PDA

View Full Version : To all the whorns bashing Colt

tbl
1/8/2010, 12:21 PM
Looks like we were right and he really was unable to play. I still can't believe they were down on him like that, accusing him of quitting to save his pro career... just sorriness.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-texasqbs010810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Agonizing night for Texas QBs

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
8 hours, 26 minutes ago

Printable View
Return to Original
PASADENA, Calif. – Colt McCoy lined up about 7 yards from his dad, Brad. This was inside the Texas locker room underneath the Rose Bowl bleachers, the Longhorns quarterback missing the biggest game of his career, about to attempt the most important throw of his life.

Colt had the ball and was going to pass it to his dad as a slew of doctors and trainers watched closely. How many times had these two thrown a football back and forth, from their yard in little Tuscola, Texas, to the practice fields of Jim Ned High School, where the dad was the coach and the son was the star?

“Millions,” Colt said. “Millions of times.”

Colt had just lied to the Texas doctors and said that he was capable of returning to the BCS title game against Alabama. A hit by the Tide’s Marcell Dareus, on the fifth play of the game, had sent him to this locker room. He wanted back out there. So he tried to sound convincing despite the fact his arm felt “like a noodle.”

He hadn’t come this far to sit. Colt McCoy was going to lead Texas to the championship. He believed this. He’d always believed this. When he went down, he said, “We were about to dominate.” They weren’t going to lose, not where the Longhorns had last won a championship in 2005, not against a team against whom they’d never lost, certainly not 37-21, as the scoreboard would show after 60 minutes.

Yet on the TV in the corner, he had seen it all fade away in his absence. Alabama was rolling; Texas’ early lead was long gone.

So Colt gripped the ball, stared at his dad and thought, “It’s just a simple throw.” He threw. The ball went soft and wide. Everyone grimaced. “Give it to me again,” Colt demanded. Brad got the ball and gave it back to his son. The next throw was the same, bouncing harmlessly away. “Give it to me again,” Colt said, again. Brad did.

It was the same. It was over. Colt couldn’t throw it 7 yards to his own father. “My arm was dead,” he said. The dad hugged his son. The son broke down and cried.

“There’s no pain on my body,” Colt said later. “If I was a free safety, I’d go out there and make a tackle. I [just] have no strength to throw a football.”

Garrett Gilbert had arrived at the Rose Bowl hoping to play, but not until the fourth quarter, maybe some mop-up duty as the Longhorns cruised to the title. He was a true freshman, an Austin kid and just being here was enough. This was McCoy’s team. Everyone knew that. He’d started every week for four years, won more games than anyone in the sport’s history.

Colt was the guy who never got hurt. Then he got hurt.

So in went Gilbert and while this wasn’t how he wanted it to happen, he jogged out into the middle of a raucous Rose Bowl, his team leading 3-0, and thought, “This is my chance. This is my time.”

He was awful. He was hesitant. His passes weren’t close. His coaches had so little confidence in him they kept running the simplest of running plays. Alabama took the lead and then extended it.

Now the clock was running down on this terrible half of Texas football and Garrett Gilbert was 1-for-9 on the game with an interception.

On what might have been the last play of the half, the call came in for a shovel pass. Gilbert tried it, the ball got tipped and suddenly that same Alabama player that had knocked McCoy out of the game, Marcell Dareus, caught the ball and was chugging toward the end zone.

Dareus goes about 307. Gilbert about 207. The quarterback didn’t care; he was not going to let this lineman pick-six him. Gilbert went for a bear hug. Dareus threw out a stiff arm for the ages and tossed Gilbert to the ground. From there, the freshman quarterback, sprawled out on the grass had to watch the big lineman dance in for another Alabama score. The Tide led 24-6.

“Terrible,” Gilbert said. “I felt terrible.”

There were the two quarterbacks in the halftime locker room and they could’ve had a debate over who was having a worse night. Was it the guy who couldn’t complete a 7-yard pass to his dad? Or the one whose only completion of the game at that point had resulted in a 4-yard loss?

There was no commiserating. McCoy was in Gilbert’s face; not shouting, just teaching. This is what Vince Young had done for McCoy and Chris Simms had done for Vince Young and so on and so on.

“This season I taught him everything I know,” McCoy said.

He needed Gilbert to remember a most important lesson – how to forget. The first half was done and gone. Nothing was going to change it.

“‘You’ve got to forget about everything, ‘” McCoy told him. “‘You’ve got nothing to gain. You’ve got nothing to lose. You’ve got nothing to prove. Just go out there and practice.’”

Gilbert nodded. What the heck, right? It couldn’t get any worse. At this point, pretty much every single person in the stands and every single person watching at home and probably every single person in the Texas locker room thought that the game was over because if Garrett Gilbert was not capable of completing a screen pass, he wasn’t going to lead a historic comeback.

Then Gilbert went out in the third quarter and he completed a pass. It was for just 3 yards but they were positive yards. It felt like a weight went off his shoulder. A few plays later he hit Marquis Goodwin on a short pass that the speedy wideout turned into a 39-yard gain.

“I started to see the field better,” Gilbert said. “I started to complete some passes.”

On the sideline, wearing a headset, Colt McCoy kept screaming encouragement. He kept telling his replacement he could do this.

Near the end of the quarter Gilbert threw a slant for a 44-yard touchdown and jumped around in joy. In the fourth quarter he did it again, throwing a beautiful-28 yard TD. Then he whipped one into Dan Buckner’s arms for the 2-point conversion.

Alabama 24, Texas 21.

The game that was seemingly lost was now a three-point contest. The Texas defense held again. Alabama punted and with 3:14 remaining, Garrett Gilbert walked out on the field, the same field he played so poorly on, huddled up his teammates, the same ones who couldn’t be faulted in doubting his ability, and told them they were about to drive down the field to either tie or win the BCS title game.

“We’re going to take it down there,” Gilbert said.

They believed him.

From the sideline McCoy saw the blitz coming from Gilbert’s blind side. Gilbert said he felt it too. Alabama linebacker Eryk Anders was coming fast, faster than Gilbert realized. Anders crushed Gilbert, springing the ball loose. For a split second, before he got buried into the turf, Gilbert saw the comeback, the game, the championship bounce away.

He prayed one of his guys would get it. They didn’t. Alabama did on Texas’ 3-yard line. A few plays later the Tide scored. Later they scored again. The game ended with Alabama taking a knee and Nick Saban getting a Gatorade bath and a crimson-and-white confetti shower.

McCoy got run down by ABC’s Lisa Salters, who wanted to talk to him on live television. As they stood and waited for the producer to throw it to them, McCoy’s eyes glazed over, the nightmare on top of the nightmare sinking in. When she finally asked him a question, he barely could muster an answer.

By then Gilbert was walking toward the UT locker room, his heartbroken teammates running up and patting him on the back, trying to tell him to pick his head up. This wasn’t on him, they said. Be proud of what you did, they whispered.

He’d thrown four interceptions though. There was that disastrous fumble. And the first half where he’d done nothing, where the hole had been dug.

It all kept running through his mind, he said, and suddenly the emotional roller coaster, the wildest four hours of Garrett Gilbert’s life hit him all at once.

He started to cry.

Colt McCoy was standing in front of his locker for the last time as a Texas Longhorn. He didn’t want it to end. Certainly not like this, his right arm hanging limp, another team celebrating across the way.

“I’ve given everything I had to Texas,” he said. “I’ve given everything I had to college football. I did everything I could. I worked my whole career to be put on this stage. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be taken away like that.”

Down the row of lockers Gilbert was crushed, spent and exhausted. He even looked a little confused. “It hasn’t sunk in yet,” he said. He too couldn’t believe this had happened. Not the McCoy injury – “he never gets hurt.” Not his early struggles. Not his comeback. Not the final futility.

The two quarterbacks, both sons of Texas who dreamed of leading Texas to a championship, shared the same pain and disappointment. Yet where there was finality for the senior, there was a glimmer of hope for the freshman.

“This was the end,” McCoy said, shaking his head.

“This is something to build on,” Gilbert offered up.

This is the losing locker room of the biggest game. This is stars coming and stars going, fortunes rising and careers falling. This is injuries and opportunities; worst-case scenarios and near impossible comebacks. This is two quarterbacks on one team dealing with the same overwhelming night where both of them felt like they’d lost everything.

instigator
1/8/2010, 12:25 PM
Sad stuff for the kid.

KYHonorarySooner
1/8/2010, 12:37 PM
After going through what the Sooners went through with Sam this year you have to feel sorry for the kid. I am happy Bama won but would have liked to see it come against Colt rather than with him on the sideline.

virginiasooner
1/8/2010, 01:07 PM
I admit it, I was cheering on the Crimson Tide. But this truly sucks. In a championship game, you want to see the best play against the best (Gilbert may be scary in a year or two). Was anyone saying way back in October that Sam wasn't really hurt that bad down in Dallas, that he should be playing, that he was trying to preserve his pro career?

cjames317
1/8/2010, 01:18 PM
Good story. Colt's statements to Lisa Salter after the game sounded very familiar.

"I know God has a plan and everything happens for a reason," Bradford said.

We've been blessed with opportunities to watch Sam, Colt and Tebow these past few years.

badger
1/8/2010, 01:20 PM
I don't think anyone would say Sam wasn't really hurt - I mean, his arm was in a cast! He had surgery! He couldn't couldn't even sign autographs at the team hotel to the dozens of people that wouldn't stop asking, let alone throw a pass.

It's not like Colt goes away empty-handed. He won 45 games and a conference title. He got to go to New York twice for the Heisman ceremony. He'll get drafted.

badger
1/8/2010, 01:22 PM
Good story. Colt's statements to Lisa Salter after the game sounded very familiar.

"I know God has a plan and everything happens for a reason," Bradford said.

We've been blessed with opportunities to watch Sam and Colt and nobody from Florida these past few years.

FIFY

S008NER
1/8/2010, 01:32 PM
There is more love for him over here... which is kind of odd. :rolleyes:

sooner59
1/8/2010, 01:36 PM
Well, the majority of us believe Colt is a good guy, he just happens to have been brainwashed as a child into liking burnt orange. No animosity here towards Colt. I felt bad for him last night. I just didn't feel bad at all for their fanbase having to watch it unfold like that.

Scott D
1/8/2010, 01:38 PM
It's odd, but everything you've seen about McCoy paints him as a good kid who just happens to be a lifelong whorn fan/player. It's easy to just hate him because he played for Texas, but to be honest, when he got hurt last night I felt bad for him, and him alone. On the outside I was laughing at Texas fan...thinking "How does that feel bitch?"

TUSooner
1/8/2010, 01:51 PM
It's stories like that that help separate the irrational, not-quite-real "hate" fans have for other teams and the genuine respect and admiration every decent sports fan should have for players doing their best.

That said... I'm not going to get too warm and runny over a story about some whorns who suffered no more or less than what too many of OUr guys suffered this year. That's just sports. As they used to say on TV, "the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, the human drama of athletic competition."

Jello Biafra
1/8/2010, 02:20 PM
how?

how the hell do stories come out like this when they end up losing and the only stories you hear about our loss is a doosh LB talking about how dirty we are after we lose?

tbl
1/8/2010, 02:42 PM
That's not a bad point. I was reading that article and it did cross my mind that I don't recall reading anything like that last year. huh...

StoopTroup
1/8/2010, 02:42 PM
We've seen similar stuff with folks bagging on these players. I've always figured that if it was warranted....you'd hear it from the guys team mates eventually.

In Colt's case....it's obvious that he was hurt from the moment he walked off the field last night. When a guy is hanging an arm to his side like he broke a collarbone...it's not a good sign.

I wish him well and I will always get a kick out of the pic with him going down the slide ride at Disneyland with the big Mickey Mouse gloves on. The guy is a real person who grew up loving his team just like Sam. Both guys were a treat to watch in their career. I just wish they both would have been able to end their careers fighting for the MNC Trophy. They both are great guys and great players.

fwsooner22
1/8/2010, 02:54 PM
Colt is a class act. There are not enough like him. He had article after article written in both DFW papers which makes me believe he always had time for media types too.

He will be missed except for one Saturday in October.

swardboy
1/8/2010, 03:11 PM
Wait a minute, Chrissie taught VY? That explains a lot !

Crimson Kid
1/8/2010, 03:11 PM
I felt really bad for colt last night, to have it taken away like that was very sad to see.

Good luck to you colt, i'm sure i'll be watching you soon on sundays.

Jello Biafra
1/8/2010, 03:13 PM
I felt really bad for colt last night, to have it taken away like that was very sad to see.

Good luck to you colt, i'm sure i'll be watching you soon on sundays.

i wonder if his arm will heal enough to carry that heavy clipboard....

CrimsonJim
1/8/2010, 03:18 PM
It says a lot about the fan bases, when we're the ones propping him up, and his very own are the ones tearing him down. Sad. Not surprising, but sad.

Jello Biafra
1/8/2010, 03:19 PM
It says a lot about the fan bases, when we're the ones propping him up, and his very own are the ones tearing him down. Sad. Not surprising, but sad.

hey, don't lump me in with you guys....im the one who wont even spend money on gas when im in texas lol.

Judge Smails
1/8/2010, 05:05 PM
I talked to a friend of mine in Amarillo this morning and asked what he thought about the game.

He said the talk around town is that Colt and his dad had this planned. I thought he was kidding, so I asked him what he was talking about. He said alot of people (Texas people mind you) think his dad had bet alot of money against Texas.

I asked him several times if he was serious and he swore that is what alot of people in Texas are thinking.

WTF???????? :rolleyes: :confused:

UTgolfer
1/8/2010, 05:20 PM
a friend of mine

He said

Colt and his dad had this planned

He said alot of people

his dad had bet alot of money against Texas

I know this is a Sooner fan board and you obviously wanted to see UT lose but you can do better than this can't you?

Stitch Face
1/8/2010, 05:22 PM
Orange fight!

SoonerShark
1/8/2010, 05:27 PM
I talked to a friend of mine in Amarillo this morning and asked what he thought about the game.

He said the talk around town is that Colt and his dad had this planned. I thought he was kidding, so I asked him what he was talking about. He said alot of people (Texas people mind you) think his dad had bet alot of money against Texas.

I asked him several times if he was serious and he swore that is what alot of people in Texas are thinking.

WTF???????? :rolleyes: :confused:

Neither Colt nor his dad would do such a thing. Neither has shown a lack of character. This isn't USC with hire-a-player. Both Texas and Oklahoma have kids who don't love the school and college football. The Colt McCoys and Sam Bradfords of the world are not that sort and have a sense of pride and loyalty that exceeds the kids who merely have a temporary presence on campus without the roots of pride in a program.

UTgolfer
1/8/2010, 05:34 PM
Looks like we were right and he really was unable to play. I still can't believe they were down on him like that, accusing him of quitting to save his pro career... just sorriness.

Where are you reading that UT fans are bashing Colt?

sooner94
1/8/2010, 06:54 PM
It's odd, but everything you've seen about McCoy paints him as a good kid who just happens to be a lifelong whorn fan/player. It's easy to just hate him because he played for Texas, but to be honest, when he got hurt last night I felt bad for him, and him alone. On the outside I was laughing at Texas fan...thinking "How does that feel bitch?"

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Soonerfan88
1/8/2010, 07:20 PM
I thought it was pretty sad that Herbie was basically saying the same thing during the broadcast.

I, fortunately, don't live in Texas and don't visit their boards but if :texan: fans are trashing Colt I am not surprised. These are the same ones that cheered when Sam went down in Dallas.

Crucifax Autumn
1/8/2010, 07:52 PM

At least 2 of your fan message boards are loaded with it.

VA Sooner
1/8/2010, 07:58 PM
That Dan Wetzel can sure write.

I was hoping for a good game at the very least. The hype was building up, the two teams were supposed to tear each other up with defense.

Colt getting hurt was the worst thing for both teams. Texas loses their best player and Bama suddenly is in a no-win situation.

Gilbert does his best with his inexperience on the biggest stage and had some moments but will be remembered as the guy who threw 4 INTs and fumbled the ball on the 3 yard-line after a blind-side hit/sack.

I turned the TV off after the game was over feeling cheated out of a good game. Imagine what Colt probably feels right now losing what he wanted to do most at the end of his college career. And I'm sure Bama will be questioned about this *win* when the other team loses their best player and they begin to sputter in the third quarter and allow a backup QB and team blow an 18 point lead and come to within 3 points before turning on the burners again... a no-win situation for 'bama.

And a terrible game to end the 2009 college season.

How many more days until the first game of the 2010-2011 season?

westbrooke
1/8/2010, 08:00 PM

Earlier, Leroy posted a link to a particularly nasty Orangebloods thread that now appears to have been deleted by the mods.

This one, though, calls out one of the biggest offenders from that previous thread. Fourth post asks for "JLM" to read and comment. He, among others, proved himself to be a first-class sh!tstick in the aforementioned thread.

http://texas.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=61&tid=137939623&mid=137939623&sid=902&style=2

Seems that cooler heads are prevailing.

cvsooner
1/8/2010, 08:20 PM

In 1865, when the North won the war and reunited the Union, I really think Lincoln should have gone ahead and left Texas out of the deal. Morons.

Crucifax Autumn
1/8/2010, 08:43 PM
Back then texass was claiming they won too.