PDA

View Full Version : So let's say the NCAA posse finally rides into town...

SoonerBK
1/11/2010, 10:41 AM
Now that Carrol is gone, maybe the NCAA gets involved and gets to the bottom of some of the poop that is going around.
1. Do they have to give up a National Title?
2. Would it then be handed to Oklahoma?
3. If that happend, would the University even accept it?
4. Would the fans want it?

I'm not sure I would. However it would be fun for the truth to finaaly come out. A guy can dream can't he?

JLEW1818
1/11/2010, 10:47 AM
if Pete Carroll ended up in prison, a smile would be on my face

KYHonorarySooner
1/11/2010, 10:54 AM
if Pete Carroll ended up in prison, a smile would be on my face

Let's look beyond football for just a moment. I believe Pete Carroll is as much of a humanitarian as his schedule allows. It's pretty widely known that as USC's head coach he went into rough neighborhoods, often times gang controlled, in and around LA to help at risk youth. I don't think our country would be best served with him locked up. Sorry to be so heavy before 10.

OUDoc
1/11/2010, 10:58 AM
Let's look beyond football for just a moment. I believe Pete Carroll is as much of a humanitarian as his schedule allows. It's pretty widely known that as USC's head coach he went into rough neighborhoods, often times gang controlled, in and around LA to help at risk youth. I don't think our country would be best served with him locked up. Sorry to be so heavy before 10.

The faster kids get free homes.

sooneredaco
1/11/2010, 10:59 AM
No I dont think Oklahoma would lay claim. But Auburn would try and so since they went 13-0 that season, but then Alabama would get it since Auburn is in the State of Alabama. They add it to thier 87 before that. Add this years 4 titles and they have 126 total. Just plain 'ole Alabama math. It's just that simple

lexsooner
1/11/2010, 11:02 AM
Now that Carrol is gone, maybe the NCAA gets involved and gets to the bottom of some of the poop that is going around.

I'm not sure I would. However it would be fun for the truth to finaaly come out. A guy can dream can't he?

I thought the NCAA had no authority to "hand" the national title to another team. They do have the authority to order USC's wins with Bush playing in 2004 and 2005, vacated or forfeited. My understanding is the BCS has no existing rules covering this situation, so they would have to meet and decide a course of action, whether to do nothing, declare it a vacant title, or award the BSC title to OU. If the win over OU is "vacated" that means the win is taken from USC but OU is not awarded the win. A forfeit would mean OU gets the W and USC is credited with a loss. I suppose if the former happened, the BCS could declare no champion that year. If OU is awarded a forfeit, that would be a stickier situation. It still seems unlikely OU would end up with the title.

The impression I get is most OU fans do not want the title. I am not sure how the school would handle this unlikely situation. I mean, it would be one for the record books for sure, but I would hope the school would not display it, and if they did, it would need a big asterisk next to it, a Texas sized asterisk. But once again, all of this seems farfetched.

If anyone knows anything more about all this, feel free to correct me or otherwise chime in. I just want USC to get hit hard with probation and Bush and USC to lose their titles and trophies.

sooneredaco
1/11/2010, 11:04 AM

It's actually a brilliant recruiting scheme. If a guy can out run the cops and bullets, he can definitely out run a d-back or a saftey

lexsooner
1/11/2010, 11:05 AM
No I dont think Oklahoma would lay claim. But Auburn would try and so since they went 13-0 that season, but then Alabama would get it since Auburn is in the State of Alabama. They add it to thier 87 before that. Add this years 4 titles and they have 126 total. Just plain 'ole Alabama math. It's just that simple

Auburn's problem is their No. 2 ranking was based upon OU getting trounced bad in the Orange Bowl. If the NCAA invalidates that result, how can Auburn claim they should get it, especially since they did not even qualify for the BCS title game in the first place? I have seen Auburn boards, and their fans want it bad. I think they have zero or one legit NC, so they are much hungrier than we are.

JLEW1818
1/11/2010, 11:08 AM
I could go into bad neighborhoods too. if i had money and cars and women to give away.. :D :D

sooneredaco
1/11/2010, 11:09 AM
How cool would it be to go and get all of the players from that season and have an OU vs Auburn game! We would trounce them! I bet Jerry's world would love to host that game.

JLEW1818
1/11/2010, 11:10 AM
idk about that.... Jason Campbell be playing in the NFL

Jason White?? lol dunno what he be doing

Ronnie Brown and Cadillac

sooneredaco
1/11/2010, 11:15 AM
I'm fgoing to work on a where are they now roster.... I don't have a lot going on right now can anyone tell

OUDoc
1/11/2010, 11:17 AM
Auburn's problem is their No. 2 ranking was based upon OU getting trounced bad in the Orange Bowl. If the NCAA invalidates that result, how can Auburn claim they should get it, especially since they did not even qualify for the BCS title game in the first place? I have seen Auburn boards, and their fans want it bad. I think they have zero or one legit NC, so they are much hungrier than we are.

Exactly, Auburn didn't play for it, they can't have it.

Hopefully the official champion from that year would be nobody, which would be a shame that a cheating usc took away a MNC from a damn good team that didn't cheat.

JLEW1818
1/11/2010, 11:17 AM
I'm fgoing to work on a where are they now roster.... I don't have a lot going on right now can anyone tell

do it

RacerX
1/11/2010, 11:38 AM
Exactly, Auburn didn't play for it, they can't have it.

Hopefully the official champion from that year would be nobody, which would be a shame that a cheating usc took away a MNC from a damn good team that didn't cheat.

This.

sooneredaco
1/11/2010, 11:42 AM
ok below is who we have in the NFL off of the 2005 team. I;m having a tough time getting the same info for Auburn.

DB Eric Bassey
St. Louis Rams No. 41
OU Letters: 2002-2005
LB Curtis Lofton
Atlanta Falcons No. 50
OU Letters: 2005-2007
K Garrett Hartley
New Orleans Saints No. 5
OU Letters: 2004-2007
RB Allen Patrick
New York Giants No. 33
WR Juaquin Iglesias
Chicago Bears No. 17
OU Letters: 2005-2008
RB Adrian Peterson
Minnesota Vikings No. 28
OU Letters: 2004-2006
LB Clint Ingram
Jacksonville Jaguars No. 51
OU Letters: 2001-2005
DE C.J. Ah You
St. Louis Rams No. 98
OU Letters: 2005-2006
WR Manuel Johnson
Dallas Cowboys No. 87
OL Duke Robinson
Carolina Panthers No. 72
DB Nic Harris
Buffalo Bills No. 54
DB Reggie Smith
San Francisco 49ers No. 31
OG Davin Joseph
Tampa Bay Bucs No. 75
DB Marcus Walker
Carolina Panthers No. 24
WR Malcolm Kelly
Washington Redskins No. 12
OL Chris Chester
Baltimore Ravens No. 65

A total of 16 in the NFL from OUr 2005 Team Roster

SteelClip49
1/11/2010, 11:56 AM
AUBURN's 1957 AP title is lonely and wants company.

I would say give it to UTAH because of going 12-0 but that would mean Urban Meyer would have 3 titles to his name...don't want that.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2010, 11:58 AM
OU would be team of the decade! :D

goingoneight
1/11/2010, 12:33 PM
ok below is who we have in the NFL off of the 2005 team. I;m having a tough time getting the same info for Auburn.

DB Eric Bassey
St. Louis Rams No. 41
LB Curtis Lofton
Atlanta Falcons No. 50
K Garrett Hartley
New Orleans Saints No. 5
RB Allen Patrick
New York Giants No. 33
WR Juaquin Iglesias
Chicago Bears No. 17
RB Adrian Peterson
Minnesota Vikings No. 28
OU Letters: 2004-2006
LB Clint Ingram
Jacksonville Jaguars No. 51
DE C.J. Ah You
St. Louis Rams No. 98
OU Letters: 2005-2006
WR Manuel Johnson
Dallas Cowboys No. 87
OL Duke Robinson
Carolina Panthers No. 72
DB Nic Harris
Buffalo Bills No. 54
DB Reggie Smith
San Francisco 49ers No. 31
OG Davin Joseph
Tampa Bay Bucs No. 75
DB Marcus Walker
Carolina Panthers No. 24
WR Malcolm Kelly
Washington Redskins No. 12
OL Chris Chester
Baltimore Ravens No. 65

A total of 16 in the NFL from OUr 2005 Team Roster

Too bad TGWWDNSO was in 2004, before MK,JI and MJ's time.

Brett Romar is in NY with the Midjants; he was on the '04 roster.

Desert Sapper
1/11/2010, 12:47 PM
AD could beat the 2004 Auburn team by himself.

StoopTroup
1/11/2010, 12:49 PM
One can use the search button on this board and put in Eric Bassey and see how hard fans were on him. He still is part of a very impressive list of NFL players. I was glad to see him play after leaving OU. He deserved the shot IMO. His game wasn't flawless but he kept hanging in there for us even when the monster reared it's ugly head.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2010, 01:08 PM
I think your list is a little dated...and Bomar is a practice squadder

fossil
1/11/2010, 01:17 PM

Maybe, maybe, no, no.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2010, 01:32 PM
Can the university turn it down? They don't have to display the trophy or even accept it, but I'm not sure the university can prevent the BCS from declaring it the national champion, at least as far as records are concerned.

StoopTroup
1/11/2010, 01:51 PM
Can the university turn it down? They don't have to display the trophy or even accept it, but I'm not sure the university can prevent the BCS from declaring it the national champion, at least as far as records are concerned.

The BCS could hold em down and give em a red belly until they give in.

mildy NSFW

LEvRHqWIWU0

Collier11
1/11/2010, 02:15 PM
There is a guy on OUinsider who claims to be good friends with a big time usc donor, apparently donor is expecting or hearing that they will be hit with LOIC in Aug or Dec and will be docked wins and 5-10 schollys a year.

Now, please take this for what its worth. This is just a guys opinion and who knows if he even really knows a donor and if the donor even really knows anything, just thought itd be interesting to discuss

MeMyself&Me
1/11/2010, 02:48 PM

I thought the NCAA had no authority to "hand" the national title to another team. They do have the authority to order USC's wins with Bush playing in 2004 and 2005, vacated or forfeited. My understanding is the BCS has no existing rules covering this situation, so they would have to meet and decide a course of action, whether to do nothing, declare it a vacant title, or award the BSC title to OU. If the win over OU is "vacated" that means the win is taken from USC but OU is not awarded the win. A forfeit would mean OU gets the W and USC is credited with a loss. I suppose if the former happened, the BCS could declare no champion that year. If OU is awarded a forfeit, that would be a stickier situation. It still seems unlikely OU would end up with the title.

The impression I get is most OU fans do not want the title. I am not sure how the school would handle this unlikely situation. I mean, it would be one for the record books for sure, but I would hope the school would not display it, and if they did, it would need a big asterisk next to it, a Texas sized asterisk. But once again, all of this seems farfetched.

If anyone knows anything more about all this, feel free to correct me or otherwise chime in. I just want USC to get hit hard with probation and Bush and USC to lose their titles and trophies.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA does not have the power to make the BCS/AP change who their champions are for a given year. However, I'm pretty sure they can tell USC not to honor it, ie not to publish that they have a particular championship in their media guide and not to put signs stating such in their stadium and don't display a trophy.

If they were to do that to USC, you would no longer see USC claiming that title on campus or in any SC publication. However, the BCS and the AP is not going to bother going back and awarding their championship to anyone else so the media and most fans, including USC fans, will still call that 2004 year a title for USC and in the end, that's all that matters.

They may be forced to vacate wins and not recognize titles, but they're still going to be universally remembered as the champions of '04 unfortunately.

Best to just hope for severe scholly limitations for a long time.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2010, 03:00 PM
I think the BCS will officially vacate the title as well.

lexsooner
1/11/2010, 03:01 PM
When they dole out punishment, the NCAA has been "vacating" the wins in which ineligible players participated. Vacating wins does not change the status of the teams which lost on the field or court, so if the NCAA vacates USC's Orange Bowl win, OU would still be credited with a loss in the record books.

That being said, although the BCS could go back and retroactively do anything they want, it just does not seem likely (or right for that matter) they would give OU the BCS title just because the NCAA vacated USC's win. After all, we would still be the loser in the record books. I suppose they could strip USC of their BSC title, but I really don't think OU would be awarded anything. Just as well because we did nothing to earn it and accordingly don't want it.

bonkuba
1/11/2010, 03:50 PM
AD could beat the 2004 Auburn team by himself.

Nuff said...... :D

KYHonorarySooner
1/11/2010, 03:57 PM

Hahahaaha....

Bourbon St Sooner
1/11/2010, 04:42 PM
After the BCS vacates the title, I think all copies of that OB game should be destroyed and the Men In Black give everybody that light thing so nobody remembers it.

Seems only right.

Collier11
1/11/2010, 04:46 PM
what game are you speaking of?

StoopTroup
1/11/2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah. I got nuthin'

GKeeper316
1/11/2010, 05:22 PM
whats football? and ive never heard of this "oklahoma"

TMcGee86
1/11/2010, 06:10 PM
I don't see them vacating any wins. I think instead they give them like a bowl ban for a year and pull some schollies.

Just a feeling I get since it was people outside the program and not boosters.

budbarrybob
1/11/2010, 06:24 PM
In 25 years after we have 5 more MNC's under our belt, who'd care that we got one "given" to us by the BCS. I say give it to us and when we catch crap for it, it will give us motivation to earn another one.

walkoffsooner
1/11/2010, 06:29 PM
If they give us the win I want a t shirt.

Soonerfan88
1/11/2010, 08:52 PM
Does the NCAA even have the right to vacate or forfeit a bowl game? I know they have a subcommittee that approves all the bowls but I thought they had no authority over the game itself? The BCS would be the ones responsible for designating a new champion, not the NCAA.

There is no way to know who would have even been in the game if Bush & others weren't playing for USC. There would most likely have been a different champion from the Pac-10 and I'm not sure if USC played anyong non-con that year (too lazy to look it up) that might have only had that one loss. So many variables to the season, OU's horrendous play in the game, Auburn's squeaker win over a not great Va Tech team -- I think it best just to leave the championship empty that year.

Dan Thompson
1/11/2010, 08:59 PM
Yes, I saw Pete go into the troubled areas of LA to talk to the kids, on camera, on 60 minutes. I never heard or read one word about before then or after.

To me, it was just more Hollwood.

lexsooner
1/11/2010, 09:23 PM
Yes, I saw Pete go into the troubled areas of LA to talk to the kids, on camera, on 60 minutes. I never heard or read one word about before then or after.

To me, it was just more Hollwood.

Maybe he was touched after he saw the movie Boyz in the Hood and USC recruit Ricky get shot.

wishbonesooner
1/11/2010, 09:26 PM
What would we want with a title we didn't win? Don't want it, don't need it.

lexsooner
1/11/2010, 09:32 PM
Does the NCAA even have the right to vacate or forfeit a bowl game? I know they have a subcommittee that approves all the bowls but I thought they had no authority over the game itself? The BCS would be the ones responsible for designating a new champion, not the NCAA.

There is no way to know who would have even been in the game if Bush & others weren't playing for USC. There would most likely have been a different champion from the Pac-10 and I'm not sure if USC played anyong non-con that year (too lazy to look it up) that might have only had that one loss. So many variables to the season, OU's horrendous play in the game, Auburn's squeaker win over a not great Va Tech team -- I think it best just to leave the championship empty that year.

Yes, I believe the NCAA has the authority to vacate a bowl win since it is an NCAA-sanctioned event. They made OU vacate its bowl win over Oregon in 2005 (which OU subsequently got back on appeal). However, you are correct in that the NCAA cannot take or award a national title. The BCS and AP do that on their own.

DenverSooner751
1/11/2010, 09:45 PM
I don't want the title, not one bit.....

It will be gratifying enough to know that SC gets it taken away (if that happens.)

Will be very interesting to see this play out though, what (if any) punishments are handed down as a result of this investigation and even more interesting, who is going to take over the program? I didn't see anyone point this out but remember when Bammer was on probation and the circus that became of that team? Granted they didn't have great leadership during that period either (maybe because high caliber coaches wanted nothing to do with the program - just an opinion) I would like nothing more than to see this happen to SUC.

DenverSooner751
1/11/2010, 09:46 PM
Perhaps no more Snoop Dogg at practice? LOL.

Collier11
1/11/2010, 11:42 PM
and this interesting note, man it is going to come down hard on u$c eventually...

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...ss&ty pe=lgns

Report: Former USC assistant claims receiving painkillers from team doctors to feed addiction

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
48 minutes ago

A former Southern California assistant football coach stated in legal documents that he received prescriptions from team and university doctors he used to feed his addiction to painkillers, SI.com reported Monday.

The website reported Dave Watson said in a deposition that he told then-Trojans coach Pete Carroll of his addiction in February 2008, but was allowed to keep his job and use a vehicle provided by USC.

Watson was involved in a car accident in May 2008, in which he pleaded no contest to DUI charges and received three years' probation, SI.com reported. The driver of the car Watson hit is now suing Watson and USC.

In the three months between Watson's alleged discussion with Carroll and the crash, Watson was prescribed 1,680 tablets of pain medication, SI.com reported, citing the deposition.

Carroll fired Watson eight months after the accident, saying the defensive line coach was too hard on players, SI.com reported.

Watson said under oath he had developed a significant addiction to painkillers after sustaining a serious knee injury while playing for the University of Minnesota.

Accoring to SI.com, a hearing is scheduled for Jan. 26 in a Los Angeles courtroom to address Carroll's pending deposition in the civil case.

Crucifax Autumn
1/11/2010, 11:49 PM
I have a backache. Maybe I should apply for a SUC job.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2010, 11:58 PM
Did this just break? No mention of it on wearsc.

Collier11
1/12/2010, 12:26 AM
The report above says 48 min ago so whatever time it was posted

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 03:17 AM
Still no announcement on wearesc. Odd. I wanna' see some Meltdown Motion.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/12/2010, 03:25 AM
Meltdowns are hard to follow with that horrible stacked box format **** they do over there at wearesc ;)

StoopTroup
1/12/2010, 04:03 AM
In the three months between Watson's alleged discussion with Carroll and the crash, Watson was prescribed 1,680 tablets of pain medication, SI.com reported, citing the deposition.

I'd say that's a significant addiction....lol

I think they say if you take more than 4000 milligrams of acetaminophen which a lot of those have these days...your in real danger of damaging your liver and kidneys and Central Nervous System.

Sounds like the guy getting fired was the right thing for Pete to do to me. I mean...he might have gotten them illicitly....but he was the one getting them and using them.

Sounds like spoiled milk to me. I do agree though that somebody up there might want to rethink the use of their RX pad. Would bet there are some folks scrambling about that.

SoonerBorn
1/12/2010, 04:50 PM
NCAA probe of USC complete (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AsrFYWBIKCMZQAg5PxsW8BYcvrYF?slug=ys-uscprobe01110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

MyT Oklahoma
1/13/2010, 01:17 AM
Meanwhile.. what happens to Reggie Bush's Heisman if the hammer also drops on him? Or is his Heisman already missing-in-action just like O.J.'s?

Collier11
1/13/2010, 01:27 AM
Honestly I dont care, just like the natl title trophy. Reggie Bush was still the best player on the field that year IMO, some could argue Vince Young and thats fine too. I just think it is a shame that usc will get hammered while Petey Boy and Reggie will go unscathed