PDA

View Full Version : USC Recruits with Verbals

westcoast_sooner
1/12/2010, 12:08 AM
I don't usually have too much criticism of the coaching staff, but this is something I absolutely cannot understand. Evidently some of the USC recruits have either decommitted, or decided to keep their options open. Some of these kids had OU listed pretty high. However, it doesn't seem like we're going back after the couple that might be willing to commit to OU or at least give us a 2nd look.

I realize that the class is now pretty full, only a few spots left, and there could be some promises given to some of our verbals not to take any more at certain positions, but sheesh, it just looks like this is something we could end up regretting.

Opinions?

boomerborn79
1/12/2010, 12:20 AM
I don't usually have too much criticism of the coaching staff, but this is something I absolutely cannot understand. Evidently some of the USC recruits have either decommitted, or decided to keep their options open. Some of these kids had OU listed pretty high. However, it doesn't seem like we're going back after the couple that might be willing to commit to OU or at least give us a 2nd look.

I realize that the class is now pretty full, only a few spots left, and there could be some promises given to some of our verbals not to take any more at certain positions, but sheesh, it just looks like this is something we could end up regretting.

Opinions?

Well the way I see it. I want kids that want to be here. I think they have a little more pride in OUr fine program. If we have room for 2 more than the first come the first serve(if the coache's want them). Thing is these kids (usc) seem like mem me, kids and although they are probably real good, I like the kids our coach's recruit. They all seem to be good young men. I think if bob wanted the best he could get them. I will give you an example. The OU basketball team is full of hot shots. If you watch them they are all about themselves. But Capel recruited alot of top talent. Just think of the programs that don't have alot of class when winning/losing. UF,Usc,Miami,fsu, lsu(at times) and then look at all thier 5 and 4 stars. If Bob thinks there good young men he will recruit them.

oudavid1
1/12/2010, 12:25 AM
We have maybe 2 spots left, first come first serve. My preference would be John Cullen (OL) and Jackson Jeffcoat (DE)

westcoast_sooner
1/12/2010, 01:09 AM
Well the way I see it. I want kids that want to be here. I think they have a little more pride in OUr fine program. If we have room for 2 more than the first come the first serve(if the coache's want them). Thing is these kids (usc) seem like mem me, kids and although they are probably real good, I like the kids our coach's recruit. They all seem to be good young men. I think if bob wanted the best he could get them. I will give you an example. The OU basketball team is full of hot shots. If you watch them they are all about themselves. But Capel recruited alot of top talent. Just think of the programs that don't have alot of class when winning/losing. UF,Usc,Miami,fsu, lsu(at times) and then look at all thier 5 and 4 stars. If Bob thinks there good young men he will recruit them.

I can certainly see your point, and after watching an absolutely pitiful offensive performance by the OU BB team tonight, I understand what you're saying. I've seen the Kentucky BB team this year go from what looked to be a team with a lot of potential but played sloppy, to a team that is getting better by the week.

The one thing about Coach Stoops is he always seems to get guys that will play well as a team - so getting a kid that's selfish that will disrupt the chemistry of the team doesn't help. But the question was really this. A couple of those kids that have verballed to USC are now opening things back up - Jeffcoat hasn't committed, but is widely believed to be a USC lean. Prater was supposedly high on OU at one point also. I would think that Stoops and company would at least contact them and try to get them to come to Norman. If it didn't work out, then OK. But we're not getting any of that kind of news.

Overall, I like our 2010 class and can't wait for NSD. But just figured that if there was a way to get that last difference maker or two, it would really be an excellent way to start the new year.

JMO.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2010, 01:15 AM

Opinions?

I don't know where you're getting this from. We've already contacted a couple of guys, including Xavier Grimble and Kyle Prater. At least according to Hale.

JLEW1818
1/12/2010, 01:22 AM
where is the big OT from up north going to?

KYHonorarySooner
1/12/2010, 09:26 AM

Opinions?

Who is to say we aren't contacting? If, and I have no idea how many schollies are open, we have two, I would like one of them to be Prater or Grimble. Pref. Grimble.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2010, 09:41 AM
where is the big OT from up north going to?

Seantrel Henderson? I haven't heard anything new on him.

gaylordfan1
1/12/2010, 09:57 AM
Nobody knows who our staff has contacted or who we are guiding our direction. Chances are if they wanted to come here they would... and if they have told the coaches this then who's to say we havent went after them hard. I doubt anyone knows what Bob does in his office.

OK2U
1/12/2010, 12:09 PM
ESPN:

DE Jackson Jeffcoat

Plano, TX

Plano West H.S.

Scouts Grade: 88

ESPNU150 Rank: 1

Position Rank: 1

Five-star defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat (Plano, Texas/West) has canceled his previously scheduled official visit to Florida for Jan. 15, ESPN's Gerry Hamilton reports.

He has already made official visits to Arizona State (Nov. 6), Texas (Nov. 20) and USC (Nov. 27). Jeffcoat has also made an unofficial visit to Houston, where his father, Jim, is an assistant defensive coach.

The nation's top defensive end has an official visit planned for Oklahoma on Jan. 22nd.

Jeffcoat finished his senior campaign registering 68 1/2 tackles, 8 1/2 sacks and two interceptions (one returned for a touchdown) earning first-team Class 5A All-State and district defensive player of the year recognition.

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2010, 12:11 PM
Who in the **** does this kid think he is? He would fit right in at SUC

Jesse Scroggins called his shot Monday night: He will win a national championship at USC (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/6010) in 2012. Unless he decides to go elsewhere. The Lakewood High quarterback has imposed a Saturday morning deadline for the Trojans to name a replacement for Coach Pete Carroll, who has resigned to take the same post in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks. If USC (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/6010) doesn't name a successor by then, Scroggins said, "I'm going to look for a college who could win the national championship in 2012."

85sooners
1/12/2010, 01:56 PM
Who in the **** does this kid think he is? He would fit right in at SUC:gary:

MamaMia
1/12/2010, 02:14 PM

Opinions?
What makes you think that we're not going after them? :confused:

westcoast_sooner
1/12/2010, 04:20 PM
I simply hadn't seen comments regarding getting back in touch. However, that said, I've seen comments today that indicate we ARE getting in touch with some of the guys. Would have loved to see more from Grimble and Prater, but as I said, overall, I'm happy with this class.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/12/2010, 04:48 PM
Any kid who committed to USC with the red flag out isn't too bright. And now they had to wait for the white flag to decommit? Doesn't make sense.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/12/2010, 04:50 PM
I simply hadn't seen comments regarding getting back in touch. However, that said, I've seen comments today that indicate we ARE getting in touch with some of the guys. Would have loved to see more from Grimble and Prater, but as I said, overall, I'm happy with this class.

isn't it a violation for coaches to mention these things?

idk but i thought so

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2010, 04:54 PM
Yes, it is a violation to comment on any recruitable athlete.