PDA

View Full Version : Rich Brooks retires

prrriiide
1/4/2010, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the SEC, Mike Leach...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4794795

swardboy
1/4/2010, 10:26 PM
Sorry, he promised the job to his O-coordinator: Joker Phillips. Yes.

SoonerBigD
1/4/2010, 10:28 PM
A homecoming for cap'n Leach? I could see it.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2010, 10:40 PM
I wonder how the Kentucky administration views Leach. Interesting. If they have good feelings about him, this would be a likely next stop.

westcoast_sooner
1/4/2010, 10:44 PM
Joker Philips is the "Coach in Waiting" there. Brooks took an absolutely horrible program there (face it UK is a basketball school...) and was given the time to build it into a bowl team. They don't win pretty, sometimes don't win at all, but UK has a consistent football team.

Not sure how Joker will be as head coach. I wasn't enamored with his play calling much of the time, but Brooks' team would fight hard.

Would wonder if UK's players have "fat little girlfriends" for Leach to complain about.

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2010, 10:45 PM
I wonder how the Kentucky administration views Leach. Interesting. If they have good feelings about him, this would be a likely next stop.

From what I hear from people down there, UK doesn't want anything to do with anyone who was on Hal Mumme's staff.

kelloggOUballa
1/5/2010, 01:00 AM
Stoops to Kentucky!

SoonerLB
1/5/2010, 01:22 AM
Would wonder if UK's players have "fat little girlfriends" for Leach to complain about.

Nah, in Kentucky it would "horse-faced girlfriends". Just sayin'..... ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/5/2010, 01:25 AM
Foster Brooks was from Kentucky. Are they related?

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2010, 01:28 AM
I remember when Foster was on Green Acres, but I never liked his drunk act. I'm not sure if Rich Brooks was on Green Acres... maybe as a child actor. And this Ezra Brooks is going down pretty good tonight.

1/5/2010, 01:30 AM
I remember when Foster was on Green Acres, but I never liked his drunk act. I'm not sure if Rich Brooks was on Green Acres... maybe as a child actor. And this Ezra Brooks is going down pretty good tonight.Correctamundo, child.

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2010, 02:03 AM
As long as you don't call me 'love child.'

1/5/2010, 02:14 AM
As long as you don't call me 'love child.'Shirley, someone must love you???
and don't say don't call you Shirley.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2010, 10:16 AM
Foster Brooks was from Kentucky. Are they related?

i love those sunglasses. do they make them in kentucky?

TUSooner
1/5/2010, 10:51 AM
I once played a Navy Steel Band gig at a Kentucky Colonels banquet arounde Derby time. Foster Brooks was the speaker. He chatted with us before and after he went on. He was really nice and perfectly sober, of course, His act was great; some people had never seen him before and didn't catch on right away.

Oh yeah --- Leach at KY = GOLD

OUDoc
1/5/2010, 11:00 AM
Oh yeah --- Leach and K-Y = GOLD
You are one sick man.

lexsooner
1/5/2010, 11:42 AM
Here in Lexington, Brooks is one of the pleasant surprises in UK sports, after experiencing Hal Mummy, Billy Gillespie, and other disasters. Brooks was hired to be a short term stop gap for a couple of years until a real head coach could be located. It turned out he was a wise old timer who knew his stuff and was a rock solid character who was loyal to his players and the program, and this became known to recruits. Expectations have always been modest for UK football, and when the team started having winning seasons and going to bowls and even winning some, it thrilled the fans around here. I just wish they could have beaten Tennessee during the Brooks era.

SteelClip49
1/5/2010, 11:44 AM
What was the city's reaction like when he led UK to an upset win over #1 and eventual NC LSU in 2007? I bet that place went nuts and was a huge milestone under Brooks.

lexsooner
1/5/2010, 12:36 PM
What was the city's reaction like when he led UK to an upset win over #1 and eventual NC LSU in 2007? I bet that place went nuts and was a huge milestone under Brooks.

They went beserk and started burning couches, like West Virginia fans. I think I heard firecrackers go off in my normally quiet neighborhood.

I always wanted to see a home and home series with WVU. That would be all out war in the stadium and on the streets, no holds barred, Hatfield v. McCoys, beer throwing, mullet-pulling, you name it. It would escalate each year, with home fans wanting to avenge their treatment at the hands of the other team the previous season.

hgarmorer
1/5/2010, 12:50 PM
I don't care who you are, you should never pull another man's mullet...unless he's your Dad and also your Brother

swardboy
1/5/2010, 12:59 PM
The Bear created football in KY....

1/5/2010, 01:07 PM
The Bear created football in KY...."If I ever get out of this game, I will probably croak"-Paul Bear Bryant. He did, and he did, rather quickly

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2010, 01:18 PM
So the story is "K-Y and the Bear"

lexsooner
1/5/2010, 07:36 PM
Joker Phillips' appointment as the head coach of the UK football team has been rather uncontroversial around here, unlike Tubby Smith's appointment as basketball coach of UK back about 12 years ago. This shows how UK basketball is like a religion and is so sacred that a black man being appointed coach was the topic of much discussion around here. Given, it is 12 years later, but I also think football is much less important in Kentucky and as long as fans can tailgate and have a good time and UK does ok, fans can put up with the football team.