PDA

View Full Version : Lee Corso's halftime rant

SoonerBK
1/8/2010, 10:55 AM
It sounded to me like he was having a stroke while trying to talk. Is he OK?

Boomer.....
1/8/2010, 10:56 AM
He had a stroke in May.

ocsooner
1/8/2010, 10:57 AM
He did have a stroke this past summer, and he starts to slur his words when he gets excited. There was an article about it in the Daily Oklahoman around the start of the season about it. He reads most of his commentary off cue cards that he writes beforehand. When he starts to stray, he slurs and stammers.

Like I said before, If he is in a profession that requires you to talk for a living, maybe you should hang it up when you have trouble like that. (to which someone else pointed out Lou Holtz, to which I pointed out that it's ESPN - that was about it...)

SoonerBK
1/8/2010, 11:00 AM
I see. I didn't know that. It showed last night.

kiomanche
1/8/2010, 11:40 AM
Could you imagine being stuck in the same room with Lee Corso and Dick Clark?

badger
1/8/2010, 11:50 AM
As much as I don't like listening to Pete Carroll, he held his own and if he ever should get... you know... reprimanded by the NCAA and disallowed from coaching, he could take over for Lee to fill the ex-coach token spot.

If there's anything positive outta that, it would be that it wouldn't be a bunch of Big 10 alums up there anymore. Kind of irritating.

budbarrybob
1/8/2010, 01:15 PM

You're leaving out Kirk Douglas

goingoneight
1/8/2010, 01:21 PM
College Gameday should be as follows:

1. Spencer Tillman
2. Barry Switzer
3. Keith Jackson
4. Mike Leach

:D

Scott D
1/8/2010, 01:25 PM
I feel bad for Corso, here's to hoping that he can spend the next 6 months recovering even more.

ouleaf
1/8/2010, 05:20 PM
I think it might be time for Corso to hang 'em up and retire, at least from full-time Game Day schedule. I'll bet ESPN seriously looks at replacing him for next season. A solution might be him just coming on for the last segment when they go through the picks and he puts on the mascot uniform/head at the end. I realize that is a bit gimmicky, but that is pretty much what he has become at this point.

stoopified
1/8/2010, 05:58 PM
I think it might be time for Corso to hang 'em up and retire, at least from full-time Game Day schedule. I'll bet ESPN seriously looks at replacing him for next season. A solution might be him just coming on for the last segment when they go through the picks and he puts on the mascot uniform/head at the end. I realize that is a bit gimmicky, but that is pretty much what he has become at this point.Ditto

VA Sooner
1/8/2010, 09:18 PM

1. Spencer Tillman
2. Barry Switzer
3. Keith Jackson
4. Mike Leach

I'd love to see that!!!

I read that article in Sooner Illustrated when they interviewed Spencer Tillman's roommate from college. Spencer would know ahead of time he was going to be interviewed by SI, ESPN, or some other paper/magazine and he would stay up late the night before and memorize long vocabulary words jsut to bamboozle the press and make them run for their dictionaries. Hilarious!

bluedogok
1/8/2010, 10:15 PM
I think the late hour of the game/coverage was probably bad for Corso, he seems to be able to handle the morning Gameday pretty well but that late in the day he might already be worn down. My father-in-law has had a couple of minor strokes and he struggles later in the day after tiring with all the activity but does pretty well in the morning.

Scott D
1/9/2010, 11:22 AM
I think the late hour of the game/coverage was probably bad for Corso, he seems to be able to handle the morning Gameday pretty well but that late in the day he might already be worn down. My father-in-law has had a couple of minor strokes and he struggles later in the day after tiring with all the activity but does pretty well in the morning.

This.

Veritas
1/9/2010, 11:43 AM
I feel bad for Corso, here's to hoping that he can spend the next 6 months recovering even more.
Ditto. I like the old guy.

King Barry's Back
1/9/2010, 11:26 PM
I'd love to see that!!!

I read that article in Sooner Illustrated when they interviewed Spencer Tillman's roommate from college. Spencer would know ahead of time he was going to be interviewed by SI, ESPN, or some other paper/magazine and he would stay up late the night before and memorize long vocabulary words jsut to bamboozle the press and make them run for their dictionaries. Hilarious!

****e! I always wondered why in the world he was using such big, awkward words. I just figured he was trying to show off.

Flagstaffsooner
1/9/2010, 11:38 PM
Corso still talks better than Desmond Howard.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/10/2010, 01:21 AM

1. Spencer Tillman
2. Barry Switzer
3. Keith Jackson
4. Mike Leach

Throw in the Boz and it would be great!

Curly Bill
1/10/2010, 01:24 AM
Corso still talks better than Desmond Howard.

This.

Desmond Howard is just a plain ol dumas.

DeadSolidPerfect
1/10/2010, 09:37 AM
This.

Desmond Howard is just a plain ol dumas.

He sounds like Mushmouth from Fat Albert.

85sooners
1/10/2010, 11:20 AM
Throw in the Boz and it would be great!yeah!!

GottaHavePride
1/10/2010, 12:18 PM
IF gameday has to replace Corso (and I've actually come to like the guy) I think the replacement should be Bob Knight.

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 12:43 PM
I think if his speech gets worse and he's not able to continue to be a penis....they should give him a cowbell and a drumstick. One hit if he's for the helmet on the left and two hits if he's for the helmet on the right.

:D ;)

bluedogok
1/10/2010, 12:52 PM
If he doesn't improve I could see them maybe going to a "studio segment" that has been pre-recorded and edited to look like a "live" segment with Fowler, Herbie and Desmond at the desk. He has been the comic relief over the years on that show and it will be much different without him...maybe they could use Leach as a desk replacement next season.

pweitkem
1/11/2010, 10:13 AM

1. Spencer Tillman
2. Barry Switzer
3. Keith Jackson
4. Mike Leach
5. The Boz

Fixed.

Jacie
1/11/2010, 10:17 AM
...maybe they could use Leach as a desk replacement next season.

I can imagine Mike Leach's response to a football question taking off on a tangent or wandering into metaphysics.

the_ouskull
1/11/2010, 03:54 PM

1. Spencer Tillman
2. Barry Switzer
3. Keith Jackson
4. Mike Leach

Greatness, but I can top it.

1) Barry Switzer
2) Mike Leach
3) Jack Daniels, maybe two of him
4) NOT shot in HD

GO!

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
1/11/2010, 03:58 PM
If Corso is able to go....they should do it in 3D so he can walk right into your living room while he's putting a hat on. ;)

SoonerShark
1/11/2010, 05:05 PM

Be gracious. Lee is 74. Dick is 80. They walk a path we all may face.

StoopTroup
1/11/2010, 05:08 PM
Yellowbrick road?

ashley
1/11/2010, 08:29 PM
I like him a lot.