PDA

View Full Version : Franks gone!

madillsoonerfan5353
1/7/2010, 11:00 AM
Dominique Franks Opts for NFL
The Tulsa native started all 13 games at cornerback for the Sooners this season.

Dominique Franks

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma cornerback Dominique Franks has notified Sooner coaches that he plans to forgo his senior season of eligibility to enter the NFL Draft. OU Head Coach Bob Stoops made that announcement today.

“We wish Dom all the best and I hope at some point that he’ll also be back to complete his degree,” Stoops said.

Franks played in 39 games during his career with 27 starting assignments. He wraps up his career with 60 tackles and six interceptions. The Tulsa native scored three touchdowns during his career, two on interception returns and another on a fumble return. He also returned 29 punts for 346 yards.

Last season, Franks started all 13 games. He compiled 42 tackles and two interceptions. He was named All-Big 12 by the conference’s coaches.

I dont think he is ready, but money talks and you know what walks! Good luck!

OKLA21FAN
1/7/2010, 11:01 AM
germans .....bombs........Pearl Harbor :gary:

goingoneight
1/7/2010, 11:06 AM
Are you gonna tell us who Notre Dame hired while you're at it?!?!

Leroy Lizard
1/7/2010, 11:10 AM
I hear there are some rumblings in Lubbock about Leach.

Boomer.....
1/7/2010, 11:10 AM
I'm looking for a video of Ronnell Lewis hitting somebody hard in high school.

boomersooner28
1/7/2010, 11:14 AM
When does Sam announce his decision to stay or go?

OK2U
1/7/2010, 11:21 AM
:pop:
oh boy

DakotaSooner
1/7/2010, 11:22 AM
Should have stayed one more year

Blitzkrieg
1/7/2010, 11:32 AM
Should have stayed one more year

I don't see him being better than 3rd round, I think if you can make the first two rounds you should go.

Funny thing is everyone will use the "look what happened to Sam" theory from now on, but I think Sam will end up at a better place making almost the same money, and with a better chance at long term success than going to Detroit.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2010, 11:34 AM
When will Bradford declare?

Partial Qualifier
1/7/2010, 11:48 AM
Ahmed Kabba is transferring.

tommieharris91
1/7/2010, 12:01 PM
something something Boomer Sooner Ringtone

Leroy Lizard
1/7/2010, 12:01 PM
Hey guys! I found this great farking forum on the Web. Check it out!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Boomer.....
1/7/2010, 12:07 PM
What is an ENA?

RedstickSooner
1/7/2010, 12:12 PM
germans .....bombs........Pearl Harbor :gary:

Not fair, yo -- the Krauts bombing Pearl *would* be news ;)

badger
1/7/2010, 01:00 PM
Mark Mangino is now 5-0! Wow! Think Kansas is for real this year? The players really seem to fight for him. I really think they might beat us this year, but I hope we can pull off a victory... but nobody else can beat the Jayhawks! KU has a coach for life in Mangino.

JiuJitsuSooner
1/7/2010, 01:27 PM
Chance Mock?

OKLA21FAN
1/7/2010, 01:33 PM
All i know is that i hope Switzer doesn't resign because of all this mess. :pop:

SoonerDood
1/7/2010, 01:33 PM
why do we call him AD? shouldn't it be AP?

badger
1/7/2010, 01:39 PM
The Army All-American game is this weekend, and I really, really hope this one studly running back from Texas named Adrian Peterson commits to us. I know it comes down to us and Texas, and I'm not really sure why they call him AD instead of AP, but I'm sure that this guy will be great for us with Jason White returning.

COME TO OKLAHOMA, ADRIAN!!!!!!

cvsooner
1/7/2010, 01:44 PM
Seriously...'search' is your friend.

Dio
1/7/2010, 01:50 PM
WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!!!

badger
1/7/2010, 01:55 PM
I really hope OU considers hiring Dennis Franchione to replace John Blake. This guy is a fantastic coach that really helped rebuild TCU and I think he would be a perfect fit in the Big 12.

Salt City Sooner
1/7/2010, 01:57 PM
Did we land Chip Ambres?

adoniijahsooner
1/7/2010, 01:57 PM
http://www.mikearauz.com/images/conan_year2000.jpg

IslandSooner
1/7/2010, 02:05 PM
This thread is making me consider bringing back the mullet. Oh wait, I still have it....
BOOMER......

badger
2/5/2010, 11:43 AM
This thread is so awesome I'm going to resurrect this one for a legit reason and not because I just heard Switzer supported the hiring of former OU standout John Blake for our head coaching vacancy.

The reason Dominique Franks left for the NFL... fear of injuries.

Link! (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100205_92_B1_Oklaho23315)

Good read. Check it out... and this thread still rocks :D

goingoneight
2/5/2010, 12:33 PM
Keith Nichol is gonna start for OU because Josh Heupel went to his house the night of the BIG 12 Championship game and he runs the ball.

stoopified
2/5/2010, 03:40 PM
I hear OU has decided to get serious about football and have hired Jim Tatum as coach.He is bringing a former Minnesota Gopher QB with him,some guy named Charles Wilkinson.Wonder how that will work out. For some reason I think Tatum will be ONE AND DONE at OU.

goingoneight
2/5/2010, 06:10 PM
Hey! We're playing Miami in 2007!

Breadburner
2/5/2010, 06:30 PM
Where can I get a Boomer Sooner ringtone....???

gaylordfan1
2/5/2010, 06:30 PM
I STILL think he should have stayed! Damn-it........

badger
2/5/2010, 06:39 PM
I STILL think he should have stayed! Damn-it........

Yes, I, too, think Jimmy Wilkerson should have stayed for his senior season, but I realize that he had family obligations and extreme financial hardship, so like Bob Stoops said, we wish him all the best.

He's a great kid. I am seriously worried that he won't get drafted. Then, if he does get drafted in like the sixth round or so, will he even make a roster, or be able to stay in the league for a few years? What if his original team drops him - will another team pick him up? The NFL Draft is so full of questions for early entries that we might never know the answers to until six, seven years from now, so all I can do now is wish Jimmy the best.

sooner59
2/5/2010, 10:30 PM
I didn't realize this was an old thread at first.

I thought it was the end of Beamer-ball as we know it.

sooneron
2/6/2010, 12:11 AM
Kasey Studdard to texas! The hits just keep on coming!

tulsaoilerfan
2/6/2010, 10:42 AM
Why is Paul Thompson called ENA?

GrapevineSooner
2/6/2010, 10:47 AM
You think Ryan Perilloux will do well at Texas?

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/6/2010, 12:24 PM
Why are we recruiting this Dupree guy? BRING BACK THE 'BONE!

badger
2/6/2010, 12:53 PM
Henryetta is just down the road from us here in Tulsa, and there's this really awesome quarterback named Troy somebody or other. Think OU goes after him?

hgarmorer
2/6/2010, 02:01 PM
I wonder if any Sooners will ever get drafted by the Bears?

hgarmorer
2/6/2010, 02:02 PM
Isn't there some Defensive coach over in Florida we might want to look at for the HC gig?

sooner59
2/6/2010, 02:49 PM
Why is Paul Thompson called ENA?

I was actually wondering that. I must have missed the memo.

hgarmorer
2/6/2010, 06:35 PM
HAHA
Ebony Ninja Assassin

boomersooner28
2/6/2010, 06:54 PM
Word on the street is that Texas Tech is possibly wanting to interview Mike Leach.

badger
2/6/2010, 07:13 PM
Word on the street is that Texas Tech is possibly wanting to interview Mike Leach.

Let him walk. I can't wait till Chuck Long gets promoted to offensive coordinator. Him or Mark Mangino. Our fans would be 100 percent behind those guys.

sooner59
2/6/2010, 07:18 PM
HAHA
Ebony Ninja Assassin

LOL!

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/7/2010, 12:46 AM
You think this German kicker we have coming in...Ewe or Oovie or whatever his name is...will be as good as that stud Italian?

E-Town
2/7/2010, 12:57 AM
Maybe if we sign all three brothers, one of them Selmon kids could help out with the defensive side of the ball.

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/7/2010, 10:21 AM
BREAKING NEWS: OU head coach loses arm in hunting accident.

soonerloyal
2/7/2010, 10:37 AM
Washington Burns!!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/WashingtonBurns.jpg

badger
2/7/2010, 10:44 AM
Hey guys! Billy Vessels just won some award called the Heisman Trophy. Never heard of it. Can any of you tell me what it's for?

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/7/2010, 12:55 PM
I went to get a haircut this morning at Bud Risinger's place on Main Street...and I overheard some guys talking about putting together a football team. Anywhere here know anything about this?

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2010, 01:41 PM
I went to get a haircut this morning at Bud Risinger's place on Main Street...and I overheard some guys talking about putting together a football team. Anywhere here know anything about this?

I thought I would join the team too, but they don't have any way to choose a legitimate national champion. What's there to play for?

I can be a true ***hat. :D

MamaMia
2/7/2010, 01:54 PM
Wow, it boggles my mind how some of you people think that every Sooner who cheers for our team should read every single thread you post on soonerfans.com. Some people actually have busy lives that dont afford them the time you all devote to message boards. So what if this is not news. Big deal. Is that any reason to kick class and manners to the curb? Shame on you.

badger
2/7/2010, 04:51 PM
Wow, it boggles my mind how some of you people think that every Sooner who cheers for our team should read every single thread you post on soonerfans.com. Some people actually have busy lives that dont afford them the time you all devote to message boards. So what if this is not news. Big deal. Is that any reason to kick class and manners to the curb? Shame on you.

:O just having fun. going to corner to sit and think about what i've done in advance before you serve that punishment, mama

soonerloyal
2/7/2010, 05:09 PM
Some people actually have busy lives that dont afford them the time you all devote to message boards.

That's why I jumped on more than halfway in, not bothering to do anything but add to the jokes.

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/7/2010, 05:12 PM
That's why I jumped on more than halfway in, not bothering to do anything but add to the jokes.

^ This.

OK2U
2/7/2010, 06:01 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100205_92_B1_Oklaho23315

DOMINIQUE FRANKS has two very good reasons why he decided to skip his senior year at Oklahoma and enter the NFL draft.

One is Sam Bradford. The other is Jermaine Gresham.

Two of Franks' oldest and dearest friends at OU announced a year ago that they wanted to play another year for the Sooners. Then both had their 2009 season ruined by injury. Now, even their NFL earning potential may have been damaged by their decisions to return to school.

Franks decided he wanted no part of that.

"I didn't want to come back to school and think, 'You know, I could potentially get hurt like Sam and Jermaine,' Franks told the Tulsa World in a telephone interview this week.

Franks and Bradford were basketball teammates from sixth through ninth grade. They played summer leagues together (Gerald McCoy also was a teammate) even after Franks moved from Oklahoma City to Owasso (Franks later moved to Union, where he was the 2005 Tulsa World state player of the year). Franks and Gresham weren't as close, but they frequently hung out on the summer hoops circuits.

They all arrived at OU in 2006. Gresham as a freshman played while Bradford and Franks redshirted. Bradford became a record-setting starter in 2007 and won the Heisman Trophy in 2008, while Gresham became an All-Big 12 tight end in '07 and an All-American in '08.

Franks started at cornerback in '08 and '09, and was twice named All-Big 12.

But while Franks was enjoying a defensive resurgence in the latter half of '09, it pained him to see Bradford and Gresham laid up.

"Growing up with those guys and seeing those guys go down the early part of the year, I didn't want to come back and always have that on my mind," Franks said. "I always wanted to, if I came back, always have a clear mind and not go out there and worry about injuries."

So, even though his inquiry to the NFL's College Advisory Committee returned a third-round projection, the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Franks decided it was time to go.

It wasn't that he had done all he could at OU. Most analysts agree that he could have improved his stock with another solid year after starting 27 consecutive games, collecting six interceptions, three touchdowns, 15 pass breakups and 96 tackles.

Rather, Franks didn't want to risk his future in either of two ways: by getting injured next season, or by worrying so much about getting injured that he played poorly. Either way, he figured, his draft stock might be lower in 2011.

Todd McShay, scouting director at Scouts Inc., said Franks might have benefited from another season at OU, but understood why he left, having faced the reality of seeing his close friends cheated out of a season by injury.

"It's unfortunate," McShay said. "If it's in your mind and you're worried about it, it's hard to tell a guy to go back, because often times if you're thinking about getting injured, it can happen to you because you're just not playing the same way. Whether he made the right decision or not, it's up for debate. If he comes off the board in the first two rounds, you could make the argument that he did make the right decision."

Franks is hoping to improve that third-round projection. After hiring sports agent Doug Hendrickson, he's been working out in Los Angeles (one of his workout partners is former OU teammate Brian Jackson) with Octagon Football, sharpening his cornerback techniques and knocking off tenths of seconds in various drills. He said he's even been electronically timed at 4.29 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

"Right now, a lot of coaches have (records of) me running in the high 4.4s, 4.48, 4.49 and the low 4.5s," Franks said. "So right now they've got me running pretty slow."

Last spring, Franks officially ran a 4.38 at OU. He called the College Advisory Committee's projections "conservative" and said he is faster than they think. His goal at the NFL Scouting Combine later this month is to run 4.35 or better.

"Anything that's low 4.4 or better, it's gonna raise my stock a lot," he said.

Said McShay, "Anything under 4.4 is ridiculous, especially for a guy who has decent size. I think he'll probably be a second-round pick if everything works out really well and everything comes together."

Tackles Dominique Franks had in three seasons at OU

Tackles Franks made in 2009, including 33 solo stops

Pass breakups, including five in 2009 season

Interceptions at Oklahoma

JUNIOR LEAGUE

A list of Oklahoma underclassmen who declared early for the NFL draft during Bob Stoops’ tenure, including round drafted and team:

2002: S Roy Williams, 1st, Dallas

2003: DE Jimmy Wilkerson, 6th, Kansas City

2004: DT Tommie Harris, 1st, Chicago

2005: S Brodney Pool, 2nd, Cleveland

2007: RB Adrian Peterson, 1st, Minnesota

2008: LB Curtis Lofton, 2nd, Atlanta; WR Malcolm Kelly, 2nd, Washington; DB Reggie Smith, 3rd, San Francisco

2010: QB Sam Bradford, CB Dominique Franks, DT Gerald McCoy