PDA

View Full Version : Folks, if you're thinking about it, GET HELP, it's not the answer...

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 12:21 PM
I got word last night that one of my stepbrothers is in the ICU after a (hopefully) failed suicide attempt. He'd been laid off for a year and incurred some pretty serious medical bills stemming from a snowmobile accident, which right now I assume is the ****-poor reason for trying to take his life. At current time I don't know whether he's going to make it or not. A few of you might remember me talking about my nephew who got back from Iraq a few years ago after serving in the 528-this is his dad.

Please, please, please. If you're even thinking about it in passing, GET HELP. There are people who can talk to you, and there are people who can help. It's never the right answer.

Right now I'm torn between being mad at him for being so damn selfish and worried about him, his wife, my stepmom, and his son.

Boomer.....
1/6/2010, 12:49 PM
It's a sad situation for the family. I just recent dealt with a suicide in the family. They think that they are taking the easy way out but it affects so many people around them. You're gone and everyone else has to "pick-up" after you. Bad deal.

Ardmore_Sooner
1/6/2010, 02:59 PM
I had a friend this last summer who kept talking about it. I called a local helpline and there are tons of ways to get help for yourself or someone who is talking about it. And if all else fails and it gets serious enough, call an emergency number.

Luckily my buddy was blowing off frustration of a lot of crap, but it's not something to be taken lightly.

Praying for your brother and family Froze.

OKC-SLC
1/6/2010, 03:01 PM
I'm sorry, Froze.

Collier11
1/6/2010, 03:10 PM
Kid from my HS just tried this over a girl and money, blew off his face and will be basically brain dead for the rest of his life with no eyesight, congrats...

I feel bad for people who struggle with depression and other issues but you have to man up and take what life throws at you, its never as bad as it seems and you only make it worse by doing this or trying this

olevetonahill
1/6/2010, 03:14 PM
Hope he has a Full Recovery bro and gets the Help he needs ..
Suicide is something I think Most people have at least Thot of . The Majority then go on to forget that thot .

tidalmouse
1/6/2010, 03:36 PM
So sorry to Read of this Froze.Life throws what seems like insurmountable crap at us all the time,but dealing with it is better than checking out.Prayers and Positive Vibes sent your way.Hope things get better for him and he gets the Help he needs.

Chuck Bao
1/6/2010, 03:51 PM
I don't understand depression and the problems some people face. Being out of work like that must feel terrible for those that have had their lives and self respect destroyed. With the current economy, I can just imagine that many more will contemplate ending their suffering. You are right, they should seek help. And, may God be with your stepbrother and all of your family.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words and to those of you who have shared your stories in PMs and comments. It looks like Mike (yeah, his name is Mike too) is going to make it, but he's got a long haul in front of him. They were able to reattach most of his jaw, but he's pretty mangled up.

Fraggle145
1/6/2010, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear about that Froze. Hope he makes it, and gets the help that he needs.

SunnySooner
1/6/2010, 07:07 PM
Sorry Froze, prayers for his recovery, mentally and physically.

OUHOMER
1/6/2010, 08:09 PM
A friend of mine i went to high school with killed himself about a month ago. He lost his job, but still no reason for it.

i always thought he a lot going for him, He was a big outdoors guy, hunting and fishing.

Anyway never understood it.

prayers for your family Mike

nmsoonergirl
1/6/2010, 08:23 PM
What an awful thing for your family (and him) to have to go through. Depression is a really terrible disease, not only for what it does to the person, but for what it does to those that love him. I'll keep you all in my thoughts.

Curly Bill
1/6/2010, 08:25 PM
Prayers for you and family Froze.

Tailwind
1/6/2010, 09:50 PM
So sorry your stepbrother was feeling so alienated and lost. I hope he can recover from this and will seek counseling to help him through this.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 09:56 PM
Real clinical depression is something you can't just "man up" to beat. People having a down time have that choice, but with a true chemical imbalance causing it they have to get help and medication...The same medication that can be detrimerntal to someone who is just "going through a tough time".

In any event, sorry to hear about this Froze and I hope he makes a full recovery and gets whatever type of help is appropriate for his particular situation.