PDA

View Full Version : Andre Dawson finally gets into the HOF

Salt City Sooner
1/6/2010, 02:29 PM
but they're going to make Blyleven wait another year. :mad: Alomar not getting in surprises me as well. Loogie penalty? :eek:

NEW YORK -- Andre Dawson was elected to the Hall of Fame, while Bert Blyleven and Roberto Alomar fell just short of earning baseball's highest honor.

Dawson received 420 of 539 votes in voting announced Wednesday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America, 15 more than the 75 percent necessary to gain election.

The eight-time All-Star, appearing on the ballot for the ninth time, had fallen 44 votes short last year.

Blyleven had 400 votes, up from 338 last year, and likely will get in, what with two more tries on the BBWAA ballot.

Alomar received 397 votes in his first appearance, and was followed by Jack Morris with 282.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof10/news/story?id=4801847

BillyBall
1/6/2010, 02:32 PM
Finally

ouleaf
1/6/2010, 04:59 PM
Definitely deserving IMO. Great hitter and had a cannon for an arm out in Right Field.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/6/2010, 05:20 PM
great hair early on also

rawlingsHOH
1/7/2010, 12:14 PM
Dawson was defintely a fringe guy. I'm either way with him. No strong opinion.

Alomar was the best 2nd basemen in the last 70 years. It is RIDICULOUS he didn't get in.

Blyleven belongs to. 60 shutouts. Wow.

I'd vote Edgar, and Larkin too.

Salt City Sooner
1/7/2010, 01:54 PM
but they're going to make Blyleven wait another year. :mad: Alomar not getting in surprises me as well. Loogie penalty? :eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof10/news/story?id=4801847

FWIW, I was watching MLB channel last night when they were discussing the ballots & they had a quote from a guy who point blank said that he was making Alomar wait a year because of this. He said he'll vote for him next year.

TopDawg
1/7/2010, 02:08 PM
When I was growing up, the Yankees were my favorite team and Dave Winfield was my favorite player. The Cubs, however, were my second favorite team (since I could watch them on WGN) and The Hawk was my second favorite player.

It's been fun watching them both enter the HOF recently. And, being friends with 04, I actually like the fact that Winfield went in as a Padre.

ouleaf
1/27/2010, 01:20 PM
Did anyone else see this bullsh?!?

I think if you've been selected for the Hall of Fame, the player should get to choose among the teams he played for. We all know he started off with the Expos, but I think he will always be remembered by the masses as a Cub.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Baseball-Hall-of-Fame-denies-Andre-Dawson-Cubs-request-must-enter-as-Expo-012710

bri
1/27/2010, 01:27 PM
Yep, the Cubs lose again. Bah.

TopDawg
1/27/2010, 02:49 PM
When I was growing up, the Yankees were my favorite team and Dave Winfield was my favorite player. The Cubs, however, were my second favorite team (since I could watch them on WGN) and The Hawk was my second favorite player.

It's been fun watching them both enter the HOF recently. And, being friends with 04, I actually like the fact that Winfield went in as a Padre.

Heh. And now Dawson goes in as an Expo.

Sooner04
1/27/2010, 03:49 PM
Andre "The Hawk" Dawson

MONTREAL:
Seasons: 11
Hits: 1575
Homers: 225
RBIs: 838
BA: .280

CHICAGO:
Seasons: 6
Hits: 929
Homers: 174
RBIs: 587
BA: .285

Hard to argue with the production he put up in Montreal. You can blame the Tampa Bay Rays for MLB having to step in and make some of these "unpopular" decisions nowadays. Was it Wade Boggs or Canseco who had it stipulated in his contract with Tampa Bay that they had to go in as Rays to collect the big checks?

Also, in regards to Dawson, don't forget that Olympic Stadium was a cavern and that he lost his prime years of production to playing in that concrete abyss.

Scott D
1/27/2010, 04:26 PM
It was Boggs that the Devil Rays offered some money to if he'd go in as a Ray (when he retired), conveniently MLB changed the rules the year before Boggs was eligible. Boggs claimed that he was going to go in as a Red Sox regardless.

Hawk's an Expo, and Gary Carter is an Expo...end of story.