PDA

View Full Version : My guy McGwire finally came clean...

Collier11
1/11/2010, 03:20 PM
This is disappointing as a Cards fan but I am glad he finally came out one way or another and took the rumors on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

Boomer.....
1/11/2010, 03:24 PM
As if you didn't suspect it already.

Collier11
1/11/2010, 03:28 PM
Well ive been a Cards fan my whole life and while I always pretty much knew in the back of my mind, I held out a little bit of hope that he didnt do it. At the end of the day im not shocked, just saddened

StoopTroup
1/11/2010, 03:32 PM
I'm a Cards Fan too. As a youngster in Tulsa...the Oilers were a St. Louis Farm Team. I was and always will be a Cards Fan due to the relationship.

McGwire doesn't disappoint me in the least. He did what he thought was the right thing at the time. Steroids and baseball have plenty of opinions on both sides. I think the Sport should continue to try and repair the damage that they did to it. Mark was merely a part of the problem and as a result...he succumbed to such techniques that were being used by a lot of MLB Players. Hopefully this chapter of MBL will come to a close and the Sport will continue to find heroes who can compete like Mark, Bonds, Sosa, Clemens, Ortiz as well as many others who have given baseball fans years of great baseball.

Bonds....he probably needs to come clean too....but that's between him and whatever higher power he believes in I guess. He was never a Hero of mine so I just don't care.

Mark wasn't always as approachable as many other player IMO and I hope he decides to change that as well.

Good for him coming clean. He needed to do it IMO. I always figured he used them.

Collier11
1/11/2010, 03:35 PM
A couple of points, Steroids werent illegal in baseball til the 00's, McGwire helped save baseball post strike regardless of roids.

Finally, I bet 80% of mlb players were using HGH or roids before testing was implemented so anyone who chastises just one player is a hipocrit

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2010, 04:04 PM
Well I grew up an A's fan, so I've always had a love for LaRussa and McGwire...so my take

1. Jose Canseco is an idiot, but a truth telling one..
2. This does nothing for McGwire's image IMO....too late
3. All these athletes who come forward (agassi) way after the fact...thats not impressive to me..its like me admitting the stupid stuff I did as a teenager to my parents now...Its not like I will be punished...And if you bring up the HoF...well already voters have shown they aren't gonna support McGwire more than likely..

IMO, the home runs in a season leader is Maris and career is Hank Aaron...

Collier11
1/11/2010, 04:05 PM
The thing is, all of these voters who say they wont vote for a cheater..first of all that is hipocritical cus there are many cheaters in the hall, and they have no way of knowing who did or didnt do steroids because I am pretty certain that most did for a while

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2010, 04:13 PM
I've always had the opinion that MLB knew that McGwire and Sosa were doing them...Baseball needed that season...MLB is just as guilty for letting stuff go for so long..They should have been illegal long before they officially did it...

Personally, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire were never the guys I wanted them to bust...It was Roger F'n Clemens

Collier11
1/11/2010, 04:17 PM
true that, and they basically did although he still denies it

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2010, 04:22 PM
I still say the biggest transition in a player I've seen is Clemens last year at Boston to his first season in Toronto....Obvious

badger
1/11/2010, 04:37 PM
I am glad that McGwire was honest, and I'm sure it's a huge weight off his shoulders.

Whatever happens from here on out, whether he gets ridiculed or gets hall o' famed, he had a pretty good run in the late 90s with Sammie. People loved the two of them. They had huge endorsement deals (namely McDonalds) and Big Mac even got to meet the pope.

Most ball players won't get the type of attention, glory and honor that Mark and Sammie got those years, whether they roid up or not.

Scott D
1/11/2010, 11:44 PM
I still say the biggest transition in a player I've seen is Clemens last year at Boston to his first season in Toronto....Obvious

it's fun to watch him crash and burn because he's in such a deep state of denial.

Denton_Sooner
1/12/2010, 01:13 AM
Something went wrong in jet crash, experts say...

GrapevineSooner
1/12/2010, 08:08 AM
The thing is, all of these voters who say they wont vote for a cheater..first of all that is hipocritical cus there are many cheaters in the hall

Name them.

And did any of them 'cheat' by using performance enhancing drugs?

I'm sorry, but I'm finding some of these defenses of McGwire outright comical. He's no hero. And he's admitting it for a couple of reasons:

1) Every year that he's on the HOF ballott, he gets nowhere near the amount of votes he needs to get elected.

2) He's about to get back into the game when he goes to spring training. That fact, in and of itself, would have brought a swarm of questions about rumors of steroid abuse.

So why not get that out of the way now?

He cheated, guys. And while he did take a nice step of admitting he used steroids, he's still in a state of denial. During his interview with Costas on the MLB Network, the only thing they helped him do, he says, is recover from injuries quicker.

They did not, according to him, help him hit any one of his 70 home runs that year. He's so worried about that record being tainted that he's self deluding himself.

JLEW1818
1/12/2010, 11:37 AM
Steroids have been part of baseball's banned substance list since 1991, however testing for major league players did not begin until 2003. (according to espn)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153509

Collier11
1/12/2010, 02:35 PM
Name them.

And did any of them 'cheat' by using performance enhancing drugs?

I'm sorry, but I'm finding some of these defenses of McGwire outright comical. He's no hero. And he's admitting it for a couple of reasons:

1) Every year that he's on the HOF ballott, he gets nowhere near the amount of votes he needs to get elected.

2) He's about to get back into the game when he goes to spring training. That fact, in and of itself, would have brought a swarm of questions about rumors of steroid abuse.

So why not get that out of the way now?

He cheated, guys. And while he did take a nice step of admitting he used steroids, he's still in a state of denial. During his interview with Costas on the MLB Network, the only thing they helped him do, he says, is recover from injuries quicker.

They did not, according to him, help him hit any one of his 70 home runs that year. He's so worried about that record being tainted that he's self deluding himself.

Did you miss the part where he was going to admit everything back in 05 but congress wouldnt give him amnesty? He did what he had to do to protect his family and unlike the others, he didnt lie

soonerboy_odanorth
1/12/2010, 02:38 PM
Bonds....he probably needs to come clean too....but that's between him and whatever higher power he believes in I guess. He was never a Hero of mine so I just don't care.

No chance as long as his legal matter is still open... that would be an admission of the perjury of which he has been charged.

And along with that it probably doesn't matter if Bonds himself comes clean, because there is a good chance the jury is going to do it for him.

Scott D
1/12/2010, 05:21 PM
Steroids have been part of baseball's banned substance list since 1991, however testing for major league players did not begin until 2003. (according to espn)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153509

or more importantly, just because they weren't against baseball's rules doesn't mean that they weren't against the law in any of the 50 states of this nation, and in canada.

and yes, I do know that prescribed steroids in small doses are legal for certain medical conditions.

GrapevineSooner
1/14/2010, 03:05 PM
Mark Grace thinks Mark McGwire's reasons for using Steroids is (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/grace-worried-steroids-would-ruin-his-sex-life.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)...

"beyond belief baloney."

"I would love to hear, 'You know what I took steroids because I wanted to hit the ball farther, I wanted to throw the ball harder or I wanted to run faster,'" he said. "Ben Johnson, Marion Jones, why did they take steroids? To run faster, not to heal from injuries. They did it to run faster, OK? And I would love to start hearing, 'You know what, I did steroids because I wanted to improve my performance on the baseball field. I wanted to be bigger so I could hit the ball farther, I wanted to be able to run faster or I wanted to be able to throw the ball harder.' Then I'll start respecting some of these guys who come out and give the reasons for their steroid use. But, you know, "I had an injuruy...' Every ballplayer, every football player, every basketball player has some kind of a little nagging injury during the season. That's a baloney cop-out."

Gracie never took them because he enjoyed the fruits of being a baseball player who was single.

"I want to be able to perform. It's kinda funny but it's not. That stuff will tear you up as far as your manhood's concerned."

Collier11
1/14/2010, 03:07 PM
whats funny is that just because players like Grace (not a HR hitter) and Kruk(fat) and the like say that they didnt do roids we believe them. I call BS, I think in the 80's and 90's the majority of players were taking roids

Scott D
1/14/2010, 11:17 PM
it's ok collier, really it's ok. McGwire just confirmed the worst secret this side of Clemens using roids...he's just still as self-deluded about it now as Roger remains about his use.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 12:43 AM
atleast he admitted it

GrapevineSooner
1/15/2010, 10:30 AM
But he won't admit the 'roids helped him hit 70 Home Runs in 1998.

So, it's really not much of an admission.

As for your charge, well, believe what you want to believe.

GrapevineSooner
1/15/2010, 10:42 AM
And before you get to it, I'd like the following to happen.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) - Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz admitted that he used performance enhancing drugs for the last decade.

"I knew that if I didn't use them, I'd become just another journeyman player, just like I was when I was released by the Minnesota Twins," Ortiz said.

When asked if he used them to become a power hitter, Ortiz said yes.

"Yeah man. I'm not going to try and do something stupid like McGwire and convince you I took them for any other reason than to become a better power hitter. That's why everyone took them."

MojoRisen
1/15/2010, 11:11 AM
Asteriks for Mcquire and the rest of the Cheaters, it is unfortunate that Baseball allowed this to happen - but using steriods definitely bolstered the numbers - proof is in the pudding. Sosa, Bonds, Palmero, Mcguire all used and made millions doing it.

They are laughing all the way to the bank - NO hall - at least Mcguire is not being black balled from Baseball like Canseco - if he didn't come forward non of this would have come out.

rawlingsHOH
1/15/2010, 02:06 PM
Yet Pujols, the untouchable, skates free.

Scott D
1/15/2010, 03:51 PM
I think what irritates me most about this situation is the way the Maris family has acted. McGwire isn't sad and crying about the fact that he used steriods and is begging forgiveness of you and your elderly mother. He's crying because he knew he was caught and wasn't going to get any support from anyone not named Tony LaRussa (who I still feel fully knew that McGwire was roiding up). For you to believe this charade is as shameful as the charade that is McGwire's career.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 03:56 PM
Yet Pujols, the untouchable, skates free.

Nice try, pretty pathetic in your desperation to stir the pot. There has been drug testing in all but one of Pujols pro seasons if I remember correctly, he has never failed a test, not one. He has repeatedly said he would take a test anytime they asked him to.

Now if you want to argue that he might be on HGH, who knows, maybe but I doubt it. I promise you this, if he is on HGH then every single other major league ball player is on it as well. But again, I doubt he touches the stuff

Scott D
1/15/2010, 04:02 PM
and the more I think about it, I think I hate this "sympathetic figure" the media is spinning McGwire into being. **** Mark McGwire, he cheated to get the records he got. Canseco blew the whistle on him, and got laughed at. Clemens gets to hide from everyone right now using the threat of laughable lawsuits to keep him out of the spotlight.

I got no love for Barry Bonds, but even without the pending perjury charges, there is no ****ing way he'd get anything remotely in the same ballpark in sympathy as McGwire is getting now, and that Clemens will likely get when he admits he roided up 10 years from now.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 04:05 PM
well like it or not, Mcgwire is getting sympathy because he is a nice guy, Bonds and Clemens were out and out pricks and they earned their disdain from fans and the media

Scott D
1/15/2010, 05:41 PM
You watch, Clemens' transgressions will be forgiven within a year of him admitting them.

**** Mark McGwire, Dan was the real talent in that family ;)

Collier11
1/15/2010, 06:55 PM
seahawks made a big mistake in cutting him

rawlingsHOH
1/19/2010, 10:08 AM
whats funny is that just because players like Grace (not a HR hitter) and Kruk(fat) and the like say that they didnt do roids we believe them. I call BS, I think in the 80's and 90's the majority of players were taking roids

Definitely not in the 80s. Perhaps in the 90s.

rawlingsHOH
1/19/2010, 10:15 AM
Nice try, pretty pathetic in your desperation to stir the pot. There has been drug testing in all but one of Pujols pro seasons if I remember correctly, he has never failed a test, not one. He has repeatedly said he would take a test anytime they asked him to.

Now if you want to argue that he might be on HGH, who knows, maybe but I doubt it. I promise you this, if he is on HGH then every single other major league ball player is on it as well. But again, I doubt he touches the stuff
I could tell you a story about Santa Claus, that I'd doubt you'd like to hear, but how about this instead...

I played in the Frontier League with a guy from Maple Woods, who guaranteed AP was an abuser there. Hair falling out, talking like he had a 10 pound tongue, etc. Not to mention, everybody thought he was a COACH because he looked so damn old. 29, my asss!

It's a duck.

Collier11
1/19/2010, 12:47 PM
Has he ever tested positive? BTW, colleges randomly test as well, probably even before MLB