PDA

View Full Version : OUSKINS!

Sooner04
1/4/2010, 08:33 PM
Need your thoughts on the game tonight since it's not being shown in Ardmore. Hope you can pry yourself away from your "Zorn's Gone" celebration long enough to chime in with a few words.

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2010, 08:55 PM
With 49 points at the half, looks like 04's going to be OK with tonight's performance...

Bourbon St Sooner
1/4/2010, 09:31 PM
espn360.com.

I don't recognize this team in white. They play defense, block out for rebounds, hustle some and actually make three pointers.

Sooner04
1/4/2010, 09:42 PM
78 points at the 8:00 time out. We're a shade under the 100 point pace!

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah, unfortunately we spoke too soon and the guys started gunning bad shots again.

OUSKINS
1/4/2010, 11:08 PM
I will keep the analysis of the actual game tonight short......MESU is dreadful.
Just horrid. They play hard and hustle, but they have so little talent it's
sick. They do have a seven footer who has logged a grand total of 9 minutes this year. You do the math...7 foot junior that can't see the floor at MESU......I watched him in pregame, and I can honestly say that I think I could beat him one on one--- I mean that.

Anyway, OU was going to win this game tonight by a wide margin if they were playing full speed, half speed, or no speed. So analysis is tough. I just tried to look deeper to see if I could come up with anything.

Probably very little of what I write in general makes sense, but this might make less sense than normal--- it looked like we were "trying to try" last night. It's like the team knows we have effort, energy issues and they were doing their best to look the part, but something still just seems amiss. Capel said in the postgame that the team has "bad habits"--- I think that was well put. As we all know, bad habits are hard to break-- even when you try your hardest. I don't think this team is coasting or reading their AAU newspaper clippings anymore, but you can't just learn how to play the right way overnight.

One thing I do like is Capel opening the bench more....Ray Willis is getting
minutes and he's playing really hard--- dude can score. He's sort of all over
the place, but he deserves playing time right now. And when you get a guy like Willis playing hard and stealing minutes, it starts to push other guys to play harder and focus.

One thing I don't like is that we still shoot too many three's. We have guys all over the floor with the capability of taking the ball to the hole, but too often they settle for the deep shot. Willie is the main culprit here, but Cade and Pledger hoist too quickly. I keep saying it...Cade has good size and is pretty athletic...good things generally happens when he plays near the basket...I'd like to see him there more. He did a good job last night....made 8 shots and 5 of them were in the paint.

9-5 headed into conference play with 2 bad losses and no good wins. Gonna be an uphill battle to make the dance. 9-7 is a good goal....I'd be content with that and I think it would put us in position to potentially play our way into the tourney with a good showing in the Big 12 tourney. Finishing in the top 6 of the conference is also a good goal...means you avoid KU and UT until the semi-finals of the conference tourney.

Baylor Saturday at 5:00---probably the best Baylor team since....well, ever.
Lots of size and Lacedarius Dunn is a major threat. If Baylor doesn't break the OU streak on Saturday, they might as well quit.

NormanPride
1/5/2010, 11:26 AM
I agree with Cade inside the arc. He does good things around the basket and could be one of those "slow divers" that uses the big trees against themselves to get the right shooting angles in the paint.

The happiest I've been in a long time while watching OU basketball was when nothing was happening at ALL on offense - like normal - and Gamma set a screen by himself to hit a midrange jumper. I mean, I don't even know if Orlando or whoever it was knew that he was screening for someone, but Willis took it and scored. I was so happy to see that it made me tear up a bit.

Boomer.....
1/5/2010, 11:45 AM
Cade will have a handful of games a season where he is on, last night was one of those nights. I also would like to see WW and Crock slash more to the hole. Gamma Ray has never met a shot he didn't like but he hustles and can make the shots.

TMG and Tiny continue to be in trouble as they didn't start for the second straight game. I think it is good on Capel's part. Teach these young uns a lesson.

Soonerborn03
1/5/2010, 11:54 AM
I noticed that Fitzgerald was working hard on blocking out last night. Every time a shot went up, he was looking for an opponent to block out. The only problem was he was so slow in looking and recognizing someone to block out that he missed a lot of rebounds, because he wasn't ready to jump or just reach for the ball.

I'm glad he's getting more minutes though. It was nice to see him and Tiny on the floor at the same time when we were running the 2-3 in the first half.

Sooner04
1/5/2010, 11:58 AM
The happiest I've been in a long time while watching OU basketball was when nothing was happening at ALL on offense - like normal - and Gamma set a screen by himself to hit a midrange jumper. I mean, I don't even know if Orlando or whoever it was knew that he was screening for someone, but Willis took it and scored. I was so happy to see that it made me tear up a bit.
From day one Capel has said "Gamma" Ray is as good an offensive player as anybody on the squad. He said numerous times last year in interviews that Ray has the talent to be a 1,000 point scorer at OU. Now that he's showing signs of understanding the defensive side of things I hope to see his minutes go up.

This obviously biased opinion is brought to you by the President and Founder of the "Gamma" Ray Willis Appreciation Society.

badger
1/5/2010, 12:22 PM
baj here from the wimmens blog, still infuriated that she missed out on a televised game on Sunday, but fortunately got to see more of the OU mens basketball game than the Fiesta Bowl last night.

I have several questions for you all in the know on the mens team:

1- Who is that tall toothpick running around out there? Any info on him? He normally doesn't start.

2- Why does WW seem so reluctant to dribble drive? Is he still in his mode from last year, where he was determined to not look selfish and ballhog-like?

3- Any thoughts on Orlando? He sure looked upset in the second half when he was sent to the bench about midway through.

4- That Franklin player that played the last few minutes... didn't we have a Franklin last year? Is this the same one? NP seemed to think TJ Franklin's a freshman.

5- Please say something positive that will make us all optimistic heading into the conference season.

6- Will Cade Davis get any nominees for All-Big 12 or even All-American honorable mention if he keeps his defensive play up and sweeeeeeet arching threes?

7- Why does Capel always look so upset whenever the camera cuts to him, even when the team is up by 30ish?

Thanks! I'll take the answers off the air <click>

Boomer.....
1/5/2010, 01:02 PM
baj here from the wimmens blog, still infuriated that she missed out on a televised game on Sunday, but fortunately got to see more of the OU mens basketball game than the Fiesta Bowl last night.

I have several questions for you all in the know on the mens team:

1- Who is that tall toothpick running around out there? Any info on him? He normally doesn't start. "Gamma" Ray Willis

2- Why does WW seem so reluctant to dribble drive? Is he still in his mode from last year, where he was determined to not look selfish and ballhog-like? Who knows with Willie.

3- Any thoughts on Orlando? He sure looked upset in the second half when he was sent to the bench about midway through. Big but needs work.

4- That Franklin player that played the last few minutes... didn't we have a Franklin last year? Is this the same one? NP seemed to think TJ Franklin's a freshman. It is the same one.

5- Please say something positive that will make us all optimistic heading into the conference season. Capel will grind these kids into team players and things will start clicking. The D looked better and shots were falling last night so hopefully we can carry that into conference play.

6- Will Cade Davis get any nominees for All-Big 12 or even All-American honorable mention if he keeps his defensive play up and sweeeeeeet arching threes? No

7- Why does Capel always look so upset whenever the camera cuts to him, even when the team is up by 30ish? The team plays poor D and isn't meshing. A lot of talent on the team but something isn't clicking.

Thanks! I'll take the answers off the air <click>

Sooner04
1/5/2010, 02:14 PM
1- Who is that tall toothpick running around out there? Any info on him? He normally doesn't start.
Argh! Go talk to your husband about it! He'll fill you in.

badger
1/5/2010, 03:21 PM
Argh! Go talk to your husband about it! He'll fill you in.

Oh, he told me and since Boomer brought it up, I remember now. :D

So... if you have a chance, can you answer the other questions too, please? :O

bri
1/5/2010, 06:45 PM
From day one Capel has said "Gamma" Ray is as good an offensive player as anybody on the squad. He said numerous times last year in interviews that Ray has the talent to be a 1,000 point scorer at OU. Now that he's showing signs of understanding the defensive side of things I hope to see his minutes go up.

Gamma Ray's proclivity for shooting was brought up several times on the SV intercoms. Finally, I chimed in and pointed out "If they didn't want him to shoot it, why did they pass it to him?"

(On a personal note, the play where Ray got a steal on the wing and took it the length of the court for a layup came right at me, and is quite possibly the finest sequence of live game shooting (http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-baskbl/01jan/20100104_umes_highlights.wmv&school=okla&) I've ever done.)

Crock may have tweaked his knee on a rebound in the second half; he had a pretty big ice pack taped to his right knee after the game when he went to the media room. And Brando, Tiny complimented me on my XI's when we crossed paths after the game. He may take plays off, but the man knows his shoes.

Sooner04
1/5/2010, 11:47 PM
As good as your shooting was, bri, it was overshadowed by how bad BBS has become. It was some good shooting though.

You've got the black and red XIs, right? Searched high and low for some Space Jams, but was denied. To drown my sorrows, I purchased a pair of these (http://www.sneakerobsession.com/14357/air-jordan-xii-flu-game-retro-november-2009-release/) with my Christmas money:

bri
1/6/2010, 12:57 AM
That is a tasty consolation prize. I dropped my "extra" class this semester 'cause I didn't really need it and it had about 8 required texts. I'm taking all the book money I just saved to get the Flu Game and the white/red colorways. The guy at the Finish Line at Sooner Mall told me they'd be getting some more Space Jams, but I think that was just a dirty lie to keep me from killing myself in the store.

I can't bash BBS, 'cause I eat dinner with the guy before games and he's funny as hell.

Sooner04
1/6/2010, 10:11 AM
If the Space Jam rumors are true (and I would be stunned if they are) then you better let me know. I found out after the fact that Hibbett Sports here in Ardmore actually had some Space Jams in the store. I didn't even bother to check with them after they failed to secure any pairs of the Grape V's after I begged them to try for months.

I was delayed on a flight to KC one time and talked to BBS for a good while. He's an incredibly nice guy. Wonderful to chat with, but that doesn't change the fact that he's become terrible at play-by-play. The fans deserve better.

badger
1/6/2010, 11:18 AM
After the dogs devoured the velcro on my last pair (arrrrrrrgh) I have sworn off velcro and went with these:
http://i45.tinypic.com/bg3yc.jpg
Yes, they're pink, but the Nike Shox stuff is actually quite nice to run in.

I like how Air Jordans look, but basketball shoes just tend to be a little bit bulky for my tiny feetz.

starrca23
1/6/2010, 11:41 AM
Jordans aren't baskteball shoes...they are Jordans. :)
The Flu games are amazing. That was my favorite Jordan game. One of the greatest performances of all time. The XII's were my favorites to play in. Still like the tuxedo's and the greys (which I have both) in the XI's. The new space jams don't look quite like the originals.

badger
1/6/2010, 11:53 AM
I love the modified Mr Yuck symbol on the shoe :D

bri
1/6/2010, 01:57 PM
Brando, will do.

The XII's were my favorites to play in. Still like the tuxedo's and the greys (which I have both) in the XI's. The new space jams don't look quite like the originals.

The XII's are incredibly comfortable. That's why I'm picking up a couple of pairs to be my new playing shoes at Huff 'n' Puff.

Weren't the original Space Jam shoes white?

Sooner04
1/6/2010, 02:01 PM
Weren't the original Space Jam shoes white?
No no no! You're thinking of the pair MJ wore in the All-Star game that year.

http://www.cozysneaker.com/images/jordan11nbapic3.jpg

I actually own a pair of the shoes pictured above. I bought them in 2001, the first and only time they were retroed. Lawrence McKenzie offered me $300 for the pair when he arrived on campus a couple of years later. "Child, please" was the reply, LONG before Chad Johnson came up with it.

Here's a closer look:
http://www.okjordans.com/images/jordan-11/air-jordan-11-2.jpg

bri
1/6/2010, 02:39 PM
Oh, my bad.

badger
1/6/2010, 02:40 PM
It appears that the shoes he is wearing are mostly black:
http://www.aboutsneakers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/air-jordan-11-space-jam-sneakers.jpg
Back when basketball jerseys were all the rage in high school, some kids in my class had Space Jam jerseys... not Jordan's, mind you, but Bugs Bunney, Taz, etc.

starrca23
1/6/2010, 03:58 PM
Ya, the little patch in the middle of the tounge said "Space Jam", the new ones say "Jordan and Jumpman" like the rest of the XI's. Also, the blue on the bottom is a little different. Probably due to an upgrade in material.