PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Seahawks hire USC's Carroll

sendbaht
1/9/2010, 08:02 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

Kind of the same stuff we knew yesterday, but I love the title.:))

Pete Carroll has reached agreement with the Seahawks on a deal to be their next head coach, multiple NFL sources confirmed early Saturday morning.

Carroll

Carroll was fully expected to be introduced by the Seahawks as early as Monday, assuming they comply with the Rooney Rule this weekend.

The hangup could be locating a candidate to interview that would put the Seahawks in compliance with the rule, which requires teams to interview a minority candidate for head-coaching hires.

On Friday, Jim Mora became the first Seahawks coach to be let go after one season.

Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier could agree to interview, but he is unwilling to do so if Carroll has been promised full control of the Seahawks -- and multiple sources say he has.

Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke told Frazier that Carroll definitely does not have Seattle's job.

Miller on USC
Why would Carroll leave USC for Seattle, a franchise that has been sagging since a Super Bowl appearance in 2006? ESPN.com Pac-10 blogger Ted Miller looks at potential reasons. Blog

Believing Leiweke, Frazier will interview for the Seahawks head coach job Saturday morning.

Seattle also contacted the agent for Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, but as of Saturday morning nothing had been set up.

But the bottom line is, Carroll's agreement with Seattle is "100 percent done," one NFL source close to the situation said.

In a text message to ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Friday, Carroll said, "You know I haven't responded to a NFL question in two years."

But a league source told Mortensen that Carroll was trying to persuade USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates to join him in Seattle -- as opposed to Bates pursuing the same position with the Chicago Bears.

Mora attended a meeting Friday morning with management, at which time he was told by Leiweke, the Seahawks' CEO, that he did not win enough games to save his job.

Sando on Mora
ESPN.com NFC West blogger Mike Sando has thoughts, analysis and more on the firing of Seattle coach Jim Mora. Story

The Seahawks ended the season on a four-game losing streak to finish 5-11.

Mora was shocked by his dismissal, believing that when he was called to Leiweke's office that he would be in a discussion about the team's vacant general manager's job, Seahawks sources told Mortensen.

"This team, more importantly this community, means so much to me that it hurts not being able to see this through," Mora said in a team-issued statement. "I am disappointed I did not get the chance to complete my contract. This is a tough business that sometimes demands immediate gratification."

Flagstaffsooner
1/9/2010, 08:24 AM
Cheatie Pettie is is jumping ship before the NCAA boards the sinking turd scow known as suc.

olevetonahill
1/9/2010, 08:26 AM
If they Hire him . It just gives me another team to HATE :D

BoomerSooner, esq.
1/9/2010, 09:12 AM
Cheatie Pettie is is jumping ship before the NCAA boards the sinking turd scow known as suc.

Exactly. He knows that they are about to get BLASTED by the NCAA and is getting away while his name is still (somewhat) good.

Pete Carroll with the Seahawks = Steve Spurrier with the Redskins

starrca23
1/9/2010, 09:32 AM
He's already a pro coach...been payin players for years!!!!

TXBOOMER
1/9/2010, 09:32 AM
If he leaves it is only because the hammer is about to fall. That suc job would be hard to beat (big money, easy recruiting, climate, university park area etc.).

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2010, 09:44 AM
I understand this may help us land some of their verbals.

OUinFLA
1/9/2010, 09:48 AM
apparently there is an earning opportunity out there for a minority coach.

he doesnt have to be very good, he just has to be of an ethnic minority.

his job would entail flying to and interviewing with different NFL teams who want to hire a specific coach, but must abide by the minority interview rule.

Considering what NFL teams pay their desired coach, I would think that 150 grand would be a fair amount to pay a prospective minority coach you have no intention of hiring, just so you could validate you abided by the rules.

of course, said minority prospect would have to agree to be available to testify before the NFL commissioner as to the validity that the interview actually took place. I would think there should be an added expense clause for the minority prospect to cover any of his expenses in case he did have to testify that he had indeed interviewed for the position. say..... another 50 thousand.

I would guess that such an interprising minority not-so-good coach could rake in a mil or two before the NFL changed the rules.

Being as I am about 1/8 Choctaw Indian, I wonder if I'm considered a minority? Certainly I qualify as a coach no one would really consider hiring.

I certainly trust those of you, my Sooner bretheren, to not let this idea escape to the general public and spoil my new plans for building my retirement fund.

I think I'll email the Seahawks and let them know Im available for an interview as soon as today.

badger
1/9/2010, 09:49 AM
Coaches would be stupid to take the SC job if Pete would jump ship after all he's done there.

Regardless, some stupid commentator is going to get on ESPN and put Bob Stoops' name out there as a potential replacement.

fossil
1/9/2010, 10:03 AM

his job would entail flying to and interviewing with different NFL teams who want to hire a specific coach, but must abide by the minority interview rule.

Considering what NFL teams pay their desired coach, I would think that 150 grand would be a fair amount to pay a prospective minority coach you have no intention of hiring, just so you could validate you abided by the rules.

of course, said minority prospect would have to agree to be available to testify before the NFL commissioner as to the validity that the interview actually took place. I would think there should be an added expense clause for the minority prospect to cover any of his expenses in case he did have to testify that he had indeed interviewed for the position. say..... another 50 thousand.

I would guess that such an interprising minority not-so-good coach could rake in a mil or two before the NFL changed the rules.

Being as I am about 1/8 Choctaw Indian, I wonder if I'm considered a minority? Certainly I qualify as a coach no one would really consider hiring.

I certainly trust those of you, my Sooner bretheren, to not let this idea escape to the general public and spoil my new plans for building my retirement fund.

I think I'll email the Seahawks and let them know Im available for an interview as soon as today.

:D Kinda like the designated hitter in baseball, 'cept this guy would be the designated interviewee, right?

SoonerForever
1/9/2010, 10:21 AM
Rooney Rule=Affirmative Action=Entitlement=Part of the reason for downfall of America.
All of the above not the same as Equal Employment Opportunity.

IslandSooner
1/9/2010, 11:24 AM
Urban Meyer is F...ing Crazy, Mack Brown is a F...ing idiot, Pete Carroll is F...ing gone, Bob Stoops is standing strong....glad we have him.....
BOOMER SOONER

bluedogok
1/9/2010, 11:30 AM
Chris Mortensen reported on ESPN this morning (about 15 minutes ago) that Frazier is interviewing to satisfy the Rooney Rule and contrary to other reports Carroll would not have "complete control" of football operations. He would more than likely have input on who is hired as GM though.

Veritas
1/9/2010, 11:41 AM
IMO it's a loss for college football. I'm in the minority here, but I like Carroll.

Seamus
1/9/2010, 11:43 AM
If they Hire him . It just gives me another team to HATE :D

^^^ This.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2010, 11:49 AM
IMO it's a loss for college football. I'm in the minority here, but I like Carroll.

That's because your Huskers' pants down spanking to him didn't happen in the BCS National Championship game with one of the best teams your program has produced.

AlbqSooner
1/9/2010, 11:49 AM
If he leaves it is only because the hammer is about to fall. That suc job would be hard to beat (big money, easy recruiting, climate, university park area etc.).

This is also known as the Lou Holtz syndrome.

sooner94
1/9/2010, 11:51 AM
Couple of thoughts on this.

What if Carroll goes to Seattle and they wind up drafting Bradford? Man, I hope that does not happen.

Not that Stoops would go to USC, but I had a good laugh when I pictured Snoop Dog and Stoops hanging out at a practice. Stoops would be called "Stoop Dog." And Snoop Dog would say in an interview with the LA Times, "Stizzle is the Manizzle."

Salt City Sooner
1/9/2010, 11:59 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/92336/pc_20chance.jpg

Stitch Face
1/9/2010, 12:15 PM
That's because your Huskers' pants down spanking to him didn't happen in the BCS National Championship game with one of the best teams your program has produced.

What are you talking about? I don't remember OU ever getting beaten by USC in a BSC game...

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/9/2010, 12:28 PM
Here's something I haven't heard anyone mention in all this...Pete Carroll leaving USC with a record of 97-19 means OU's record of being the only program with four 100-win coaches is likely safe for YEARS.

Leroy Lizard
1/9/2010, 02:05 PM
What are you talking about? I don't remember OU ever getting beaten by USC in a BSC game...

I remember our last game against USC. Damn Cale Gundy throws an INT on the first play.

Some guys in this forum have an opinion about Pete's departure.

http://wearesc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

oudavid1
1/9/2010, 05:00 PM
We most likley wont get any of there recruits, we are out of spots to offer

Flagstaffsooner
1/9/2010, 05:17 PM

You're a perfect fit in Seattle, ex Navy.

Flagstaffsooner
1/9/2010, 05:27 PM
Coaches would be stupid to take the SC job if Pete would jump ship after all he's done there.

Regardless, some stupid commentator is going to get on ESPN and put Bob Stoops' name out there as a potential replacement.
Here's the perfect fit for suc...
http://www.jonhs.com/mugshots/images/simpson.jpg

sendbaht
1/9/2010, 06:36 PM
I remember our last game against USC. Damn Cale Gundy throws an INT on the first play.

Some guys in this forum have an opinion about Pete's departure.

http://wearesc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Thanks Leroy for the link. Some wonderful reading tonight.:)

badger
1/9/2010, 08:45 PM
Rooney Rule=Affirmative Action=Entitlement=Part of the reason for downfall of America.
All of the above not the same as Equal Employment Opportunity.

I don't mind the rule. Sure they have to interview a minority, but that doesn't mean they have to hire the minority.

Based on how many are getting interviews and jobs regardless now, the rule may be a non-factor after awhile.

badger
1/9/2010, 08:46 PM
Here's the perfect fit for suc...
http://www.jonhs.com/mugshots/images/simpson.jpg

The best part is that any money he gets would go straight to the Goldman family. They took the money from that ripoff non-NFL video game, they took his secret "If I did it" book deal and they've been selling any stuff of OJ's that surfaces for years.

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2010, 01:28 AM
I just saw the Sanchez remark during his post game interview. Too funny - joking that he repeated Carroll's advice back to him that he was making a bad decision by going to the NFL. I'm been a bit of a Sanchez fan since last year when he decided to leave early and Carroll promptly made himself look like an azz publicly criticizing Sanchez. It also left 'SC which a true frosh QB and a tough season this year. Kudos Mark :D

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 03:28 AM
I found this pretty funny. Leslie Frazier is the supposed token minority interviewee.

http://wearesc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109908

Dear Leslie Frazier,

Thank you for applying for the position of Head Coach. We feel that matching the right individual with the right job is essential, so we consider applications very carefully. After reviewing your experience and background, we have decided to pursue other candidates whose qualifications more closely match the needs of our position.

We have saved your information in our database and will contact you if jobs matching your qualifications open. We also invite you to visit our website www.seahawks.com regularly to apply online to other jobs that may interest you. New opportunities are posted every day.

Have a good day and please do not reply to this email.

I changed the salutation a bit.

Collier11
1/10/2010, 04:03 AM
I just love how Carroll can do this and get out of any possible future sanctions while the school will be hammered, just like in all other cases. I think if a coach gets a school in trouble and it can be proven that they had something to do with it the coach should get a more severe sanction than the school if they coach college again

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2010, 04:32 AM
If the coach leaves college football, what can be done?

stoopified
1/10/2010, 06:50 AM
The thing I like Most about Pete leaving USC?It leaves OU(at least for the foreseable future) as the only schoolwith (4) 100 win coaches.Pete would have done it in 2010 which would have given the Condomns (4) 100 win coaches.

For perspective UT has (2),Miami (0),FSU(1),Alabama(2),Nebraska(2),ND(2),Michigan(2 ),TOSU(2).

SGT Park3R
1/10/2010, 06:57 AM

Now that's a classic statement. Well played!

Desert Sapper
1/10/2010, 08:14 AM

What are you talking about? Who said anything about OU? I was talking to Veritas. Nebraska was nowhere near a national championship when SC spanked them.

bluedogok
1/10/2010, 11:55 AM
I just love how Carroll can do this and get out of any possible future sanctions while the school will be hammered, just like in all other cases. I think if a coach gets a school in trouble and it can be proven that they had something to do with it the coach should get a more severe sanction than the school if they coach college again
I think that pretty much is the case now, after Sampson's infractions at IU after being on probation for his crap at OU he is pretty much a non-candidate for any NCAA job which is why he is a NBA assistant now. I think Hal Mumme is pretty much in the same classification, wasn't that Anderson guy at OSU who recruited Hart Lee Dykes banned from college coaching? I think anyone wanting to hire them has to get it approved through the NCAA. If they find serious sanctions against Carroll then they could invoke that same rule and they may since USC has not cooperated with the NCAA on the Bush (and other) incidents.

SoonerShark
1/10/2010, 11:59 AM
He's already a pro coach...been payin players for years!!!!

USC and Texas' 2006 Rose Bowl BCS Championship game was the first all professional undergraduate game in NCAA history.

SoonerShark
1/10/2010, 12:03 PM
If not a BCS championship, will Stoops and Oklahoma have an additional win if USC forfeits 2004's season? Reggie Bush and perhaps others were paid in 2003, 2004 and 2005 according to reported tesimony.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 12:07 PM
Not the way I'd like to have it and I'm not sure I'd want to see it posted on the wall. If suc lost it because of all these accusations....I'm not sure how to feel about it. That was an awful day for us.

bluedogok
1/10/2010, 12:13 PM
As far as I am concerned it should just be a "vacated win" by USC if the NCAA nails them. There is no way it should ever be listed as an OU win...especially after what that game was. Maybe treated as "No National Champion that season due to a vacated BCS game win" or something like that.

boomerborn79
1/10/2010, 12:49 PM
As far as I am concerned it should just be a "vacated win" by USC if the NCAA nails them. There is no way it should ever be listed as an OU win...especially after what that game was. Maybe treated as "No National Champion that season due to a vacated BCS game win" or something like that.

Let's just give it to Bama. If they didn't claim it already ofcourse.:D

badger
1/10/2010, 01:39 PM
If the coach leaves college football, what can be done?

Give him the Roman Polanski treatment. Drive him out with the threat that if he ever comes back, he will be punished even worse for trying to avoid punishment in the first place.