PDA

View Full Version : I'm loving the facebook status updates

soonerinkaty
1/8/2010, 01:00 AM
especially this one

"Dear Texas, Welcome to the OU season. And rest assured, if a single one of you use the "Colt was hurt" excuse, just know that if Sam wasnt injured, you would not have made it to that game. Much love."

SPuL
1/8/2010, 01:03 AM
HAHAH that's almost exactly what I said. I believe what happened to Texas was worse.

We at least knew our season was doomed early on. Here these Horns had hope for a title only to get it taken away at the last second.

but I don't know about you guys, but this Gilbert kid looks good. I mean, you have to cut him some slack. First start in the national championship against one of the best D's in the country?

and he still looked better than Landry I think

soonerinkaty
1/8/2010, 01:06 AM
Yeah he did look good. He will be more than formidable in the future. I kept thinking, "Well, Colt, looks like you may not be missed so much." Dammit.

SoonerMom2
1/8/2010, 01:09 AM
Gilbert also played this season where Landry had never played a down when he was called upon to come in the BYU game. What if Shipley had been hurt like Gresham. Big difference in who Gilbert had to throw to behind a seasoned offensive line and the fact Jones had a new offensive line over and over again and no All American tight end to pass to like a Shipley.

Unfair comparison. In the end Jones did really well and if we had a good field goal kicker, we wouldn't have lost some of those games.

SoonerMom2
1/8/2010, 01:10 AM
Yeah he did look good. He will be more than formidable in the future. I kept thinking, "Well, Colt, looks like you may not be missed so much." Dammit.

Colt will be missed but Gilbert may miss Shipley more!

tbl
1/8/2010, 01:16 AM
Shipley has been the MVP of that team for a while.

and lets not forget we lost Gresham too... and about 15 other guys.

Piware
1/8/2010, 03:42 AM
Gilbert was so scared he looked like he was gonna toss his cookies right there on the field. He settled down some but I don't think this could be much of a confidence builder. I thought they were gonna have to get VY out of his shades and gangsta duds to finish the game.

Jacie
1/8/2010, 07:05 AM
Musberger may think Gilby "grew up" last night, but if the UT biolobgy department is unable to grow a clone of Jordan Shipley between now and next season, he may just regress a little.

fossil
1/8/2010, 07:40 AM
HAHAH that's almost exactly what I said. I believe what happened to Texas was worse.

We at least knew our season was doomed early on. Here these Horns had hope for a title only to get it taken away at the last second.

but I don't know about you guys, but this Gilbert kid looks good. I mean, you have to cut him some slack. First start in the national championship against one of the best D's in the country?

and he still looked better than Landry I think

:rolleyes: You are kiddin', right? Looked better than Landry. At what, walking on and off the field? Landry is, in my opinion, light years ahead of him right now.

fossil
1/8/2010, 07:43 AM
Musberger may think Gilby "grew up" last night, but if the UT biolobgy department is unable to grow a clone of Jordan Shipley between now and next season, he may just regress a little.

:D Not to worry. There's always Malcolm (No Hands) Williams. He's more than adequate to replace Shipley. Ha.

TXBOOMER
1/8/2010, 08:15 AM
According to the whornfans that were over here posting, they beat us because Mack > Bob. Not because Sam got hurt. Most of them probably still believe that.

illinisooner
1/8/2010, 11:35 AM
Once again, Shipley saved the day (well, they still lost, but you get my point) for the Horns. This could have gotten ugly if he wasn't around for the grape to throw to in the second half. And you would have thought Bama watched tape enough to double Shipley and take away the short routes, but they didn't bother to do that. Take away Shipley (oh, that will be next season, finally) and Bama probably wins 31-6 or something and the grape has a 11-39 87 Yds 0 TD 2 INT line.

However, given that he will have an offseason to prepare as "the guy" and being given a trial by fire in the title game, he's going to improve quite a bit before the RRS. Obviously Texas is playing a typical non conf schedule so he won't be tested until Dallas (although, bizzarely, they travel to Lubbock the week before) and will have a few games to get some confidence under his belt. He better hope the Horns come up with a run game between now and then, otherwise, he's going to have a painful day at the Cotton Bowl.

OUthunder
1/8/2010, 11:43 AM
I for one am glad that Shipley has no eligibility left.

SoonerMom2
1/8/2010, 11:52 AM

You and me both. If Texas had lost Shipley before the season like we did Gresham, the UT year would have been much different even with McCoy.

OUthunder
1/8/2010, 11:54 AM
You and me both. If Texas had lost Shipley before the season like we did Gresham, the UT year would have been much different even with McCoy.

At least 2-4 losses without Shipley. Shipley is the white version of Broyles this year, lol.

goingoneight
1/8/2010, 01:05 PM
They cheated death all year long to Pasadena. They looked like a Paper Tiger at times benefitting off of a soft schedule ala Iowa. But come Championship time, Karma finally came full-circle. I'm talking of course for the arrogant fans and the media that kissed up to them. I, among many others see that game much differently with Colt in there. But it is what it is. That's what the "no excuses" crowd always tells us when ill fate take a shat on us.

Tejas prepared for a whole month with Cart. They played a whole season with him. He was a four-year starter... gone... just like that. To pull it within three was an accomplishment in itself.

Game-changing players change games even more dramatically when they're out of the game. Always has been, always will be that way.

budbarrybob
1/8/2010, 01:11 PM
:rolleyes: You are kiddin', right? Looked better than Landry. At what, walking on and off the field? Landry is, in my opinion, light years ahead of him right now.

^^This.

Seriously, you can't even compare them. LJ will have Gilbert eating out of his jock for the next 2-3 yrs

meoveryouxinfinity
1/8/2010, 01:16 PM
If Shipley> McCoy, then Broyles>Jones

SPuL
1/8/2010, 01:44 PM

It's called an opinion, bud. If one person's opinion gets you all riled up like a little girl, I don't think message boards are a good place for you. ;)

Second, no I'm not kidding. I'm not saying Landry sucks. I'm just saying I was more impressed by Gilbert's outing then I was in any of Landry's this year.

Regardless of how much Gilbert played, it was only mop up duties and he was never in to help the Longhorns win.

All of the BIG games Landrys played in (@ Miami, Texas, @ Nebraska) he made a lot of critical turnovers and looked unsure. Sure he gave valiant efforts, not taking anything away from him. I believe he will be good for us next year.

Then Gilbert, he comes in at the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. This is a game with the type of atmosphere that causes even SENIORS to crumble. He came in and looked the part of a scared freshman in the first half. Believe he was 1-10 for 2 ints. Mind you he was plagued with a lot of horrible drops. That shuffle pass was tipped, and that play-action pass right before his first INT that the WR couldn't hold onto in the endzone.

Then looking at a 6-24 deficit against one of the nations BEST defenses and the heisman winner, he rallies Texas back to 21-24 with the ball with under 4 mins left. I'm sorry, I'm a big Landry supporter, and I've backed him up this entire year, but no way do I see Landry doing that.

And you can make the arguement about shipley, but uhhmmm don't we have a guy by the name of Broyles who Landry relies on heavily as well?

Who knows, it could be more the playcalling. Where we basically showed NO Faith in Landry with some of our play calling early on, Texas had all the faith in Gilbert with their play-calling.

Either way, I'm just giving credit where credit is due. If you don't like that, try not to get your panties in a bunch, it's just my opinion. :)

Go Down, Moses
1/8/2010, 01:46 PM
Too early to tell about Gilbert, but I don't believe Landry is going to be the answer, long term, for the Sooners. I think Coach Stoops believes this, too, and that's why he went so hard after Cameron Newton.

Scott D
1/8/2010, 01:47 PM
I preferred my status of "wonders if the most pissed off person in Pasadena is John Chiles."

TopDawg
1/8/2010, 01:48 PM
That #84 worries me a little.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/8/2010, 01:55 PM
Too early to tell about Gilbert, but I don't believe Landry is going to be the answer, long term, for the Sooners. I think Coach Stoops believes this, too, and that's why he went so hard after Cameron Newton.
Long term? this is college football. You don't have "long term" answers. At BEST you get a kid for 4 playing years. Usually it's less. Usually guys get hurt, get beat out for the job, transfer, or just don't cut it.

Look at Tim Tebow, who is one of the best college players in a long time. Add to the fact that he wasn't predicted to go high in the draft, which made him stay until his senior year. Tim Tebow plays as a true freshman behind Chris Leak, "helping" them win a national championship. His sophomore year, his first year as a starter, they go 9-4 (5-3 SEC). His junior year, he goes 13–1 (7–1 SEC) winning an NC. His senior year, he goes 13–1 (8–0 SEC), losing the SEC championship and winning a BCS bowl.

That's the best case scenario. He's gone. Florida got 3 good years out of him, 1 national championship.

So what's my point? I really have no idea I just wanted to put some Tebow cam in this thread.

Stitch Face
1/8/2010, 02:14 PM
I thought this thread was going to have funny Facebook status updates :(

Stitch Face
1/8/2010, 02:20 PM
Seriously, I did. My wife occasionally mentions some of her OSU fan acquaintances on the innerweb who apparently post funny status update bravado before games like "got ribs and beer for the watch party tonight, cant wait to see OSU pound UO!!!" and then in later threads will say "I fell asleep and forgot to watch the game."

Really? You forgot you were hosting a watch party?

OUthunder
1/8/2010, 02:20 PM
Without Broyles and Shipley, Colt and Landry would have been in major trouble.

MyT Oklahoma
1/8/2010, 02:21 PM
Gilbert also played this season where Landry had never played a down when he was called upon to come in the BYU game. What if Shipley had been hurt like Gresham. Big difference in who Gilbert had to throw to behind a seasoned offensive line and the fact Jones had a new offensive line over and over again and no All American tight end to pass to like a Shipley.

Unfair comparison. In the end Jones did really well and if we had a good field goal kicker, we wouldn't have lost some of those games.

^^ This although I do think that Gilbert will be a formidable opponent in the years to come.

Jello Biafra
1/8/2010, 02:25 PM
That #84 worries me a little.

why? because hes fast? he isn't the first fast kid they've had, he won't be the last. we can handle him. i seem to remember a punt/kick returner that ends up killing everyone else before shipley started returning kicks and he did absolutely zip vs. us.

SPuL
1/8/2010, 02:28 PM
Long term? this is college football. You don't have "long term" answers. At BEST you get a kid for 4 playing years. Usually it's less. Usually guys get hurt, get beat out for the job, transfer, or just don't cut it.

Look at Tim Tebow, who is one of the best college players in a long time. Add to the fact that he wasn't predicted to go high in the draft, which made him stay until his senior year. Tim Tebow plays as a true freshman behind Chris Leak, "helping" them win a national championship. His sophomore year, his first year as a starter, they go 9-4 (5-3 SEC). His junior year, he goes 13–1 (7–1 SEC) winning an NC. His senior year, he goes 13–1 (8–0 SEC), losing the SEC championship and winning a BCS bowl.

That's the best case scenario. He's gone. Florida got 3 good years out of him, 1 national championship.

So what's my point? I really have no idea I just wanted to put some Tebow cam in this thread.

LOL :D

Piware
1/8/2010, 02:29 PM
Just a though .... Maybe Bob is thinking about what happens if Landry gets hurt.

BillyBall
1/8/2010, 02:32 PM

The last time I wanted a Horn gone this bad was Major Applewhite.

TopDawg
1/8/2010, 03:27 PM
why? because hes fast? he isn't the first fast kid they've had, he won't be the last. we can handle him. i seem to remember a punt/kick returner that ends up killing everyone else before shipley started returning kicks and he did absolutely zip vs. us.

Fast AND quick. He's shifty. All I'm saying is he worries me a little. I'm not going to sell my OU/Texas tickets just cuz they have him, but it looks to me like he's got some potential.

Jello Biafra
1/8/2010, 03:30 PM
Fast AND quick. He's shifty. All I'm saying is he worries me a little. I'm not going to sell my OU/Texas tickets just cuz they have him, but it looks to me like he's got some potential.

yeh i think so too....i know some people who work around the state fair...

see if we can't get some laxative in his food...or maybe gbh so sicem can partake.

humblesooner
1/8/2010, 04:53 PM

If you change your mind on the tix, call me at 1-800-I-Buy-Tickets.:D

TopDawg
1/8/2010, 04:58 PM
hahaha

josh09
1/8/2010, 05:48 PM
Heres a good one:

"hook THAT horns. how does it feel to lose a star QB? karma suuuuucks ahahahahahahha"

I laughed at that one :D

goingoneight
1/8/2010, 05:57 PM

Good thing nobody's paying you to think. We pick up JUCOs every year when we lose someone early (AKA Heisman winner Sam Bradford).

And please tell us why Landry... a freshman playing behind a poor line with average receivers, no running game and no threatening force at TE is not the future.

Maybe... just maybe... the battles for starting spots are around Landry, and not necessarily Landry himself.

goingoneight
1/8/2010, 06:02 PM
"Hurry up to Academy Sports and Outdoors right now to get your Limited Edition 2009 Texas National Champions hats, T-shirts and jackets! Limited time only, they'll never make these again!"

yankee
1/8/2010, 06:09 PM
sifted through some from last night...

"Whoever Gilbert's roomate is, they need to put him at receiver or Texas is screwed."

"Yay for living vicariously through a college I never went to!"

"If anything this shows why Colt McCoy deserved the Heisman."

"Corso just picked Texas, awesome. Roll Tide"

" awwwwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. the qb that just got bitched is gonna be the starter next year yeaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

theresonly1OU
1/8/2010, 10:11 PM
It's called an opinion, bud. If one person's opinion gets you all riled up like a little girl, I don't think message boards are a good place for you. ;)

Second, no I'm not kidding. I'm not saying Landry sucks. I'm just saying I was more impressed by Gilbert's outing then I was in any of Landry's this year.

Regardless of how much Gilbert played, it was only mop up duties and he was never in to help the Longhorns win.

All of the BIG games Landrys played in (@ Miami, Texas, @ Nebraska) he made a lot of critical turnovers and looked unsure. Sure he gave valiant efforts, not taking anything away from him. I believe he will be good for us next year.

Then Gilbert, he comes in at the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. This is a game with the type of atmosphere that causes even SENIORS to crumble. He came in and looked the part of a scared freshman in the first half. Believe he was 1-10 for 2 ints. Mind you he was plagued with a lot of horrible drops. That shuffle pass was tipped, and that play-action pass right before his first INT that the WR couldn't hold onto in the endzone.

Then looking at a 6-24 deficit against one of the nations BEST defenses and the heisman winner, he rallies Texas back to 21-24 with the ball with under 4 mins left. I'm sorry, I'm a big Landry supporter, and I've backed him up this entire year, but no way do I see Landry doing that.

And you can make the arguement about shipley, but uhhmmm don't we have a guy by the name of Broyles who Landry relies on heavily as well?

Who knows, it could be more the playcalling. Where we basically showed NO Faith in Landry with some of our play calling early on, Texas had all the faith in Gilbert with their play-calling.

Either way, I'm just giving credit where credit is due. If you don't like that, try not to get your panties in a bunch, it's just my opinion. :)

Well, let me be the first to say you couldn't be more wrong.

(in my opinion).

Landry Jones just threw for 418 yards on a D that dominated USC and Oregon.

Gilbert threw 3 picks and a few TD's and suddenly he's the man? Sure thing pal.

If Landry Jones played like he did this year for the Whorns, you and all the other haters would be quaking in your boots at the prospect of having to play him the next few years.

But since he plays for us, he gets shat on for not having the first name Sam.

Or the last name Bradford.

SPuL
1/9/2010, 12:47 AM
hahaha oh boy.

Well, let me be the first to say you couldn't be more wrong.

(in my opinion).

Landry Jones just threw for 418 yards on a D that dominated USC and Oregon.

USC and Oregon? Wait, is that supposed to mean something? Gilbert helped the Longhorns score 21 points against the NUMBER TWO ranked scoring defense in the nation who only allowed 11 ppg. Oh, not to mention it was his first REAL playing time and it was in the National championship. No biggie.

Gilbert threw 3 picks and a few TD's and suddenly he's the man? Sure thing pal.
Ok, first off, WHERE did I say he was the man? I said he looked IMPRESSIVE to me. That's my opinion. I never said "GILBERT FOR HEISMAN 2010".

Second, let's compare how Landry did against a similar defense. We'll use the Nebraska game. This was what? Landry's 6th or 7th start? He went 26-58 for not 3, FIVE interceptions and NO touchdowns.

Where as Gilbert down 24-6, in the second half, led the Longhorns to within 21-24.

Again FIND where I said he had a phenomenal game. All I said is for the situation Gilbert was thrown into he played impressively. And IN MY OPINION, I said I think he did a better job against a daunting defense then what Landry did. Nowhere did I say Landry sucks.

If Landry Jones played like he did this year for the Whorns, you and all the other haters would be quaking in your boots at the prospect of having to play him the next few years.
Please learn how to read before you go all Mack Brown on us, okay? I have supported Landry since the beginning, and still today. (I can bring up threads if you really wanted me too ;)). I've been saying constantly on forum that he did the best job he could for the situation he was thrown into and it will only make him a much better quarterback going forward. Please stop with your false accusations.

But since he plays for us, he gets shat on for not having the first name Sam.

Or the last name Bradford.

And I'm not saying Gilbert WILL be a better quarterback then Landry next year. It'd be stupid to make such a prediction based off ONE game. All I said was, the kid looked impressive and looks to have a bright future ahead of him. Then I mentioned that he looked to have more confidence then Landry did in pressure situations (i.e. down a big deficit in the second half.) compared to Landry's play his first few big games (@ miami, Texas, @ Nebraska).

As for Landry, he really made huge strides in the bowl game, and I think he will definitely be a very good quarterback for OU. He still makes some mistakes, but he has an entire offseason to work through them.

Stitch Face
1/9/2010, 12:53 AM
BORING