PDA

View Full Version : OSU one of the "big 3" in the big XII south?

meoveryouxinfinity
1/8/2010, 01:42 PM
Really? I only thought there were two... but OrangePower disagrees.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=86051

I've been thinking about how the Big XII South will look next year:

South:

Baylor- Should be an improved team overall. Plus they will have Griffin back. I could see them becoming a bowl team next year. I could also see it being Briles last year in Waco if they do make a bowl and finish in the middle of the South.

Texas A&M - Returning some Offensive talent and have recruited well. Make or break year for Sherman. Will be battling with Baylor and Tech for breakout team that will shock one of the big 3 (OU,OSU,Texas)

Texas Tech - First year coaches struggle unless they go to Big Time programs with built in recruiting. They will win their fair share but I see them really struggling in Big XII play. They will win at least one game against baylor or a&m and could surprise 1 of the big 3

Texas - McCoy and Shipley finally gone. Did they have anyone else on Offense this year? They are really hard to predict. Their D will be Elite. Their O could be very average. Similar to Nebraska this year maybe? Lost some strange games but still be a very solid team with 3-4 losses.

OU - Probably better off than any other South team in that they have a proven returning QB and should have a better line next year. Will also have an Elite D. I see OU winning the South but not without a loss somewhere a long the way. Maybe 2 depending on their schedule.

OSU - replacing alot on both sides of the ball. I feel like we have a shot at upsetting OU or Texas but we will probably drop 1 to Tech, A&M or Baylor. Guessing 3rd place finish in the South.

Summary:

OU should be the early favorite. Texas could really be anywhere depending on who they find for QB. Their D is good enough to win the Big XII but could slip at any point. OSU will be more in the mix with the team that emerges from A&M, Tech, and Baylor. I'm going with OSU tied with one of these three for 3rd but owning the tie breaker. I'm going to say A&M with Baylor close behind and Tech in last.

*this was just for fun. I didn't look at any teams schedules for next year, specifically I didn't look at who plays who from the North.

quick North predicition: Nebraska, Missouri tied with K-state for second, Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas. I could also see Colorado being dead last.

but hey, not too shabby of an analysis. I just thought it was funny (and sad) because they are so delusional.

SicEmBaylor
1/8/2010, 01:44 PM
If the Big XII South had a "Big 3" it would be, up to this point: OU, UT, and Tech with Aggie and OSU battling for 4/5 and us at 6.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/8/2010, 01:46 PM
If the Big XII South had a "Big 3" it would be, up to this point: OU, UT, and Tech with Aggie and OSU battling for 4/5 and us at 6.

I think we just made history Sicem, I have never agreed with you on anything. :eek:

They might become #3 without Leach at Tech. But based on history.. they are not "the big three", and probably behind A&M by a smidgen.

bri
1/8/2010, 01:53 PM
This, people, is why I have nothing but seething disdain for aggy. That's like the Washington Generals calling themselves and the Globetrotters "the big 2".

Pricetag
1/8/2010, 01:56 PM
First A&M got it, now OSU is going to get it:

My biggest thrill came the night Elgin Baylor and I combined for 73 points in Madison Square Garden. Elgin had 71 of them.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/8/2010, 01:59 PM
First A&M got it, now OSU is going to get it:

greatness.

Stitch Face
1/8/2010, 02:04 PM
Makes me wonder if TTech and aTm fans refer to themselves as part of "the big 3." It's an interesting psychological phenomenon how people who know they're not the best at something default to thinking surely they must be right up there behind the big dogs...

...or maybe OSU fans are just ridiculous.

Collier11
1/8/2010, 02:07 PM
If there is a Big 3 which there really isnt, it would be Tech, not osu

OUDoc
1/8/2010, 02:09 PM
That guy is vastly over-rating OSU next year. They lose something like 80% of their starters and he thinks they'll be #3 in the south? They have an excellent shot at being really bad next year.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/8/2010, 02:10 PM
That guy is vastly over-rating OSU next year. They lose something like 80% of their starters and he thinks they'll be #3 in the south? They have an excellent shot at being really bad next year.

you should read the first page of that thread. some gems in there.

Wow I cant understand how some of you think we are going to be third? Lets just start on the offensive side of the ball where we lose 4 linemen and start an inexperienced qb. That same inexperienced qb will be throwing to recievers who have experience but cannot hold on to the ball. We will have a good stable of runningbacks talent wise but behind 4 new linemen it will be tough to get yards but it will get better at the end of the year when the line will have had time to gell. On defense we lose some really good player like most of our linebackers and who really knows if Lemon will be able to produce like before. We lose Cox in the secondary and that will hurt. Our D-line the big losses are miller and Burton but I think Chinasa will have a good year.

I am not as worried about our defense as much as I am our offense next year because the defense actually improved over the year and I think the offense got worse, but some of that can be attributed to injuries and bad play calling.

Next year the Big12 schedule gets a lot harder for us. Nebraska will be very good on defense and with the new faces we will have on offense it might get nasty. We go to Tech where we have not won since WW2 and I think some people just think Tech football is going to hide under a rock now that Leach is gone but I dont see that happening at all. Baylor will be tougher with Griffin back but they lose some guys on defense, but again I just cant imagine us having a very good offense at all next year. Every time we play OU or Texas we just **** down our legs because we are so scared of them. I mean hell, OU was down to a walk on center, without their All-American lineman, and lost a linebacker on top of all their other injuries before our game and they still destroyed us. A&M will just keep getting better and could be scary with a good defensive coordinator. Jerrod Johnson is a very athletic and could be very good if he just eliminates a few bone headed mistakes.

I see us losing at least 5 big12 games next year and I dont really know how Kansas will be next year but K-State was improving over the year and will be even better next year. Gundy will have done a good job if we can go 7-5 next year but except for last year Gundy has lost at least one game every that we shouldnt have so we might be 6-6.

I know that really pessimistic but thats just how I see. I will be at the games rooting for the cowboys but I just am not expecting a very good team next year because of how young we will be.

SicEmBaylor
1/8/2010, 02:12 PM
Makes me wonder if TTech and aTm fans refer to themselves as part of "the big 3." It's an interesting psychological phenomenon how people who know they're not the best at something default to thinking surely they must be right up there behind the big dogs...

...or maybe OSU fans are just ridiculous.

They don't. Now, Aggie does like to think of itself as a traditional football powerhouse that rightfully belongs at the top of the pecking order, but I've never heard them refer to themselves as part of the "Big 3."

The thing is, none of the 4 Texas schools pay a damned bit of attention to OSU except when one of us plays them. The Tech, UT, Aggie, and Baylor boards routinely discuss the other Texas schools + OU (UT and Aggie discuss us a bit more often than Tech does), but I rarely see a mention of OSU. This year there was a slight uptick earlier in the season when OSU was looking good, but I haven't seen an OSU thread in a very long time.

OSU just isn't on anyone radar screen. They naturally get more mentions here, but as for the 4 Texas schools...well nobody gives a ****.

Piware
1/8/2010, 02:17 PM
If there is a Big 3 which there really isnt, it would be Tech, not osu

You just don't understand. They are a team on the rise, the program is headed in the right direction, their future is bright. blah, blah, blah.
Same old shat every year.

They are also wanting a Kendall Hunter for Heisman campaign. Think maybe should wait until he plays in more than 2 games a season? Oh yeah, Weeden is going to be a world beater - he showed that against Colorado.

bri
1/8/2010, 02:32 PM
Hey, just give the facilities time to do their thing.

*snort*

Stitch Face
1/8/2010, 02:47 PM
I know most would say the best thing to do with the pokes is just ignore them since their team will always be an also-ran, but what bugs me about OSU, somewhat counterintuitively, is that they actually accept and embrace the underdog/little brother mentality so fervently. Even orange and black, the grotesque antithesis of any typical attractive and noble collegiate colors, are a source of pride for fans who consider themselves the opposite of their upscale (but secretly corrupt) blue-blooded big brothers. Much like it rankles some Sooners to hear OU fans ragging on Texas outside of our annual meetings with each other, OSU's constant focus on OU is what is so annoying. If they could objectively look at their strengths and weaknesses and develop some sort of identity of their own they might (*might*) make some gains. I mean an identity beyond acting like a sheriff or whatever. But their whole universe, from their message boards to their billboards, just screams "Ima cowboy, pew pew! Gonna chase off you Gooners!...I mean 'visitors!' We're the real state's university! Etc. etc."

Stitch Face
1/8/2010, 02:49 PM
Now I'm kinda embarrassed I wrote such a long-*** post about the pokes.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
1/8/2010, 02:52 PM
It really is like the Big 2 and the little 10. Aggie is delusional as usual.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/8/2010, 02:54 PM
I found this one quite hilarious

We've beaten and played close teams against OU and Texas with worse teams and less athleticism than we will have next year. This year was the year until all 3 of our preseason Heisman Candidates was injured or suspended. Each one missed time 2 of the 3 missed significant amount of time and 1 seemed to be less than 100% all year. So "the year" wasn't as good as it was supposed to be.

Also, whats the point of being a fan if you don't think you can at least compete and have a chance to win a game? That's part of the fun. Believing your team always has a "chance".

hahahah! do you they not notice how ridiculous they sound? Just because Sports Illustrated puts you on the regional cover in some gay stance doesn't mean you've got 3 Heisman candidates.

Stitch Face
1/8/2010, 02:58 PM
Dear God, before long they're going to need a bus (one of those short ones, at least) just to get all their Heisman candidates to NYC at the end of the year!

rawlingsHOH
1/8/2010, 02:58 PM
Big 3? Lol

two teams won the title every year for a decade

3 equals tallest midget

meoveryouxinfinity
1/8/2010, 03:00 PM
Dear God, before long they're going to need a bus (one of those short ones, at least) just to get all their Heisman candidates to NYC at the end of the year!

haha. Oh gosh OrangePower puts me in such a good mood. I should read it more often. Kinda like, be glad for what ya got.. because you could've gotten this..

There is a big difference in hoping or thinking that you team has a chance, and keeping a realistic perspective about where our program is and our chances of getting better than a 3rd place finish.

I see no scenario where we are 3rd in the South. This was the best year we have ever had in conference in terms of number of wins (6). We lose basically everyone, so how we are going to move a step forward. We have not shown the ability to beat OU or TX, and until that changes I refuse to believe we can do it. Yes, we have had close games but that does not matter at all. Bottom line is that there is not a single player at OSU that has even sniffed a victory over OU or TX. We are approaching a decade losing streak to the sooners, and have not beat TX in over a decade.

It is not that I am a bad fan because I don't think we will or can win these games, it is just that some people on here have a more realistic perspective when it comes to wins and losses and other view that as being pessimistic or being a bad fan. We are all rooting for the same team to win every game, it is just that some of us are pretty confident in some of the outcomes before the game starts and until proven otherwise will likely remain that way. I have not seen anything in the last few years to indicate that we will beat OU any time soon and I fear the next time we beat OU it will be like it was in the past ... a fluke.

^he gets it.

Eielson
1/8/2010, 03:01 PM
Hasn't OSU lost to both of the "other" Big three teams 7 years in a row?

meoveryouxinfinity
1/8/2010, 03:03 PM
Hasn't OSU lost to both of the "other" Big three teams 7 years in a row?

Lol. Yes, when asked about "the big 3" in the thread by many posters, the threadmaker replied..well I was talking about next year.

Only in aggy fashion.

SoonerAtKU
1/8/2010, 04:14 PM
Hey, just give the facilities time to do their thing.

*snort*

I read this with the "old-timer's" definition of facilities, and it called to mind having to double-flush. How appropos.

humblesooner
1/8/2010, 04:20 PM
Just for grins, pretend that the Aggots are #3.
If the chasm between 1/2 and 3 is as wide as the Grand Canyon, can it really be called a Big 3?
During the Cold War, Canada was one of the Big 3.

Jello Biafra
1/8/2010, 04:26 PM
3 equals tallest midget

roflmao...

goingoneight
1/8/2010, 05:46 PM
Shouldn't a "Big 3" = Kansas State? 3 BIG 12 CCG appearances with one crown, I think. Despite two coaching changes, I'd bet KSU and OSU's 2000-2009 record is similar if not favorable toward KSU.

stoopified
1/8/2010, 06:15 PM
Poke04 is obviously a Gooner fan,how else can he think blowU is better than State? :D

badger
1/8/2010, 06:48 PM
The last time OSU beat a top opponent?

Seriously, when was it?

The last one I can think of was 2001 when OU was ranked, like, in the top 5 or so. I guess OU was ranked pretty high in 2002, so we can count that too.

Since then, no signature wins.

Big 3? Lulz. Someone send them to sheep rehap.

bri
1/8/2010, 07:11 PM
Don't forget, aggy defeated the mighty Georgia Bulldogs this year. If you recall, that was a program-defining victory.

Of course, they promptly went soles-up for a Planet Hooston team that couldn't even win C-USA, but hey.

SoonerMom2
1/8/2010, 07:18 PM

You just made my evening with that quote! I loved reading all they are losing.

How anyone from Okie State could even make such aa remark after gaining 4 yards on the Sooners in the 2nd half is beyond me. This is also the group that touted Zach Robinson for Heisman and when he had two bad games in a row, said he was hurt against Oregon in the Bowl Game and never recovered.

SunnySooner
1/8/2010, 07:36 PM
Ya know, here's something I've never really understood. Why in HELL would anyone be an Oklahoma State football fan? I mean, the vast majority of them are native Okies, right? So you're born into a state that is the home of perhaps the best college football program in the history of ever, right up there with any other storied school, and you CHOOSE to cheer for the Pukes??? WTF??? Only a few of us can be blessed to be born Okies, and therefore have an automatic claim to be a diehard fan of a state school. I understand, if you want to be a pig farmer or whatever and need to attend that other school to complete your education, but that doesn't mean you have to be a fan of their loser football team. In fact, why does lOSUr even bother to field a team at this point? I can understand, in the beginning, both schools having teams, but at some point, oh, say around 1920 or so when it had become clear that one team had the stuff and the other didn't, shouldn't they have just cut their losses and used the money to buy some new cattle worming equipment or something? Because at this point, as we sit here in 2010, they are NEVER going to "catch up". They cannot at this point ever possess a multi-decade dominance of the sport, 7 national titles, 5 Heisman winners, a truckload of conference championships, enough All-Americans to fill a 747, etc. etc. etc. It's game over. They will never be anything but the orange-haired step sister, no matter how hard they try. So why waste all that time, money and effort? Truly, one of the great mysteries of life. But they are fun to pick on, so there's always that.

SoonerDood
1/8/2010, 10:31 PM
Ya know, here's something I've never really understood. Why in HELL would anyone be an Oklahoma State football fan? I mean, the vast majority of them are native Okies, right? So your born into a state that is the home of perhaps the best college football program in the history of ever, right up there with any other storied school, and you CHOOSE to cheer for the Pukes??? WTF??? Only a few of us can be blessed to be born Okies, and therefore have an automatic claim to be a diehard fan of a state school. I understand, if you want to be a pig farmer or whatever and need to attend that other school to complete your education, but that doesn't mean you have to be a fan of their loser football team. In fact, why does lOSUr even bother to field a team at this point? I can understand, in the beginning, both schools having teams, but at some point, oh, say around 1920 or so when it had become clear that one team had the stuff and the other didn't, shouldn't they have just cut their losses and used the money to buy some new cattle worming equipment or something? Because at this point, as we sit here in 2010, they are NEVER going to "catch up". They cannot at this point ever possess a multi-decade dominance of the sport, 7 national titles, 5 Heisman winners, a truckload of conference championships, enough All-Americans to fill a 747, etc. etc. etc. It's game over. They will never be anything but the orange-haired step sister, no matter how hard they try. So why waste all that time, money and effort? Truly, one of the great mysteries of life. But they are fun to pick on, so there's always that.

^THIS

Crucifax Autumn
1/8/2010, 11:19 PM
Shouldn't a "Big 3" = Kansas State? 3 BIG 12 CCG appearances with one crown, I think. Despite two coaching changes, I'd bet KSU and OSU's 2000-2009 record is similar if not favorable toward KSU.

You might have some kinda point there...IF KSU was in the south. Hard to be in the Big 3 of the south when you play in the North. :D

Stitch Face
1/9/2010, 01:09 AM
Ya know, here's something I've never really understood. Why in HELL would anyone be an Oklahoma State football fan? I mean, the vast majority of them are native Okies, right? So you're born into a state that is the home of perhaps the best college football program in the history of ever, right up there with any other storied school, and you CHOOSE to cheer for the Pukes??? WTF??? Only a few of us can be blessed to be born Okies, and therefore have an automatic claim to be a diehard fan of a state school. I understand, if you want to be a pig farmer or whatever and need to attend that other school to complete your education, but that doesn't mean you have to be a fan of their loser football team. In fact, why does lOSUr even bother to field a team at this point? I can understand, in the beginning, both schools having teams, but at some point, oh, say around 1920 or so when it had become clear that one team had the stuff and the other didn't, shouldn't they have just cut their losses and used the money to buy some new cattle worming equipment or something? Because at this point, as we sit here in 2010, they are NEVER going to "catch up". They cannot at this point ever possess a multi-decade dominance of the sport, 7 national titles, 5 Heisman winners, a truckload of conference championships, enough All-Americans to fill a 747, etc. etc. etc. It's game over. They will never be anything but the orange-haired step sister, no matter how hard they try. So why waste all that time, money and effort? Truly, one of the great mysteries of life. But they are fun to pick on, so there's always that.

Like I said, it's because their whole identity is wrapped up in their underdog status. OSU fans embrace it and identify with the poor, noble outlaw who has been wronged by the well-heeled, politically-connected but corrupt establishment.