PDA

View Full Version : School is Cancelled Because it is Cold?!

jdsooner
1/7/2010, 06:26 PM
I cannot believe that schools in Oklahoma cancelled because it is cold. Back in the day, we never cancelled school because it was cold. It won't be long before school will be cancelled because it is too windy, partly cloudy, or too nice a day to be in school. Give me a break!

royalfan5
1/7/2010, 06:28 PM
How cold is it down there?

Collier11
1/7/2010, 06:30 PM
well the reason they cancelled OKC pub schools is because many of the kids walk 2+ miles to school on a daily basis, consider they would be walking at 7 in the morning or so, im sure it was a good decision.

olevetonahill
Prolly More to do with saving Money By not having to Heat em as warm for the students
Remember they aint got as Much money as Normal

Wonder what happened with all that Lotto Money the Schools were supposed to get

OUHOMER
only 22 but the wind makes below zero...
raising kids to be ********

fadada1
1/7/2010, 06:46 PM
well the reason they cancelled OKC pub schools is because many of the kids walk 2+ miles to school on a daily basis, consider they would be walking at 7 in the morning or so, im sure it was a good decision.
that's all BS. there hasn't been a kid that's walked to school in a decade. every SUV in town is out, on a daily basis, dropping timmy and suzy off. how bad has it gotten that they need signs in front of schools telling parents where to go when they drop their kids off???? THAT'S WHAT BUSES, BIKES, AND FEET ARE FOR!!!

:D

Soonrboy
1/7/2010, 11:30 PM
OKC isn't full of SUV and soccer moms, especially on the southside. In my buildling on Wed., there were 5 classrooms without heat. There's no learning going on when you have to double up classrooms for heat.

tulsaoilerfan
1/8/2010, 12:02 AM
I heard that the middle school here also has 5 current classrooms without heat; unreal isn't it?

sooneron
1/8/2010, 12:53 AM
pu$$ies

def_lazer_fc
1/8/2010, 01:15 AM
yeah, many schools are without heat. closing down is for the best. its a sad reality of what okc public schools are. i moved to moore public schools for a reason.

Soonrboy
1/8/2010, 01:17 AM
the reason I stayed in OKC was I didn't want to give up on those kids.

jdsooner
1/8/2010, 02:13 AM
the reason I stayed in OKC was I didn't want to give up on those kids.

God bless you for that. However, I don't think Putnam City Schools are without heat.

tommieharris91
1/8/2010, 02:39 AM

Prolly More to do with saving Money By not having to Heat em as warm for the students
Remember they aint got as Much money as Normal

Wonder what happened with all that Lotto Money the Schools were supposed to get

These. Ohh and they don't want the kiddos waiting in dangerously cold weather for an unheated bus.

misplaced_sooner
1/8/2010, 03:29 AM
Kids in North Dakota would be lol at this non-sense.

Closed b/c it is cold? Seriously!

Petro-Sooner
1/8/2010, 03:47 AM
Kids in North Dakota would be lol at this non-sense.

Closed b/c it is cold? Seriously!

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. Those up north are thinking..........REALLY??? Put a coat on and deal with it.

Frozen Sooner
1/8/2010, 03:58 AM
They shut down the whole state's schools and all government offices here both Thursday and Friday due to the "cold". Personally, I think they knew everyone was going to be worthless at work Thursday and was going to call in Friday, but longtime residents say this happens all the time.

I do know the elevator at my place is shorted out due to a burst pipe.

Chuck Bao
1/8/2010, 04:20 AM
That makes a lot of sense - heating one classroom vs. 25 separate homes. What at the parents supposed to do?

I remember having to ride my motorbike to school in 10 degrees weather because that would be the only way I could stay after school for basketball practice. I froze my *** off but I didn't complain. Kids today probably need to drink more fresh cows milk and eat more red meat.

olevetonahill
1/8/2010, 05:43 AM
Im Just sayin
It aint the Kids
Its the Money ;. Thats Why I want to know where the dayum LOTTO Money went
werent that posed to Kick azz fer the skoolz ?

Collier11
1/8/2010, 05:45 AM
Found this

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=11159249

olevetonahill
1/8/2010, 05:56 AM
Found this

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=11159249

So In Other words
Its a Big azzed LIE that made US hope the skools woild profit
Kinda Like this Global warming , the Health Bill ,
aw **** it :mad: :rolleyes: :eek:

Collier11
1/8/2010, 05:59 AM
all I know is I have no qualms about the Lottery, Oklahoma needed to get out of the stone ages one way or another and this is just one of the issues. I do remember though that the Lottery was presented to us as a solution and 1% sure doesnt sound like a solution to me

olevetonahill
1/8/2010, 06:01 AM
all I know is I have no qualms about the Lottery, Oklahoma needed to get out of the stone ages one way or another and this is just one of the issues. I do remember though that the Lottery was presented to us as a solution and 1% sure doesnt sound like a solution to me

Thats MY Point
I kinda DONT trust what the Idjits in our Gov. tell us ;)

Collier11
1/8/2010, 06:06 AM
sad but true

King Barry's Back
1/8/2010, 08:04 AM
I heard that the middle school here also has 5 current classrooms without heat; unreal isn't it?

oilerfan and me went to school together, getting out early in August because we didn't have any AC.

Now they don't have heat? What's up with that? How do you not have heat?

John Kochtoston
1/8/2010, 12:09 PM
I will say that when I lived in International Falls, Minn., they closed school for two days because of windchill/exposure concerns. Of course, the high temps those two days were in the -20 range, so windchill and frostbite were pretty legit concerns. I'm just pointing this out to show it does go on in places more used to the cold stuff.

stoopified
1/8/2010, 06:30 PM
They shut down the whole state's schools and all government offices here both Thursday and Friday due to the "cold". Personally, I think they knew everyone was going to be worthless at work Thursday and was going to call in Friday, but longtime residents say this happens all the time.

I do know the elevator at my place is shorted out due to a burst pipe.I don't know where you get the idea al state schools were closed.OKC schools closed and a handful of other ditricts but most HAD school.My son attends Northmoor and he had class.

One thing confuses me though; Edmond closed school Thursday because it was too cold and yet On Friday with COLDER temps,they HAD class.I'm almost 50 andI recall walking to school many times in frigidtemps and also waiting at bus-stops.I think there has to be more to the story.

Frozen Sooner
1/8/2010, 06:35 PM
I don't know where you get the idea al state schools were closed.OKC schools closed and a handful of other ditricts but most HAD school.My son attends Northmoor and he had class.

One thing confuses me though; Edmond closed school Thursday because it was too cold and yet On Friday with COLDER temps,they HAD class.I'm almost 50 andI recall walking to school many times in frigidtemps and also waiting at bus-stops.I think there has to be more to the story.

I got the idea from the Birmingham news stations, which report on school closures in Alabama. Strangely, they leave out Northmoore.

Viking Kitten
1/8/2010, 07:11 PM
There was a bit of precipitation in and around Edmond Wednesday night, I think that lead to some concern that the roads would be hazardous Thursday morning and that is why Edmond closed Thursday. My kids were so p.o.'d they had to go back to school today. Hee hee.

OUstud
1/8/2010, 08:18 PM
Kids today probably need to drink more

I agree. ;)

BajaOklahoma
1/8/2010, 10:37 PM
A friend who used to work with us is a KN teacher in Bozeman, MT. If they have school, they go out for recess.
Thursday, it -4 degrees on the way to school - the windchill was -15 or so. Of course, these kids actually dress appropriately for cold weather.

BillyBall
1/9/2010, 11:13 AM
I will say that when I lived in International Falls, Minn., they closed school for two days because of windchill/exposure concerns. Of course, the high temps those two days were in the -20 range, so windchill and frostbite were pretty legit concerns. I'm just pointing this out to show it does go on in places more used to the cold stuff.

They shut down schools here (Chicago) for a few days last year when we had a 6 day span where we didn't get above 0. It rarely happens but I can see their concerns, not only for the child's health, but for litigious reasons.

royalfan5
1/9/2010, 11:23 AM
Another reason we've had to shut down schools in Nebraska is widespread gelling of School buses.