PDA

View Full Version : So It seems My wild and Wicked ways

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 04:56 PM
Have caught up to me .
Doc said If I want to live a few more seasons I gots to straiten up My Diet and slow My Drankin Down. Which I have pretty much done lately anyway

Seems Ive become Diabetic :eek:

Gonna try to do it with Diet for now . Dont have that finger poker thing , Nor any meds .

Sugar dealeo was 258 , posed to be around 110 er so

We will see . Ive got to get it checked again in a few weeks and see whats its doing

Dayum it sucks gettin OLD, But it do beat the alternative:D

btk108
1/5/2010, 04:59 PM
Have caught up to me .
Doc said If I want to live a few more seasons I gots to straiten up My Diet and slow My Drankin Down. Which I have pretty much done lately anyway

Seems Ive become Diabetic :eek:

Gonna try to do it with Diet for now . Dont have that finger poker thing , Nor any meds .

Sugar dealeo was 258 , posed to be around 110 er so

We will see . Ive got to get it checked again in a few weeks and see whats its doing

Dayum it sucks gettin OLD, But it do beat the alternative:D

Hang in there, buddy....we're with ya!

btk108
1/5/2010, 05:00 PM
Hang in there, buddy....we're with ya!

notice I said "with you"....If JLEW says he's behind you...RUN!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 05:04 PM
You gotta do it Vet..My dad had to do the same thing, but he's turned into a pretty vicious bartender for everybody else

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 05:16 PM
Heh
they said I could have a 6 er a week
so Ima save em up fer football season and the Ho Down :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 05:19 PM
yeah that doesn't mean not drinkin for 5 months and then having 120 beers

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 05:22 PM
yeah that doesn't mean not drinkin for 5 months and then having 120 beers

SHHHHHH
Dayum it :D

Really think I can get it under control By changing My diet and start eating right
Instead of just whatever I find In the fridge.

SunnySooner
1/5/2010, 05:29 PM
Dayum, Vet. Hate to hear that! SUX!!!! I have an uncle in the same boat, but he sucked it up and lost a bunch of lbs., and now his sugar is normal, no meds, no nuthin'. Have you ever done the Atkins diet? I think it's sposed to be good for diabetes, and you can still eat steak and bacon :) . I'll be your diet buddy if ya want, I need to lose some of that Christmas ham that is now stuck to my bee-hind. Let me know, we could do weigh-ins and everything if ya want. In the meantime, go tell your doc your back hurts like hell, and maybe he'll give ya some pills to take the place of the Natty Lite.:D ;) :P

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 05:34 PM
Hell Sonny then Id have to Buy some scales and stuff,:D

Ive been cuttin way back on da Natty the last few months anyway.

Ima see if I cant just lose this weight and start eatin Better . then I should be able to Indulge a few On Games Days and such.

Was thinkin about gettin some of those Healthy Frozen Meals.
Make sure I got Cereal and Fruit and Veggies around , I like all that stuff anyway.

I weighed in at 242 today
Im a gonna see if I cant get back to My 190 From High School days :D

NormanPride
1/5/2010, 05:35 PM
Take care of yourself, buddy. We need more people like you, not less!

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 05:36 PM
Take care of yourself, buddy. We need more people like you, not less!

Thanks Bro
If Ima gonna have to Diet . My Dayum Weenie is going on one also .:cool:

Collier11
1/5/2010, 05:44 PM
you want your weenie to be skinny :eek:

Get yourself in better shape Vet, we want ya around for a long time

Boomer.....
1/5/2010, 05:46 PM
Sorry to hear that. Get well!

royalfan5
1/5/2010, 06:23 PM
This seems like a good thread to mention when my Grandfather had both legs amputated due to diabetes he just quit wearing pants. However that is because he pursued the **** it I don't care that I have diabetes diet. I wouldn't recommend that.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 06:37 PM
This seems like a good thread to mention when my Grandfather had both legs amputated due to diabetes he just quit wearing pants. However that is because he pursued the **** it I don't care that I have diabetes diet. I wouldn't recommend that.

Aint gonna go that way bro

Im gonna get my *** back in some kinda shape
Besides Round :eek:

adoniijahsooner
1/5/2010, 06:38 PM

Yeah, my Grandpappy had his legs taken as well. Take care of yourself Olevet.

soonerinabilene
1/5/2010, 07:06 PM
cut way back on bread and other high carbs. that helped my dad get his diabetes under control pretty easy.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/5/2010, 07:37 PM
I'm confident that you can continue drinking, vet. You just need to do it before your noon workout at the gym.

Rogue
1/5/2010, 07:46 PM
OV, get that **** service-connected!

Type II DM is a "presumptive" disability for "boots on ground" Vietnam vets secondary to Agent Orange exposure.

Unless you've been 100% for 10 years and your dependents are gay-ron-teed a widow's pension etc. Still, no harm in filing the claim...it's as "sure thing" as it gets working with the VA.

I woulda peem'd this, but I figure someone else may stumble on it that could use the info. New presumptive this year is "ischemic heart disease" which really helped lots of WWII ex-POWs get 100% SC over the years.

I'm not saying your hard drinkin' hard eatin' ways don't need changin'...they do unless you wanna be one of the one-legged d00ds hangin' out in a wheelchair at the VA hospital.

Take care, man.

Chuck Bao
1/5/2010, 07:48 PM
cut way back on bread and other high carbs. that helped my dad get his diabetes under control pretty easy.

Other high carbs being potatoes, noodles, rice, BEER!!!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/5/2010, 07:50 PM
...but seriously, I have high blood sugar too. I cut back on bread, rice, pasta, chips, and sugar. I haven't drank much since I began impregnating my wife.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 07:52 PM
OV, get that **** service-connected!

Type II DM is a "presumptive" disability for "boots on ground" Vietnam vets secondary to Agent Orange exposure.

Unless you've been 100% for 10 years and your dependents are gay-ron-teed a widow's pension etc. Still, no harm in filing the claim...it's as "sure thing" as it gets working with the VA.

I woulda peem'd this, but I figure someone else may stumble on it that could use the info. New presumptive this year is "ischemic heart disease" which really helped lots of WWII ex-POWs get 100% SC over the years.

I'm not saying your hard drinkin' hard eatin' ways don't need changin'...they do unless you wanna be one of the one-legged d00ds hangin' out in a wheelchair at the VA hospital.

Take care, man.

Bro . I been 100% since 92. Aint married so No widows stuff needed .

Yea Im taking this as a wake up to knock off the Crazy drinkin and Eating when ever I want and whatever I find
Thanks Bro

Rogue
1/5/2010, 07:59 PM
A'ight. I hear ya. Are you at least on the Agent Orange registry?
The research about vets exposed to the stuff over there (and other regsitries for other stuff in other wars) may help out some of the other guys. Just sayin'.

Are you a confirmed bachelor these days or between ex-wives? ;)

Rogue
1/5/2010, 08:02 PM
You had to know this would turn up sooner or later...

ILIvPzyK_8I

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 08:03 PM
A'ight. I hear ya. Are you at least on the Agent Orange registry?
The research about vets exposed to the stuff over there (and other regsitries for other stuff in other wars) may help out some of the other guys. Just sayin'.

Are you a confirmed bachelor these days or between ex-wives? ;)

Pretty Much confirmed , Dont think I could find a woman that would put up with me :D

Not sure about the AO registry
I got a small settlement in 92 . is that what ya talking about ?

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 08:10 PM
I guess I kinda Knew something wasnt right
the last few months Ive slowed way down on My beer

Hell Ive got one 30 pack plus Most of a second one in the fridge thats been there for a Month er better .
( Had to stop typing there fer a Min. and stand at Tention ):cool:

Any way ive been just drinkin mostly Ice water fer awhile now
Have had a few brews but not as many .

Still gonna Brew the OVJ fer the TGs tho :D

Rogue
1/5/2010, 08:10 PM
Pretty Much confirmed , Dont think I could find a woman that would put up with me :D

Not sure about the AO registry
I got a small settlement in 92 . is that what ya talking about ?

Nah, that was prolly your backpay for the time between when you filed your claim and when VA processed it.

The AO Registry does a couple of things...it is a huge database for AO exposed vets....and likely the reason that new conditions like the Ischemic Heart Disease (a very generic term BTW) is added to the list of presumptive conditions...because vets exposed to AO are getting it at a higher rate than their non-exposed contemporaries.

If you were on the registry, youd've had a focused physical exam related to exposure to AO and get a regular newsletter from VA about Agent Orange.

They have similar registries for Gulf War vets, vets exposed to Depleted Uranium, etc. Probably going to build one for vets with "embedded fragments" aka shrapnel. Turns out that carrying around some types of metal may not be as healthy for you as a vitamin enema after all.

OK, I'm done with this thread-jack job.

I have a picture in my mind of OV taste testing the OVJ like a wine taster...swishing it around in his mouth and spitting it out...describing how it affects his palette, eating little crackers in between swishes....heh. :D

PS...Oh, the other thing it does is keeps you informed of new things the VA learns about Agent Orange quickly. That's the newsletter dealio.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 08:13 PM
Heh
on the Tasting thing .

Got a Link for the AO Registry ?

OUinFLA
1/5/2010, 08:29 PM
Atkins worked for me.
I lost about 40 in 4 months.
Ate all the bacon, steak, eggs, sugar free ice cream I wanted.
Still went to mcdonalds daily and tossed the bread in the trash and ate the rest of the trash they call a sandwich.

A Sooner in Texas
1/5/2010, 08:38 PM
Vet, you're obviously in battle mode and no doubt you'll succeed. I'll wish you luck but I think you have everything you need, and that's attitude. Just be healthy, ok?

Crucifax Autumn
1/5/2010, 08:38 PM
McDonald's daily and you're alive??????

Anyway, good luck with all that Vet. It will be tough, but worth it.

Petro-Sooner
1/5/2010, 08:45 PM
Best of luck bro! I'm tryin to cut back on the natty as well.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=Rogue;2807821]

They have similar registries for Gulf War vets, vets exposed to Depleted Uranium, etc. Probably going to build one for vets with "embedded fragments" aka shrapnel. Turns out that carrying around some types of metal may not be as healthy for you as a vitamin enema after all.

Heh Funny you mentioned that bro

Last year I woke up with a Blood on My Pillow .
Im Going WTF ?:confused:
Then Notice a small hunk of metal
It apparently worked its way out after all these years
still a few small pieces in the Back of My noggin . :D

Rogue
1/5/2010, 08:55 PM

Of course!
http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/registry.asp

Does the Pope's hat look like a post hole digger?
Yep, here's the VHA handbook:
http://www1.va.gov/VHAPUBLICATIONS/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1474

Does a frog bump itsass when it hops?
Basic AO info:
http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/herbicide/AOno3.htm

Does Mack Brown pat boys on their butts?
Does he then clap about his performance patting the butts?

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/diseases.asp

Does the Pope poop in the woods?

The new presumptive conditions: Hairy Cell Leukemia, Parkinson's, and IHD

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/

btk108
1/5/2010, 08:57 PM
Dayum, Vet. Hate to hear that! SUX!!!! I have an uncle in the same boat, but he sucked it up and lost a bunch of lbs., and now his sugar is normal, no meds, no nuthin'. Have you ever done the Atkins diet? I think it's sposed to be good for diabetes, and you can still eat steak and bacon :) . I'll be your diet buddy if ya want, I need to lose some of that Christmas ham that is now stuck to my bee-hind. Let me know, we could do weigh-ins and everything if ya want. In the meantime, go tell your doc your back hurts like hell, and maybe he'll give ya some pills to take the place of the Natty Lite.:D ;) :P

It's all about the booty with her. Make her send you pics, bud, that otter be an incentive ;)

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 09:16 PM
Damn Vet, that sucks. Take care of yourself! We want you around for a long time!

SunnySooner
1/5/2010, 09:45 PM
Ok, this AO crap reminded me of this...does this need its own thread?

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/military.htm

If you served in the military between 1940 and 2001, you may be deserving of credits applied to your eligible Social Security income, which could affect the amount of monthly SS you receive when you retire. Worth cking out if you are retired or about to retire. You don't get it unless you ask, and it helped my dad and some of my uncles get a little bump in their checks.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 09:56 PM
I sent the Link to a friend of Mine
Thanks
Never heard of that deal

bluedogok
1/5/2010, 11:43 PM
Good luck with that, my dad went through it for a few years but after he lost weight the diabetes problem went away...but he lost alot of weight through methods he didn't care to go through or ever do again, Diverticulitis. Even before that though he had lost some weight and got it pretty manageable.

SoonerJack
1/6/2010, 08:44 AM
man, a lot of guys on here have dad's with adult onset diabetes. count me in on that one too. My pop developed it around his late 50's and was able to control with diet and exercise for a long time.

Then he just couldn't stand it and started hitting the sauce. Yep. Gravy. Just couldn't stay away from the stuff. That was when he had to get on an insulin program.

Good luck, buddy. You can do this.

OUDoc
1/6/2010, 09:41 AM
Good luck, Vet. Remember to always take diabetes seriously.
I have no doubts that if you put your mind to it, you'll get your sugars down.

Soonerus
1/6/2010, 10:15 AM
Good luck Ole, you can handle this stuff...

Bourbon St Sooner
1/6/2010, 12:22 PM
I can't wait for the OleVet Teatotler-town threads:)

Good luck vet.

olevetonahill
1/6/2010, 01:16 PM

Good luck vet.

Heh :D

AlbqSooner
1/6/2010, 03:00 PM

Good luck vet.

IN.:D :D

OKC-SLC
1/6/2010, 03:07 PM
It's likely to be largely a matter of losing the weight.

OUDoc is right--it's a whole lot easier to prevent DM complications than treat them.

olevetonahill
1/6/2010, 03:11 PM
It's likely to be largely a matter of losing the weight.

OUDoc is right--it's a whole lot easier to prevent DM complications than treat them.

Im gonna try to get down to My Highschool weight of 185 190. Means Ive got to lose 50 Lbs
Ive become a Fatass in the last few years :mad:

The good thing tho is the stuff they want me to eat is stuff that I like anyway

Vegies and fruit . I just never buy it
Gonna start today . going to the store in a little while :cool:

soonermix
1/6/2010, 05:46 PM
good luck with the diet
and if that doesn't work run some OVJ on it that should work

olevetonahill
1/6/2010, 05:57 PM
good luck with the diet
and if that doesn't work run some OVJ on it that should work

I think The Nattys been the Prob
Prolly should Just do the OVJ
Oh well Im gonna cut it all out untill I get this under control

Would just Hit some Ganja But that wouldnt help My Diet much :D

Thanks Every one

Collier11
1/6/2010, 06:01 PM
Vet im somewhat with ya bro so you got a partner in crime if you need one. Im relatively healthy although id like to lose about 20-25lbs for my own sake. I do have diabetes and heart disease that run in my family so im trying to keep it under control early.

Recently changed my diet, slowing down on drinking til football season, no sweets, less pop and more green tea and water, and more time at the gym.

olevetonahill
1/6/2010, 06:06 PM
Vet im somewhat with ya bro so you got a partner in crime if you need one. Im relatively healthy although id like to lose about 20-25lbs for my own sake. I do have diabetes and heart disease that run in my family so im trying to keep it under control early.

Recently changed my diet, slowing down on drinking til football season, no sweets, less pop and more green tea and water, and more time at the gym.

Good for you Bro, Ya need to Join our Biggest Loser deal at the Hideout. Some ones gonna win a nice prize Not sure what its gonna be yet . But Ill make sure its Cool

Far as I know My heart is in decent shape
Cholesterol Is a tad high But not by much

Good Luck to ya bro

Collier11
1/6/2010, 06:18 PM
Def, all of that runs in my fam so just want to make sure it doesnt hit me. It always helps to have support as well

nmsoonergirl
1/6/2010, 08:28 PM
Vet, seriously DON'T underestimate the power of even a tiny bit of exercise. Walking for 30 minutes a day, even if you don't lose weight, has been shown to really help control diabetes.
Hang in there and take care of yourself. I need you around to keep answering car repair questions for me!

Curly Bill
1/6/2010, 08:49 PM
Pulling for ya Vet.

I don't doubt you're up to doing what needs to be done.

Tailwind
1/6/2010, 10:06 PM
May the Force be with you Vet!

swardboy
1/7/2010, 09:24 AM
I will only add my two cents worth that Atkins does wonders for the blood sugar, let alone weight loss. I know a woman in Alabama who got off her insulin due to it. The one problem is that you have to stay true to it. One foot in and one foot out, and you'll baloon up.