PDA

View Full Version : OU notes of interest from a disappointing season

Collier11
1/7/2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/01_sooner_football_notebook.html

• Landry Jones broke Sam Bradford's Oklahoma record for passing yards by a freshman. With 418 yards in the Sun Bowl, Jones moved to 3,198 to eclipse Bradford's total of 3,121. Jones also led the nation's freshmen in touchdown passes (26) and passing yards this season.

• Oklahoma's defense played eight of the top 50 teams in both scoring and total offense, yet ranked No. 7 nationally in scoring defense and No. 8 in total defense.

• Freshman punter Tress Way ranked No. 3 nationally in punting average at 45.7 yards. That's the second-highest averaging in school history, the best among punters with at least 35 attempts. OU opponents had just 30 net yards on 17 punt returns.

• Over its last two games, both wins over ranked opponents, Oklahoma's defense held its opponents to a combined 1-of-26 on third down.

Collier11
1/7/2010, 04:05 PM
Bob Stoops is now 117-29 overall

36-16 vs ranked opponents

sooneron
1/7/2010, 04:05 PM
Landry's numbers for yardage are even better as he did not play in the Big 12 champ game. Sam had one more game. Not sunshine pumping, but putting it out there...

Boomer Mooner
1/7/2010, 04:06 PM
Great thread! I barely came over here during the season for all the whining.

Collier11
1/7/2010, 04:06 PM
Stoops is 78-17 in Big 12 play including 6-1 in Conf champ games...unreal!

SunnySooner
1/7/2010, 04:07 PM
The future is bright, bound to have a year like this one every now and then, especially when the 1st stringers are watching the game from their hospital beds in the ICU. Plenty to build on, defense especially should be a lot of fun to watch next year, some hard hitters coming back. I may be developing an unhealthy obsession with Ronnell. I'll try to control myself.:D

Collier11
1/7/2010, 04:10 PM
Landry is now #7 all time at OU in career passing yardage, #6 in career Td passes. He has the 6th highest single season passing yardage and the 6th highest single season Td passes

Collier11
1/7/2010, 04:13 PM
Ryan Broyles had the 2nd most receiving yards in a single season and the most catches in a single season for OU. He tied Mark Clayton for the most Tds in a single season with 15.

Broyles is now #6 in career receiving yards at OU and tied for 7th in career receptions at OU

Collier11
1/7/2010, 04:16 PM
Demarco is now #12 in career rushing yds at OU and moving up if he comes back. He is also #10 in career rushing Tds.

goingoneight
1/7/2010, 04:24 PM
FIRE BOB STOOPS!!!

BENCH LANDRY JONES!!!

WE'RE TERRIBLE!!!

soonerinabilene
1/7/2010, 04:27 PM
our trainers got more hands on experience than the last 4 years combined.

JLEW1818
1/7/2010, 04:29 PM
FIRE BOB STOOPS!!!

BENCH LANDRY JONES!!!

WE'RE TERRIBLE!!!

took the words right outta my mouth

sooneron
1/7/2010, 04:42 PM
FIRE VULNERABLES!!!! [hairGel]

Bourbon St Sooner
1/7/2010, 04:43 PM
• Landry Jones broke Sam Bradford's Oklahoma record for passing yards by a freshman. With 418 yards in the Sun Bowl, Jones moved to 3,198 to eclipse Bradford's total of 3,121. Jones also led the nation's freshmen in touchdown passes (26) and passing yards this season.

I hope 04 doesn't click on this thread.

ocsooner
1/7/2010, 04:52 PM
Landry's numbers for yardage are even better as he did not play in the Big 12 champ game. Sam had one more game. Not sunshine pumping, but putting it out there...

I feel all brighter inside now.

Seriously, those are some major bright spots.

fadada1
1/7/2010, 04:55 PM
Landry is now #7 all time at OU in career passing yardage, #6 in career Td passes. He has the 6th highest single season passing yardage and the 6th highest single season Td passes

while that is fantastic (and it really is), we've only been passing at OU for 11 seasons. still, very nice.
:D

pappy
1/7/2010, 05:05 PM

and bradford played the entire baylor game and the first half of the byu game...so landry has more yards in 2 1/2 less games.

Collier11
1/7/2010, 05:10 PM
and bradford played the entire baylor game and the first half of the byu game...so landry has more yards in 2 1/2 less games and with an OL and WR group that was half as good.

Fixed

JLEW1818
1/7/2010, 05:14 PM
biggest question mark is play action.... very broad tho...

you have to be able to run to use play action....

so you have to be able to run block

that opens up the run

which opens up the play action

which opens up the long ball

see 2008 Sooner offense

Widescreen
1/7/2010, 05:17 PM

Hello 2007's running game. In 2009 we pretty much had to get it done through the air because we couldn't run. In 2007, we ran for 743 more yards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Landry and Ima let you finish but...

;)

Collier11
1/7/2010, 05:44 PM
That actually says alot more about what Landry did considering we couldnt run the ball much at all.

For the record we threw the ball 519 times and ran the ball 485 times, really not a huge diff, basically a difference of 3 attempts per game

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2010, 05:46 PM
I hope 04 doesn't click on this thread.

I pretty much hope that on every thread...

huskerland
1/7/2010, 07:08 PM
Demarco is now #12 in career rushing yds at OU and moving up if he comes back. He is also #10 in career rushing Tds. I sure hope Demarco returns. He is one of the exciting RB's in the conference. I don't think he has reached his potential yet.

budbarrybob
1/7/2010, 07:23 PM
while that is fantastic (and it really is), we've only been passing at OU for 11 seasons. still, very nice.

and since we've been passing 3 of 7 QB's have been to the Down Town Athletic Club, 2 walked away with some kind of statue - not too shabby.

soonerspudman
1/8/2010, 10:46 AM
Yea, sometimes you gotta wander in the desert a bit. This will be a hungry football program next year.

the_ouskull
1/8/2010, 11:41 AM
Great thread! I barely came over here during the season for all the whining.

If a restaurant screws up your order and you ask them to fix it, are you "whining?"

the_ouskull

Collier11
1/8/2010, 11:57 AM
Depends, is the restaurants 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string cooks out of duty due to injury while the kitchen manager is also out?

SoonerAtKU
1/8/2010, 12:26 PM
If a restaurant screws up your order and you ask them to fix it, are you "whining?"

the_ouskull

Sometimes. Depends on how you define "screws up". If you expected filet mignon after the waiter told you they were out of it, I'd say that's on you, not the kitchen.

Also, if the chef was responsible for cooking the best meal you've ever eaten just last week, would you then assume that chef forgot how to cook if he had to prepare your meal with microwave dinners and a hotplate?

goingoneight
1/8/2010, 12:39 PM

the_ouskull

If Al Quaeda bombs the restaurant and you're still bitching that your soup doesn't have enough salt, are you whining?

goingoneight
1/8/2010, 12:41 PM
That restaurant analogy worked real good, didn't it? :D

NormanPride
1/8/2010, 12:43 PM

the_ouskull

If the combined forces of the Hulk, Superman, and Wonder Woman beat up the head cook while Lex Luthor steals 40 pies (and that's terrible) from the saucier, and the baker comes down with a bad case of Green Lantern's Giant Green Fist, all while the restaurant is being eaten by that huge guy from the Tick that ate the moon, are you still whining?

SoonerAtKU
1/8/2010, 12:56 PM
If the combined forces of the Hulk, Superman, and Wonder Woman beat up the head cook while Lex Luthor steals 40 pies (and that's terrible) from the saucier, and the baker comes down with a bad case of Green Lantern's Giant Green Fist, all while the restaurant is being eaten by that huge guy from the Tick that ate the moon, are you still whining?

I sure would be. DC/Marvel crossovers are universally TERRIBLE.