PDA

View Full Version : Ahem...

the_ouskull
1/9/2010, 10:01 PM
...so, reading some of these threads I've been reading thus far, my first question is: Why is it okay for you guys to say it after a loss like tonight's, but when I say it before said loss, and for a large part of the year, I'M the *sshole?

I'll take your answer off the air.

the_ouskull

Eielson
1/9/2010, 11:07 PM
I hope you don't really think that you were the only person to see our team had problems before this game.

the_ouskull
1/9/2010, 11:25 PM
No, although it's hard to tell sometimes, the way everybody thinks I'm all Chicken Little, when I'm really the last cry of the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

G'night, Tinkerbelle...

the_ouskull

Eielson
1/9/2010, 11:36 PM
We went 9-5 in a non-conference schedule that wasn't even that difficult. This ain't rocket science...we aren't that good. I said nearly three weeks ago that this team may not even be capable of making the NIT.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138407

goingoneight
1/9/2010, 11:53 PM
We should have known we'd be in trouble with only a shadow of what we had a year ago.

Let's see, take away the best player in CBB, steady senior brother... we'll be fine!

bluedogok
1/10/2010, 12:00 AM
I didn't expect much out of the team after the loss of the Griffin brothers but I didn't expect it to fall apart like this. I know good players are needed but too many of these "superstar recruits" seem to be more trouble than they are worth. It seems that most have had everything given to them and playing ball came so easy they have never had to work at anything or are not forced to do anything they don't want to do. If some of them are the problem, boot'em off the team.

It makes you really appreciate guys like Blake and AD, guys who have a strong work ethic and all world talent.

Eielson
1/10/2010, 12:47 AM
I didn't expect much out of the team after the loss of the Griffin brothers but I didn't expect it to fall apart like this. I know good players are needed but too many of these "superstar recruits" seem to be more trouble than they are worth. It seems that most have had everything given to them and playing ball came so easy they have never had to work at anything or are not forced to do anything they don't want to do. If some of them are the problem, boot'em off the team.

It makes you really appreciate guys like Blake and AD, guys who have a strong work ethic and all world talent.

Just so you know, Blake and AD were about as "superstar recruit" as you can get.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 01:07 AM
Just so you know, Blake and AD were about as "superstar recruit" as you can get.

They damn sure didn't act like it though. Humblest two Superstar Recruits I've ever seen

Sooner4FCD
1/10/2010, 01:18 AM
Is it better to be the guy who is right and quietly knows to himself or the guy who always lets everyone know he's right until he has no audience anymore?

I guess I'll let you decide.

Collier11
1/10/2010, 03:03 AM
...so, reading some of these threads I've been reading thus far, my first question is: Why is it okay for you guys to say it after a loss like tonight's, but when I say it before said loss, and for a large part of the year, I'M the *sshole?

the_ouskull

attention whore :D

stoopified
1/10/2010, 06:16 AM
I know three things about this team:

1)We have coaching-157 wins in less than 8 seasons isn't an accident.
2) We have talent-moreso than in any recent memory.Everybody was recruiting the guys we landed/

3) We lack heart.Defense,rebounding,and getting loose balls are EFFORT skills,and we suck at all of them.

What I don't know is why we can't seem to grasp the team concept.The only theory I can come up with is that there is a division somewhere in this team.Where?I don't know.It could be between the Mcd A-A's and the rest of the team,could be between WW and the other STAR players .I don't know.

I am disheartened,dismayed,discouraged,disgusted The only thing I know to do is trust Capel to right the ship,although getting it done this year is a long shot.

I'm guessing that there will be player(s) quit or asked to leave by seasons end. I remain hopeful but my optimism is fading and could be completely gone if we suffer a Neon Orange beatdown Monday night at the LNC.

King Crimson
1/10/2010, 06:42 AM
we fell apart at about the 4 minute mark of the first half tonight. it was hard to watch. pathetic. and you have to push me to say something that negative about OU hoops since i've been fighting the uphill battle of OU hoops fandom since the late 70's.

jesu, the "announcers" were right (!), after the hard foul on Crocker...we tanked.

this team is really in trouble. i like Jeff, but i'm not sure sometimes.

the_ouskull
1/10/2010, 10:52 AM
Is it better to be the guy who is right and quietly knows to himself or the guy who always lets everyone know he's right until he has no audience anymore?

I guess I'll let you decide.

Well, I guess that depends on the topic. In this particular case, and most cases involving basketball and message boards, I'm going to go ahead and announce that sh*t to the rooftops. Cope or shuffle on.

"Let." Heh.

the_ouskull

bluedogok
1/10/2010, 12:19 PM

They damn sure didn't act like it though. Humblest two Superstar Recruits I've ever seen
That is what I was referring to, they didn't seem to have the (public) ego display that it seems many of these so called "high school superstars" seem to have. Too many of them pout and become malcontents if they don't get everything their way...mainly because they have almost always been catered to growing up and expect the world to kiss their rears and tell them how great they are and then become a problem when they hit a rough patch.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/11/2010, 02:21 PM

the_ouskull

The fact that you're an ******* has nothing to do with what you posted about this team;)

Actually, I think it was mostly one guy that was calling you an *******.

the_ouskull
1/11/2010, 02:56 PM
If I weren't already tired of the gimmick, I'd probably add the first line of your post to my sig... minus the winky face.

That sums up what I shoot on here for pretty well, though. I don't say things that take people's feelers into account. I say what I think is right, and I don't say things that I can't back up in some way. The fact that I'm an *sshole about it is my own personal touch. :D Then again, it's not like the proof isn't out there. Without accountability, we have anarchy, right? I just relish in being the guy that tries to hold people with sh*t-for-takes accountable.

But, regardless, as far as this team goes, so far, the things I've been saying have been fairly prophetic... of course, now comes the masses with the "you didn't think you were the only one that thought this team would struggle," etc.. questions; now that everybody is discussing this team's struggles.

Many of my arguments, for and against, teams are statistical in nature. That's because I believe that, if you're looking at the right stats, you're going to get the right idea about a team. But, things like chemistry aren't really wrought out in stats... usually... and I still give those things consideration too.

Then again, if I could find a website that did advanced stat metrics for OU games, I'd like to see the percentage of Willie's baskets that are assisted, and I'd like to see who is getting him the ball. Then I'd like to see those same stats for Gallon, etc...

Then again, maybe you CAN measure things like chemistry statistically... (Assist rate, turnover rate, usage rate... all can point out selfish play... then, when coupled with the "assists to and from" stats I was talking about earlier, we might have a more enlightened picture in regards to the statistics behind team chemistry, no?)

Regardless, while I wasn't the only person that saw we had "problems" before now, I was one of the only ones saying so publicly, discussing said problems in detail, and taking more than a modicum of sh*t for it. Now it's "in," though, so bring on the discussion!

Fire Calvin Simpson!

the_ouskull

C&CDean
1/11/2010, 04:06 PM
You know what's weird? In football, we lose a close game to a great team and we've got rabid-assed numbskulls foaming at the mouth wanting to put the rabid kiss of death on Wilson/Venerables/Schmitty/whoever.

In basketball, we lose some games to a bunch of wankers and all of a sudden Capel is King and it's all on the players?

Interesting...

And FWIW, I think 99.9% of the problems on our men's BB team ARE on the players. Just like I think 99.9% of the problems with football ARE on the players. We've got proven coaches. Players? Not so much - unless you consider high school and AAU "proven." Bunch of attention-whore prima donnas who are going to either a) humble themselves and cop a clue, or b) go 0-fer in conference. Seriously, I can see us not winning another game this year as bad as we've looked.

If Capel somehow gets this group of n'er do wells and misfits to play together and actually make the NCAAs he should get Coach of the Year - nay - Coach of the ****ing Decade.

And to think I was counting on BB to be salve for my wounds from football this year. Nothing like rubbing rancid **** in your open wounds...

StoopTroup
1/11/2010, 04:22 PM
Basketball has 5 guys at any given time on the floor playing.

It's a much easier sport to Coach as you have less guys and attitudes to contend with than Football. Just My Opinion....don't get crazy on me B-Ball Purists. :D

The amount of Schools that can afford to compete in Basketball is much greater than Football and the number of guys and their abilities who can play at the Div IA level percentage wise are greater as well.

It's got to be really tough when you have a few pimples on your team that don't meet the expectations to which you saw they could achieve when you recruited them. Sometimes guys have a bad year and the next they are the next Wayman Tisdale. Other times you might have been better to use other resources and just let those players move on.

Being a Div IA B-Ball Coach has got to be a pretty stressful proposition. I feel for Jeff as we like winning and I know many OU Fans have panned for years hoping to see a National Championship Banner flying in LNC.

It would seem we are still quite away from anything like that. Does that mean we should look for another Coach? Not yet IMO. Should OU send a message that we aren't to happy? Yep.

soonervegas
1/11/2010, 05:09 PM
You know what's weird? In football, we lose a close game to a great team and we've got rabid-assed numbskulls foaming at the mouth wanting to put the rabid kiss of death on Wilson/Venerables/Schmitty/whoever.

In basketball, we lose some games to a bunch of wankers and all of a sudden Capel is King and it's all on the players?

Interesting...

Nervous laughter.....

NormanPride
1/11/2010, 05:44 PM
I've said since before the season that I'd be ecstatic if we made the tourney. Now I'd be ecstatic if we made the Big 12 tourney. :P

Eielson
1/11/2010, 05:46 PM
I've said since before the season that I'd be ecstatic if we made the tourney. Now I'd be ecstatic if we made the Big 12 tourney. :P

Good thing we have a CBI Tournament.

the_ouskull
1/11/2010, 05:59 PM
I just want to be able to watch another OU basketball game without immediately feeling the need afterwards to take a shower...

...and call 911.

the_ouskull

theresonly1OU
1/11/2010, 06:16 PM
If I weren't already tired of the gimmick, I'd probably add the first line of your post to my sig... minus the winky face.

That sums up what I shoot on here for pretty well, though. I don't say things that take people's feelers into account. I say what I think is right, and I don't say things that I can't back up in some way. The fact that I'm an *sshole about it is my own personal touch. :D Then again, it's not like the proof isn't out there. Without accountability, we have anarchy, right? I just relish in being the guy that tries to hold people with sh*t-for-takes accountable.

But, regardless, as far as this team goes, so far, the things I've been saying have been fairly prophetic... of course, now comes the masses with the "you didn't think you were the only one that thought this team would struggle," etc.. questions; now that everybody is discussing this team's struggles.

Many of my arguments, for and against, teams are statistical in nature. That's because I believe that, if you're looking at the right stats, you're going to get the right idea about a team. But, things like chemistry aren't really wrought out in stats... usually... and I still give those things consideration too.

Then again, if I could find a website that did advanced stat metrics for OU games, I'd like to see the percentage of Willie's baskets that are assisted, and I'd like to see who is getting him the ball. Then I'd like to see those same stats for Gallon, etc...

Then again, maybe you CAN measure things like chemistry statistically... (Assist rate, turnover rate, usage rate... all can point out selfish play... then, when coupled with the "assists to and from" stats I was talking about earlier, we might have a more enlightened picture in regards to the statistics behind team chemistry, no?)

Regardless, while I wasn't the only person that saw we had "problems" before now, I was one of the only ones saying so publicly, discussing said problems in detail, and taking more than a modicum of sh*t for it. Now it's "in," though, so bring on the discussion!

Fire Calvin Simpson!

the_ouskull

I just want to be able to watch another OU basketball game without immediately feeling the need afterwards to take a shower...

...and call 911.

the_ouskull

Dear the_ouskull,

Would it be possible for you to submit one fu#$ing post without using the word I?

Signed,

Soonerfans.com

StoopTroup
1/11/2010, 07:36 PM
It's all about the I?

http://www.3dluvr.com/rogueldr/tutorials/eye/eye01.jpg

the_ouskull
1/11/2010, 07:57 PM
Dear the_ouskull,

Would it be possible for you to submit one fu#$ing post without using the word I?

Signed,
Soonerfans.com

Sure would. YOU, sir, are an idiot. It's cool to use the letter "i" still, right?

the_ouskull

stoopified
1/11/2010, 11:58 PM

...and call 911.

the_ouskullHope you enjoyed the game tonite wthout that dirty feeling.It ain't a cure for what ails this team BUT it is a step in the right direction.IF( and I admit we are talking a big IF) we can win Saturday ,then I would say we are starting to figure things out.

To be honest I was just hoping to stay close and have a chance to win.