PDA

View Full Version : Franks to NFL

NorthernIowaSooner
1/5/2010, 01:51 PM
Oklahoma junior cornerback Dominique Franks said Tuesday he will enter the next NFL draft.

"It's what's best," Franks said. "I can shut down one side of the field and I study and work hard enough to know what's coming.

"I'm going to start training today to get stronger and make sure all my techniques are great for the [NFL scouting] combine," he said.

Franks, at 6-foot-1 and 196 pounds, had two interceptions, returning one for a touchdown, and 47 tackles (33 solo) for the Sooners in 2009. In 2008 he had four interceptions and returned an interception and a fumble each for touchdowns.

badger
1/5/2010, 01:57 PM
Where did you see this?

NorthernIowaSooner
1/5/2010, 01:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4798207

badger
1/5/2010, 02:00 PM
Ah, because I was seeing all sorts of reports that Franks was staying another year not too long ago.

Not that I mind him leaving. I still cry "Awwww, Franks" whenever the RRS is mentioned :(

OK2U
1/5/2010, 02:05 PM
Bad move, IMO.

goingoneight
1/5/2010, 02:10 PM
Do we still have that Damikay Franks CBS mentioned twice? :D

Boomer.....
1/5/2010, 02:11 PM
Do we still have that Damikay Franks CBS mentioned twice? :D

He was good. :D

goingoneight
1/5/2010, 02:17 PM
He's not as good as that DeMarcus Murphy running back Lou Holtz said we had, though. :D

XFollower
1/5/2010, 02:18 PM
Dumb move. I never thought he was all that great. Good but not great.

Collier11
1/5/2010, 02:19 PM
he has always wanted the money, hopefully he will wise up but I doubt it

Boomer.....
1/5/2010, 02:20 PM
He's not as good as that DeMarcus Murphy running back Lou Holtz said we had, though. :D

Are you sure that wasn't Bob Barry Sr.?

My Opinion Matters
1/5/2010, 02:20 PM
Dumb move. I never thought he was all that great. Good but not great.

Right, because you know what's better for these kids than they do.

goingoneight
1/5/2010, 02:23 PM
I love it how people on a message board think they know what a good choice is for a potential pro prospect.

Maybe... just maybe he took a good, long look at Sam and Jermaine and thought to himself "my ligaments can tear just as easy as anyone else's."

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2010, 02:25 PM
I never got the impression that the NFL rated him that highly.

Collier11
1/5/2010, 02:25 PM
or maybe his family situation is such that they need the money, 1st rd or 4th rd

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2010, 02:27 PM

Sometimes it is very difficult for players to judge their own capabilities. If I was Franks, I would ask his coaches.

Was Franks all-conference?

My Opinion Matters
I love it how people on a message board think they know what a good choice is for a potential pro prospect.

Maybe... just maybe he took a good, long look at Sam and Jermaine and thought to himself "my ligaments can tear just as easy as anyone else's."

Dude, that kind of rational and cogent logic has no place on these here internets.

SoonerMavrick25
Congrats...Get your money while you can, and then once you get cut come play for the YardDawgs!!! Bring on Trice, Hurst, and Lynn.

My Opinion Matters
1/5/2010, 02:29 PM
Franks isn't a first-round guy, but he's a solid pro prospect. I doubt another season would have improved his stock much.

fwsooner22
1/5/2010, 02:40 PM
Aren't the internet and message boards great !!!!!

XFollower
1/5/2010, 02:40 PM

Glad you agree. :)

Soonerus
1/5/2010, 02:47 PM
Mistake, imo but I wish him well. I am excited at the prospect of watching Hurst play...

SoonerMavrick25
1/5/2010, 02:49 PM
Glad you agree. :)

Yeah Xfollower... don't you know that message boards are NO PLACE for opinions!!! JEEZZZZ lol.... I agree... Smith>Franks...

And we have seen... well not really... what Smith can do! or is doing!

Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2009
Tackles 4
Sacks 0
Interceptions 0

But he is collecting that all mighty pay check!!! Get it while you can!

SoonerMavrick25
1/5/2010, 02:49 PM
Mistake, imo but I wish him well. I am excited at the prospect of watching Hurst play...

PLUS one!

sooneredaco
1/5/2010, 02:54 PM
Hey if he feels he's ready.... do it! Go get you money son.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 02:55 PM
good luck to him

NormanPride
1/5/2010, 03:01 PM
Yup. Time to see if we can get a corner that pays attention all the time. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 03:03 PM
He isn't gonna grow any more..get any faster...his biggest problem is concentration issues...

SoonerDood
1/5/2010, 03:07 PM
2nd coming of Reggie Smith? Except he plays CB a lot better.

badger
1/5/2010, 03:13 PM
It's not our money and it's not our future, it's just our fandom. :)

Acknowledging that I will never be Mel Kiper, nor will I ever project more than 32 players to be taken in the first round then claim them to be "steals" when one of those 33-100 players falls to the second round, I think this is both good and bad.

Good, because there soon will be no salary cap, a projected rookie salary maximum similar to the NBA, and thus, and an expected work stoppage soon.

Bad, because like Jimmie Wilkerson a few years ago, he probably could go higher if he stayed in college longer and will probably not go until a later round.

Again, I'm no Mel Kiper (thank gawd), but for a team that ends up just having to pay him the rookie minimum after drafting him in the seventh round or so, definitely a "steal" because of how he will develop later on.

Besides... he'll get taken before Tim Tebow :D

Collier11
1/5/2010, 03:31 PM
even having said that, Wilkerson has put together a decent NFL career and has made millions of dollars doing it, not big time millions but millions none the less

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 03:39 PM
I don't know him or his family situation..sometimes in these situations, its a must...other times, its "friends" filling you full of junk....sometimes a guy has no desire to graduate from college and is ready to move on

SoonerShark
1/5/2010, 03:40 PM
Games are for kids. The NFL is boring. Good luck to all. Thank you for your time in Norman.

IronHorseSooner
1/5/2010, 03:41 PM
Who will OUr starting CBs be? I have Hurst replacing Jackson. Would it be Harris, Lynn, or somebody else? Is there a possibility we move one of safeties over?

OKC-SLC
1/5/2010, 03:46 PM
I hope he makes millions in the NFL. Good luck to all Sooners.

I also hope the advice he is getting is good.

Collier11
1/5/2010, 03:56 PM
I don't know him or his family situation..sometimes in these situations, its a must...other times, its "friends" filling you full of junk....sometimes a guy has no desire to graduate from college and is ready to move on

you must be an expert on friends filling you full of "junk"

SunnySooner
1/5/2010, 04:01 PM
I hope he makes millions in the NFL. Good luck to all Sooners.

I also hope the advice he is getting is good.

This. Wish him all the best.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 04:02 PM
you make an excellent container for it

JLEW1818
1/5/2010, 04:08 PM

must be a money issue. I don't see him in the first 2 rounds.

Thanks for your hard work Dom. I enjoyed being obsessed with you.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/5/2010, 04:16 PM
from soonersports.com

Dominique Franks Opts for NFL
The Tulsa native started all 13 games at cornerback for the Sooners this season.

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma cornerback Dominique Franks has notified Sooner coaches that he plans to forgo his senior season of eligibility to enter the NFL Draft. OU Head Coach Bob Stoops made that announcement today.

“We wish Dom all the best and I hope at some point that he’ll also be back to complete his degree,” Stoops said.

Franks played in 39 games during his career with 27 starting assignments. He wraps up his career with 60 tackles and six interceptions. The Tulsa native scored three touchdowns during his career, two on interception returns and another on a fumble return. He also returned 29 punts for 346 yards.

Last season, Franks started all 13 games. He compiled 42 tackles and two interceptions. He was named All-Big 12 by the conference’s coaches.

TexasLidig8r
1/5/2010, 04:29 PM
I've got an attorney friend who does some small time sports agency work.

He tells me that the negotiations with the players union which have been going on are far more contentious and worse than what has come to light.

Apparently, there are two battle fronts being fought here.. One, is between the big market "rich" owners and small market owners. The issue is split in television revenue and percentage of gate payouts. This apparently is a huge issue.

The other is between the ownership and the players union. The main issue seems to be the split in revenue from the television contracts and gate receipts, with the players union wanting a far greater percentage.

Other issues include free agency and of course, salary caps. There is little doubt that a rookie salary cap is in the cards but of greater concern is the very real possibility there will be no football in 2011.

The hurdles to overcome are very formidable and are present on different fronts.

Apparently, some owners obtained insurance from a Lloyds underwriter years ago to address the issue of a strike and others did not.

2010 is an uncapped year (allegedly negotiated to prevent the union from conducting a walk out prior to 2011). But, post 2010, you can expect to see a rookie salary cap, an overall team salary cap and revamped salary structures where owners may not be able to cut players and simply accelerate the up front bonuses into the year the player was cut.

The long and the short.. there are going to be a number of college athletes who go for the money now... instead of waiting.

badger
1/5/2010, 04:35 PM
Lid, appreciate the legal insight.

I love football and wish there was more football to be enjoyed. Alas, there is no more XFL, no more USFL, no more NFL Europe and recently, there wasn't arena ball. There was just the NFL, some Canadian league without a television deal here and college.

That being said, I wish that the money in the league didn't explode to the level it did. Ticket prices are outta control, merchandise prices are also high, and salaries are at unprecedented levels.

A year off might bring that back down to reality... or even better, get an upstart league to start playing spring ball again to fill the void.

JLEW1818
1/5/2010, 04:39 PM
Lid u in cali?

Frozen Sooner
1/5/2010, 04:39 PM
Hey, maybe we could get another strike year. Those are always fun-you get to see pro teams running all kinds of crazy offenses.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/5/2010, 04:51 PM
The thing about "going for the money" is I don't think you're getting any guaranteed money unless you're a first round pick. Dom isn't a first round pick that I'm aware of so he still has to make a team.

Collier11
1/5/2010, 04:51 PM
Thats the NBA, every draft pick thru the 7 rds gets a signing bonus if they sign. Case in point, Bomar got a $185k bonus for being a 5th rd pick

ndpruitt03
1/5/2010, 04:56 PM
I don't really have a problem with Dom Franks going. I think he should have stayed but if he feels he should go he should go.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 05:02 PM
Dom will make a team probably...I don't see him returning kicks/punts in the NFL, but as a special teamer at first

KantoSooner
1/5/2010, 05:05 PM

must be a money issue. I don't see him in the first 2 rounds.

Thanks for your hard work Dom. I enjoyed being obsessed with you.

So, the big question is: who is your obsession for next season? If not decided, is there at least a slate of candidates? Can we all vote on who will obsess you?

JLEW1818
1/5/2010, 05:10 PM
i think R.J. should get another shot ? hehe :D

TexasLidig8r
Lid u in cali?

Flight leaves tomorrow!

Bourbon St Sooner
Thats the NBA, every draft pick thru the 7 rds gets a signing bonus if they sign. Case in point, Bomar got a $185k bonus for being a 5th rd pick

Yeah, but isn't it customary for 1st round guys to sign contracts with guaranteed money (negotiated, not something set up by the league)? I don't think lower round guys are getting anything guaranteed. They have to make the team to draw anything on their contracts. I could be wrong. I'm no expert on this stuff.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 05:13 PM
yeah, guaranteed money is a relatively new thing included in a lot of the early 1st rounder contracts...He'll get a signing bonus, plus a check during workouts and heck even if he is a practice squader, its a little over 3000 a week...

SoonerStormchaser
1/5/2010, 05:24 PM
Stupid move...just like Malcolm Kelly, Curtis Lawson and Reggie Smith...

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 05:24 PM
yeah, guaranteed money is a relatively new thing included in a lot of the early 1st rounder contracts...He'll get a signing bonus, plus a check during workouts and heck even if he is a practice squader, its a little over 3000 a week...

I think I could live on that :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 05:27 PM
How could any of those guys benefited from staying SSC? just wondering...

Pricetag
1/5/2010, 05:28 PM
Dang, I was hoping to get another year out of Dom.

adoniijahsooner
1/5/2010, 05:29 PM

I know a Curtis Lawson from this gas station I go to, but when I asked if he played for OU, he just gave me a quizzical look.:D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 05:30 PM
if he went from the football field to the gas station, then it was a stupid move for this curtis lawson

Collier11

Malcom Kelly had to go due to knee issues, Curtis Lofton has started for 2 years in the NFL now and shoulda been a pro bowler this yr, Reggie is the only one who I think coulda benefited from another year

MojoRisen
Lofton starts and went in the 2nd round, good decision for him and I think he got like over 2 million guranteed. That could pay for a house and several cars and food for some 25 years! Figure if he got hurt and made even 1--K a year that would have taken him 30 years to earn 2 million dollars.

Dom will be drafted in the top 3 rounds if he shows well at the combine with a 44 ....

Monster Zero
Godspeed, Mr. Franks.

Go make some money and invest it wisely.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 05:31 PM
I can see that...Reggie was a man without a true position..but with the slow time he ran, it wouldn't have mattered..he's still on a team and getting his money, so..

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2010, 05:31 PM
Dom will be drafted in the top 3 rounds if he shows well at the combine with a 44 ....

Thats what concerns me...if he is another db slower than advertised

Collier11
1/5/2010, 05:32 PM
For once ive heard Dom actually runs legit 40 times unlike Lendy and Reggie

Collier11
1/5/2010, 05:34 PM
FWIW,

Reggie has made $1.5 mil in two years barely playing

Lofton has made $3.3 million and is a legit starter

Kelly has made $2.3 million and is finally seeing the field

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

ouleaf
1/5/2010, 05:38 PM
Are those really his measurables that they quoted? 6'1" 196 or whatever? If that is really the case, he might have a chance to get on the depth chart at Free Safety or maybe a Nickel Corner depending on which team he winds up with. If it's not, then he'd better be able to contribute on Special Teams somehow.

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2010, 05:39 PM

Shades of Jarboe?

soonervegas
1/5/2010, 05:59 PM
FWIW,

Reggie has made $1.5 mil in two years barely playing

Lofton has made $3.3 million and is a legit starter

Kelly has made $2.3 million and is finally seeing the field

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

Some of you would do a lot worse to the University.....for a lot less.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2010, 06:02 PM

that is one side of the equation, the other side is that "my ligaments can tear a heck of a lot easier in the NFL" how do i maximize how much i make before that happens.

yermom
1/5/2010, 06:07 PM
those don't really seem like gaudy numbers, but we'll miss him

good luck

cjames317
1/5/2010, 06:40 PM

Apparently, there are two battle fronts being fought here.. One, is between the big market "rich" owners and small market owners. The issue is split in television revenue and percentage of gate payouts. This apparently is a huge issue.

The other is between the ownership and the players union. The main issue seems to be the split in revenue from the television contracts and gate receipts, with the players union wanting a far greater percentage.

Other issues include free agency and of course, salary caps. There is little doubt that a rookie salary cap is in the cards but of greater concern is the very real possibility there will be no football in 2011....

Got an opinion whether the antitrust suit against the NFL (American Needle v. NFL, pending in the U.S. Supreme Court) affects this?

I Am Right
1/5/2010, 06:43 PM
See Ya!

VA Sooner
1/5/2010, 09:06 PM
I've got an attorney friend who does some small time sports agency work.

He tells me that the negotiations with the players union which have been going on are far more contentious and worse than what has come to light.

Other issues include free agency and of course, salary caps. There is little doubt that a rookie salary cap is in the cards but of greater concern is the very real possibility there will be no football in 2011.

The hurdles to overcome are very formidable and are present on different fronts.

Apparently, some owners obtained insurance from a Lloyds underwriter years ago to address the issue of a strike and others did not.

2010 is an uncapped year (allegedly negotiated to prevent the union from conducting a walk out prior to 2011). But, post 2010, you can expect to see a rookie salary cap, an overall team salary cap and revamped salary structures where owners may not be able to cut players and simply accelerate the up front bonuses into the year the player was cut.

The long and the short.. there are going to be a number of college athletes who go for the money now... instead of waiting.

My friends and I were just talking about the whole salary cap issue and the possible lack of football in 2011. We weren't completely understanding the implications of the cap and how tough the negotiations were going. Thanks for the clarification, Lid.

Jdog
1/5/2010, 10:16 PM
he made some good plays but he was out of position a lot and got burned.
Wish him luck but he ain't ready.

bluedogok
1/5/2010, 11:04 PM
I love football and wish there was more football to be enjoyed. Alas, there is no more XFL, no more USFL, no more NFL Europe and recently, there wasn't arena ball. There was just the NFL, some Canadian league without a television deal here and college.
I have Directv and the Sports Pack which is all the Regional Sports Networks and they have quite a few of the CFL games on during the season on some of them, I don't recall seeing any games on FSN-SW but Altitude (Denver RSN) has a few games a week. There was also the inaugural UFL (http://www.ufl-football.com/) season this fall but it was on Versus, which I don't have on Directv right now so I didn't see any of it

That being said, I wish that the money in the league didn't explode to the level it did. Ticket prices are outta control, merchandise prices are also high, and salaries are at unprecedented levels.

A year off might bring that back down to reality... or even better, get an upstart league to start playing spring ball again to fill the void.
Everything that I have read or heard is pretty much what Lid posted, odds are there will be a lockout akin to the NHL one a few seasons ago for the 2011 season unless some hard headed people on all sides all of a sudden realize what they do have instead of concentrating on what they don't have.

There is a big difference between the NFL and NHL situations, the NFL is a cash machine and the NHL was a sidewalk hot dog stand money wise and salaries were getting out of hand for what poor TV contracts they had and still have.

TXBOOMER
1/5/2010, 11:15 PM

It has gotten to the point now that I expect pro prospects to leave when eligible if they can play. We may as well stop redshirting skill players unless they get hurt. I don't blame them, get the money while it is there. Many leave early but there is no way of knowing.

chad
1/6/2010, 12:10 AM
he has always wanted the money, hopefully he will wise up but I doubt it

I've met him multiple times when I worked with his mother. It wasn't all about money in that family and you can bet his mom will make sure he finished that degree. She was busting her *** so he could attend could live his life dedicated to football.

I'm sure the money factored into the decision, I mean...that is essentially the decision players are making; however, I seriously doubt it was a quick decision and all about the money.

I haven't spoken with him or his mother since his freshman year.

Read this article to get a slight glimpse into Dom's life before you belittle his decisions and accomplishments.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/05/AR2009010502787.html

SanJoaquinSooner
1/6/2010, 12:27 AM
I think he'll make someone's roster.

MyT Oklahoma
1/6/2010, 12:57 AM
I wish him the best. Thanks for the memories.

Collier11
1/6/2010, 12:57 AM
I've met him multiple times when I worked with his mother. It wasn't all about money in that family and you can bet his mom will make sure he finished that degree. She was busting her *** so he could attend could live his life dedicated to football.

I'm sure the money factored into the decision, I mean...that is essentially the decision players are making; however, I seriously doubt it was a quick decision and all about the money.

I haven't spoken with him or his mother since his freshman year.

Read this article to get a slight glimpse into Dom's life before you belittle his decisions and accomplishments.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/05/AR2009010502787.html

I wasnt belittling anyone, what I was saying and what many on here have heard before is that Dom had it in his mind to get to the NFL as soon as he could. The reason I said hopefully he will wise up is because I dont think he will be a 1st rd draft pick, not even close most likely

MamaMia
1/6/2010, 01:35 AM
Of course we all wish him the very best. Our number of injured this season was so horrifically high; shocking to say the least. I'm not saying that Dom's decision to leave took that fact into account, however I can certainly understand how it could have an impact on ones decision to go pro.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/6/2010, 05:58 AM
I never got the impression that the NFL rated him that highly.

Me neither

adoniijahsooner
1/6/2010, 06:44 AM
Me neither

I often wonder how players can say without question they will be coming back to school; and then out of the blue they change their minds. Agents? Money? Idk, but I think Dom should have stayed.

soonerlaw
1/6/2010, 09:35 AM

Malcom Kelly went to OU? I thought he went to Longview H.S. :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
1/6/2010, 09:48 AM
The thing is that even if he came back, he wouldn't be rated any higher next year....If a guy has peaked, why come back?

I was encouraged that Stoops said he expected Dom to come back and finish his degree later.

sooneron
1/6/2010, 09:52 AM

Really? You know that for sure? B/c Reggie played CB ONE SEASON and was then shoe horned (paging Eric Bassey) into a safety position due to needs there.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/6/2010, 11:15 AM
article on the tulsa world said dominique got graded a second rounder by the committee that gives them judgement about where they could go.

not sure i would leave to be a second round pick but would still get a nice check if he went that early.

not sure if his stock would improve if he came back but i doubt it would get worse

goingoneight
1/6/2010, 12:02 PM
Sometimes it is very difficult for players to judge their own capabilities. If I was Franks, I would ask his coaches.

Was Franks all-conference?

I don't think he was... but AD wasn't all-conference in 2006, and look at him versus the two cats at Kansas City who were 1st and 2nd Team All-BIG 12.

If he got a favorable grade and he needs the money, why would he want to stay in school and risk injury? As smart as Sam Bradford is, he's got to be telling his friends to be smart given what happened to him. To add, Adrian Taylor, Jermaine Gresham, Ryan Reynolds... the list goes on. Franks has size, speed and skill. He may not even get drafted if next year OUr D-Line allows BIG 12 QBs to roast him.

JLEW1818
1/6/2010, 12:31 PM
here is what Walterfootball says about him

Dominique Franks, CB, Oklahoma
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
Projected Round (2010): 2.
The same Dominique Franks who called out Tim Tebow for being overrated. Aside from playing well at Oklahoma, Franks has nice size and speed. He'll probably be targeted in Round 2.

rawlingsHOH
1/6/2010, 12:39 PM
Good luck, Franks.

I can definitely see you being an NFL corner!

Outstanding player for OU.

rawlingsHOH
1/6/2010, 12:45 PM

Reggie was a fanstastic corner for OU in 2007. (Safety in 05/06)

His statistics were amazing. Something like a 30% completion percentage and 300 yards allowed for the season.

He was a poor punt returner.

My Opinion Matters
1/6/2010, 12:48 PM
I don't get all the people saying Brian Jackson is the better prospect of the two. Really? Do you watch the same game of football as I do?

rawlingsHOH
1/6/2010, 12:52 PM
I don't get all the people saying Brian Jackson is the better prospect of the two. Really? Do you watch the same game of football as I do?
Jackson has the size. Franks has the speed. The NFL favors the later.

I see Franks as a second or third rounder. Jackson, maybe fifth or sixth.

Hopefully they are both healthy enough to get some good sprint training in, to perfect their 40 techniques.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/6/2010, 01:00 PM
Jackson is probably 3rd to 4th unless he can run a faster 40....

Jackson is a pretty solid ST'r as well so that gives him a good advantage on some other corners

Jackson had a terrible TT game but had a great game matched up with Shipley from texas..Very solid, more physical corner

Collier11
1/6/2010, 01:06 PM
I don't think he was... but AD wasn't all-conference in 2006, and look at him versus the two cats at Kansas City who were 1st and 2nd Team All-BIG 12.

Not that it matters but im pretty certain that AD was 3 time all conf

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=106181&SPID=13139&DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1520155

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=106181&SPID=13139&DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1520925

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=106181&SPID=13139&DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1521513

Yep, I was right :D

My Opinion Matters
1/6/2010, 01:11 PM
I've also viewed Franks as a pretty good cover corner, with pretty good instincts. I think he has trusted his instincts a little too much in the past, guessed wrong, and gotten burned by it a few times. Some people call it a lack of concentration.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2010, 01:26 PM
Reggie was a fanstastic corner for OU in 2007. (Safety in 05/06)

His statistics were amazing. Something like a 30% completion percentage and 300 yards allowed for the season.

He was a poor punt returner.

you know, stats after the fact are amazing. i seem to recall other teams just living on his inability to press the slant. it seemed anytime an opponent needed a first down, they threw it right into the seam between he and the linebacker.

rawlingsHOH
1/7/2010, 02:10 PM
you know, stats after the fact are amazing. i seem to recall other teams just living on his inability to press the slant. it seemed anytime an opponent needed a first down, they threw it right into the seam between he and the linebacker.
That had more to do with the lack of range of the WILL backer, who was coming off another knee surgery.

Later in that season we started to see Lew Baker play some WILL on passing situations.

Venables also played the corners in a lot of softer looks that year, a lot of Cover 3/4. It's a lot easier to jump a slant in a 2.

sooneron
1/7/2010, 04:12 PM

I guess not. If you have a few games recorded and go back and watch, you will rarely hear Jackson's name mentioned. THAT is a good thing for a corner.

I watched him in person and he was a much better press corner.

ndpruitt03
1/7/2010, 04:47 PM
I guess not. If you have a few games recorded and go back and watch, you will rarely hear Jackson's name mentioned. THAT is a good thing for a corner.

Our corners played pretty good for the most part this year. Our safeties and LBs were a little weak in coverage that was really the weakness of the defense.

rawlingsHOH
1/7/2010, 05:04 PM

Jackson had a horrendous stretch in the middle of '08, Texas, Kan, KSU, I believe.

He was much better this year. Had a great season. One really poor game, was it Tech? Can't remember.