PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS CAPEL DOING NOW?!?!

badger
1/7/2010, 05:39 PM
Team banned from the locker room.

No OU gear allowed? Dress somewhere other than the locker room?!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100107_92_0_NORMAN407680)

Apparently Capel is not dressing in OU gear either. This is a very interesting turn of events.

John Kochtoston
1/7/2010, 05:42 PM
According to the story, this happened post-Gonzaga. Maybe that's why OU pounded UMES. Or, maybe, UMES just sucks.

badger
1/7/2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah, just read that and changed my original post. I am just amazed that Capel is going this route. It will be interesting to see how long this keeps up... or an even better story, if Joe Castiglione gives the team special jerseys for games that have no OU logos, no "Sooners" or no "Oklahoma" anywhere on them to fulfill Capel's demands totally... that would be like retro-retro-retro jerseys... and that might really get to them, heh.

thesnowbishop
1/7/2010, 05:46 PM
Coach just gave an interview on the animal. Great interview. I think he's playing jedi mind tricks on this team. He also talked about Tech/leach with a bit about his own thoughts on transferring at Duke. Good story about what his own dad had to say when he was struggling.

badger
1/7/2010, 05:50 PM
Snow - Can you give more details on what he said? Why did he want to transfer? What did his dad say to him?

thesnowbishop
1/7/2010, 06:02 PM
I think they were undefeated at the time, but Capel thought Coach K was coming down on him too hard. He said he talked to Mama first, but hinted that Dad had caught wind of his complaints. Dad said in no uncertain terms that is sounded like he was being an Adam James.

I didn't catch the first part of the interview, but from what I heard, if I had a son of D1 talent, Coach Capel would be a great guide. He also talked about the void of leadership--Omar and Taylor and Austin (and Blake) are greatly missed.

jdsooner
1/7/2010, 06:31 PM
His dad took him to lunch, told him to shut up and play, then got up and left him to pay the bill and find a ride back to school. Classic!

Capel also talked about premier athletes getting their butts kissed too much. He said that it is difficult for them to learn how to work hard and play hard. He said that the team is immature and that there is no vocal leader. Tony Crocker is a leader, but he doesn't say a lot.

It was an incredible interview and left me very impressed with him. One of my resolutions is to be a better fan that is more reluctant to criticize coaches. I think that coaches have it really hard right now as they try to get effort out of spoiled athletes.

Collier11
1/7/2010, 06:32 PM
I think Capel is proving a point, one of two things will happen

1) The players will get the message, take it seriously, and get their heads out of their arses

2) Some of the players will see it as nothing more than a motivational ploy, therefore not taking it seriously. In this case, that should lead to outcome #3

3) Suspended indefinitely or given the chance to transfer

Eielson
1/7/2010, 07:42 PM
This is fairly common. I've never heard of the getting new jerseys, but kicking a team out of their locker room and ever taking their practice gear happens fairly often when a coach gets pissed off enough. Pitino did this last year I believe.

Salt City Sooner
1/7/2010, 07:48 PM
Linky:

http://podcasting.fia.net/6779/4128387.mp3

okienole3
1/7/2010, 08:42 PM
I heard him on with James Hale saying some of the same things. Sounds like he is making the rounds.

OUbasketball4life
1/7/2010, 09:14 PM
I love the idea! Players have not been playing well so the nice locker room is off limits till they deserve it. It's a mind ploy but I feel a lot of players are feeling self entitlement and they have been playing soft a lil tough love will not kill them! Hell give them target jerseys instead of practice gear! Bring back the practice shorts that say defense on the butt. If a players not playing defense give them some bright pink cheer shorts.

Gotta question for u guys... Do u feel that coach Capel needs to bring in a OK kid? Not a team but just 1 at least. Sometimes I think the OK kid might put a lil more pride in their play for OU (not putting down the other kids by any means). Thoughts? Once again I'm no coach that's for sure just a fan so I respect critisim and opinions

starrca23
1/7/2010, 09:39 PM
That would be Cade Davis...couldn't get Henry or Orton or Clarke...

Boomer.....
1/8/2010, 10:19 AM
I think it is a good move on his part. From the quotes, WW knows that there is a problem with the team and it needs to be fixed. He doesn't seem to blame anyone but the players and hopefully they feel the same way. This should spark something in the team.

badger
1/8/2010, 11:18 AM
Here is NewsOK's version.

Link (http://newsok.com/jeff-capel-kicks-ou-basketball-team-out-of-locker-room/article/3430439?custom_click=headlines_widget)

Apparently, they're required by the Nike contract to wear Nike stuff during practice and interviews and all team-sanctioned events.

soonervegas
1/8/2010, 01:47 PM
If this team could get some traction they still have a shot. They need toughness and confidence. Going 2-1 over the next 3 could give us that lift....

at Baylor
OSU
Mizzou

Bourbon St Sooner
1/8/2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah, just read that and changed my original post. I am just amazed that Capel is going this route. It will be interesting to see how long this keeps up... or an even better story, if Joe Castiglione gives the team special jerseys for games that have no OU logos, no "Sooners" or no "Oklahoma" anywhere on them to fulfill Capel's demands totally... that would be like retro-retro-retro jerseys... and that might really get to them, heh.

Heh. He should go retro and make them wear the short shorts.

boomersooner28
1/8/2010, 04:17 PM
Capel can do whatever he wants. He's a winner. This team is young, immature, mentally weak, and spoiled. He is trying to get them motivated.

Eielson
1/8/2010, 05:37 PM
I always love hearing Capel talk about the team.

the_ouskull
1/8/2010, 06:28 PM
I'm floored by this.

...not in a bad way, either, you negative Nancy's. I'm proud to be a Sooner with this news coming out. And the "leaving him to pay the ball and find his own way home" thing is pure greatness, too.

If the kids don't get the point, or don't want to, f 'em. They don't want to be Sooners, they want to be pros. We're not the D-league, we're OU. Play hard, or play for someone else.

I'll say it again, I LOVE this. Whether or not it "works," the message is sent. If these players aren't capable of "getting" the message, I'll bet the next group will be.

the_ouskull

SicEmBaylor
1/8/2010, 09:33 PM
This is just stupid.

the_ouskull
1/8/2010, 10:06 PM
Your face is stupid.

Eielson
1/8/2010, 10:31 PM
This is just stupid.

If it's "just stupid", then why are many of the greatest minds in basketball doing it?

the_ouskull
1/8/2010, 11:41 PM
If it's "just stupid", then why are many of the greatest minds in basketball doing it?

Yeah! Like Jeff Capel, and... others...

the_ouskull

Eielson
1/9/2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah! Like Jeff Capel, and... others...

the_ouskull

Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Pat Summit.

SoonerGrant
1/9/2010, 12:45 AM
I was starting to doubt Capel, but I really like this move. I hope this has a big impact on the team.

Eielson
1/9/2010, 01:08 AM
Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Pat Summit.

I could have sworn that Pitino had done it, but I can't find anything saying that he did. I'm still thinking he might have done it, but I just can't validate it.

However, we can add Bob Huggins and Billy Donovan to the list. Vivian Stringer also did it. I don't know much about her, but she did lead her nappy head hos to that National Championship Game.

Collier11
1/9/2010, 01:14 AM
I have heard of several coaches doing it over the last several yrs

tulsaoilerfan
1/9/2010, 02:05 AM
Hell i'm surprised some parent hasn't tried to get him fired over this

the_ouskull
1/9/2010, 02:38 AM
Crap, I can hear it now.

"If my boy wanted to wear that practice jersey, he'd have signed with No-Name College, not OU, durka durka."

the_ouskull

Post Script -- Eielson, I was just giving you crap for saying that, but not backing it up in the same post. I know that this isn't an uncommon practice, although you may want to be careful using Huggy Bear as a selling point. Has he had a player graduate yet?

(And yes, I also hate the way that the NCAA computes their graduation rates, but Huggins seems particularly guilty here...)

the_ouskull

soonerbub
1/9/2010, 02:46 AM
This makes me very happy. The only trouble I see is if the guys just accept it and say "OK, we'll just stay in D-block all year." Pride has definitely not been a strength of the Sooners this year.

I'm sticking with 6-10 in conf play though.

If anything I really hope that this changes Capel's recruiting philosophy forever. I tend to think that it has.

Hotrod3157
1/9/2010, 10:44 AM
I love that he is trying this too. The team at least acted like they cared a little more in the Eastern Shore game so we'll see if this works out. I also love that Capel isn't pulling any punches when talking about the team.

StoopTroup
1/9/2010, 01:36 PM
BAN BAYLOR FROM THE BIG XII!

31 IN A ROW BABAY!

:D

Eielson
1/9/2010, 02:30 PM
Post Script -- Eielson, I was just giving you crap for saying that, but not backing it up in the same post. I know that this isn't an uncommon practice, although you may want to be careful using Huggy Bear as a selling point. Has he had a player graduate yet?

Even though nobody is fond of the guy, he's definitely a winner. He's won wherever he has gone. To back this up, he went 399-127 at Cincinnati with 14 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances (winning at least a game in 13 of them). Then he went to Kansas State. He should have been in the NCAA tournament again (which was a big deal for KSU/would've been first time since 1996), but he got screwed and missed the NCAA Tournament despite a 10-6 record in league play and a 22-11 record overall. He set them up to win their first NCAA tournament since 1987, although we can't give him full credit because while Beasley would've played for Huggins, he was not the reason Beasley went there. Then he went on to WVU, went to NCAA tournaments both years (although he could not beat the mighty Blake Griffin) and has his team in the top 10 this year. So basically he should be well on his way to his 18th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance which includes three different teams, however he was involved in one of the worst recent NCAA Tournament snubs.

Does this please you Skull?

SoonerObsession
1/9/2010, 04:05 PM
Remember, Bob Stoops had the football teams names removed a few years ago for the same lack of effort. They started playing better too.

badger
1/9/2010, 04:47 PM
btw, the men are on at 5 p.m. today (at Baaaay-lore). I am not sure what channel it is where all of you are, but here in Tulsa, it is on the CW - cable channel 12.

For you wimmens ball fans like me, the women are on now - cable channel 3 here in Tulsa. For once, the wimmens blog will have an entry from actually watching the game, and not looking at wire stories and box scores! Maybe this will explain why they can't get to the line as much as they used to (and make free throws once they get there), turnover the ball... not as much as years past, but a little, and such.

To make it relevant to the current thread kinda, I see the same gun-shy tendency in the women's team that I've seen in the men this season. Right now, OU leads Tech 41-37. Boomer!

Eielson
1/9/2010, 06:35 PM
I absolutely LOVE what I'm seeing from Tiny. Capel has definitely lit a fire under him.

He even took a charge! Unfortunately that was called a block and was his second foul. Game has gone downhill since he went out.

Eielson
1/9/2010, 06:42 PM
14-0 run for Baylor starting with gallon's second foul. Went from up 20-11 to down 25-20.

Eielson
1/9/2010, 06:45 PM
I missed the start of the game, but aparently warren didn't start. TMG hasn't gotten either. Apparently operation "Anti-Kiss-Butt" has started for WW and is still going for TMG.

SoonerGrant
1/9/2010, 06:56 PM
22-4 run.

Collier11
1/9/2010, 07:13 PM
We have become what Baylor has always been under Drew. Undisciplined, score alot of points but take bad shots and play no D, have no identity...it is really sad. Im not sure what Capel can do at this point

OUstud
1/9/2010, 07:14 PM
This thread title has become appropriate.

Eielson
1/9/2010, 07:18 PM
We have become what Baylor has always been under Drew. Undisciplined, score alot of points but take bad shots and play no D, have no identity...it is really sad. Im not sure what Capel can do at this point

Score a lot of points? 26 ain't a lot.

Collier11
1/9/2010, 07:24 PM
Just saying, all yr we have scored a ton but we cant defend a lick. Warren has turned into a scrub, we just look lost

Eielson
1/9/2010, 07:24 PM
So in review, we start half well: hitting shots, playing D, and Gallon being the guy we hoped for. Then Gallon gets his second foul, and everything fell apart. Defensive intensity fell off, shooting went to crap, and we had no effective post play.

Eielson
1/9/2010, 07:36 PM
I just can't figure out Warren.

Eielson
1/9/2010, 08:12 PM
If Gallon is going to hustle like he did today we really need to try and get him the ball on every possession. He just went 7-12 with 20 points against one of the top two or three post defenders in this league.

soon3rfan
1/9/2010, 08:12 PM
At least we have the Thunder now!

I Am Right
1/9/2010, 08:22 PM
This loss against Baylor was not Capels fault. Just a bunch of spoiled entitled no hustle players, except Davis and Crocker. Let the rest wear their street clothes and sit on the bench.

Collier11
1/9/2010, 08:47 PM
This crap has been going on all year, Capel recruited these guys and he is ultimately responsible for how bad we are

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 12:59 AM
I recorded it and took a nap while it was on. I guess it will just upset me to watch it.

Eielson
1/10/2010, 01:47 PM
I recorded it and took a nap while it was on. I guess it will just upset me to watch it.

Watch up until Tiny gets his second foul on a questionable block/charge call.

janderson255
1/10/2010, 05:02 PM
When I was in high school I played on an AAU team (East Tennessee Bank Bucs 15&under) in NE Tennessee with some guys like Ron Mercer and Jerry Stackhouse. We also played a lot of guys that went to Oak Hill Academy too. I got to experience what it was like to try to build a team from people you have never met before. All the team could go on was the talent that each person had. There was hardly ever any "hard work" involved in practices. Each person was as good as their past history. I think that this is where the OU team is at. Some of the new players are thinking that their past will carry them to a good season and a pro career. What we have is a bunch of immature kids who are still living in the past. Leaders will emerge and games will be won when these guys can get over themselves. Capel is trying to hasten the process. We must be patient and let the "dough" rise. Boomer Sooner!

Breadburner
1/10/2010, 05:08 PM
I thought the creme rose and the dough rested.....

badger
1/14/2010, 03:03 PM
I repeat my thread title: WHAT IS CAPEL DOING NOW?!?!

It seems just yesterday that Capel took away the locker room and OU logo from the team... he is already giving it back. (http://newsok.com/ou-mens-basketball-team-returns-to-locker-room/article/3432036?custom_click=headlines_widget)
Not that I mind beating OSU. I rather enjoyed it, actually. However, there's no way that game should have gone into OT. Bobby Knight was pointing out numerous times when shot selection was questionable and defense didn't help when it needed to... and free throws. FREE THROWS! Oh boy. Think Capel jumped the gun too soon?

NormanPride
1/14/2010, 03:41 PM
There's a point where yelling at them and making them run stops working. When bench time just leads to pouting and even worse chemistry. When you win a rivalry game, it's time for a couple pats on the back. Not a ton, but some praise after being dogged for so long can go a long way.

Collier11
1/14/2010, 03:47 PM
If they beat Mizzou on saturday give them their hoes back

badger
1/14/2010, 04:03 PM
If they beat Mizzou on saturday give them their hoes back

Agreed. The garden hoes and the garden hose will be essential to restoring Molly Shi's garden in time for spring.

the_ouskull
1/14/2010, 04:27 PM
At least Cade Davis had the right idea...

No, I don't think that, win or otherwise, they should have gotten the locker room back yet. They don't deserve it. Willie tried, and failed miserably, to hit an "f you" shot near the end, an ill-advised three to say the least, clanked it, and then OSU sent the game into overtime.

- Poor shot selection.
- Me first attitude.
- Poor game management.

And let's not even START on the free throw shooting. Seriously...

I'd make 'em dress at Norman High and run to practice after the OSU game. I mean, yeah, I'm glad we won. A win, is a win, is a win. But, I'd rather lose a game and see the players start to "get it" than to reward them for a game in which our opponent wanted the "L" on their record just a littttle bit more than we did...

the_ouskull

NormanPride
1/14/2010, 04:56 PM
If putting the game into overtime with 3 seconds left means OSU wasn't hustling, I don't know what to say about your ideas of what "true" effort on the court is.

Eielson
1/14/2010, 04:57 PM
Hasn't it been over two weeks? That's plenty long. If they havent gotten the picture yet they never will. The effect wears off the longer it goes.