PDA

View Full Version : If you know someone on the fence about joing the military...

Okla-homey
1/5/2010, 07:39 AM
Yet another reason for a young person to consider serving in America's military. Aside of course from the obvious desire to serve his/her fellow Americans in their time of need.

We're closing on our new casa today. Using our VA benefit. Thirty year fixed loan on up to $417,000, no points, no fees, zero down, 4.75%. That's right, you can buy up to a $417,000 house with a VA loan for absolutely nothing out-of-pocket.

That's not to mention a free bachelors degree with a healthy monthly living expense stipend for those who want one, eligibility for both the mortgage and education benefits are only one honorably served three-year enlistment away.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 08:19 AM
Yet another reason for a young person to consider serving in America's military. Aside of course from the obvious desire to serve his/her fellow Americans in their time of need.

We're closing on our new casa today. Using our VA benefit. Thirty year fixed loan on up to $417,000, no points, no fees, zero down, 4.75%. That's right, you can buy up to a $417,000 house with a VA loan for absolutely nothing out-of-pocket.

That's not to mention a free bachelors degree with a healthy monthly living expense stipend for those who want one, eligibility for both the mortgage and education benefits are only one honorably served three-year enlistment away.

Let me ask you this in all seriousness, hypothetically, do you suppose the army would accept a 27 year old guy who is 5'4", weighs 90 lbs, has a slight touch of diabetes, has absolutely ZERO muscle tone, and once suffered a complete break/severing of his femur bone? I'm told the total femur break is a deal-breaker, but I've never though to ask officially.

afs
1/5/2010, 08:39 AM
we're increasing troop numbers in Afghanistan - the US Army would love to have you.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 08:42 AM
There are a Lot of Jobs you could do. Not every one can be a Grunt.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 08:46 AM
There are a Lot of Jobs you could do. Not every one can be a Grunt.

Yeah, but I'm not even sure I'd make it out of basic alive. My preference would be for the armored corps though.

SoonerJack
1/5/2010, 09:00 AM
Sicem I have a friend who is in the Army and she barely weighs more than you. She made it through basic just fine. She plays the oboe in one of the Army bands and is as happy as a clam with military service.

soonerbrat
1/5/2010, 09:07 AM
Let me ask you this in all seriousness, hypothetically, do you suppose the army would accept a 27 year old guy who is 5'4", weighs 90 lbs, has a slight touch of diabetes, has absolutely ZERO muscle tone, and once suffered a complete break/severing of his femur bone? I'm told the total femur break is a deal-breaker, but I've never though to ask officially.

the possibility is exactly 0% if you never even ask. you never know. And as far as basic training is concerned, if Melo can do it, you can do it. Air force is a little shorter than army or navy. your size would be suited for a submarine job.

soonerbrat
1/5/2010, 09:08 AM
oh, and the last time I checked, they'll take people til they're 35. The police department will take people up to age 45.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 09:39 AM
Brat i think they rasied that to 42 . Not sure

But another reason to consider Joining up
Ya geta Dayum JOB and great training . Heard the pay is a tad better than the 66 bucks a month I got :eek:

soonerbrat
1/5/2010, 09:40 AM
Brat i think they rasied that to 42 . Not sure

But another reason to consider Joining up
Ya geta Dayum JOB and great training . Heard the pay is a tad better than the 66 bucks a month I got :eek:

ah cool. I considered Navy reserves when I was in my mid 20's. but that was a LONG time ago.

soonerbrat
1/5/2010, 09:41 AM
the possibility is exactly 0% if you never even ask. you never know. And as far as basic training is concerned, if Melo can do it, you can do it. Air force is a little shorter than army or navy. your size would be suited for a submarine job.

not that I meant there are submarines in the air force. I meant...if you want a shorter basic training, go for air force....if you decided on navy, you could be a submarine dude.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 09:52 AM
Go Delta Force
Dont be a pussie :D

Jello Biafra
1/5/2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah, but I'm not even sure I'd make it out of basic alive. My preference would be for the armored corps though.

you'd never make it.

at your size, id try signal corps. not being mean. if those are your true dimensions, you are the perfect height as opposed to me being the worst possible height but your weight is terrible. if you weighed 20 lbs more you would be dangerously thin.

think: 3 am on an alert carrying 180 lbs worth of gear, weapons and your hung over arse a mile and a half to the motor pool...

Jello Biafra
1/5/2010, 10:24 AM
i think the smallest guy in our basic training unit was about 140lbs. 18 weeks of constant training and PT will take a toll on your body lol.

Harry Beanbag
1/5/2010, 11:14 AM
90 lbs?

Tulsa_Fireman
1/5/2010, 11:24 AM
You could do it.

Just tell the recruiter your MOS is 'flag' or 'handkerchief'. Maybe 'toothpick'.

RacerX
1/5/2010, 11:28 AM
90 lbs?

He must've put on some weight since the last tailgate.

Viking Kitten
1/5/2010, 11:34 AM
The meerkat is his power animal.

OU4LIFE
1/5/2010, 11:35 AM
and I don't think he plays thee Oboe.

flute, maybe.

SteelClip49
1/5/2010, 11:55 AM
my cousin who is in the National Guard says the benefits of joining are great. He always says though...to get those benefits just watch your step and don't die.

I'd be a wimp, lol. I workout a lot but needed a change. He has me on an Army workout plan and in just 2 weeks I have gained some muscle and lost some weight and cannot move!

Sooner04
1/5/2010, 12:01 PM
do you suppose the army would accept a 27 year old guy who is 5'4", weighs 90 lbs
I've seen the future. And it isn't pretty.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/56/Mr_Burns.png

soonerbrat
1/5/2010, 12:25 PM
oh wait...i forgot he is a guy.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2010, 12:29 PM
sicem,

seriously, do you eat?

im just asking. i have a 6 year old who has very little body fat and wrestles at 52 lbs. my 12 year old is 5'5" and wrestles at 130. they eat at least every two hours when they are at the hizzle.

yermom
1/5/2010, 12:34 PM
he used to eat Toastettes, but they don't make them anymore :(

soonerboomer93
1/5/2010, 01:40 PM

well melo has bigger balls then baylor boy

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 02:05 PM
sicem,

seriously, do you eat?

im just asking. i have a 6 year old who has very little body fat and wrestles at 52 lbs. my 12 year old is 5'5" and wrestles at 130. they eat at least every two hours when they are at the hizzle.

Yep. I eat. I've just never been able to gain any weight. I could eat 3000 calories a day and I wouldn't put on a pound.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 02:06 PM
sicem,

seriously, do you eat?

Good God, your 12 year old kid is bigger than I am. I'm more than twice his age.

fadada1
1/5/2010, 02:20 PM

HELLOOOOOOOO, AIR FORCE!!!!

:D

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 02:34 PM
No, if I ever went military then I'd follow the family tradition and go Army. I'd be 5th generation.

Obviously, I would assume they'd never put me in combat although I'd like an assignment with the tank corps. I would think my size would do well in a tank.

However, my real question is if they'd accept me at all. And, yes, that is my real size.

My ring size is 4.5

Pricetag
1/5/2010, 02:42 PM
Wow, I thought a mod edited the weight down to 90 as a joke.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/5/2010, 04:01 PM
I agree with the previous poster and say they'd find a way to put you in something long, hard, and full of seamen.

fadada1
1/5/2010, 04:16 PM
do we need tunnel rats anymore???

sicem, you do know they make shakes that have 6000+ calories, right? might i suggest membership to GNC.

Partial Qualifier
1/5/2010, 04:35 PM
I had a hard time gaining weight until I turned 30.

SunnySooner
1/5/2010, 06:04 PM
Sicem, you sound like my mom-in-law--she wears little girl jeans, smaller than a size 0, eats like a pig. Inefficient metabolism, meaning your body requires tons of calories to perform basic functions. I'm hoping my daughter inherited some of that.

Anyway, as to military service, there are ways to go in as an officer, ya know. If you can run sophisticated equipment, you can navigate a ship, and it doesn't matter how tall you are.

The Navy has been very good to my family. We've taken advantage of the VA loan program too. And my daughter that was born extremely premature, spent weeks and weeks in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, with hundreds of expensive tests, and medications involved? We brought her home owing exactly nothing in medical bills, zero, zip, nada, zilch. And she received such good care, she is perfectly healthy 5 years later. That alone is worth about 20 years of service, imo.

Viking Kitten
1/5/2010, 06:57 PM
Personally, I'm hoping for a famine so I can show all you little skinny people the evolutionary advantages of a slow metabolism.

Chuck Bao
1/5/2010, 07:35 PM
Personally, I'm hoping for a famine so I can show all you little skinny people the evolutionary advantages of a slow metabolism.

This is getting way off subject here, but if your ancestors were rich they could allow for a slow metabolism. They wouldn't make for a good serf for very long. I also have to believe that they weren't actually leading the troops into battle. Those who got the high metabolism were the winners for most of human history. Those who don't have that gene is just a freak and skinny guys and girls are just terribly annoying. There, I said it. They are annoying.

Okla-homey
1/5/2010, 07:50 PM

I should think if you didn't have any retained hardware in that femur, you would be okay. Personally, I snapped my right femur in a parachute crash. No biggie. I was running PT six months later.

The touch of diabetes thing might be an issue, but if it's controlled without meds, prolly no biggie.

Go talk to a recruiter. It can't hurt.

Okla-homey
1/5/2010, 07:57 PM
Obviously, I would assume they'd never put me in combat although I'd like an assignment with the tank corps. I would think my size would do well in a tank.

I hate to bust your bubble track-boy, but being a tanker is hard flippin' work. It ain't all powering over the terrain squishing bad guys and blowing crap up. It's also a lot of maintenance which is first and foremost the crew's responsibility. They have to maintain that beast in the field, and that includes horsing tracks back on when they blow one. Those individual track links weigh about the same as you do.

That's not to mention feeding that main gun. Those rounds, which are heavy, don't just beam over from the place they're stowed to the gun breach.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 09:11 PM
Those who don't have that gene is just a freak and skinny guys and girls are just terribly annoying. There, I said it. They are annoying.

It's just really annoying. I can eat fatty foods, tons of cars, loads of junk food (chips, cookies, pop, etc.) all day long and I gain absolutely NOTHING. It's such a horrible thing.....;)

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 09:12 PM
I've seen the future. And it isn't pretty.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/56/Mr_Burns.png

That's not the future -- it's the present.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 09:13 PM
Maybe yer wormy

Go to the Vet:D

Rogue
1/5/2010, 09:27 PM
I don't know which I enjoyed more....SicEm's comment that they prolly wouldn't send him to combat (yeah, get THAT one in writing) or Colonel Wingnut describing the physical rigors of being a tanker. ;)

The home loan deal is a nice bennie though...I've used it twice and it has been the best deal by a longshot. I don't think much of mortgage lender types that don't want to mess with VA loan "paperwork."

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 09:33 PM
I don't know which I enjoyed more....SicEm's comment that they prolly wouldn't send him to combat (yeah, get THAT one in writing) or Colonel Wingnut describing the physical rigors of being a tanker. ;)

The home loan deal is a nice bennie though...I've used it twice and it has been the best deal by a longshot. I don't think much of mortgage lender types that don't want to mess with VA loan "paperwork."

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the concept of being in the Navy.

olevetonahill
1/5/2010, 09:39 PM
My Son Just Bot a home . No One around here would offer the VA loan

Frozen Sooner
1/5/2010, 11:25 PM
I hate to bust your bubble track-boy, but being a tanker is hard flippin' work. It ain't all powering over the terrain squishing bad guys and blowing crap up. It's also a lot of maintenance which is first and foremost the crew's responsibility. They have to maintain that beast in the field, and that includes horsing tracks back on when they blow one. Those individual track links weigh about the same as you do.

That's not to mention feeding that main gun. Those rounds, which are heavy, don't just beam over from the place they're stowed to the gun breach.

I just had a mental image of "I can't change a tire" Sic 'Em trying to do diesel maintenance in the field.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 11:35 PM
I just had a mental image of "I can't change a tire" Sic 'Em trying to do diesel maintenance in the field.

Hey, I figured out how to change that tire with no instruction at all. I only went wrong when I threw the entire tire/wheel away in the ditch for the Mexicans. I had no idea you were supposed to save that.

And, I figured if something went wrong on the tank I'd let the people who know what they're doing take care of it while I lounged around catchin' some rays, eating some cheese, and drinking some wine ala Oddball in Kelly's Heroes.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2010, 11:36 PM
And actually, I believe the Abrams runs on jet fuel not diesel.

picasso
1/5/2010, 11:44 PM

Yeah but I thought only dumb poor people joined the military.

btk108
1/6/2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah but I thought only dumb poor people joined the military.

Phail....now you're just askin for neg spek.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 12:05 AM
Phail....now you're just askin for neg spek.

He was being facetious since "the other side" has been known to make comments suggesting that only the poor and uneducated choose military service. He doesn't mean that himself.

btk108
1/6/2010, 12:06 AM
He was being facetious since "the other side" has been known to make comments suggesting that only the poor and uneducated choose military service. He doesn't mean that himself.

Figured that out after I took the time to read it and see who posted it....spekked him + and splained it

picasso
1/6/2010, 12:14 AM

See Stephen King:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/05/writer-stephen-king-if-you-cant-read-youll-end-army-or-iraq

King Barry's Back
1/6/2010, 05:28 AM
Sic Em --

Whatever happened to that dream job you were talking about about a month ago?

Look, I've never worn the uniform, but I am a civilian working for the military.

For jobs that require big strong men -- well, you are small. But there are PLENTY of jobs in the military. Literally, almost every job that exists in the United States, exists in the military.

Heck, you could be an intel analyst. You just have to sit in front of a computer all day. In fact, plenty of Army jobs are just office jobs.

Some jobs don't even require boot camp. I know the Marine Band doesn't, and I know that Navy doctors don't have to go through one either. The Navy has what's called "knife and fork school" -- where I guess they teach you mostly ettiquete. Their graduates are often made fun of for not knowing how to wear their uniforms. I heard one story about a Navy doctor wearing his khaki colored uniform with a white "cover" or hat. When his colleagues let him know quietly that wasn't kosher, he replied kind of surprised "Really? I thought it looked good!"

THose two jobs are pretty specialized, but if those exist there are very likely more.

Jello Biafra
1/6/2010, 10:57 AM
And, I figured if something went wrong on the tank I'd let the people who know what they're doing take care of it while I lounged around catchin' some rays, eating some cheese, and drinking some wine ala Oddball in Kelly's Heroes.

roflmao....let us know how that works out for ya if and when the enlistment papers are signed...

and yes..m1 runs on jp8...or runs BETTER on jp8

Jello Biafra
1/6/2010, 11:35 AM
and do we know what the powerpack is?

SoonerJack
1/6/2010, 12:56 PM
I had a hard time gaining weight until I turned 30.
What PQ said.

Jello Biafra
1/6/2010, 01:07 PM
i hope the colonel wingnut statement wasnt point at me...

Okla-homey
1/6/2010, 07:55 PM
And actually, I believe the Abrams runs on jet fuel not diesel.

Actually, AF jet and turboprop aircraft, Army helos, and Army tracked vehicles all run on JP8. It makes the logistics task easier. Only fuel for all that stuff.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 07:57 PM
Well, then, I stand corrected on tank go-juice.

I'm still having a hard time envisioning SicEm doing maintenance.

Okla-homey
1/6/2010, 08:02 PM
Well, then, I stand corrected on tank go-juice.

I'm still having a hard time envisioning SicEm doing maintenance.

Me too. I don't think he was ever allowed to get dirty as a child. Which may be his problem.;)

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2010, 08:10 PM
Me too. I don't think he was ever allowed to get dirty as a child. Which may be his problem.;)

Au contraire. I was allowed to do virtually anything I wanted as a child. I had almost no limitations -- I set my own limits.

And, I was a very rough and tumble kid. It wasn't until late middle-school/early high school that I decided I don't like to sweat or get dirty. ;)

AlbqSooner
1/7/2010, 12:02 AM
I was a sophomore in high school before I broke the 5' height barrier or the 100# weight barrier.

I went into basic at 5'7" 128. Six weeks later I was 142. Basic was interesting in that I gained all that weight and the guy in the bunk across from me lost 110 lbs in the same six weeks eating the same food, maintaining the same schedule, doing the same exercises. At that time they seemed to have it down to a fairly good method conditioning.

There are a ton of jobs in the military for smaller people. Talk to a recruiter and see what the options are. It does not pay well while you are in, but it is a steady check, 3 squares and living quarters and the benefits upon discharge are worth it. Having said that, I would NEVER do it again.

King Barry's Back
1/7/2010, 12:03 AM
Actually, AF jet and turboprop aircraft, Army helos, and Army tracked vehicles all run on JP8. It makes the logistics task easier. Only fuel for all that stuff.

The AF is real big on turning coal into jet fuel. Would that snarl the logistics lines?

olevetonahill
1/7/2010, 12:21 AM
I was a sophomore in high school before I broke the 5' height barrier or the 100# weight barrier.

I went into basic at 5'7" 128. Six weeks later I was 142. Basic was interesting in that I gained all that weight and the guy in the bunk across from me lost 110 lbs in the same six weeks eating the same food, maintaining the same schedule, doing the same exercises. At that time they seemed to have it down to a fairly good method conditioning.

There are a ton of jobs in the military for smaller people. Talk to a recruiter and see what the options are. It does not pay well while you are in, but it is a steady check, 3 squares and living quarters and the benefits upon discharge are worth it. Having said that, I would NEVER do it again.

Pay aint bad considering ya dont HAVE to spend a dime unless ya want
A nOOb starts at 1400 a month , While gettin FREE Training

heres a Pay scale thingy
http://www.militaryhub.com/militarypay-salary-e1_e5.cfm

Petro-Sooner
1/7/2010, 12:57 AM
Pay aint bad considering ya dont HAVE to spend a dime unless ya want
A nOOb starts at 1400 a month , While gettin FREE Training

heres a Pay scale thingy
http://www.militaryhub.com/militarypay-salary-e1_e5.cfm

Whats the difference in an E-1 and an E-5? I honestly dont know.

olevetonahill
1/7/2010, 01:47 AM
Whats the difference in an E-1 and an E-5? I honestly dont know.

E-1 a Buck Private =Lowest Rank there is
it works up from there a E-5 Is a Buck sergeant
Ya strat out an E-1 then work yer way up

Officers start out as 2nd looies
an O-1 and go up to O-10 Not many make it to a 10
the E grades are
Enlisted they go up to E-9

Petro-Sooner
1/7/2010, 01:52 AM
Thanks! This past summer I was considering checking into it. But I have two very blown out knees and figured they'd say take a hike. Until I get them fixed I can't run. But say one was healthy and had finished college where would/could they start out?

Lott's Bandana
1/7/2010, 02:10 AM
Thanks! This past summer I was considering checking into it. But I have two very blown out knees and figured they'd say take a hike. Until I get them fixed I can't run. But say one was healthy and had finished college where would/could they start out?

Depending on the degree, an application for Officer Training School at any of the branches could be next. Or, if the degree isn't math/engineering/medical based, and enlistment followed by another application for OTS.

There are times in an enlistment where a college degree can be turned into a commissioning opportunity. One of them is upon the successful completion of Basic Training. However, when in boot camp you are a "boot", just like the rest of the Company.

Retirement benefits: On my 4th VA home loan and zero health care costs makes all those years worth it.

swardboy
1/7/2010, 09:38 AM
This thread explains a lot.

But I digress...my nephew joined up Navy (his friend drew Hawaii duty a year before, so he thought it was a great idea), and scored well on the test at the recruiter's station. He's going to be involved with intel-languages.

So the recruiters make this blond, blue-eyed recruit mark "Hispanic" as his race?

walkoffsooner
1/7/2010, 10:20 AM
I think the the tank command would love u. Put on a cotton suit shove u down the barrel for a good cleaning.

Jello Biafra
1/7/2010, 11:17 AM
can't speak for the rest of the vehicles but, the M1s work on jp8 because the powerpack is an f-16 engine.