PDA

View Full Version : The Leach Timeline As Reported to A-J from K. Hance

PLaw
1/10/2010, 09:52 AM
Hance: Here’s why Leach was fired
By A-J Staff on January 10th, 2010 1 Comment Printer-Friendly
BY MATTHEW MCGOWAN l AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
Ever since Mike Leach was suspended, and then fired by Texas Tech, there’s been intense interest in the story. Part of that interest is driven by unanswered questions and conflicting opinions of what happened.

This past week, The Avalanche-Journal attempted to get answers by sending a list of questions to Leach’s team and another list to the university.
We asked both sides to sit down with A-J staff to go over the questions.
Ted Liggett, Leach’s attorney, told The A-J on Thursday, “The Leach camp has made public statements through ESPN and in pleadings filed in court. This is not the time or place to answer (The A-J’s) questions.”
Chancellor Kent Hance agreed to meet with The A-J on Friday in his office.
Two stories in today’s edition come from that interview.
In one, we asked Hance to walk us through the university’s story from the time Hance first heard of the issue to the day Leach was fired.
The other is about what happened after Leach was fired.
We asked Leach’s team some of the same questions … the coach’s side of what happened from the day Adam James had a concussion to the day Leach was fired.
We also asked why he didn’t just kick James off the team; more about his frustrations with James and his father, ESPN broadcaster Craig James; how he’s handled other concussions; about his relationship with Hance, Athletic Director Gerald Myers and President Guy Bailey; what he hopes for from pending legal action; who he wants to see become head coach; what it was like watching his team in the Alamo Bowl; and what his future plans may be.
We hope Leach will agree to answer some of those questions in the future.
We put together a short synopsis of what the coach told other media over the past two weeks. That can be found on redraiders.com.
The situation fell apart quickly.

It began with a phone call to one of Texas Tech’s regents and ended with the university’s fan base in revolt after the firing of Tech head football coach Mike Leach.
The following is Tech Chancellor Kent Hance’s account of what happened in the days leading up to Leach’s termination.
Saturday, Dec. 19
Hance received a call from Board of Regents Chairman Larry Anders informing him of a complaint by the father of one of the team’s inside receivers.
Craig James, father of player Adam, told Anders that Leach forced his son to stand for several hours in a shed after suffering a concussion during a Dec. 16 practice.
Hance called Leach, who complained about the Jameses’ constant questioning of his decisions about Adam.
“I think he was very mad at the James family, that Craig James second-guessed him on occasions — I guess on the air or something — or that, according to Mike, that he second-guessed his playing time. He was pretty upset. He was pretty vocal. He was not mad at me. He was mad at them.”
Leach finally agreed to change his treatment of James.
Hance also spoke on the phone with Athletic Director Gerald Myers and with the James family.
Sunday, Dec. 20
The coach reportedly put Adam James on a stationary exercise bike in a dimly lit room during the day’s practice, thus fulfilling his promise to Hance.
“I think that’s not unusual,” he said. “I don’t think anybody’s contesting that.”
Hance also discussed the situation with Tech President Guy Bailey and Myers again.
An in-house attorney for Tech began collecting statements from Craig and Adam James.
Monday, Dec. 21
The attorney met with team physician Dr. Michael Phy and athletic trainer Steve *******. She also collected information from other training staff members and Leach.
Hance met with Leach again.
Tuesday, Dec. 22
Tech’s investigating attorney submitted a report.
“The investigator told us there’s not a lot of dispute,” Hance said. “Mike told them — when they mentioned some of the words that were said — Mike said, ‘That sounds like something I’d say, and if I didn’t, I wish I had.’ There wasn’t a big dispute on that.”
During a conference call, Hance, Bailey, Myers, Anders and Board Vice Chairman Jerry Turner all agreed some sort of disciplinary action should be taken.
“I told (Leach) that we discussed everything from doing nothing to termination, and that no one was for doing nothing, including myself,” Hance said. “I said, ‘We have a couple of people believe in termination. We’ve got to work this out and I’d like to work it out in a way that everybody wins and it’s quiet and we move forward.’ But when I told him there were some people that were for termination, he went off.”
Leach then used “profanely defiant” language in protest of the possible reprimand, Hance said.
“I’ve never talked to an employer the way he was talking to me, and I’ve never had another employee do that,” Hance said. “I kept telling him, ‘Mike, settle down. Take a deep breath. Don’t call anyone. Wait until tomorrow. Talk to your lawyer. Let’s see what we can work out. Work with us.’ He was having no part of it. He was mad, very mad.”
Hance said the conversation took place in a roughly 15-minute phone call.
Then, Hance said, after the barrage of insults, he told Leach he was to work through Bailey and Myers from then on.
“I thought I’d pass that pleasure around, maybe let them get cussed out,” Hance said.
After attending Tech’s basketball game against Stanford that evening, Hance received his first call from Ted Liggett, Leach’s attorney.
Wednesday, Dec. 23
Hance spoke briefly with Myers, Bailey and several regents about the issue.
A meeting was set up between Myers, Bailey and Leach for Dec. 24.
Thursday, Dec. 24
Leach canceled the meeting, citing a snowstorm that had him stuck at home.
“Accommodate him,” Hance remembers telling Myers and Bailey. “Meet with him some other time.”
Saturday, Dec. 26
Hance said he was hopeful Leach would reconsider in the time that had passed since their telephone conversation.
“I thought at the time, it might be good because he would’ve had Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and part of Saturday. … He would have had 3½ days to reflect on it and maybe he’d work with them,” Hance said.
Leach met with Myers and Bailey, who asked him to sign a letter apologizing for his treatment of James.
The letter also asked Leach to begin conforming to certain safety standards.
Hance said he wanted a firm guarantee mistreatment of a concussed player wouldn’t happen again.
“When you’re talking about a brain concussion, that’s a serious matter,” he said. “We needed a commitment from him that that would not happen again.”
They gave him about 48 hours to sign the letter.
Hance said he reminded Bailey and Myers to “emphasize to Mike: ‘Work with us. Try to solve this problem.’ ”
“He did not move in that direction,” Hance said. “But he had calmed down and did not give them a good cussin’ or anything.”
Myers and Bailey also met with Liggett.
Sunday, Dec. 27
Hance met more with Tech’s legal counsel.
Leach backers began calling Hance, who recalls saying to them, “Hey, he just needs to work with us and help us get through this.”
“I was hoping we could work something out that probably none of the parties would love, but it was something that would be better for everyone and we could move forward,” Hance said.
Hance said Leach had ample opportunity to sign the statement.
Monday, Dec. 28
Leach got on a flight to San Antonio for the Jan. 2 bowl game against Michigan State.
“We didn’t hear from him,” Hance said. “He was just refusing. There was some thought that suspension would bring him to his senses, that he might come back and say, ‘OK. What do I do?’ But it did not.”
The deadline came and went.
Bailey and Myers decided to suspend Leach.
Tuesday, Dec. 29
Liggett filed a temporary restraining order so Leach could coach the bowl game.
“Usually, trying to work a problem out with your boss, it doesn’t improve the situation to sue them,” Hance said. “There was a lot of consideration, hoping that suspension would bring him to his senses and he’d sit down and try to help solve the problem. But his response was a lawsuit. His response was to sue Texas Tech.”
Bailey and Myers made the ultimate decision to fire Leach, Hance said, after a long conversation with him and with input from several regents.
Wednesday, Dec. 30
Minutes before a hearing in a Lubbock courtroom on the temporary restraining order, a Tech attorney delivered notice to Liggett informing him of Leach’s termination.
Hance said the decision had the unanimous support of the board.
“I think we are in good shape,” Hance said. “We did the right thing. We stand behind our actions.”
To comment on this story:
[email protected] l 766-8724
[email protected] l 766-8706

PLaw
1/10/2010, 09:56 AM
GOB's at their finest.

Boomer

SoonerBacker
1/10/2010, 10:29 AM
"...As Reported to A-J from K. Hance"

We're definately getting only one side of this issue from this particular piece.

Stitch Face
1/10/2010, 10:41 AM
I don't know. Maybe it went down roughly as this guy says (minus the extent to which he says they glad-handed Mike, probably), and maybe Leach was pissed enough to just want out (or wanted out for any number of other reasons) so he stonewalled and they called his bluff. Sucks for them.

MeMyself&Me
1/10/2010, 10:54 AM
I still haven't heard anyone say exactly what Leach did wrong regarding Adam James.

Partial Qualifier
1/10/2010, 11:09 AM
A dark equipment room?? Oh, the horror!! :rolleyes:

AlbqSooner
1/10/2010, 11:33 AM
Hance said he wanted a firm guarantee mistreatment of a concussed player wouldn’t happen again.
“When you’re talking about a brain concussion, that’s a serious matter,” he said. “We needed a commitment from him that that would not happen again.”

If asked to sign that statement, I would have refused because of the "again" language. They were asking him to admit mistreating a concussed player.

OKC-SLC
1/10/2010, 11:50 AM
I still haven't heard anyone say exactly what Leach did wrong regarding Adam James.

Seems to me that Mike didn't massage Adam's or his dad's pu**ies enough for their liking.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 01:16 PM
Hance said he wanted a firm guarantee mistreatment of a concussed player wouldn’t happen again. “When you’re talking about a brain concussion, that’s a serious matter,” he said. “We needed a commitment from him that that would not happen again.”

If asked to sign that statement, I would have refused because of the "again" language. They were asking him to admit mistreating a concussed player.

Agreed. The apology should have been vague, but sincere. Something on the order of "I now regret my actions and for that I am sorry." And the shorter the better.

But this is also where Leach, with the advice of his lawyer, could have helped the process. If you are not too happy with the wording, offer changes. Come to an agreement.

Keep in mind that the apology may have been worded properly, but Hance's description of the apology may not be accurate. I think he is speaking off the cuff here.

Here is what the administration was working with:

Craig James, father of player Adam, told Anders that Leach forced his son to stand for several hours in a shed after suffering a concussion during a Dec. 16 practice.

Since this time we have downplayed the role that the concussion played in Leach's actions.

SoonerMom2
1/10/2010, 01:20 PM
Seems to me that Mike didn't massage Adam's or his dad's pu**ies enough for their liking.

That is for sure -- also didn't point out that the video taken with the cell phone was after the fact or that the PR team hired by Tech people against Leach is also the same PR firm handling James run for TX Senate which was covered on another thread here about James running for TX Senate.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 01:30 PM
PR team hired by Tech people

Sorry if I missed it, but I thought the PR team was hired by Craig James, not Tech.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 01:47 PM
That is for sure -- also didn't point out that the video taken with the cell phone was after the fact or that the PR team hired by Tech people against Leach is also the same PR firm handling James run for TX Senate which was covered on another thread here about James running for TX Senate.

Leach is on a paid vacation. It's like at least hitting 5 balls on the lottery with a 10X multiplier. All thanks to politics.

TX deserves Craig James. :texan:

Widescreen
1/10/2010, 01:50 PM
That implies that Leach did something to put James in danger. The school's own physician stated that nothing that was done to James could've done any damage to him. This is all about James getting his feelers hurt because he's Craig James son.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 01:59 PM
That implies that Leach did something to put James in danger.

Or that Leach didn't take James' concussion seriously, or even punished him out of vindictiveness for "skipping" practice when, in fact, James had a legitimate excuse.

"Concussion, eh (smirk)? So you're supposed to stay out of the light, eh? (smirk). Well, I have a place for you that will keep you out of the light all right. Trainers, throw this ******* into the 'shed' and make sure it is niiiiiiice and dark, because Little James Wamesy has a boo-boo in his head and can't be in the light. (everyone but James laughs)"

That's an exaggeration, but that may have been how the Tech administration thought Leach handled it. In such a case, an apology is warranted, even though the player was not placed in a dangerous situation.

You gotta' consider all angles.

okiedokie
1/10/2010, 02:34 PM
This can't be the first concussion they have had on the team, so what happened with the other players? If not the same treatment, then something is wrong here...
Was it just Leach's opinion that Adam James was a goody goody or did players confirm the same?

MeMyself&Me
1/10/2010, 02:42 PM
This can't be the first concussion they have had on the team, so what happened with the other players? If not the same treatment, then something is wrong here...
Was it just Leach's opinion that Adam James was a goody goody or did players confirm the same?

This keep getting pointed out over and over again. Other players apparently didn't show up to practice in street clothes with sunglasses and a ball cap on backwards... that's what appears to have ticked off Leach, the disregard to team policies. I think I remember seeing that the trainer said they have made concussed players stay in a darkened physician's office before as well. This just happened to be a LARGER darkened room accompanied by team trainers.

I'm struggling to figure out what is so bad about waiting out practice in a darkened room.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 02:42 PM

That could very well work against Leach in this case. Not sure.

MeMyself&Me
1/10/2010, 02:45 PM

This keep getting pointed out over and over again. Other players apparently didn't show up to practice in street clothes with sunglasses and a ball cap on backwards... that's what appears to have ticked off Leach, the disregard to team policies. I think I remember seeing that the trainer said they have made concussed players stay in a darkened physician's office before as well. This just happened to be a LARGER darkened room accompanied by team trainers.

I'm struggling to find out what is so bad about waiting out practice in a darkened room. Even if it hasn't been done before, there's a first time for everything... do you expect coaches to never try anything different? And what does that really matter. How did it harm him? Coaches do far worse than this and nobody says a thing.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 02:49 PM
This keep getting pointed out over and over again. Other players apparently didn't show up to practice in street clothes with sunglasses and a ball cap on backwards... that's what appears to have ticked off Leach, the disregard to team policies.

We realize that. But if Leach in doing so made light of James' concussion, then I could see the Administration's point. Go back to my hypothetical Leachism:

"Concussion, eh (smirk)? So you're supposed to stay out of the light, eh? (smirk). Well, I have a place for you that will keep you out of the light all right. Trainers, throw this ******* into the 'shed' and make sure it is niiiiiiice and dark, because Little James Wamesy has a boo-boo in his head and can't be in the light. (everyone but James laughs)"

He could very well be punishing James for a bad attitude, but making hay of his concussion when metering out the punishment. If so, that would be grounds for an apology.

And no, I am not saying that Leach made any such statement.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 02:51 PM
I'm struggling to find out what is so bad about waiting out practice in a darkened room.

Was it darkened, or was it pitch black? And if it was pitch black, was that on purpose? To me, the answers to those questions make a difference in how I would view Leach's treatment of James.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 02:55 PM
It was probably the color of the paint on the walls.

okiedokie
1/10/2010, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE]I'm struggling to find out what is so bad about waiting out practice in a darkened room. Even if it hasn't been done before, there's a first time for everything... do you expect coaches to never try anything different? [QUOTE]

I guess this lesson is.... if your not consistent with your treatment of players then you may get fired.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 03:14 PM
That's true of employees, volunteers, and students.

85sooners
1/10/2010, 03:58 PM
atleast we will just have to defend the running attack of tubberville now instead of the passing attack of leach

MeMyself&Me
1/10/2010, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE]I'm struggling to find out what is so bad about waiting out practice in a darkened room. Even if it hasn't been done before, there's a first time for everything... do you expect coaches to never try anything different? [QUOTE]

I guess this lesson is.... if your not consistent with your treatment of players then you may get fired.

Uhhh, yeah. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 04:11 PM
Even if it hasn't been done before, there's a first time for everything... do you expect coaches to never try anything different?

Has he discussed his new idea with assistants, trainers, medical personnel, administrators?

Is this a punishment that is off-the-cuff and applied with no contemplation of its effects and no real purpose in mind other than to lash back?

Gotta' keep your cool and think it through.

SoonerMom2
1/10/2010, 05:59 PM
Sorry if I missed it, but I thought the PR team was hired by Craig James, not Tech.

The article said that some Tech people were aware of the hiring of the PR team but they are James PR team so I assume that James paid for the PR group -- same group who is helping him run for an office that is not vacant. .

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 06:26 PM
The article said that some Tech people were aware of the hiring of the PR team...

Well, so are we. So what?

BTW, James is not running for an office that isn't vacant. He stated publicly that he would be interested in pursuing the seat if it became vacant.

I know you don't like Craig James and the Tech administration, but c'mon.

CU Sooner
1/10/2010, 06:38 PM
Sunday, Dec. 20
The coach reportedly put Adam James on a stationary exercise bike in a dimly lit room during the day’s practice, thus fulfilling his promise to Hance.
“I think that’s not unusual,” he said. “I don’t think anybody’s contesting that.”
Hance also discussed the situation with Tech President Guy Bailey and Myers again.
An in-house attorney for Tech began collecting statements from Craig and Adam James.

According to this he was put in a dim room riding the exercise bike, where did the shed and standing for 3 hrs come from.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 06:40 PM
I bet they strapped him to the bike.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 06:47 PM
According to this he was put in a dim room riding the exercise bike, where did the shed and standing for 3 hrs come from.

I think those are two separate events.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 06:49 PM
Well of course they are unless they put him on the bike and carried him into the room. Then maybe it's only one ...you know...if they did it quick enough.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 07:06 PM
Okay, since this appears to be more difficult to understand than I thought.

In other words, the exercycle routine occurred well after the days in which James was punished.

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2010, 07:34 PM
I'm struggling to figure out what is so bad about waiting out practice in a darkened room.

Maybe Adam James is scared of the dark?

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 07:39 PM
Okay, since this appears to be more difficult to understand than I thought.

Most of us already had that one figured out for ya....lol

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 08:10 PM
Well, except you.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 09:35 PM
Well, except you.

They put you in a closet when you were a kid huh?

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 11:26 PM
Uh-oh, I smell a "coming out of the closet" joke coming.

OUFan22
1/10/2010, 11:53 PM
One thing that is being overlooked is that when a player is injured the medical staff takes over and overrides any decision by the coach on the treatment of said player. At least this is what supposed to happen. I think the medical staff are gettijng off easy on this as it should have been their call as to the treatment. I have family members in coaching positions (college athlete) and athletic training positions and they both confirmed that this is how these situations are supposed to be handled.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2010, 12:35 AM
At least this is what supposed to happen. I think the medical staff are gettijng off easy on this as it should have been their call as to the treatment.

To whom do the trainers report? The coach? Athletic director?

SanJoaquinSooner
1/11/2010, 01:13 AM
Leach can do better than God-forsaken west texas.

Satan lives in Hell and rents out west texas.

Breadburner
1/11/2010, 02:32 AM
Leach can do better than God-forsaken west texas.

Satan lives in Hell and rents out west texas.

No Country for Old Men......

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2010, 02:51 AM
To whom do the trainers report? The coach? Athletic director?

The team doctor.

The only thing trainers report to the coach about is the status of a player.

Hence the reason there is only one training staff for all athletics.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2010, 03:31 AM
And the team doctor reports to the athletic director, right? I'm not making anything of this, just curious.