picasso
1/10/2010, 09:29 AM
For a plethora of reasons.

Aside from being a racist.

Okla-homey
1/10/2010, 09:58 AM
For a plethora of reasons.

Aside from being a racist.

Haven't you learned by now, 'Pubs step down when they get busted for bad stuff, but Donks just make a lot of noise about "vast right wing conspiracies" and stay.

That said, it would appear that the Nevadans who sent Mr. Reid to the Senate will buy his one-way ticket back to Nevada this fall.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/reid-hits-new-low-in-poll-81060702.html

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/10/2010, 12:10 PM
Reid's not gonna quit. He might even have enough phantom votes purchased to win.

VeeJay
1/10/2010, 04:39 PM
The thing about this is - is what he said (beside using the N word - "negro") all that off base?

I distinctly recall Obama speaking to a black group (Selma, perhaps) and made the statement "I have been here before." But, rather, he pronounced before as "b-fo." Hey, whatever. When in Rome, know what I'm saying?

I'd call this pandering for votes. Maybe Harry was just calling it as he saw it.

picasso
1/10/2010, 05:54 PM
The thing about this is - is what he said (beside using the N word - "negro") all that off base?

I distinctly recall Obama speaking to a black group (Selma, perhaps) and made the statement "I have been here before." But, rather, he pronounced before as "b-fo." Hey, whatever. When in Rome, know what I'm saying?

I'd call this pandering for votes. Maybe Harry was just calling it as he saw it.

Well no duh man. Isn't that what folks get into trouble these days for? Calling it as they see it?
My point is that if a leading Repub had said this last fall then all hell would be breaking loose.

Scott D
1/10/2010, 06:05 PM
I can't wait until he loses.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 06:24 PM
Isn't he a reporter?

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 06:27 PM
N/M...wong hairy...

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/files/2009/09/harry-smith.jpg

SoonerNate
1/10/2010, 10:17 PM
I'm so sick of the double standards.

Scott D
1/10/2010, 10:27 PM
What bothers me, is that Republicans are already taking the wrong tactic with this. Instead of complaining about there being a double standard, they should be urging prominent black Republicans to speak out about Reid.

A situation like this isn't going to help a man with approval ratings in his state that rivaled W's at their worst.

SCOUT
1/10/2010, 11:19 PM
What bothers me, is that Republicans are already taking the wrong tactic with this. Instead of complaining about there being a double standard, they should be urging prominent black Republicans to speak out about Reid.

A situation like this isn't going to help a man with approval ratings in his state that rivaled W's at their worst.

If Walter Williams came out tomorrow pointing out his complete disdain for anything associated with Harry Reid, it would be covered in the Walter Williams column.

ouwasp
1/11/2010, 12:25 AM
Well no duh man. Isn't that what folks get into trouble these days for? Calling it as they see it?
My point is that if a leading Repub had said this last fall then all hell would be breaking loose.

exactly.....the media would be going wall-to-wall, fanning the flames, until a resignation happened. If they can, they'll allow this to fizzle out.

Double standard indeed.

Crucifax Autumn
1/11/2010, 12:54 AM
I'm just guessing here from the viewpoint of someone who lives here, but I think he'll win. Once the actual election happens all anyone here is gonna care about is how much money he brings to the state. It won't matter what else is going on.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/11/2010, 02:34 AM

The Prominent Black Republican is busy ;)

GrapevineSooner
1/11/2010, 08:35 AM
If Walter Williams came out tomorrow pointing out his complete disdain for anything associated with Harry Reid, it would be covered in the Walter Williams column.

Sadly, I think Scout is right.

It was reported over the weekend, Reid apologized to Obama and Obama accepted it. As far as the MSM is concerned this story is over.

It'll only serve as conservative fodder in the blogs and social networks.

GrapevineSooner
1/11/2010, 10:43 AM
As far the issue of whether he needs to go, I'll just let the Democrats decide that issue for themselves.

And then the court of public opinion can judge that decision later.

Meanwhile, there are other issues more important for the country to deal with than whether Harry Reid is a racist or not.

Veritas
1/11/2010, 11:18 AM
Meanwhile, there are other issues more important for the country to deal with than whether Harry Reid is a racist or not.
This.

It is an obvious double standard, though; anybody remember Trent Lott? If Reid were a Republican the press would be ****ting themselves with joy.

RedstickSooner
1/11/2010, 11:26 AM
I thought republicans didn't care for political correctness?

SicEmBaylor
1/11/2010, 11:55 AM
Let me ask everyone this, why does the term "negro" automatically mean you're a racist? Racism is hatred of an individual due to their race. If you use that word why is it automatically assumed you hate them?

Now, the term is rude. It's condescending. It's inappropriate. It's a lot of things, but I fail to see how it makes you a racist.

SicEmBaylor
1/11/2010, 11:57 AM

Walter Williams himself has been accused of being a racist more than once.

I adore Walter Williams. He's pro-states rights and openly believes in the right of secession.

Veritas
1/11/2010, 12:02 PM
I adore Walter Williams. He's pro-states rights and openly believes in the right of secession.
Please don't tell me you're one of the "Texas should (commit economic suicide and) secede" people. (Addition mine).

Okla-homey
1/11/2010, 12:12 PM
Let me ask everyone this, why does the term "negro" automatically mean you're a racist? Racism is hatred of an individual due to their race. If you use that word why is it automatically assumed you hate them?

Now, the term is rude. It's condescending. It's inappropriate. It's a lot of things, but I fail to see how it makes you a racist.

Technically, I think "racism" means ascribing certain mental and/or abilities, tendencies and behaviors based entirely on race. Aside from that...

Serious question: Does the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) still exist?

How about the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)?

The problem, IMHO, African-American-black-negro-colored people keep changing the rules about what the rest of us are supposed to call them. Maybe one day, Dr. King's dream that a man would be judged by the "content of his character not the color of his skin" will be realized. Til then, I reckon people need to stay apprised of the term de-jour for other folks' enthicities.

Me? Just a redneck, honky, cracka, whiteboy. So WTF do I know?

1/11/2010, 12:18 PM
Sadly, I think Scout is right.

It was reported over the weekend, Reid apologized to Obama and Obama accepted it. As far as the MSM is concerned this story is over.

It'll only serve as conservative fodder in the blogs and social networks.No need. Reid's Socialized Medicine is a helluva lot more damaging to the country than Reid's racism.

1/11/2010, 12:20 PM
Walter Williams himself has been accused of being a racist more than once.

What did he do or say that brought the accusations?

SicEmBaylor
1/11/2010, 01:23 PM
Please don't tell me you're one of the "Texas should (commit economic suicide and) secede" people. (Addition mine).

No, I don't think they should but I believe it's their right.

Veritas
1/11/2010, 01:29 PM
No, I don't think they should but I believe it's their right.
I agree, actually, and as a semi-resident if **** keeps going like it has it's going to sound like a better and better idea, especially as the federal income tax/distribution ratio for the state continues to approach a deficit.

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2010, 01:30 PM
Reid should step down regardless.

but it won't matter, he will lose his seat in Nevada, and dims have probably already lost Congress.

And if a Republican actually pulls it out and wins Ted Kennedy's old seat in MA, then he can count the Senate bybye as well.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2010, 01:46 PM
Reid should step down. The silence from the "voice of the minority" crowd is deafening. Unlike Trent Lott, you hear nary a peep. So it is okay to speak like this if you are a democrat? I'm changing my party affiliation immediately!

I like how they use their outrage as a tactical weapon. They are not consistent in its use, just consistent on who it is used against.

1/11/2010, 01:51 PM
Reid should step down. The silence from the "voice of the minority" crowd is deafening. Unlike Trent Lott, you hear nary a peep. So it is okay to speak like this if you are a democrat? I'm changing my party affiliation immediately!

I like how they use their outrage as a tactical weapon. They are not consistent in its use, just consistent on who it is used against.Why are/were you a democrat?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2010, 01:53 PM
Why are/were you a democrat?

No changing to democrat so I can say stuff and not be held accountable...

I was a democrat years ago so I could actually vote on something in primaries...

47straight
1/11/2010, 06:58 PM

I think about .001 seconds later, they had RNC chair Steele out in front doing just that.

A Sooner in Texas
1/11/2010, 09:06 PM
I don't think the perceived problem with Reid's comment was his use of the word "Negro" - which is still reflected in the acronymed name of the United Negro College Fund, UNCF - I think it was that he implied (or out and out said) that Obama slips in and out of the dialect depending upon his audience.
The differences between what Reid said and what Trent Lott said - in his support for Strom Thurmond, a strict segregationist - are miles apart. The use of the word "Negro" isn't racist, just old fashioned. The only black I've seen calling for Reid to step down is the RNC chair; not too surprising.

Crucifax Autumn
1/11/2010, 11:18 PM
If that's the problem then CNN is racist. They did a couple of stories about his changing dialect and had previously did one on Hillary Clinton talking different in the South than in the North.

olevetonahill
1/11/2010, 11:21 PM
Agree he should Step down
But NOT for that reason

Hell ALL of us have said More racist things than that , Be you White, Black, Brown or polkadotted .

Scott D
1/11/2010, 11:26 PM
I think about .001 seconds later, they had RNC chair Steele out in front doing just that.

Gotta do better than one guy perceived as a puppet. (not my view, but that view is out there)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2010, 09:18 AM
I think it was that he implied (or out and out said) that Obama slips in and out of the dialect depending upon his audience.

So does Hillary Clinton...

King Barry's Back
1/12/2010, 09:34 AM
I'm just guessing here from the viewpoint of someone who lives here, but I think he'll win. Once the actual election happens all anyone here is gonna care about is how much money he brings to the state. It won't matter what else is going on.

Last time (2004), he only won by 12 votes. He wasn't majority leader, though, so that gives him more pull over the great slot machine in the sky (DC) than he had back then -- but it also forces him to take very visible and very liberal policy positions that won't play well at home.

I would think that, in the end, he would lose more votes from being majority ldr than he would gain, and if I am right and if the difference is much more than 12 votes -- then Mr Reid is in trouble.

Even if he returns, he won't be majority leader. (OK, that's a joke, GOP WON'T win back the Senate majority this year. Unfortunately.)

1/12/2010, 11:59 AM
Last time (2004), he only won by 12 votes. He wasn't majority leader, though, so that gives him more pull over the great slot machine in the sky (DC) than he had back then -- but it also forces him to take very visible and very liberal policy positions that won't play well at home.

I would think that, in the end, he would lose more votes from being majority ldr than he would gain, and if I am right and if the difference is much more than 12 votes -- then Mr Reid is in trouble.

Even if he returns, he won't be majority leader. (OK, that's a joke, GOP WON'T win back the Senate majority this year. Unfortunately.)You aren't even taking ACORN and its affiliates into account.

Scott D
1/12/2010, 05:25 PM
but ACORN and it's affiliates could only get him 12 votes last time.