PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Riley Tells USC, no thanks.

boomersooner28
1/11/2010, 07:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4814999

Sooner in Tampa
1/11/2010, 07:59 AM
Petey has poisoned the well as SC...it will be interesting to see who is willing to take a bullet and become the next Trojan HC

PLaw
1/11/2010, 08:30 AM
Eugene v. LA??? Lifestyle is probably a lot better than USC's location. Granted, Carroll drives by more athletes on his way to the office than Riley or Stoops will see in a year of hard recruiting.

OR, USC is going down hard at the hand of the NCAA and everyone in the know knows it.

BOOMER

OUinFLA
Petey has poisoned the well as SC...it will be interesting to see who is willing to take a bullet and become the next Trojan HC

I am.

I'll work for half of Petey's salary.

I need a career change.

fadada1
i would rather coach a team with terrel owens, alan iverson, chad JOHNSON, gilbert arenas, and manny ramirez than be the next head coach at usc. i also don't have the money to buy an uzi to get to and from work in south central LA.

Sooner in Tampa
1/11/2010, 08:43 AM
I am.

I'll work for half of Petey's salary.

I need a career change.
Deal

Can I be the Defensive Coordinator?

stoopified
1/11/2010, 08:57 AM
I wanna run the offense.I;m thinking of bringing back the single-wing attack.Guys together I think we could take the Condomns to records they never dreamed of(2-10,1-11,0-12).

After about ten years at USC,I say me move on to UT,and then ND.

OUDoc
1/11/2010, 09:07 AM
I don't know **** about X's and O's of football.
Need a team physician? How much does it pay?

OU4LIFE
1/11/2010, 09:52 AM
they'll keep you stocked in crack.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2010, 09:53 AM
Doc loves crack

Jacie
1/11/2010, 09:54 AM
And here's why.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/USC-wants-Mike-Riley-again-Oregon-State-will-;_ylt=Aia7NqlsvqbzQj4ntx_sMMMcvrYF?urn=ncaaf,21268 1

Since returning to his hometown in 2003 for his second go-round as the top man at Oregon State, Riley's Beavers have also been responsible for upsets that ended USC's 26-game Pac-10 win streak in 2006 and knocked the Trojans from No. 1 in 2008, both of which may have kept SC from playing for the BCS championship. Riley is responsible for turning OSU from a perennial bottom dweller into a consistent winner that was one quarter against Oregon last month from snapping a 45-year Rose Bowl drought, and early indications are that USC doesn't intend to let him get away again.

The push to lure Riley back to L.A. is expected to be so strong, in fact, that Oregon State is gearing up to battle its much richer rival the only way it can, by offering to make Riley a permanent fixture as long as he's willing to stay:

Riley's current contract is a seven-year deal that includes a provision that tacks on an additional season each year the Beavers qualify for a bowl game. [OSU athletic director Bob] DeCarolis said Saturday he's prepared to turn Riley's contract into a lifetime guarantee that would make him the Beavers coach until he retires.

"Mike's said he wants to be the Joe Paterno of Oregon State," DeCarolis said. "So we'll put something together to make (his contract) a lifetime deal."

The "Paterno" line is only slight hyperbole: Riley has said he regrets leaving Corvallis for the Chargers gig in 1999 and has no plans to make the same mistake with his second chance. The Beavers' 36-17 mark since 2006 is easily the best four-year run at Oregon State since before the Great Depression.

Of course, USC is USC, home of national championships, a legion of Heisman winners, the nation's most coveted recruiting pipeline and many other amenities Oregon State can only dream of -- and USC can pay. But USC is also staring at major NCAA sanctions over the next year, another likely impetus for Carroll's departure, and whoever ultimately accepts the job will do so under the specter of a) The talent faucet running temporarily dry in the wake of possible scholarship reductions and/or a postseason ban; and b) Being fired in four years, after the storm has passed, the damage has been assessed, and the program is in position to go after the real slam-dunk hire it's not in very good position to make right now.

In Riley's case, it would be the exact opposite of the ultimate stability he stands to gain at Oregon State: With star players going pro, major recruits baling out and NCAA investigators looming off the program's worst season in eight years, USC's immediate future couldn't be more unstable. The USC brand may still be worth it for a coach who's already in an uncertain position himself, but the smart money is setting itself up to be in position to be the guy who follows the next guy if the next guy is dumped in 2013.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/11/2010, 09:57 AM
Eugene v. LA??? Lifestyle is probably a lot better than USC's location. Granted, Carroll drives by more athletes on his way to the office than Riley or Stoops will see in a year of hard recruiting.

OR, USC is going down hard at the hand of the NCAA and everyone in the know knows it.

BOOMER

Looks like a pretty good indicator that the NCAA is about to lower the boom.

However, they also might give USC some extra scholarships.....just because.

Skinshokiefan
1/11/2010, 10:01 AM
No surprise, who wants to join that mess thats about to occur at USC?

sendbaht
1/11/2010, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=PLaw;2812945]Eugene v. LA??? Lifestyle is probably a lot better than USC's location. Granted, Carroll drives by more athletes on his way to the office than Riley or Stoops will see in a year of hard recruiting.

BOOMER[/QUOTe"

Sooner

Well, Or St is not in Eugene. As far as LA is concerned Peter lived in Palos Verdes and SUPER nice area in LA. But I am happy Riley turned it down, I hope everyone does but some 4 class coach.

badger
1/11/2010, 10:14 AM
As we've all pointed out repeated in these SC discussions, the punishment for Petey's actions, lack of oversight, recruiting issues, etc., will not follow Carroll to the Neffell. They will stay right there in Southern Cal.

The same issues about which campus has a better environment - Corvalis (sp?) or Los Angeles - come up whenever another school discusses Bob Stoops staying at Oklahoma or going anywhere else. What do we tell them? Other than eff off? Norman might not be sunny Florida, or sunny California, or sunny anywhere else, but it's home to Stoops' family.

Why then, is it so unfathomable that the Oregon State coach would want to stay where he was one win away from going to the Rose Bowl this year, where he and his family have been welcomed and his program has been winning a modest amount of games? Why is it so easy for us to understand why Bob Stoops stays, but hard to understand why other coaches don't stay at their own programs? Oregon State might not be Oklahoma as far as football goes, but for Riley, it's home.

Flagstaffsooner
1/11/2010, 10:33 AM
Riley would rather stay in Beaver than put on a condom.

Yeah, I know but somebody would eventually say it.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/11/2010, 10:50 AM

BOOMER

Oregon State is in Corvallis, been there a couple times, its a pretty nice town and Riley grew up there because his dad was the D coordinator at Oregon State so thats probly a draw to stay around there. He's also been quoted as saying the grass isnt always greener after his stint as the Chargers head coach.

OUDoc
1/11/2010, 10:50 AM
Riley would rather stay in Beaver than put on a condom.

Yeah, I know but somebody would eventually say it.

Good point. A Trojan can fill a Beaver position, but not vice versa.

RedstickSooner
1/11/2010, 11:32 AM
i would rather coach a team with terrel owens, alan iverson, chad JOHNSON, gilbert arenas, and manny ramirez than be the next head coach at usc. i also don't have the money to buy an uzi to get to and from work in south central LA.

An uzi would be a foolhardy way to get to work. Uzi doesn't stop bullets. Hell, you might even get shot *for* the uzi.

With his kind of money he could easily afford an armored car. And were I in his position I'd probably buy one simply for the shlitz & giggles it would afford you by letting you drive through the most dangerous parts of L.A. anytime you wanted.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2010, 12:00 PM
Granted, Carroll drives by more athletes on his way to the office than Riley or Stoops will see in a year of hard recruiting.

You forgot to add, "With apologies to Barry Switzer."

StoopTroup
1/11/2010, 12:22 PM
Deal

Can I be the Defensive Coordinator?

If you guys get there....please consider me for Physical Trainer for the Cheerleaders. I'm old but I got skillz. :D ;)

http://www.barebonestraining.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/russiankettlebells.jpg

ouduckhunter
1/11/2010, 01:38 PM

BOOMER

Corvallis is small, but it is a very nice, beautiful, old college town. The campus is great. It's full of nice old buildings, beautiful gardens, old towering trees, etc. I think that the population is around 50,000 or so, and the town and campus remind me of going to school in Norman back in the 70's!! Corvallis isn't SoCal, but it does have a certain charm, and it's close to the mountains and the ocean too. People are really friendly there, and the game day atmosphere is very fun, i.e., everybody is drunk!

I'm really glad that Riley turned down USUC because we go to 2 or 3 games there every year. Beaver football isn't OU football by any stretch of the imagination, but it keeps us happy since we can't make it to OU games very often. Riley is well respected both as a coach, and as an individual, so I'm glad that he declined to go in and mop up Pete's mess!!

I think that USUC will eventually have to go with a former player who is now coaching in the pros. It will take somebody with die hard devotion to the USUC football program to want to deal with the mess that Petey has created! :pop: