PDA

View Full Version : Texas has a disgraceful schedule for 2010

lexsooner
1/10/2010, 04:15 PM
Check this out: http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/fb-future-schedules.html

Rice, Wyoming, and Florida Atlantic are their non-conference games. And their partial schedules for subsequent years are not that much more impressive. Come to think of it, has Texas played any strong teams in non-conference other than Ohio St. twice in recent years?

sooner59
1/10/2010, 04:19 PM
They have UCLA as well, but that isn't much more impressive than Wyoming. In fact Wyoming probably would have beaten UCLA in a bowl game if they had played.

Flagstaffsooner
1/10/2010, 04:25 PM
Hey, its at Rice. Maybe the hOUston climate will invigorate Mack's alligator skin.

JLEW1818
well their schedule will be a bigger challenge this year (not b/c they made it that way)

vs Oklahoma
@ Nebraska
@ Tech
@ Kstate

delhalew
This is standard for the whorns. Despite their bravado, the desperately seek the path of least resistance, and still they fall short.

bluedogok
1/10/2010, 04:26 PM
They try to schedule decent teams but no one worth playing is willing to give them the "better end of the deal" like UT always expects. I am sure they are expecting no return away game or a 2 for 1 which I think they did with Wyoming and UCF.

Yeah, Arkansas pulled out on this this season for the JerryWorld game with A&M but I think that may have been a 2 for 1 deal as well because UT lost here in Austin and won in Fayetteville and they were supposed to return to Austin for the game.

JLEW1818
1/10/2010, 04:27 PM
They try to schedule decent teams but no one worth playing is willing to give them the "better end of the deal" like UT always expects. I am sure they are expecting no return away game or a 2 for 1 which I think they did with Wyoming and UCF.

Yeah, Arkansas pulled out on this this season for the JerryWorld game with A&M but I think that may have been a 2 for 1 deal as well because UT lost here in Austin and won in Fayetteville and they were supposed to return to Austin for the game.

was it 2 for 1 with Wyoming? or like 5 for 1 ? lol :D

85sooners
1/10/2010, 04:58 PM
:texan: :texan:

illinisooner
1/10/2010, 05:04 PM
Both of Texas' trips to the national title game came during seasons where the Big 12 was down and their non conference schedule was pretty soft (the game at Columbus excludes 05, but they're still responsible for 09). Now I never can fault a team if the conference is down (what, it's their fault everyone else sucks?) but it hurts them when they get to the title game because they haven't played a great opposition up to that point. Sometimes it's just luck (for instance, playing good teams at home or playing in tough venues like Kyle Field when the Aggies are in a real down year), but the bottom line is that it helps you reach the title game, but hurts you when you get there.

lexsooner
1/10/2010, 06:04 PM
I honestly can't remember Texas playing any strong non-conference teams other than Ohio State twice. I recall lots of beating up on Rice, North Texas State, Houston, Florida Atlantic. They scheduled some "ok" teams like NC State and Stanford and got upset. It would make lots of sense for Texas to play TCU, since they are an in-state team like Rice and NTSU. Oh wait, TCU is really good now, so forget it.

soonerfromgeorgia
1/10/2010, 06:17 PM
I wish the Big 10 would recruit Iowa State for their 12th team and then the Big 12 could bring in TCU, but that would require one of the Okla. teams moving to the North bracket which would actually even things up.
Nebraska is going to have a cake walk on that side for a few years :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
1/10/2010, 06:50 PM
Nebraska gets the horns at home this year.. me like

Salt City Sooner
1/10/2010, 06:50 PM
I honestly can't remember Texas playing any strong non-conference teams other than Ohio State twice. I recall lots of beating up on Rice, North Texas State, Houston, Florida Atlantic. They scheduled some "ok" teams like NC State and Stanford and got upset. It would make lots of sense for Texas to play TCU, since they are an in-state team like Rice and NTSU. Oh wait, TCU is really good now, so forget it.
They had Hawaii, but the bank account suddenly ran dry. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 06:51 PM
I wish the Big 10 would recruit Iowa State for their 12th team and then the Big 12 could bring in TCU, but that would require one of the Okla. teams moving to the North bracket which would actually even things up.
Nebraska is going to have a cake walk on that side for a few years :rolleyes:

A cupcake is a cupcake, plus you might lose little brother to the North and we can't have any of that...

GKeeper316
1/10/2010, 07:48 PM
they play a total of 2 games outside the state of texas, where thier fanbase is unquestionably the biggest in the country...

bluedogok
1/10/2010, 08:44 PM
They had Hawaii, but the bank account suddenly ran dry. :rolleyes:
That may have been their "excuse" at the time, I think it was really because they were doing pretty well under June Jones at the time.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 08:57 PM
They had Hawaii, but the bank account suddenly ran dry.

As Ricky Ricardo would say, "It was too spensive."

Salt City Sooner
1/10/2010, 08:59 PM
That may have been their "excuse" at the time, I think it was really because they were doing pretty well under June Jones at the time.
Oh, no doubt it was. UH went from 0 wins to 9 wins in Jones first year ('99) & it was thanks but no thanks in extremely short order. The ironic thing is, that the year that the game was supposed to happen ('00) UH reverted back to 3-9.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 09:14 PM
Is that Oklahoma City Businessmen team still available?

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 09:21 PM
As Ricky Ricardo would say, "It was too spensive."

http://afrocityblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/thats_racist_animated1.gif

Sooner04
1/10/2010, 10:03 PM
Our non-conference schedule in 2000, the year we won the national championship:

UTEP
Arkansas State
Rice

All at home.

The big dogs don't have to prove anything. They can play scrubs if they want to. It's irrelevant. The Big 12 is hard enough as it is without having to go beat your brains in against another top 15 team at their house.

JLEW1818
1/10/2010, 10:07 PM
dude UTEP is good.. aint u seen Glory Road? ... or Sweet Home Alabama?? LOL LOL

Sooner04
1/10/2010, 10:16 PM
That was Texas Western.

BIG difference!

JLEW1818
1/10/2010, 10:17 PM
Bobby Joe Hill

stoopified
1/10/2010, 10:33 PM
How else can Mack end up with a better record than Bob?

JLEW1818
1/10/2010, 10:35 PM
UCLA should be somewhat average

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 11:32 PM

I thought they sang "Ghost Flowers." Oh, that was OTEP.

sooner59
1/10/2010, 11:35 PM
Utah State = UTEP (both had 4-8 records in crappy conferences this year)

Air Force >> Rice

Florida State >>> Arkansas State

Cincy >> UCLA

We should be more battle tested going into the RRSO.

lexsooner
1/11/2010, 08:07 AM
Our non-conference schedule in 2000, the year we won the national championship:

UTEP
Arkansas State
Rice

All at home.

The big dogs don't have to prove anything. They can play scrubs if they want to. It's irrelevant. The Big 12 is hard enough as it is without having to go beat your brains in against another top 15 team at their house.

But in the Stoops era, we have also played Miami FL, BYU, Oregon, TCU, Alabama, Notre Dame, Cincy, among others, and not all at home either. I don't think a top program has to play a suicidal non-conference schedule, but UT has played almost all push-overs each season for as long as I can remember (except for the home/home series with Ohio State).

Sooner in Tampa
1/11/2010, 08:21 AM
We can sit around and bitch about easy *** schedules all day long...the bottom line is this: If you play in the Big XII or SEC, your non-conference schedule really doesn't mean ****!!!
Florida and Texas have proven that...hell, the SEC has proven that year in and year out.
It is great that we go out schedule tough opponents, but I honestly believe that it will continue to cost us shots at the MNC under the current system in place.

delhalew
1/11/2010, 09:07 AM
We can sit around and bitch about easy *** schedules all day long...the bottom line is this: If you play in the Big XII or SEC, your non-conference schedule really doesn't mean ****!!!
Florida and Texas have proven that...hell, the SEC has proven that year in and year out.
It is great that we go out schedule tough opponents, but I honestly believe that it will continue to cost us shots at the MNC under the current system in place.

And yet, we have made four appearances in the last decade.
If there is an arguement against playing a tough non con, I would think it would be attrition. You get banged up in the Big 12 as is.

budbarrybob
1/11/2010, 10:26 AM
UCLA should be somewhat average

C'mon! Haven't you heard that they have Norm FREAKIN' Chow!!!!
Architect of the USC juggernaut? Sheesh

MeMyself&Me
1/11/2010, 11:05 AM

Having a tough schedule definitely contributed to OU getting into the title game in '03 over USC, in '04 over Auburn, and in '08 over Texas.

Assuming that the tough non-conference schedule was the root of all the injuries I guess you could argue that it might have cost OU the chance to play for the '09 championship but you have to make a pretty good leap to explain the Tech loss into a win but I'll give you that one.

Even still, that's 3-1 in favor of scheduling tough as more an advantage than a disadvantage. I know a weak schedule seems to make more sense with the way the system is set up but it hasn't played out like that.

Sooner in Tampa
1/11/2010, 11:29 AM
I say this about non conf schedules...the SEC has mastered the art of NOT playing anybody in non conf...nor do they travel. The SEC is racking up MNC's each yr.

JLEW1818
1/11/2010, 11:38 AM
yep

FYI

Alabama will play host to Penn St this year

MrJimBeam
1/11/2010, 12:18 PM
I didn't think Texas would ever play UCLA again after 66-6.

Sooner04
1/11/2010, 12:22 PM
It was 66-3.

"Behold! The Bevola Virus!"

MrJimBeam
1/11/2010, 12:26 PM
It was 66-3.

Especially 66-3.:mack:

badger
1/11/2010, 01:04 PM
There is high-risk, high-reward either way.

If you choose to have a tough schedule, you will be respected more on the national scale, but having too many loses takes you out of the title chase.

If you choose to have a light schedule, you will not have as much respect and even a single loss will doom your season, but ensures a good record.

Texas is among a handful of Big 12 and SEC programs that can live off their prestige alone and don't need a tough schedule to be considered for the title game or the BCS. However, should they be competing with a fellow prestige program (like, say, OU) for the title game or BCS opportunity, beware of having a light schedule.

High risk, high reward, either with a light or tough schedule.

TahoeSOONER
1/11/2010, 01:23 PM
Chances are parity in CFB will catch up to everyone with a loss. I personally would rather lose early to a good team on the road and risk the benefits of getting the stronger strength of schedule if you get the win.

Not to mention you don't look like a whispering eye in the process.

MeMyself&Me
1/11/2010, 01:58 PM
I say this about non conf schedules...the SEC has mastered the art of NOT playing anybody in non conf...nor do they travel. The SEC is racking up MNC's each yr.

I think the scheduling debate has to do with getting there, not actually winning it. I don't really see how the schedule matters once you're there.

As far as getting there, OU's gotten there 4 times in the last 10 years. Twice more than any other school and 3 of those 4 times, OU used the benefit of a strong schedule to get in the game. And in that time, you can only chalk up missing the title game due to a strong schedule once (and even that's a real stretch). I think you have to concede that the way OU is scheduling is working in OU's favor.

rawlingsHOH
1/11/2010, 02:03 PM
I think the scheduling debate has to do with getting there, not actually winning it. I don't really see how the schedule matters once you're there.

As far as getting there, OU's gotten there 4 times in the last 10 years. Twice more than any other school and 3 of those 4 times, OU used the benefit of a strong schedule to get in the game. And in that time, you can only chalk up missing the title game due to a strong schedule once (and even that's a real stretch). I think you have to concede that the way OU is scheduling is working in OU's favor.
Excellent point!

proudsoonergal
1/11/2010, 03:13 PM
Well, not to defend the horns - I'd hate to ever do that! - they've also had a home/away series with Arkansas in the early 2000's (UT lost at home, won [barely] in Fayetteville), played TCU last year or the year before, and, as mentioned earlier, had another home/away series with Arkansas last year/this year until Arkansas moved the Fayetteville game to a later date. And of course the Ohio State series, which was also mentioned earlier.

In the future, they've scheduled home/aways with UCLA, Minnesota, and Cal. Not currently top tier competition, but they are in BCS conferences. In fact, Minn & Cal are scheduled to be played in the same years (2015/2016). Link: http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/fb-future-schedules.html

In comparison, OU has future dates with Florida State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Tennessee. I'd definitely agree our list sounds more impressive now, but it really is hard to tell how good those programs will be far in advance.

TexasLidig8r
1/11/2010, 03:51 PM
Well, not to defend the horns - I'd hate to ever do that! - they've also had a home/away series with Arkansas in the early 2000's (UT lost at home, won [barely] in Fayetteville), played TCU last year or the year before, and, as mentioned earlier, had another home/away series with Arkansas last year/this year until Arkansas moved the Fayetteville game to a later date. And of course the Ohio State series, which was also mentioned earlier.

In the future, they've scheduled home/aways with UCLA, Minnesota, and Cal. Not currently top tier competition, but they are in BCS conferences. In fact, Minn & Cal are scheduled to be played in the same years (2015/2016). Link: http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/fb-future-schedules.html

In comparison, OU has future dates with Florida State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Tennessee. I'd definitely agree our list sounds more impressive now, but it really is hard to tell how good those programs will be far in advance.

pssst.. Gal... you violated soonerfans rule no. 1.54(b)(i).

Do NOT interrupt a good rant and lynching with facts!

prrriiide
1/11/2010, 03:55 PM

Don't forget LSU.

Since Slack has been at texass, they have played 12 OOC games against BCS conference opponents. Their record is 7-5. However, of those 12 games, only 6 have been played against BCS competition that had a winning record at the end of the season. Their record in those 6 games is 3-3. When it comes to scheduling, texass is a stilletto-heeled drag queen. From a distance and at a glance, it might look pretty good. But the closer you look at it the more revolting it becomes.

pssst.. Gal... you violated soonerfans rule no. 38(°)(°)DD.

Fixed.

bluedogok
1/11/2010, 10:45 PM
It was 66-3.

Down here they call it Rout 66...