PDA

View Full Version : Briles to Tech

cdlbdd
1/6/2010, 06:46 PM
The Ticket (radio station) in Dallas just reported that Tech has reached an agreement with Briles. Discuss!

OKLA21FAN
1/6/2010, 06:49 PM
Sicems gunna hate this

badger
1/6/2010, 07:00 PM
Baylor = :stunned:
http://i48.tinypic.com/28cm3ad.jpg

:D

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 07:03 PM
Still just rumor and conjecture. Nothing has been confirmed by anyone actually involved in the process.

AlbqSooner
1/6/2010, 07:21 PM
Still just rumor and conjecture. Nothing has been confirmed by anyone actually involved in the process.

Don't matter. Been posted on the innerweb. It's Gospel.;)

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 07:24 PM
Evidently, Tech has the money lined up and has asked Baylor to allow negotiations with Briles. If that happens, Tech is almost certainly going to hire Briles. HOWEVER, our AD has denied Tech permission to negotiate.

So...that means I don't know what....

boomerborn79
1/6/2010, 07:27 PM
Sounds like the first half of my prophecy is true. Now Leach to Baylor.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 07:30 PM
Sounds like the first half of my prophecy is true. Now Leach to Baylor.

lol, there is nooooo way our Administration would ever and boy do I mean EVER hire Mike Leach. I love Leach but he'd mix with Baylor as well as oil and water.

I frankly don't have a clue who we'd go after. Tuberville maybe....

I just don't know. I don't see anyone out there who fits or who would come to Baylor.

jbstrick
1/6/2010, 07:37 PM
Briles is going nowhere. At least according to Chris Level

http://twitter.com/ChrisLevel

"Art Briles won't be bought out by Texas Tech. Source close to someone that just left the meeting says to me, "not happening!"

boomerborn79
1/6/2010, 07:37 PM
I doubt Tubber will. Look Leach will want to compete against tech and he is just what Baylor needs. Some mix-up. I would love it. Baylor would become my second fav. team in the big 12

boomerborn79
1/6/2010, 07:39 PM
Briles is going nowhere. At least according to Chris Level

http://twitter.com/ChrisLevel

"Art Briles won't be bought out by Texas Tech. Source close to someone that just left the meeting says to me, "not happening!"
(The janitor that just cleaned out the shed and electric room told me):D :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/6/2010, 07:40 PM
Sheesh, why doesn't Tech just hire Urban Meyer, so Stoops can go FU?

boomerborn79
1/6/2010, 07:46 PM
Sheesh, why doesn't Tech just hire Urban Meyer, so Stoops can go FU?

Cause stoops is at FSU:D or did you mean the Youngstown stoops

OUinFLA
1/6/2010, 07:52 PM
So, SicEm during your tenure as a Baylor student, how many coaches have you seen come and go?

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 08:19 PM
So, SicEm during your tenure as a Baylor student, how many coaches have you seen come and go?

Steele
Morriss
Briles

So, I've been there for 3 coaches possibly 4 depending on how this goes.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 08:29 PM
Shoot, I went through three coaches at OU.

I thought you went all the way back to Teaff.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 08:35 PM
Shoot, I went through three coaches at OU.

I thought you went all the way back to Teaff.

Nah, I was still an OU fan during the Teaff years...well the later Teaff years at least.

Dan Thompson
1/6/2010, 08:36 PM
Ya know, when you have a cracked engine block and the oil looks like chocolate? That's oil and water mixing. It can be done.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 08:49 PM
Ya know, when you have a cracked engine block and the oil looks like chocolate? That's oil and water mixing. It can be done.

:blink:

I'm not sure you know exactly who you're talking to.

boomerborn79
1/6/2010, 08:54 PM
:blink:

I'm not sure you know exactly who you're talking to.

I think he is refering to the Leach to Baylor comment. Just guessing.;)

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 08:57 PM
I think he is refering to the Leach to Baylor comment. Just guessing.;)

I know. It's the analogy and me and....nevermind.

http://picardfacepalm.com/picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

kiomanche
1/6/2010, 08:58 PM
Would Baylor give Briles more money to stay?

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 09:00 PM
Would Baylor give Briles more money to stay?

Evidently we are, the scuttlebutt is that we gave him a contract extension and pay raise to ward off Tech's offer.

My opinion is that while I like and have faith in Briles' coaching ability, his performance thus far would not seem to justify a raise and extension.

Avoiding another coaching search, however, is worth a raise and even extension.

TXBOOMER
1/6/2010, 09:02 PM
Briles to Tech would be a great hire for Tech.

OUinFLA
1/6/2010, 09:04 PM
Steele
Morriss
Briles

So, I've been there for 3 coaches possibly 4 depending on how this goes.

if Briles would just sign a 10 year non-breakable contract, he could perhaps be coach when you graduate................or not.

boomerborn79
1/6/2010, 09:04 PM
I know. It's the analogy and me and....nevermind.

http://picardfacepalm.com/picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

Well there is no need to yell at me about it. I guess I just don't know who I'm talkin to.:D

Jello Biafra
1/6/2010, 09:11 PM
Well there is no need to yell at me about it. I guess I just don't know who I'm talkin to.:D

in other words, he wouldn't know what an engine block was if you hit him in the farggin head with it.

OUinFLA
1/6/2010, 09:16 PM

This is SicEm you're talking to.
Unless he took Auto Mechanics 101 in the past year, he doesn't exactly comprehend the above highlighted words.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 09:18 PM
This is SicEm you're talking to.
Unless he took Auto Mechanics 101 in the past year, he doesn't exactly comprehend the above highlighted words.

In my defense, I know what oil is. I don't know where it goes or specifically what it does (other than lubricate), but I know what it is.

As for engine block, I'm clueless.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 09:26 PM
http://image.corvettefever.com/f/9410826/corp_0712w_09_z+2009_corvette_ZR1_LS9_engine+block .jpg

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 09:31 PM
http://image.corvettefever.com/f/9410826/corp_0712w_09_z+2009_corvette_ZR1_LS9_engine+block .jpg

I'm guessing the pistons go in those 4 circular holes on the sides.

Does something called the, "cam shaft" go into one of those holes on the front? Like, possibly the lower one?

olevetonahill
1/6/2010, 09:34 PM
I'm guessing the pistons go in those 4 circular holes on the sides.

Does something called the, "cam shaft" go into one of those holes on the front? Like, possibly the lower one?

Tha cam shaft fits in the top smaller Hole
the Lower end hole is for the Crankshaft
There thats all ya need to know :D

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 09:36 PM
Tha cam shaft fits in the top smaller Hole
the Lower end hole is for the Crankshaft
There thats all ya need to know :D

Damn, I was close!

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 10:02 PM
A hole's a hole!

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that if SicEm gets a shaft into any hole we should be pretty happy for him.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 10:05 PM
If you were real friends you'd all send a few engine blocks my way.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 10:06 PM
Just disassemble your engine. Since you DO know what oil is all the holes are pre-lubed.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 10:07 PM
Just to get off topic by getting back on it...Briles is NOT going anywhere.

http://www.redraiders.com/2010/01/06/briles-out-as-tech-candidate-search-might-widen/

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 10:14 PM
I hear Mike Leach is available.

OUinFLA
1/6/2010, 10:15 PM
Just to get off topic by getting back on it...Briles is NOT going anywhere.

http://www.redraiders.com/2010/01/06/briles-out-as-tech-candidate-search-might-widen/

That pretty much nails it. Briles will be the next head coach at TTu

Eielson
1/6/2010, 10:20 PM
Seeing those E-mails from last year, if Tech hires Briles, it was planned.

King Barry's Back
1/6/2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah, remember when OU Offensive Coordinator Mike Leach held a press conference to say he had "removed his name from consideration" to be head coach at Texas Tech?

EDIT: Above in reply to OUinFLA -- "That pretty much nails it. Briles will be the next head coach at TTu"

S008NER
1/6/2010, 10:53 PM
Evidently we are, the scuttlebutt is that we gave him a contract extension and pay raise to ward off Tech's offer.

My opinion is that while I like and have faith in Briles' coaching ability, his performance thus far would not seem to justify a raise and extension.

Avoiding another coaching search, however, is worth a raise and even extension.

A 4-8 coach gets a contract extension and raise?? Wouldn't want that gem to get away.

NCSooner18
1/6/2010, 11:03 PM
Why just Tommy Bowden? The whole family is available. They like hiring coaches who were run off from the school that made them famous. Hire Bobby and he can hire Terry and Tommy as his coordinators.

sooneredaco
1/6/2010, 11:07 PM
Nah, I was still an OU fan during the Teaff years...well the later Teaff years at least.

So I've been an observer on this board for a 2-3 years maybe a bit longer, but just until recently started really posting anything. I guess I don't know the history here. But it sounds like you used to be an OU fan, but then I'm assuming you went to Baylor (maybe Med School great Medical School) then became a Baylor fan? If this is correct, man that's gotta suck to go from being a fan of such a storied program to perhaps one of the worst D1 schools program around (at least in the only sport that really matters). Anyways you've got a lot more clout than me around here with all your posts, but man football season gotta be rough for you if that's the case. Anyways thanks for the Baylor insight, for once we seem to kinda care in a weired way around here these days..... Goes to show how crappy of a season it's been.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 11:12 PM
He just switched because Baylor is further south!

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 11:13 PM
So I've been an observer on this board for a 2-3 years maybe a bit longer, but just until recently started really posting anything. I guess I don't know the history here. But it sounds like you used to be an OU fan, but then I'm assuming you went to Baylor (maybe Med School great Medical School) then became a Baylor fan? If this is correct, man that's gotta suck to go from being a fan of such a storied program to perhaps one of the worst D1 schools program around (at least in the only sport that really matters). Anyways you've got a lot more clout than me around here with all your posts, but man football season gotta be rough for you if that's the case. Anyways thanks for the Baylor insight, for once we seem to kinda care in a weired way around here these days..... Goes to show how crappy of a season it's been.

I'm from Oklahoma. I was always a fan of OU growing up, but when I graduated HS I chose to attend Baylor for a number of reasons. Yes, I love OU but who had the better football program didn't have much to do with my decision.

I've never regretted it for a minute. Ever heard someone say they love someone but they're not IN love with them anymore? It was like that...I still love OU but I fell in love with Baylor.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 11:20 PM
It's kinda like how I'm still writing letters asking for Punky Brewster to come back to TV.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 11:22 PM
It's kinda like how I'm still writing letters asking for Punky Brewster to come back to TV.

She got hot!

sooneredaco
1/6/2010, 11:23 PM
Yea attending a school for thier football program is not the best way to choose your education. If so, imagine how desolate the OSU aggie campus would be.... but wait if it's not for the athletics, it can't be for the ag classes can it? Oh well sometimes people just make bad descisions!

Frozen Sooner
She got hot!

And wicked smart. Has a Ph.D in mathematics.

Crucifax Autumn
That's our SicEm!

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 11:24 PM

Oh, the irony...

bluedogok
1/6/2010, 11:25 PM
A 4-8 coach gets a contract extension and raise?? Wouldn't want that gem to get away.
After Steele and Morris, 4-8 makes Briles a winner....

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 11:25 PM
Oh, the irony...

I'm not seeing the irony.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 11:26 PM
It's definitely there.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 11:29 PM
After Steele and Morris, 4-8 makes Briles a winner....

Actually, Morriss had a 5-6 season.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 11:34 PM
It's definitely there.

It's going right over my head, seriously. Help me out.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 11:39 PM
This could be good.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 11:40 PM
I PMed it. :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 11:40 PM
Well now...That doesn't help with everyone else's entertainment.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 11:46 PM
It wasn't particularly entertaining. Or even irony. I'll leave it at that.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 11:49 PM

I didn't get the connection with Punky Brewster.

Miscommunication all around.

King Barry's Back
1/6/2010, 11:50 PM
Why just Tommy Bowden? The whole family is available. They like hiring coaches who were run off from the school that made them famous. Hire Bobby and he can hire Terry and Tommy as his coordinators.

That's a risky move. You think a QB controversy is distracting for a team? Wait til you see a Bowden v. Bowden "Coach-in-waiting" controversy.

King Barry's Back
1/6/2010, 11:55 PM
Yea attending a school for thier football program is not the best way to choose your education. If so, imagine how desolate the OSU aggie campus would be.... but wait if it's not for the athletics, it can't be for the ag classes can it? Oh well sometimes people just make bad descisions!

Anybody remember Cleta Deatheridge, and later Cleta Deatheridge Mitchell? (Those spellings may be off...) She was a pretty well-known Oklahoma politician back in the 80s.

When I was in high school and being "recruited" by area colleges, she spoke at one of the big OU events I attended.

She stated that, coming out of high school, she chose OU because she wanted to get football tickets. She went on to say that she learned there was much more to OU, but that even then, you couldn't knock getting the tickets, either.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 11:57 PM
Whoops. I was confusing Punky Brewster with Winnie from the Wonder Years.

SicEmBaylor
1/7/2010, 12:01 AM
Anybody remember Cleta Deatheridge, and later Cleta Deatheridge Mitchell? (Those spellings may be off...) She was a pretty well-known Oklahoma politician back in the 80s.

When I was in high school and being "recruited" by area colleges, she spoke at one of the big OU events I attended.

She stated that, coming out of high school, she chose OU because she wanted to get football tickets. She went on to say that she learned there was much more to OU, but that even then, you couldn't knock getting the tickets, either.

Don't OU students have to pay for their tickets or enter some lottery system?

I've never paid for a Baylor ticket to any sporting event in my life. I flash my ID and I sit wherever the hell I want (except the boxes). You can't beat that ease of access or price!

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2010, 12:09 AM
Well yeah, when there are only 12 people sharing the stadium it's easy!

SicEmBaylor
1/7/2010, 12:11 AM
Well yeah, when there are only 12 people sharing the stadium it's easy!

That's a huge plus in my book. You're not crammed in there like livestock with a bunch of annoying *** people, you get an entire stadium row to yourself (no joke I have before), lots of leg room, you can sit and watch the game with an unobstructed view. There isn't a bad seat in the house...

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2010, 12:13 AM
So that sitting thing...Being a Baylor fan is being like a 90 year old Sooner fan?

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2010, 12:13 AM
See, SicEm, when you cheer for Oklahoma (or Alabama) if you want the whole leg room and comfort experience you can watch the game on TV. I recognize this is not generally the case with Baylor.

A full season ticket (minus Texas) was $40 when I was at OU. A half-season ticket at Alabama was $40 this year. Student prices. Regular prices are quite a bit more, plus required "donations."

PLaw
1/7/2010, 08:01 AM
Reports on RaiderPower.com this morning are saying it is definitely NOT Briles.

Ticket punks miss it again?

BOOMER

NCSooner18
1/7/2010, 08:12 AM
That's a risky move. You think a QB controversy is distracting for a team? Wait til you see a Bowden v. Bowden "Coach-in-waiting" controversy.

Completely tongue in cheek, I assure you.

bmjlr
1/7/2010, 09:20 AM
She got hot!

This comment is worthless without pics...no offense. :D :pop:

soonerboomer93
1/7/2010, 10:24 AM
Whoops. I was confusing Punky Brewster with Winnie from the Wonder Years.

I was about to ask that

Winnie still hot

OUmillenium
1/7/2010, 10:34 AM
still wwop

soonerx
1/7/2010, 10:50 AM
I was about to ask that

Winnie still hot
Punky's still pretty hot too, too bad she had a boob reduction.

OUinFLA
1/7/2010, 11:30 AM
too bad she had a boob reduction.

:eek:

that should be against the law

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2010, 11:31 AM
Folks-

Phil (the site owner) requests that people NOT post pics of people in a state of dishabille, even to the point of wearing skimpy bikinis or lingerie. It is understood that no ill intent exists in the posting of these pics. However, when it was allowed a certain thread got out of hand rather quickly and landed SF.com on a couple of web-filter blacklists, which was rather mortifying to Phil, and a big hassle to those of us who enjoyed a break from work by posting here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Leroy Lizard
1/7/2010, 11:42 AM
that should be against the law

My understanding is that if she hadn't, she would be currently starring in a circus or Swedish XXX.

SoonerAtKU
1/7/2010, 11:51 AM

You're thinking of Winnie Cooper.

Eielson
1/7/2010, 12:32 PM
"Art Briles $4 mil buyout at Baylor will likely be too pricey for Texas Tech. Hey, *******s! Adam James wants more ice in his drink! You think this concussion is going to heal itself? NO IT NEEDS RUM AND COKES BITCH NOW FILL IT UP."

-Every Day Should Be Saturday

SoonerLB
1/7/2010, 01:00 PM
Whoever takes that job should have a clause in thier contract that excludes Adam James and his father from ANY contact with the TT football program, and not be allowed within 1000 yards of any facility that is a part of that program.
Maybe that's a little harsh ................. OK, he can be allowed in to scrub the toilets .................. with a toothbrush! :D

John Kochtoston
1/7/2010, 01:14 PM
Soleil Moon Frye did end up dating Danny O' Connor from House of Pain for a while. That's almost like earning a Ph.D in mathematics, except completely different.

soonerx
1/7/2010, 01:40 PM
My understanding is that if she hadn't, she would be currently starring in a circus or Swedish XXX.

Yep, not too far off. Apparently she developed a condition called gigantomastia (or macromastia) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantomastia).

Actress Soleil Moon Frye experienced abnormally rapid growth of her breasts until at age 15 and only 5 ft 1 in (1.55 m) tall, she had a 38-DD bust. It affected her professional and social life negatively. "People started to think of me as a bimbo," she said in an interview for People Magazine. "I couldn't sit up straight without people looking at me like I was a prostitute," Soleil said. "My breasts became an insecurity." In February 1992, three months before she turned 16, she underwent breast reduction surgery, leaving her breasts size 36-C. She commented afterward, "I'm finally free to be the teenager that I am."

Dio
1/7/2010, 02:10 PM
state of dishabille

Is that near Bammer?

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2010, 03:37 PM
I'm glad Froze was all confused. It makes up for my stupidity in the thread about the texas QB situation!

stoopified
1/7/2010, 03:49 PM
I personally hope TT can't get a decent coach and sucks forever.I would like to win about 20 in a row in Lubbock after the BS we have dealt with there in the Lach era.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2010, 04:01 PM
I'm glad Froze was all confused. It makes up for my stupidity in the thread about the texas QB situation!

It's a pretty common occurrence. :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2010, 04:02 PM
Same here obviously!

soonerboomer93
1/7/2010, 04:18 PM
Yep, not too far off. Apparently she developed a condition called gigantomastia (or macromastia) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantomastia).

can we have a moment of silence for the loss?

sooneron
1/7/2010, 04:29 PM

Is the ironic part that Punky has gotten two degrees since sic'em arrived in Waco?:texan:

And two bewbs redacted?

Bourbon St Sooner
1/7/2010, 04:34 PM
Anyways you've got a lot more clout than me around here with all your posts

If by clout you mean circus side show then, yes, Sic em has clout.

Jdog
1/7/2010, 05:09 PM
DON'T BELIEVE THE TICKET.

"the" ticket is full of poop
They're are the male version of the "View" in the Metroplex.
They don't really talk sports any more except in terms of how it makes us all feel.
They are the most self absorbed group of people that I've ever listened to.

TUSooner
1/7/2010, 05:12 PM
Negotiations are taking place in a dark shed, so I'm told.

S008NER
1/10/2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/report-tech-hires-tuberville-why-briles-passed-27585

After Tech offered Briles, Baylor donors ponied up an extension that included a second raise in less than a week for Briles. Briles now has a seven-year deal with Baylor.

:rolleyes:

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/10/2010, 12:32 PM
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/report-tech-hires-tuberville-why-briles-passed-27585

Awwwww, this isn't gonna be about Jesus, is it?

http://www.lewzworld.com/simpsons/opp003.jpg

StoopTroup
1/10/2010, 12:32 PM
Keeping Briles happy and at Baylor is good for Baylor.

The smart thing for Teams like Baylor, TCU, Tulsa etc...is to pony up and try and keep a really good Coach who can maybe become an ICON for them. Once you get a guy such as Snyder at K-State or a Bobbie Bowden at FSU....it's easier to attract really good Coaches IMO.

If you don't think that's really true...I give you Bob Stoops at OU. He's become an ICON and is already mentioned with Barry and Bud even before he had 10 years here and he's only 49.

Remember to send him a Birthday Card September 9th.

bluedogok
1/10/2010, 12:37 PM
I thought there was another interesting thing in that article.

What will be very interesting to find out is whether or not Tech allows Tuberville to hire his own staff, or the school forces Tuberville to take on existing assistants. I’ve been told that one of the reasons Tuberville was a leading candidate for the job is he told Tech officials that he was willing to keep some Tech assistant coaches.

That approach by Tech in the job search, along with the circumstances of Leach’s departure, turned off a lot of hot coaching prospects, like Houston’s Kevin Sumlin. I’ve been told that Sumlin didn’t think the Tech job was much of a step up from his current gig at Houston.

Tech’s lack of top-flight facilities in relation to the top schools in the Big 12 was also a factor in Sumlin’s passing on the job. I’ve confirmed that Tech was indeed interested in Sumlin, but the coach never returned the favor.

S008NER
1/10/2010, 12:55 PM
Keeping Briles happy and at Baylor is good for Baylor.

The smart thing for Teams like Baylor, TCU, Tulsa etc...is to pony up and try and keep a really good Coach who can maybe become an ICON for them. Once you get a guy such as Snyder at K-State or a Bobbie Bowden at FSU....it's easier to attract really good Coaches IMO.

If you don't think that's really true...I give you Bob Stoops at OU. He's become an ICON and is already mentioned with Barry and Bud even before he had 10 years here and he's only 49.

Remember to send him a Birthday Card September 9th.

I don't know that you really can consider Art Briles a good coach. He has a 8-16 record at baylor and has finished last in the Big 12 south in both years. Looking towards the future there is not much hope either. According to the rankings that I have seen, Baylor is last in the Big 12 south in recruiting, with a 5 star Waco prospect decommiting recently. He is also being out recruited by his successor at Houston Kevin Sumlin. So now they have just made it harder and more expensive to get rid of him if he is unable to turn that program around at Baylor.

OUinFLA
1/10/2010, 01:46 PM
Baylor has a football team?

Does SicEm know?