PDA

View Full Version : Aggie Free Zone: There is no "next year" here!

soonerboy_odanorth
1/8/2010, 02:24 AM
'Cause every year in Sooner-land is its own reward. Unlike the unwashed and slightly dazed aggie, we like the challenge of a new year; and furthermore, we can acknowlege and accept the challenges of the new year, with no expectation that "this will finally be the year".

We tend to live the moment. Thank God.

With that said... looking forward to 2010:

Offense...

QB: Landry did well this year. He had two disastrous stinkers. But otherwise... he got it done folks. He was 26 TD to 14 INT. You want to compare that to,... oh,... I dunno... the resurector QB of our program- Josh Huepel?

2000- Josh Huepel TD's passing- 20; INT's-14. He did also have 7 rushing touchdowns. But as a passing QB Landry is his equal at least. (Note: Yes, I know timing has a lot to do with whether those stats mean anything... that is you can throw five picks against Baylor and win and it doesn' hurt your team's season. But on the whole, the comparison has merit given Landry's youth.)

RB- DeMarco comes back and we are set. Calhoun and Miller showed ability and I think will be reliable when called upon.

TE- Ratteree is a surprise. He got his shot, and just kept getting better. Hannah has potential. Ikard and "the great unknown" 6'7" Lane Johnson are supposed to be potential difference makers. The two TE coming in are supposed to be loaded with the same.

WR- Looks like a solid starting three, but drop-off after that: Broyles SlotR, Dejuan WR, Jaz, WR. Caleb can contribute, and Kenney too if he has some work ethic. The rest of the incoming is a crap-shoot. Hopefully Stills is the real deal.

OL- I'll summarize by saying it can't get any worse, and we did OK by the end of the year. Brandon could have a great SR season. Good.. huge upside. Habern was good until hurt. Jones good until hurt. Jefferies good until hurt. Evans improving until hurt. These guys together could be a solid line in 4 or 5 games. But will they stay healthy? There is incoming talent, but will it be ready?

Defense-

DT- Please be ok Adrian. Man, he would've been AA. Walker, McFarland, and the newbies have to pull some weight. On the ups they all have shown flashes. With the recruiting this year we may be able to lean on some numbers, if not talent.

DE- No worries if Beal does not declare. Beast personafied. Alexander stud, King solid, Washington solid. McGee might rotate here if not at DT. Not a huge recruiting focus this year... will need to be next.

LB- We is big loaded in dis here. (Lewis please to not declare!) RLewis... teh Hammer! Box- solid. Wort- be back no doubt. Too many others to list that were RS and ready to get a shot. This may actually be our best overall depth on the team.

DB- Franks loss is sucky. But Nelson, Carter, and Proctor are a great S start to the DB backfield. Hurst is going to be fine at CB. We need one more pure CB to step up. But this is a fairly prominently recruited position this year and last. I believe there has to be one competent one out of the lot.

I want to see things as they are:

We will still be seeking a level of consistency on O next year due to the OL questions. But it appears to be on track to better things.

Defense will be only a hair down from this year if Adrian (he is a difference-maker) comes back 100%. The front 7 (with him) again appears formidable. The back 4 will be solid.

I think we will see 2-3 losses regular season next year. I think, being this is a young but talented team, the 2-3 losses will be against teams we didn't necessarily expect to lose to after beating some teams we didn't think we would. That is... we'll still be a relatively young rebuilding team looking for consistency.

But in all, next year is going to be an up, after what we went through this year.

Prediction:

BCS/Polls Finish: #8-15.
Record: 10-3. (1 OOC loss, 2 in Conf. losses, bowl win)
Cotton Bowl victory over SEC team (FL, TN, Aub, GA)

But that is just throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks. Bottom line I think next year is going to be a good/fun one.

Eielson
1/8/2010, 02:35 AM
Adrian Taylor was a solid player, but make no mistake, Beal and McCoy were the studs of that line.

yankee
1/8/2010, 02:45 AM
who, exactly, do you have us losing to in the big 12 next year?

October 2 -- Texas (i like our chances, but you never know)
October 9 -- Open
October 16 -- Iowa State (W)
October 23 -- at Missouri (potential trap game, but should be a W. it's gary pinkel we're talking about)
October 30 -- Colorado (W)
November 6 -- at Texas A&M (another potential trap game, but it's aggy)
November 13 -- Texas Tech (W...jumparound 2.0??)
November 20 -- at Baylor (W)
November 26/27 -- at Oklahoma St. (W)

that's what i see...

Crucifax Autumn
1/8/2010, 02:47 AM
Open's gonna kick the shat out of us.

yankee
1/8/2010, 02:50 AM
Open's gonna kick the shat out of us.

woops, i forgot to pencil that in as an "L".

Crucifax Autumn
1/8/2010, 02:50 AM
Quit ****in' up!