PDA

View Full Version : Hand Guns, read and learn!

I Am Right
1/5/2010, 06:47 PM
EDITORIAL: The forgotten virtue of firearms

By THE WASHINGTON TIMES

During Christmas week, a registered sex offender with a conviction for attempted murder used a gun to take three hostages at a Wytheville, Va., post office. Not too surprisingly, the national media gave the crime extensive news coverage. Such sensationalism leaves a distorted image about what happens with guns every day in the United States. When guns work to stop crime, there's not nearly as much drama to sensationalize and, as a result, that much less coverage.

In Oklahoma City the previous week, an armed citizen singlehandedly stopped an attack that surely would have resulted in a multiple-victim public shooting. The media gave the event scant attention. The scene went down when a Marine, who was on leave and came home for the holidays, started firing in an apartment parking lot. Before anyone was harmed, another man aimed his permitted concealed handgun at the attacker and ordered him to put down his weapon. The shooter dropped his gun and ran into his father's apartment, barricading himself in. Three-and-a-half hours later, the man surrendered to the police.

A Marine with a gun who wanted to cause harm would surely be able to maim or kill a lot of people. Those dead bodies would have attracted exhaustive coverage. Of course, corpses are newsworthy in our sensational culture, but when an armed citizen stops an attack, the heroism rates barely a blip on the national radar screen. In this case, a search found just one television news story on the incident, and it left out the identity of the man who saved the day. In our confused times, murderers, it seems, are more interesting than heroes.

An important detail that is neglected in news coverage is that all the multiple-victim public shootings in America - crimes in which more than three people were killed - happened where legal concealed handguns are banned. The Wytheville post office is such a gun-free zone, not to mention that the felon who committed the crime was banned from possessing a firearm anywhere. The Oklahoma City attack was stopped because the man who stopped it could carry a concealed handgun.

Often what's true and what makes good TV are two different things. But either way, news standards don't give people any idea about the costs and benefits of people owning guns. Police are extremely important in stopping crimes, but police understand that they almost always arrive on the scene after a crime has occurred. Heroic actions of citizens who stop attacks deserve a lot more attention.

swardboy
1/5/2010, 07:42 PM
Amen.

Okla-homey
1/5/2010, 08:06 PM
As for me, I carry a gun because cops are too heavy.

I Am Right
1/6/2010, 05:23 PM
As for me, I carry a gun because cops are too heavy.

good one!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/6/2010, 07:59 PM
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2010/01/05/PH2010010504359.jpg

Hey, can y'all help me out??!!??

SanJoaquinSooner
1/6/2010, 09:44 PM
http://jessebastien.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/arenas-hands-up.jpg

Well, I've got to believe Curly Bill will fight for me!!!

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 09:48 PM
http://jessebastien.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/arenas-hands-up.jpg

Well, I've got to believe Curly Bill will fight for me!!!

I have no idea who that is, but I have no doubt that if his life were endangered by someone and Curly Bill were there and armed he'd do what he had to do to protect the lives of innocent people.

Curly Bill
1/6/2010, 10:08 PM
Word!!

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 10:10 PM
That's Gilbert Arenas, who was just sat down indefinitely by the league for bringing a gun to work and waving it at a teammate during a locker room altercation.

Because, you know, most people who advocate for 2nd Amendment rights are in full support of waving your gun around during arguments.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 11:18 PM
I wave my gun around all the time. It usually results in some woman slapping me for exposing myself.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/6/2010, 11:19 PM
Nice shoes. Wanna suck my gun?

Curly Bill
1/6/2010, 11:20 PM
If ya got a big gun why not wave it around is what I always say.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 11:25 PM
And shoot it off a lot?

Curly Bill
1/6/2010, 11:27 PM
And shoot it off a lot?

Every damn chance ya get!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/7/2010, 12:01 AM
NEW YORK (AP)—Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas(notes) was suspended without pay by NBA commissioner David Stern on Wednesday for behavior that made him “not currently fit to take the court.”

Arenas is under investigation by federal and local authorities after admitting to bringing guns to the locker room. Stern originally planned to wait to take action, but he tired of Arenas’ behavior.

A day after Arenas was photographed before a game in Philadelphia pointing his index fingers, as if they were guns, at his teammates, Stern warned the three-time All-Star that his conduct will “ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse.”

On Tuesday, a day after meeting with law enforcement officials, Arenas said he feared Stern more than the authorities because the commissioner was “mean.”

MR2-Sooner86
1/7/2010, 10:43 AM
Hmmm another gun debate heating up?

:pop:

swardboy
1/7/2010, 11:09 AM
Gilbert Arenas is a jackass, pretty well everyone agrees - who will lose his right to bear arms......next.

CrimsonandCreamForever
1/7/2010, 11:14 AM
I'm glad SJS has this all pigeon-holed for us already. Since, really, we all do look to the shining beacon in the night that is the NBA to model our own lives and virtues after. And it's also an exactly proportionate cross-section of the socio-economic spectrum of the population of this country.

Okla-homey
1/7/2010, 09:41 PM
I'm glad SJS has this all pigeon-holed for us already. Since, really, we all do look to the shining beacon in the night that is the NBA to model our own lives and virtues after. And it's also an exactly proportionate cross-section of the socio-economic spectrum of the population of this country.

You can take the thug out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the thug. :rolleyes:

Think about it. These kids, raised in single-parent "homes" in abject poverty raise themselves on mean streets, with no father-figure, and where the only two things that are respected are brute strength and athletic ability. Adding to this cultural "witch's brew" is utter disdain for academic prowess and disregard for the rule of law. Result? Epic Thuggery. And the NBA is full of 'em.

LosAngelesSooner
1/7/2010, 10:25 PM
You can take the thug out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the thug. :rolleyes:

Think about it. These kids, raised in single-parent "homes" in abject poverty raise themselves on mean streets, with no father-figure, and where the only two things that are respected are brute strength and athletic ability. Adding to this cultural "witch's brew" is utter disdain for academic prowess and disregard for the rule of law. Result? Epic Thuggery. And the NBA is full of 'em.
Arenas was raised by his single father in Florida and California after his mother, a drug addict, left him as a child. Arenas donated $100 for every point he scored in each home game during the 2006–07 season to local D.C. area schools, while Wizards team owner Abe Pollin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Pollin) matched that contribution for each away game. He also mentors a D.C. boy who lost his family in a fire at age 10. Arenas takes him shopping, bowling, got him a job as a ball boy for the Wizards, and acts as a brotherly figure towards him.

What the guy (Arenas) did was dumb.

What you did was make a blind, blanket assumption based on his race. Bravo.

sooneron
1/8/2010, 12:32 AM
Tell me you are not shocked on this board.

LosAngelesSooner
1/8/2010, 12:40 AM
Tell me you are not shocked on this board.Not from certain posters, no.

And I didn't even go into how Arenas went to college, had an active father who supported him and was constantly in his life, always had a job and stayed out of trouble. But I didn't want to THOROUGHLY smash ALL the little racist assumptions in Homey's post.

sooneron
1/8/2010, 12:40 AM
HOMEY see blackie wit a gat. Homey see ghetto bunny thug! Yup! That is the easy way fo life! Thank goodness he educated! He was in the army too, so he do not see no color! :D bwahahahahahaha!

LosAngelesSooner
1/8/2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah. *sigh* I'm gone for a while working, some things never change.

Oh, well. Back to work.

Check out the new thread I started with the link to the video and tell me what you think, Ron.

sooneron
1/8/2010, 12:43 AM
Blackie Gun!@! Blackie Gun!!!!!

sooneron
1/8/2010, 12:58 AM
I forgot the obligatory Roscoe P Coltrane " kew-kew-kew...kew.."

SanJoaquinSooner
1/8/2010, 01:11 AM

I'm not interested in a pigeon's hole. What 2nd amendment rights one has would be independent of what one thinks of the NBA, I presume.

Can one's employer restrict one's right to carry a weapon?

What does Curly Bill think?

CrimsonandCreamForever
1/8/2010, 02:24 AM
My point is, you tried to use one isolated incident that involved overpaid, underworked, self-entitled, prima donna *********s to try and somehow make a statement against certain conceal and carry practices in a lame attempt to rail against the opinion expressed in the OP.

LosAngelesSooner
1/8/2010, 02:34 AM
Overpaid? Probably.
Under worked? HARDLY. They work their asses off.
Primadonna? Likely.
****** bag? Definitely.

It is an interesting question to raise, however. One for the board lawyers. To what extent can employers limit a person's Constitutionally defined rights? Free speech? Right to bear arms? Etc...

StoopTroup
1/8/2010, 12:36 PM
The media does get one thing right in my mind.

Heroes. Real Heroes...don't want to be remembered. A pat on the back and a thank you are usually more than enough. Taking a life with your handgun ain't all it's cracked up to be even if you did it heroically.

However...knowing your Family or yourself can fight back against someone who wished to kill you...It's AOK in my book. I'll deal with the consequences after they throw dirt on him or her.

StoopTroup
1/8/2010, 12:40 PM

If you work on Federal Property? Yes they can.

If you work in a Mental Health Facility? Yes they can.

If you work in a Child Day Care or a School? Yes they can.

BTW....you shouldn't probably own any guns. It's just something that popped into my head suddenly and I blurted it out. Sorry.

CrimsonandCreamForever
1/8/2010, 01:48 PM
Is not not the property owner that has the right to limit concealed weapons more so than the employer? (if the two may or not be the same?)

KC//CRIMSON
1/8/2010, 02:01 PM
uK_rM_DKhvg

StoopTroup
1/8/2010, 04:20 PM
I kept waiting for him to accidentally shoot his camera.

soonerloyal
1/8/2010, 04:50 PM
I'm off to rant and cry into a pillow for the young Marine who most likely wouldn't have gone off the deep end if we hadn't shot our wad for 7 years in a combat zone we never should have been in.

****. :mad: :(

LosAngelesSooner
1/8/2010, 07:00 PM
uK_rM_DKhvgWhat I love?

"I'm gonna show you my whole gun collection. First is my brother's Ruger 10-22"

Thanks, kid. (slapupsidethehead)

Curly Bill
1/9/2010, 12:58 AM
I'm not interested in a pigeon's hole. What 2nd amendment rights one has would be independent of what one thinks of the NBA, I presume.

What does Curly Bill think?

I'm touched that you care what I think.

Because I could certainly not give a f*ck what you think.