PDA

View Full Version : The Myth Of "This Team Should Be Good"

Eielson
1/10/2010, 02:38 PM
Could somebody PLEASE tell me why this team is supposed to be good? First of all, I do acknowledge that this team is underachieving to some extent, but I just don't really see how this team is supposed to be anywhere near the top of the Big XII. Yes, we do have some individual talent, but when you look at the WHOLE team, it just isn't that exciting. To make basketball success really simple, you need to be able to either pound the ball inside, or knock down threes. To be completely non-biased and honest...we can't do either.

Our two best post players are freshman. These aren't Griffin or Beasley type freshman either. These are freshman that need time to develop. Gallon is the only one that looks even capable of being that go to guy, and he appears to have typical freshman maturity. He was the guy we were looking for in the early part of the Baylor game, however he got in foul trouble and we had nobody to play even remotely at his level. When he got back into the game we chose not to pound the ball into him. Perhaps with his size, he isn't in shape to get 20 shots a game, but that's what we need him to be. The easiest way to sum up Fitzgerald is that he's a four year player in his first year. I think brighter days lay ahead for him, but the reality is that he's just not that impressive against the big men we'll be playing for most of the rest of the year.

As for the shooting, we have a few guards that can knock down threes, but as a team we always have somebody to pull us down. It seems that we always have somebody going 0-5 or something along those lines. Crocker and TMG are doing their part, but nobody else is. Warren isn't even shooting 30% from three. Despite Cade's reputation as a shooter, he's never earned it in his three years here. We looked like we had a shooter in Pledger, but he hasn't had a good shooting night since November 28th. In fact, all but one of them would be considered bad. So when it's all added up, our three point shooting is basically the same as what we had last year, the only difference being that we replaced Blake and Taylor with a couple freshman.

the_ouskull
1/10/2010, 03:04 PM
The easiest way to sum up Fitzgerald is that he's a four year player in his first year.

Good line.

the_ouskull

King Crimson
1/10/2010, 03:54 PM
young team that never had to play D in AAU/get some shoes games.

and: as a result, not very good.

Rickety_Syd
1/10/2010, 06:07 PM
No real inside presence.
Extremely inconsistant shooting.
Players who either can't or are unwilling to work hard on defense.

Yeah, there's talent on this team, every team in the Big 12 has some talent, but this isn't championship talent. This may not even be winning season talent.

And really I haven't seen anything to suggest that this is a coaching problem. This simply may be just an average team at best.

bluedogok
1/10/2010, 06:40 PM
Those who had expectations of the level of last years team were delusional, very few programs can replace a player like Blake and maintain the same level of performance.

ndpruitt03
1/10/2010, 07:05 PM
Kentucky has a young team no one is making excuses for them winning every game. The problem is we have no team right now. Just a bunch of people that happen to occupy the same space.

the_ouskull
1/10/2010, 07:57 PM
Those who had expectations of the level of last years team were delusional, very few programs can replace a player like Blake and maintain the same level of performance.

I mean, I agree, partially, but I still feel compelled to say this in response:

"Sincerely, the games Blake missed last year where Willie went off?"

the_ouskull

JLEW1818
1/10/2010, 07:58 PM
is Blake not playing this year?

the_ouskull
1/10/2010, 08:04 PM
Not for OU or L.A., sadly.

the_ouskull

JLEW1818
1/10/2010, 08:05 PM
what u know bout Bosh to Houston??

rumors be rumors tho

Eielson
1/10/2010, 09:24 PM
is Blake not playing this year?

Are you serious?

Eielson
1/10/2010, 09:34 PM
Kentucky has a young team no one is making excuses for them winning every game. The problem is we have no team right now. Just a bunch of people that happen to occupy the same space.

Really? You're comparing our team to Kentucky? You do realize that Wall and Cousins were #1 and #2 on rivals, right? Then they also have #22 and #23, along with #40 just for grins. So, while they have five players in the top 40...we have one. What made you think this was even close to a good comparison? Let's also point out that Patrick Patterson (who is better than any player we have) is a junior.

Even so, that team would be better next year if they all stuck around. So yes, we have a young team, and they will get better.

JLEW1818
1/10/2010, 09:39 PM
Are you serious?

LOL :O ;)

Crimsontothecore
1/10/2010, 09:58 PM
I can appreciate the fact we have youth on this team and we lost a great player last year. However, OU has had youthful teams through the years without completely falling off the ledge like this team has. As for talent, this team probably has more talent right now than almost any of Sampson's teams yet those teams didn't lose to Baylor...especially by 30!
Make excuses if you have to, but this teams woes go far deeper than just youth and inexperience. This team lacks coaching. OU is a better basketball program than it is showing. OU played better than this in Capel's first year, after all the turmoil and defections post Sampson.
These are players Capel recruited. If they have bad attitudes or are lazy, that doesn't let Capel off the hook. He brought them here, he needs to coach them and figure out what needs to be done.
OU pays Jeff Capel way too much money to allow him to throw a sophomore player under the bus and blame a kid for not leading a team HE put together.

ndpruitt03
1/10/2010, 09:59 PM
Really? You're comparing our team to Kentucky? You do realize that Wall and Cousins were #1 and #2 on rivals, right? Then they also have #22 and #23, along with #40 just for grins. So, while they have five players in the top 40...we have one. What made you think this was even close to a good comparison? Let's also point out that Patrick Patterson (who is better than any player we have) is a junior.

Even so, that team would be better next year if they all stuck around. So yes, we have a young team, and they will get better.

Jeff has said it before he doesn't think we have a team at this point. There's nothing about this that is a team. Yes Kentucky has more talent, but they play pretty good ball together. We just seem to have guys that manage to be on the court together. They don't seem to even care about playing ball together.

Crimsontothecore
1/10/2010, 10:18 PM

So you are saying it is unrealistic to expect this team to not lose to Baylor by 31? Not to mention VCU, San Diego, Houston, UTEP...

the_ouskull
1/11/2010, 12:00 AM
what u know bout Bosh to Houston??

rumors be rumors tho

I know that his impending free agency doesn't scare off the Rockets the way that it does a lot of the teams that are considering trading for him, partially 'cause he's a Texan.

Also, I know that the Rockets can put a package together that doesn't include McGrady, which would make the Raptors much more happy, although we'd probably be parting with a lot of good, young talent.

That's all I've heard...

the_ouskull

LiveLaughLove
1/11/2010, 03:41 AM
There is no excuse for playing as poorly defensively as they do.

Youth and inexperience has nothing to do with effort or the lack thereof.

What you don't have in experience should be made up for in hustle and effort on the defensive side. Its the coaches job to get that effort out of all of his players. If the ones with all the accolades cant do it, put in the ones that will at least try.