PDA

View Full Version : Does a Texas win REALLY hurt OU?

Crimsontothecore
1/7/2010, 11:31 AM
I keep hearing people say that a Texas win tonight is bad for OU recruiting. On the surface that sounds like a valid argument but I'm not buying it for the following reasons:
1. Texas, with a few exceptions, gets the best players out of their state regardless of whether they are winning titles or not.

2. OU won a national title and beat Texas 5 years straight but that success didn't destroy Texas recruiting in the least.

3. With scholly limits, no school can take all the good players.

Lastly, As time passes I put less and less stock in recruiting rankings. It has been proven time and again to be inexact at best. Lots of guys boasting 5-star rankings either bust or get overshadowed by the Sam Bradfords of the world.
I'm not saying raw talent isn't important but I do believe real success comes from good coaching, hard work, and hungry players.

What's your opinion? Do you really think the sky will fall on OU recruiting if UT wins tonight?

SoonerTank
1/7/2010, 11:36 AM
I think you are right. I do not think it hurts us recruiting, it is the fans that make it so unbearable to me.

cdlbdd
1/7/2010, 11:40 AM
Does it help OU?

SoonerinSouthlake
1/7/2010, 11:43 AM
The sky will fall because I live in Texas and have many whorn friends. And there is nothing worse than seeing even MORE burnt orange clothing, and window stickers. Seeing Whorns celebrate is the worst vision ever

From the recruiting standpoint though, I would agree. All things being equal, the we will still get our share of great players...they will still get their share regardless of a National Championship.

Im sure it tilts the scale for some kids and may only take one really special athelete to make a huge difference for a team. For instance, and Im not 100 % sure on these facts, but wasnt AD leaning towards whorns early in his recruitment process? Was he committed to us before we destroyed UT in the RRS and went on to play for MNC in Sugar Bowl? Had he gone to UT and played with Vince Young that may have been brutal for us

Not sure if thats the best example, but it could be the case for other kids who are on the fence.

No matter what though, we dont want the Whorns having another trophy. If nothing else, its nice to have such significant scoreboard on them when it comes to Championships

Roll Tide!

soonervegas
1/7/2010, 11:44 AM
There is not one shred of evidence that UT winning hurts OU. Other than Al Eschbach's wailing that it does....

Texas had and always will get 99% of the pick of the litter in their state. We can do just as well with players 25-50 (complemented with Okie talent).

Does Florida winning hurt LSU or vice versa? Doesn't seem to have and they go head to head on a lot of recruits.

madillsoonerfan5353
1/7/2010, 11:44 AM
I think all schools need to look for the guys that come and play as fros. Jmo the Bradfords and McCoys of the world are hard to find! Kids just want to go to next level! I dont blame them its alot of money! Just my 1 1/2 cents! :confused:

SoonerTank
1/7/2010, 11:45 AM
Does it help OU?

Good point. Never thought of it that way.

MR2-Sooner86
1/7/2010, 11:46 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but Adrian Peterson picked us because of the 5 game streak and the national championship.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/7/2010, 12:00 PM
The sky will fall because I live in Texas and have many whorn friends. And there is nothing worse than seeing even MORE burnt orange clothing, and window stickers. Seeing Whorns celebrate is the worst vision ever

From the recruiting standpoint though, I would agree. All things being equal, the we will still get our share of great players...they will still get their share regardless of a National Championship.

Im sure it tilts the scale for some kids and may only take one really special athelete to make a huge difference for a team. For instance, and Im not 100 % sure on these facts, but wasnt AD leaning towards whorns early in his recruitment process? Was he committed to us before we destroyed UT in the RRS and went on to play for MNC in Sugar Bowl? Had he gone to UT and played with Vince Young that may have been brutal for us

Not sure if thats the best example, but it could be the case for other kids who are on the fence.

No matter what though, we dont want the Whorns having another trophy. If nothing else, its nice to have such significant scoreboard on them when it comes to Championships

Roll Tide!Duh!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/7/2010, 12:02 PM
Why would a Sooner Fan want our biggest rival to win championships?

S008NER
1/7/2010, 12:03 PM

For those of us that have to live/work in Texas and have an intense hatred of orange, it was pure hell the last time they won.

Crimsontothecore
1/7/2010, 12:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but Adrian Peterson picked us because of the 5 game streak and the national championship.

And your point is? How many titles did we win because of him? I do seem to remember a 55-19 thrashing with him in the backfield.
Before everyone pounces on me, I'm just saying that landing the Petersons of the world isn't the key to success IN MY OPINION.
The 2000 squad didn't have a Peterson but it had guys who were hungry and worked hard. Where would Griffin and Heupel fall on the depth charts of the last 7 years?

I can agree that a UT win might result in them getting a few 5-star all world guys in recruiting but to assume those guys are what it takes to put together a championship squad is another argument.

Crimsontothecore
1/7/2010, 12:10 PM
Why would a Sooner Fan want our biggest rival to win championships?

I didn't say I wanted Texas to win. If I had the power they would lose by 100 tonight but since we have no control over the outcome I just wondered how many people here will act like OU football will end with a UT win tonight.

soonervegas
1/7/2010, 12:11 PM
and let's not confuse the post....the question is "Does a win really hurt OU?" not "Are you rooting for Texas tonight?"

Edit: CTC beat me to it.

RedstickSooner
1/7/2010, 12:11 PM
The King said that recruiting was the most important aspect to college football.

Argue with The King if you will. I won't. A Texas win hurts us. Period.

BigTip
1/7/2010, 12:14 PM
The only way it hurts if there is a kid out there that wants to go to the school that he perceives as having the best chance of playing in a National champion game. But looking at the last few years, who actually HAS had the most appearances? So that's not a deal killer for anyone that OU is recruiting.

I still think you pull for your conference. Then you can say you beat last year's National Champion next October. Or you can say that you only lost by three points to the National champion. I'm so sick of hearing how "strong" the SEC is too. If Bama wins, that will only add full to that fire.

Another factor is how many total championships Bama and Texas have, compared to OU. You want OU to have the most of anybody. We have more than Texas, but I think, less than Alabama. I don't want Alabama to stretch that lead.

So, (in a disinterested, less than enthusiastic voice) "go texas" (sigh).

SoonerTank
1/7/2010, 12:18 PM
The King said that recruiting was the most important aspect to college football.

If the king said it, I believe it!

olevetonahill
1/7/2010, 12:18 PM
Dont Know , Dont Care, I Do Know that a saxet Loss will Make Me Feel Like this .:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD96HQ_6w3M&feature=PlayList&p=203D1205C4CA8596&index=2

Sooner in Tampa
1/7/2010, 12:19 PM
^^^^ THIS

Crimsontothecore
1/7/2010, 12:22 PM

We were losing the recruiting battle on the majority of big time Texas talent while we were beating them 5 years in a row.
Just remember the king coached before scholarship limits. Texas has the same 85 scholly limit as everyone else. They simply can't have everyone that's a good player.
Also, Texas had won 8 out of 10 against OU prior to OU winning it all in 2000. We didn't win the NC in 2000 because we had been out-recruiting Texas.

soonervegas
1/7/2010, 12:22 PM
and you can always go with the last time Texas won two in a row (69 and 70) in comparison to us....we won the next 4 (74,75,85,00) ;)

wishbonesooner
1/7/2010, 12:24 PM
Do you really want to watch Texas celebrate winning a national championship?

badger
1/7/2010, 12:24 PM
I really don't care who wins tonight... but I will giggle heartily if Texas looks bad.

Bammers are good people. They will chant S-E-C! S-E-C-! a lot less than other teams in their conference, because of how awesome they are on their own :D

Texans are good people too... so long as you're not wearing OU gear. I'm sure they would say the same about OU fans... so long as they're not wearing their Texas gear.

As for what will and won't hurt OU, there's no way Texas can hurt us anymore than all of the injuries we sustained this year. Eff the injuries. Hope they go 0-12 next season.:mad:

Crimsontothecore
1/7/2010, 12:26 PM
The only way it hurts if there is a kid out there that wants to go to the school that he perceives as having the best chance of playing in a National champion game. But looking at the last few years, who actually HAS had the most appearances? So that's not a deal killer for anyone that OU is recruiting.

I still think you pull for your conference. Then you can say you beat last year's National Champion next October. Or you can say that you only lost by three points to the National champion. I'm so sick of hearing how "strong" the SEC is too. If Bama wins, that will only add full to that fire.

Another factor is how many total championships Bama and Texas have, compared to OU. You want OU to have the most of anybody. We have more than Texas, but I think, less than Alabama. I don't want Alabama to stretch that lead.

With all due respect, I've never bought into the conference pride theory. I cannot imagine any scenario where i would root for Texas to win...at ANYTHING! When they play osu I wish there were a way for them both to lose.

S008NER
1/7/2010, 12:30 PM

So you pefer texass close the gap? :confused:

Bama has 98 championships or so they say. ..So who care about them.

My Opinion Matters
1/7/2010, 12:31 PM
Is this thread for real? Would it hurt to watch your worst enemy nail your wife?

rainiersooner
1/7/2010, 12:39 PM
Dont Know , Dont Care, I Do Know that a saxet Loss will Make Me Feel Like this .:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD96HQ_6w3M&feature=PlayList&p=203D1205C4CA8596&index=2

That's kind of what I was thinking. Call me petty - but nothing will cap off this bummer of a season better for me than watching an epic meltdown and beating, to be followed by Mack Brown answering questions for his crestfallen boyfriends.

BigTip
1/7/2010, 01:00 PM
So you pefer texass close the gap? :confused:

Good point, but I'm not concerned about who's behind us though, I'm looking to overtake who's ahead.

To make it clear, this is not the first game I have ever watched where I wish both teams would lose.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/7/2010, 01:00 PM
Well the last time orange puke cow won an NC, we followed up by winning 3 straight Big 12 titles.

That said, ROLL TIDE!

Sooner in Tampa
1/7/2010, 01:13 PM
I don't give a **** what we are talking about, football, basketball, or life in general...I want uteras to SUCK...and SUCK BADLY!!!!!

Come to think of it...anybody who wears orange, I want to suck badly...on and off the field!

MyT Oklahoma
1/7/2010, 01:26 PM
It would hurt us more than help us any way that you look at it so I look forward to a good old fashioned beatdown tonight.

Roll Tide Roll.

ouwasp
1/7/2010, 01:50 PM
well, the 2009 season has been forget-able at best. But the football gods probably will smite us one more time with a tex win tonight.

I think valid points have already been made on the help/hurt debate...

But I say it is just flat not good.

TopDawg
1/7/2010, 02:03 PM
The only good reasons I know of to root for Texas are far outweighed by the fact that I hate Texas.

TXBOOMER
1/7/2010, 02:38 PM
If the king said it, I believe it!

Word!

RedstickSooner
1/7/2010, 02:40 PM
Okay, maybe we need a pros and cons list for a Tejas win.

pros:
1)With a loss, Bama would be hard-pressed to claim an NC this season.
2)We don't have to hear about how the SEC has won the last 437 national championships in a row.
3)Brings some glory to the Big XXII
4)With two national championships Tejas could actually start recruiting outside their state borders, which'd mean that their leftovers would be of a better quality. Which would benefit us. But, man, is this a hard ray of sunshine for me to tan in, am I right?

cons:
1)Turd McHappyclap would finally have a concrete leg up on Stoops in the trophy department for something other than effort or good sportsmanship.
2)Our arch enemy would win a game.
2b)A game that *mattered*.
3)The kinds of recruits we want are recruits that want to win championships -- and if you're a recruit that wants to win championships, where do you go? The place that's 1-4 in the Big Dance, or the one that's 2 for 2?
4)We get to hear even more garbage about what geniuses Smack and Muschamp are.
5)Tejas win lends credence to the notion that they, and not us, should've been in the Orange Bowl last year.
6)Every Tejas fan gets to rub our noses in the fact that they've done more in two visits to the NC than we have in four.

On the balance, I just don't see why we'd root for Tejas. Maybe those of you who feel we should root against Bama (as you are fellow Sooner fans, and therefore my beloved brothers and sisters, I assume that even if you disagree with my reasoning, the most you can bring yourself to do is root against Bama, because who the hell could actually *cheer* for Tejas, y'know?) could list the pros you see to a Tejas win (or Bama loss, which'd probably be a better way of putting it.)

humblesooner
1/7/2010, 02:51 PM
Yep - I read on the internet that if Texas wins tonight, all of OU's commits will decommit and walkon at Texas.
That would be like a major bummer and stuff.

RedstickSooner
1/7/2010, 03:11 PM
Yep - I read on the internet that if Texas wins tonight, all of OU's commits will decommit and walkon at Texas.
That would be like a major bummer and stuff.

Humble, if you've got secret man-love for Texas, it's okay. We won't run you out of town or anything. Just 'fess up so we can start mocking you for it :)

Pigface1
1/7/2010, 03:15 PM
Hell yes it hurts, even if it causes you to miss out on one player.

F*** Texas.

/

GKeeper316
1/7/2010, 03:19 PM
if texas was a guy, id wish his dog got hit by a bus.

**** texas.

roll tide!

stoopified
1/7/2010, 03:28 PM
Don't know,don't care.I hate the Longhorns and want them to lose at EVERYTHING.

olevetonahill
1/7/2010, 03:31 PM
if texas was a guy, id wish his dog got hit by a bus.

**** texas.

roll tide!

Id wish HE got Hit by a Bus and His Dog Came to OK.

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2010, 03:31 PM
Whether it helps us, hurts us, or makes no difference: **** texass!

GKeeper316
1/7/2010, 03:34 PM
Id wish HE got Hit by a Bus and His Dog Came to OK.

i like where your head's at.

humblesooner
1/7/2010, 03:34 PM
Humble, if you've got secret man-love for Texas, it's okay. We won't run you out of town or anything. Just 'fess up so we can start mocking you for it :)

I got something for Texas, but they don't call it man love!!!!
I was just making a smart assed comment to the OP.

To be serious, I don't think it makes a lot of difference. When most people think of "hurt OU" they think of recruiting. I think Bob will be just fine in that aspect. I don't think we will have any recruits jump ship tomorrow morning because OU didn't wint the NC and texas does. They pretty much knew which way the OU ship was sailing about the end of the game in Dallas (the second game in Dallas). Yet they are still OU commits.

starclassic tama
1/7/2010, 04:07 PM
too much convoluted discussion in this thread. texas winning a national title is nothing but bad for OU, period.

goingoneight
1/7/2010, 04:28 PM
I keep hearing people say that a Texas win tonight is bad for OU recruiting. On the surface that sounds like a valid argument but I'm not buying it for the following reasons:
1. Texas, with a few exceptions, gets the best players out of their state regardless of whether they are winning titles or not.

2. OU won a national title and beat Texas 5 years straight but that success didn't destroy Texas recruiting in the least.

3. With scholly limits, no school can take all the good players.

Lastly, As time passes I put less and less stock in recruiting rankings. It has been proven time and again to be inexact at best. Lots of guys boasting 5-star rankings either bust or get overshadowed by the Sam Bradfords of the world.
I'm not saying raw talent isn't important but I do believe real success comes from good coaching, hard work, and hungry players.

What's your opinion? Do you really think the sky will fall on OU recruiting if UT wins tonight?

1. Adrian Peterson, Tommie Harris

2. 45-12, 28-10, 45-35, 16-13

3. Not all the good players, but certainly the best.

We're not going anywhere as far as the top 10 is concerned under Stoops, but it does make a difference what is being done on the field a majority of the time. No Leach now in the BIG 12 to take the top QBs and WRs from UT, either.

Plus... do you really like the idea of UT having 2 MNCs under Brown and us being the BCS whipping toy? Not me... not one bit.

2005 was okay. Agonizing, but tolerable. Two Tejas MNCs is intolerable.

TopDawg
1/7/2010, 05:23 PM
I don't ever want Mack Brown to have more national titles than Bob Stoops.

Unless they trade schools.

goingoneight
1/7/2010, 06:13 PM
The people trying to rationalize why Bama winning is a bad thing have no idea what they're talking about.

Forget recruiting. Forget the SEC-SEC-SEC hard-on ESPN and the like have.

Tell me how living amongst bandwagon whorn fans fresh off an MNC feels. Tell me you don't remember the hoards of people buying ugly-*** burnt-orange cars in 2006. Tell me it's not sickening being owned by your arch rival.

Better days for the Sooners starts with a Texas loss tonight. End. Of. Story.

proudsoonergal
1/7/2010, 07:51 PM
I live in Austin. Gloating UT fans SUCK - 2005 was HORRIBLE. I want Bama to beat the crap out of UT, a la TGOWWDNS. I want to hear wailing in the streets. I want the stupid UT tower to be dark tonight. I want to see crestfallen UT fans for the next nine months.

So, yeah, ROLL TIDE.

Sooner Eclipse
1/7/2010, 08:05 PM
I know this. If AD had been in the 06 recruiting class instead of the 04 class, he prolly woulda been a horn. :(

Crimsontothecore
1/8/2010, 12:57 AM
For those of you who thought a Texas win would have hurt OU, How do you explain Bama just winning the NC when they haven't won a conference title in 10 years or a national title in 18 years? Shouldn't the recent titles won by Florida and LSU have set back Bama's recruiting to the point that they couldn't possibly have won this NC?
Think about it.

TopDawg
1/8/2010, 10:49 AM
For those of you who thought a Texas win would have hurt OU, How do you explain Bama just winning the NC when they haven't won a conference title in 10 years or a national title in 18 years? Shouldn't the recent titles won by Florida and LSU have set back Bama's recruiting to the point that they couldn't possibly have won this NC?
Think about it.

If Florida hadn't won 3 years ago, maybe Alabama gets one or two more key recruits and they're now celebrating back-to-back national titles.