PDA

View Full Version : Word on the streets is that Prater decomitted from USC...

tommieharris91
1/8/2010, 09:56 PM
I have no link regarding this news, but with Carroll leaving USC, I would expect more of his recruits to bail out. Any chance we get any of their guys?

ratherthanlater
1/8/2010, 10:17 PM
I'd like to get Xavier Grimble.

Soonerus
1/8/2010, 10:20 PM
USC going on probation...

OULenexaman
1/8/2010, 11:24 PM
I have no link regarding this news, but with Carroll leaving USC, I would expect more of his recruits to bail out. Any chance we get any of their guys? I will be talking to his Dad on monday....I see and talk to him 3 to 4 times a week....this changes everything....plus his mom and dad were not that excited about him going to USC from the get go.......I know....His dad has expressed this to me many times....stay tuned...:pop:

oudavid1
1/8/2010, 11:29 PM
Golly i hope we get him

DakotaSooner
1/9/2010, 10:32 AM
This opens up a couple of doors for us. You would certainly think that USC would have some shaky commitments with everything that is going down.

BillyBall
1/9/2010, 10:53 AM
I think that if Grimble decommits, we would be in great shape. We were in the final 2 when he committed originally.

Prater on the other hand, I have a hard time believing he ends up in Norman.

boomersooner28
1/9/2010, 10:57 AM
According to USC peeps, Prater has been trying to get a hold of anyone on the coaching staff and they won't return his calls.

DakotaSooner
1/9/2010, 11:42 AM
Grimble and Prater and Henderson would be welcomed with arms wide open.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2010, 12:11 PM
I'm thinking many of their recruits would be welcome with WIDE OPEN arms...Petey has been recruiting like a MFer for years.

boomersooner28
1/9/2010, 12:17 PM
Speaking of Henderson, they say they lost him to tOSU? I haven't seen anything about him committed anywhere? :confused:

IronHorseSooner
1/9/2010, 12:48 PM
This may have second-order effect with guys still considering them. The one that comes to mind is Jackson Jeffcoat. I know that SUC was one of his finalists. He might be another that where it comes down between us and UTerus, if SUC gets eliminated.

Whereas Grimble is a top-tier talent, I don't know if we would necessarily go after him. We already signed a Top 10, home-grown TE with Haywood, and a really good TE/H-Back type with Millard. To me, Prater would be more likely, now that he knows that White isn't coming here.

jonclarkx
1/9/2010, 01:23 PM
Did Prater take a visit to Norman? Sounds like he was down to ND and USC until Weis left, which left him to strengthen his verbal to USC. The only other contending teams he was considering before was Illinois (his home state) and Alabama.

Grimble on the other hand was down to USC and OU - if he were to decommit it would pretty much be us unless he wanted to consider Florida again.

jonclarkx
1/9/2010, 01:26 PM
Here is a quote from Brennan Clay from back in September

"I think were going to get (Kyle) Prater," Clay said. "He backed off his USC commitment and I think we have a great shot at him. To be honest, I think we can get Prater and Darius White"

Obviously we didn't get White, but if Prater were to decommit, sounds like Clay thinks we might be next in line.

trwxxa
1/9/2010, 02:28 PM
Speaking of Henderson, they say they lost him to tOSU? I haven't seen anything about him committed anywhere? :confused:

There is a blurb on ESPN.Com. It only stated his 5th official visit was going to be to Miami. He had already tripped to USC, ND, Florida and tOSU.

pappy
1/9/2010, 02:52 PM
Kyle Prater is going to be an early enrollee too. If he were to decommitt and pick us we'd have him and kenny stills at wr in the spring.

Collier11
1/9/2010, 03:00 PM
Apparently usc assistants never called back a group of commits when the commits called regarding what Carroll was doing, completely ignored them but called today asking if their commitment still stood or not. Real Classy

IronHorseSooner
1/9/2010, 03:06 PM
That's funny that they would call back to today, since Prater is playing in an all-star game in San Antonio today! SUC got some recruits today, but they were defensive. The commentators stated that a coaching move like this is more important for offensive versus defensive guys. If let's say, Coach Leach went to SUC, then Grimble might look elsewhere because Leach's offense doesn't use TEs. If they get a more run-oriented, SEC-type guy, then Prater would probably want to move. However, if I were any one of those guys, I would want to un-arse the AO and get away from that sinking ship. BTW, some of those guys committing to SUc are SoCal guys who are SUC fans, so I wouldn't read much into this.

delhalew
1/9/2010, 09:31 PM
There is a blurb on ESPN.Com. It only stated his 5th official visit was going to be to Miami. He had already tripped to USC, ND, Florida and tOSU.

That means Henderson has eliminated us. I heard him say he was trying to decide between us and Miami for his final visit.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2010, 10:24 PM
Henderson would be smart to come here. He would have a very good shot at starting from jump street and receiving the messiah-like love from the press (and the fans) for solidifying our O-Line. Our O-Line is going to be better in '10, anyway. Henderson would give it that extra boost to put it in a top-5 status, IMO.

I would like to see George Uko reopen his recruiting. We really need a top DT.

Prater would be nice. I think he would have a very good shot to play early for us, and would be playing on a national stage.

Grimble would be excellent. We really missed having that playmaking ability at the TE spot this year.

Ultimately, I'd be happy with whatever we can win out of this. It seems like USC has been winning several recruiting battles with us recently.

The only thing that would be better than Pete Carroll leaving USC for us would be a tactical nuke (figurative of course ;) ) going off in Austin.

KiiDSooNER
1/9/2010, 10:26 PM
Not only Prater, but apparently Dillon Baxter, Xavier Grimble, Robert Woods, and D.J. Morgan are going to look elsewhere.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2010, 10:29 PM
they didn't act like it at the Army AA game.

sooner59
1/9/2010, 11:25 PM
Looks like Prater made it official.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/teams/preps/news/story?id=4812145

OULenexaman
1/9/2010, 11:49 PM
I know for a fact that Illinois is not in the picture....he only made that visit because he and his dad promised Zook that he would....this will come down to OU and ND....I'll know more on Monday or Tuesday when I talk to his dad....one thing for sure is he will not enroll on Monday at SUC....and his dad is so sick of this process he can't see straight....

jonclarkx
1/10/2010, 01:20 AM
Looks like Prater made it official.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/teams/preps/news/story?id=4812145

So do we even have a chance at getting Prater over ND (assuming Illinois really wasn't in the mix)? Do you think he'll still enroll early wherever he goes? That gives him like a week?

Desert Sapper
1/10/2010, 08:29 AM
Somebody said UF was in the picture (rivals, I think..or Tom Lemming during the Army AA game)?

BillyBall
1/10/2010, 09:41 AM
Somebody said UF was in the picture (rivals, I think..or Tom Lemming during the Army AA game)?

Since it came from Lemming, I'm shocked he didn't say that he was a ND lean. That guy sucks the sweat off of ND's jocks.

IronHorseSooner
1/10/2010, 09:59 AM

Lemming also said a while back that Kenny Stills was an FLA lean, and we know how that turned out?:D On the flip side, he also said that White was a lean to us. :mad:

Soonez
1/10/2010, 12:02 PM
Good job on the info,,, keep it up,,, I REALLY want us to get Prater! Keep us updated.

sooner59
1/10/2010, 02:35 PM
So do we even have a chance at getting Prater over ND (assuming Illinois really wasn't in the mix)? Do you think he'll still enroll early wherever he goes? That gives him like a week?

Apparently he really like ND until the Weiss thing went down, then he was a solid SUC guy. I guess it depends on what he thinks about Brian Kelly and Florida compared to OU. Its probably wide open. I won't hold my breath but I am definitely hoping we get him.

oudavid1
1/10/2010, 04:06 PM
Well we only have 1 spot left, so if hes gonna commit he had better do it before anyone else

Collier11
1/10/2010, 04:08 PM
I actually think we have 2 or 3 spots left, Rhino whats it looking like?

Curly Bill
1/10/2010, 04:34 PM
Well we only have 1 spot left, so if hes gonna commit he had better do it before anyone else

You're kidding right?

Believe me, if he wants to come here we will find him a spot.

oudavid1
1/10/2010, 06:23 PM
You're kidding right?

Believe me, if he wants to come here we will find him a spot.

And do what? kick someone off that we already offered? and you can only offer 25 a year (but we had 5 left over from last year) so we only get 30 this year. Dont expect it to happen

We have 2 spots left****

Collier11
1/10/2010, 07:18 PM
Im fairly certain that you have no idea how many spots exactly that we have or what Stoops will do, if Stoops wants Prater and Prater wants to come here, we will get him

Curly Bill
1/10/2010, 08:26 PM
Yup, no question.

If one of the very top recruits in the country wants to come here, we're really going to tell him: sorry we're all full. :rolleyes:

sooner59
1/10/2010, 09:19 PM
I would bet on Jimmy Stevens losing a scholly if Prater wanted in. He went to private school, I'm sure mommy and daddy can afford in-state tuition. I know several family's that couldn't afford anything but public school for their kids and can find a way to pay for college. Its not like he is earning his scholly or anything.

oudavid1
1/10/2010, 09:19 PM
Im fairly certain that you have no idea how many spots exactly that we have or what Stoops will do, if Stoops wants Prater and Prater wants to come here, we will get him

A friend of mine was personally told this information by Bob Stoops, im not saying we cant get him, but it is unlikley. We have a few offers out to guys who havnt decided yet (Seantrel Henderson, John Cullen, and Jackson Jeffcoat) So its all a matter of who commits first, and you cant expect Kyle Prater to immediately pick Oklahoma, this all a matter of who commits first. And we do need Jeffcoat and Cullen more than Prater.

Eielson
1/10/2010, 09:40 PM
A friend of mine was personally told this information by Bob Stoops

I question your "friends" truthfulness.

oudavid1
1/10/2010, 09:46 PM
I question your "friends" truthfulness.

Well i can guarantee the accuracy of that information. Why would i lie

Eielson
1/10/2010, 09:52 PM

How can you guarantee the accuracy? You claim your friend heard it, not you. Therefore you CAN'T guarantee the accuracy. You can only guarantee or not guarantee that your friend said it.

oudavid1
1/10/2010, 09:56 PM
How can you guarantee the accuracy? You claim your friend heard it, not you. Therefore you CAN'T guarantee the accuracy. You can only guarantee or not guarantee that your friend said it.

No, i guarantee that Bob Stoops told "source" this information to his/her face. But your entitled to your own opinion.

Collier11
1/10/2010, 10:01 PM

well I can gaurantee we dont trust you...pretty basic rule of thumb on a message board, if you are going to brag about having inside info you need to have facts to back it up.

Not saying you are lying, just saying of course we are going to be skeptical

oudavid1
1/10/2010, 10:04 PM
well I can gaurantee we dont trust you...pretty basic rule of thumb on a message board, if you are going to brag about having inside info you need to have facts to back it up.

Not saying you are lying, just saying of course we are going to be skeptical

I understand, i mean i cant say how i know these things, but i do believe them. And i know its hard to believe what someone says on a message board, but im not looking for any award here. Im just obsessed with Sooner football like you guys and i am fortunate to have certain connections.

Collier11
1/10/2010, 10:10 PM
Cpl of tidbits about the Carroll situation and how it will affect OU

Apparently Ken norton going with Carroll, therefore no Jeffcoat to USC

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

Then there are these tidbits regarding USC finally getting in trouble

"The NCAA turned down USC’s request to self-impose sanctions and restrictions on the school’s football program, which may have hastened Pete Carroll’s departure to the Seattle Seahawks, CBS NFL insider Charley Casserly reported on The NFL Today pregame show.

The NCAA’s decision may have been a factor in Carroll lessening his demand of having complete control of an organization’s football operations before agreeing to coach an NFL team, Casserly believes."

and also this...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AraLlI1OwwTftjITqE6IXXscvrYF?slug=dw-carroll011010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Curly Bill
1/10/2010, 10:58 PM
For the record: I don't necessarily think we get Prater, but if he wanted to come here we'd damn sure find a scholly for him.

Collier11
1/10/2010, 10:59 PM
Cus of BV

Curly Bill
1/10/2010, 11:01 PM
Cus of BV

Even BV would be smart enough to find a scholly for Prater if he wants to come to OU. ;)

sooner59
1/10/2010, 11:11 PM
Strip Sam Bradford of his scholly!!!

Probably doesn't work like that, huh?

oudavid1
1/11/2010, 12:33 AM
Strip Sam Bradford of his scholly!!!

Probably doesn't work like that, huh?

Haha no, but it could happen, he just has to commit before anyone else

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2010, 02:56 AM
This may have second-order effect with guys still considering them. The one that comes to mind is Jackson Jeffcoat. I know that SUC was one of his finalists. He might be another that where it comes down between us and UTerus, if SUC gets eliminated.

Whereas Grimble is a top-tier talent, I don't know if we would necessarily go after him. We already signed a Top 10, home-grown TE with Haywood, and a really good TE/H-Back type with Millard. To me, Prater would be more likely, now that he knows that White isn't coming here.

And when did we sign these players exactly? Signing day is not until Feb!

oudavid1
1/11/2010, 12:16 PM
What i am saying is, with the many recruits we have offered, the next 2 that say yes to OU we will get!

BoomerSooner88
1/11/2010, 01:54 PM
I found this on Scout.com, apparently Prater is lookig at Tennessee as well, he didnt take any official visits to Tennessee during the season. Nor did he visit us during the season...any news on whether hes looking for a visit to Norman?

http://tennessee.scout.com/a.z?s=7&p=2&c=936583&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2ftennessee.scout.com%2f2% 2f936583.html

"Pete Carroll's impending departure from USC apparently is playing a big role in one of the nation's top prospects final decision. InsideTennessee.com caught up with five star prospect Kyle Prater Sunday morning to get his thoughts about the situation and his plans for the future. It appears that Prater is planning a visit to Rocky Top, as early as this week."

OULenexaman
1/12/2010, 11:00 AM
if he's visiting Rocky Top someone needs to tell his parents...

KYHonorarySooner
1/12/2010, 12:02 PM
What i am saying is, with the many recruits we have offered, the next 2 that say yes to OU we will get!

Hmmm... Captain Obvious. And what Curly is saying that there is no way in hell we would turn down Henderson, Grimble, Prater, or anyone else in the top 20 of the Rivals 100. Whether or not our "numbers" would "work" is beside the point. A way would be found! Academic scholly, pay to play, otherwise. Also remember that scholarships are renewable on a yearly basis. Not a 4 year ride.

oudavid1
1/12/2010, 05:51 PM
IF Kyle Prater dosnt decide before 2 other offers do, he most likley will go somewhere else

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2010, 07:41 PM
Hmmm... Captain Obvious. And what Curly is saying that there is no way in hell we would turn down Henderson, Grimble, Prater, or anyone else in the top 20 of the Rivals 100. Whether or not our "numbers" would "work" is beside the point. A way would be found! Academic scholly, pay to play, otherwise. Also remember that scholarships are renewable on a yearly basis. Not a 4 year ride.

28 commits - 5 early entrants (i presume all enrolled), that means there are 2 slots open in the fall. (85 total, 25 per year)

anything over 2 would require someone walking on (no binding LOI), grayshirting (no binding LOI), or being told politely to go elsewhere.

Soonez
1/12/2010, 09:48 PM
If this Kiffin to USC thing is true, and I'm pretty sure it is, this puts Prater back at USC I'd assume.

jonclarkx
1/12/2010, 10:09 PM
http://otrsportsonline.com/2010/01/12/will-lane-kiffin-bring-kyle-prater-to-usc/

Tigeman
1/12/2010, 10:50 PM
The SC boards are claiming Prater is already back and so is Grimble. But you know how people like to talk on message boards.... just random chatter.

I could see Prater going that though... especially now that Chow is going back as well. Supposedly Grimble is a member on FB about some group to keep the SC recruiting class together.

Desert Sapper
1/12/2010, 10:55 PM
Kiffin is mini Pete. I'm sure all the recruits will float back now that he's there. The real question is what will the NCAA do? I wouldn't want to be a player on that sinking ship.

OULenexaman
1/13/2010, 12:37 AM
I had a long talk with Praters dad today......and what happened today was not what they expected.....everything is changing.....JKM....pm me if you want to know what I now hear from the horses mouth...it is not correct to post it here IMO....

Collier11
1/13/2010, 12:41 AM
Its not correct to post it here but you will share it via PM?

BoomerSooner88
1/13/2010, 11:31 AM
Prater is solid with SUC commitment..

ESPNU 150 wide receiver Kyle Prater solid with USC choice
Four-star pass-catcher Kyle Prater of Proviso West (Hillside, Ill.), is excited about the hiring of new head coach Lane Kiffin and now plans to enroll at Southern California next week.

OULenexaman
1/13/2010, 11:58 AM
Prater is solid with SUC commitment..

ESPNU 150 wide receiver Kyle Prater solid with USC choice
Four-star pass-catcher Kyle Prater of Proviso West (Hillside, Ill.), is excited about the hiring of new head coach Lane Kiffin and now plans to enroll at Southern California next week.

that came out fast...wasn't going to be announced until friday...his dad did confirm it about 3 hrs ago....also Jack Del Rio would have saved the day as well....

FaninAma
1/13/2010, 12:31 PM
So I guess either Prater's family have been told the sanctions headed USC's way aren't too severe or they don't care.

Still seems odd that USC's recruits seem to be overlooking the cloud hanging over the program.

Big D Sooner
1/13/2010, 05:02 PM
Has anyone heard any more news about Grimble?

KYHonorarySooner
1/13/2010, 05:24 PM
At this point I would go ahead and assume they are all going to stay. There is no way that team (Kiffin & Orgeron) will let any of the high profile commits out of there.

Interesting thought - this could be the making of a perfect storm for the 2010 recruiting class. You have the USC commits who were recruited under Petey and you have the UT commits who were recruited under Lane. What's stopping them from keeping all the blue chippers on USC's list and bringing some of the top tier talent recruited at UT to USC? I can definitely see this happening.

Anyone follow NCAA mens bball? See Calipari's move from Memphis to UK for an example. If this happens then God help us all.

Collier11
1/13/2010, 05:28 PM
Alot harder to get 25 recruits in football to make a huge impact early than 5 or 6 in bball

BoulderSooner79
1/13/2010, 09:07 PM
It's a long way from Knoxville to LA (as opposed to Memphis to Kentucky). But I could see Kiffin pulling a recruit or 2 with him. I can't imagine anyone improving on what Petey did in recruiting and Kiffin still needs to prove he can coach an elite team.

Soonermagik
1/13/2010, 09:48 PM
Still seems odd that USC's recruits seem to be overlooking the cloud hanging over the program.

This!!

Plus, Kiffin has never won anywhere!!! He was a bum in Oakland and didn't win any significant games at Tennesse. These recruits will regret picking USC for several reasons.

Tigeman
1/14/2010, 12:07 AM
Well heck, looks like we've lost Grimble... AGAIN. I knew he was a member of a FB group wanting to keep the recruiting class together. But now this...

Grimble Link (http://wearesc.com/news/story.php?article=2844)

"“It’s pretty exciting,” said Grimble. “It’s good to know we have a good coach and I’m interested to get to know him. I was shocked because I’ve been watching USC and looking around on the internet to see who it was going to be and didn’t see his name and I didn’t think he would leave Tennessee. I’m glad, I feel bad for the guys going to Tennessee, but it’s good for me.”

delhalew
1/16/2010, 01:01 AM
These guys have no idea if Kiffin can coach a lick...rocks in they're f'n heads.

oudavid1
1/16/2010, 01:05 AM
(U)niversity of (S)poiled (C)hildren