1/4/2010, 08:25 AM
Jim Zorn-- Washington Redskins...worst kept secret in the NFL

Who's next?

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/4/2010, 08:36 AM
Stoops to the skins

misplaced_sooner
1/4/2010, 09:13 AM
They fired him a 245am! Synder is a slime ball.

badger
1/4/2010, 09:27 AM
Whoever coaches the Raiders is probably out too.

Mike Leach to the not-red Raiders???

Sooner in Tampa
1/4/2010, 09:44 AM
Mangini is rumored to a sure fire failure, but not until tomorrow when he meets with then new football czar in Cleveland...Mike Holmgren

badger
1/4/2010, 10:08 AM
By virtue of their records alone, I'd say St. Louis' Steve Spagnuolo is in hot water as well. It's a loooooong way from when Coach 'Smartz' was leading Kurt Warner and what's his face awesome running back to multiple Super Bowls.

Also, Detroit's Jim Schwartz can't feel too comfy after a two-win effort this season.

Chicago Bears' Lovie Smith might need to campaign a little for more time as well. Sure, he led Chicago to a Super Bowl awhile back, but he lost it and its been awhile since the NFC North didn't result in nothing but Packers and Brett Favre talk... and a lot of glamour shot ads of All Day. :D

Also, I know they just signed Brad Childress to a contract extension, but the Vikes invested a ton in this Brett Favre experiment and it's all on Childress if it turns sour. They better make the Super Bowl, or get ready to see Diva Favre in full form :rolleyes:

Chiefs coach Todd Haley is only in his first year, but a four-win season only looks good if you're in the same state as St. Louis ;)

Same goes for three-win first-year coach Raheem Morris of Tampa Bay. The Glazier family likes having winning expensive toys to play with. That's why they fired Gruden, the coach that won 'em a Super Bowl!

So, there's my (short???) list of coaches that should watch their 6. It's the NFL. You don't get five year plans in the NFL to recruit (scout? draft?) your talent and stars of the future. You get one, maybe two years at most to stop losing or show immediate progress.

virginiasooner
1/4/2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, Zorn's firing is THE BIG STORY of the day. Everyone knew it was coming. I'm surprised that Danny Boy allowed Zorn to fly back to DC on the team's dime. The local new radio station (WTOP) was going to interview John Riggins on this VERY IMPORTANT topic. Everyone agrees that Jim Zorn is a nice guy, but isn't ready to be a head coach. I hope that Zorn gets some offensive coordinator job, and beats the Redskins next year.

badger
1/4/2010, 10:15 AM
As for my own coach, Mike McCarthy, I really think that much like Shermanator, he will be gone at the first sign of trouble... as in the next time he has a losing season. He's young and he's done well in Green Bay, but again, it's the NFL. Coaches just don't stay for too long in one place before everyone catches onto your coaching schemes.

Eielson
1/4/2010, 10:22 AM
By virtue of their records alone, I'd say St. Louis' Steve Spagnuolo is in hot water as well. It's a loooooong way from when Coach 'Smartz' was leading Kurt Warner and what's his face awesome running back to multiple Super Bowls.

Spagnuolo isn't going to be fired. He was just hired this year. You can't truly expect anybody to turn this team around in one year. We certainly didn't expect to take a step backwards (record wise), but while not in love, most fans still support him.

And for the record, Dick Vermeil is the coach that won us a super bowl with Warner and "what's his face awesome running back" (Marshall Faulk). Martz did "lead" (it could be debated that he followed) the Rams to a Super Bowl with Marc Bulger, but we lost it...to the Patriots (Bad memories! I hate you!). However, the further we got from Vermeil's coaching days, the more Martz underachieved, and thus was fired.

Lovie Smith

I thank you for mentioning his name, and thus reminding me of the days when we had one of the most Bad-A defensive coordinators on our sideline. I always thought that Chicago only interviewed him for the "Rooney Rule". It devastated me when they hired him. More bad memories...so I guess I may still hate you yet!

Chiefs coach Todd Haley is only in his first year, but a four-win season only looks good if you're in the same state as St. Louis

Oh, I DEFINITELY hate you!

Sooner in Tampa
1/4/2010, 10:29 AM
Same goes for three-win first-year coach Raheem Morris of Tampa Bay. The Glazier family likes having winning expensive toys to play with. That's why they fired Gruden, the coach that won 'em a Super Bowl!

As is usually the case here in Tampa, the town in divided. One half thinks that Rah Rah should be back for another season...give him a chance to really rebuild what he has started...10 draft picks this yr.

The other half is mad as hell that Gruden got fired and we were left with this crap on the field.

I personally am in the middle...I think Rah Rah improved as the season went on, it was apparent in the first few games of the season that he was in way over his head. I don't want to fire him, just to fire him. IF the Glazers have a plan, well lets Git R Done...but if you are going to fire Rah and THEN start your search...bad move. Have a plan in place so that as soon as Rah is gone, you can name the next coach, GM, and start re-building our franchise. OR, fire them, name your new GM and let him do what GM's are suppose to do.

Bottom line...Rah stays in Tampa Bay, the Glazers are not going to pay 3 coaches next yr (they owe Gruden for one more yr, they would have to pay Rah for the yr left on his contract, and then you have to pay the new guy).

OH, and ticket sales will suffer.

ouleaf
1/4/2010, 10:30 AM
I'd be worried for Tampa Bay's coach. I know it's only his 1st year, but he just doesn't seem like the answer. It will be interesting to see what happens in Cleveland. I don't think Mangini's system matches what Holmgren likes to do, but Cleveland did win their last 4 or 5 games of the season.

I think Spagnuolo is safe for at least another year. It's not his fault he the only good player he has is Steven Jackson. He should be given a little more time to try and right the ship.

I'm thinking John Fox and Jack Del Rio may have worn out their welcome. Sure one of their teams will show up with a good year every now and then when they have a soft schedule, but other than that you are looking at consistently mediocre teams.

The same goes for Kubiak in Houston. Just can't get over the hump and into the playoffs.

badger
1/4/2010, 10:30 AM
Oh yeah, that's right - Smartz came along later and yeah, "The Pats Cheated!" Super Bowl was against the Rams. Poor Rams. They probably did cheat, but there just isn't proof available. Ah well.

I can't believe I couldn't remember Marshall Faulk's name. Must be Monday morning.

Eielson
1/4/2010, 10:34 AM
Oh, and let's also point out that not only did the Bucs fire Jon Gruden, but they also fired Tony Dungy. Glaziers are a joke.

Eielson
1/4/2010, 10:36 AM
It's not his fault he the only good player he has is Steven Jackson.

Don't you dare disrespect Oshiomogho Atogwe!

But yeah, something's wrong when you're starting "Mr. Irrelevant." :(

Sooner in Tampa
1/4/2010, 10:46 AM
Oh, and let's also point out that not only did the Bucs fire Jon Gruden, but they also fired Tony Dungy. Glazier's are a joke.
Sorry sir, but I have to disagree on that call.

Tony Dungy built and took the franchise as far as it was going to go. Dungy was NOT going to win a Super Bowl here in Tampa. Dungy had the talent to win a SB for years and squander it!! Gruden came in, brought in a few offensive weapons...and took the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl.

Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, and John Lynch all agreed that Gruden coming to Tampa Bay was exactly what the franchise needed.

Eielson
1/4/2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry sir, but I have to disagree on that call.

Tony Dungy built and took the franchise as far as it was going to go. Dungy was NOT going to win a Super Bowl here in Tampa. Dungy had the talent to win a SB for years and squander it!! Gruden came in, brought in a few offensive weapons...and took the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl.

Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, and John Lynch all agreed that Gruden coming to Tampa Bay was exactly what the franchise needed.

If Dungy wasn't capable of winning a super bowl, then how did he manage to do it for the Colts? Regardless, even if that were true, how do you justify firing Gruden? The Bucs fired two of the decade's greatest coaches...in the same decade. That's hard to do.

Sooner in Tampa
1/4/2010, 11:53 AM
If Dungy wasn't capable of winning a super bowl, then how did he manage to do it for the Colts? Regardless, even if that were true, how do you justify firing Gruden? The Bucs fired two of the decade's greatest coaches...in the same decade. That's hard to do.
Dungy won a Super Bowl because when he arrived in Indy...he was told "Hands off of the Offense"...they had Manning all of the pieces where in place...very similar to Gruden...and Yes, the Glazers have screwed up things

The mood here in Tampa was that Gruden told players one thing and did another...Free Agents were rumored to not want to play for Gruden because he couldn't be trusted. There was drive time radio guy the just railed on Gruden non-stop, so the town was divided then too.

NOW...we are in the exact same situation as one year ago...with the huge exception being that MANY season ticket holders have publicly stated they are NOT going re-new. I haven't decided yet if I will renew.

Sonner magic923
1/4/2010, 11:53 AM
Just announced on sportscenter that the Bills have fired the entire staff.

Sonner magic923
1/4/2010, 11:55 AM

Peyton Manning...just sayin

buffalobill989
1/4/2010, 12:14 PM
Just announced on sportscenter that the Bills have fired the entire staff.

MAKIN ROOM FOR COWHER

OULenexaman
1/4/2010, 12:22 PM
MAKIN ROOM FOR COWHER

HA!!! Good luck......quit screwing around Bears....step up...

buffalobill989
1/4/2010, 12:30 PM
THERES ALWAYS HOPE!!!!

swardboy
1/4/2010, 12:38 PM
THERES ALWAYS HOPE!!!!

There's hope for you,
If global warming's true. :)

badger
1/4/2010, 12:39 PM
Eielson... now that I know which team you root for, I'll have to give you trash about it next season. Don't worry, I can take it as well as dish it. I really, really have at it with a few Vikes and Bearz on da board right now because of their endless bragging about the Sooner alums on their teams :(

Anyway, I am just throwing these names out there as potential firings. I'm sure a reason could be brought up for all 32 coaches to get fired... the Colts coach for yanking the starters last week... the Saints coach for this little end-of-season meltdown if they don't do well in the playoffs... but I think the ones named here are the most likely candidates.

As for Dungy, I think the reason he succeeded in Indy where he didn't succeed in Tampa was because he is a defensive-minded coach, but he didn't have a spectacular QB and offense to work with in Tampa like he did in Indy. Dungy was exactly who the Colts needed to have a good defense to go with an awesome offense.

I think Dungy definitely built a strong foundation for Gruden to build on... in Gruden's first year?!?! However, you gotta credit Gruden a lot for the Super Bowl win. I mean, if he can build a team that can get Bill "Had it up to Here!" Callahan to the Super Bowl, then he can work wonders anywhere. Alas, didn't last... not that I like our former NFC Central foe or anything. Warren Sapp can still go to hell for all the hits he did on Favre... oh wait, I detest Favre now... arrrrrrgh!

The NFL's one big soap opera :rolleyes:

Sooner in Tampa
1/4/2010, 12:57 PM
Now Schefter and the four letter network are saying Cowher is going sit out another year...geesh

achiro
1/4/2010, 01:09 PM
Also, I know they just signed Brad Childress to a contract extension, but the Vikes invested a ton in this Brett Favre experiment and it's all on Childress if it turns sour. They better make the Super Bowl, or get ready to see Diva Favre in full form :rolleyes:

OK, time to leave the football talk to the menfolk. ;)

Seriously, you need to remove this paragraph from your post if you want anyone to give you even a bit of credit. :D

badger
1/4/2010, 01:32 PM
Now Schefter and the four letter network are saying Cowher is going sit out another year...geesh

I love it! This is what I'm gonna call those beyonces from now on.

Seriously, you need to remove this paragraph from your post if you want anyone to give you even a bit of credit.

If I didn't have at least one mention of how much I detest the Vikes, then nobody would believe it was me behind this screenname... seriously. NP posts as me occasionally, and the easiest way to tell if it's really me and not him is if the phrase "Eff the Vikings," or "Eff Minny-ha-ha" or "Efff that effing diva Favre" are anywhere in the post.

Oh... and Childress has no control over the team anymore. They are winning in spite of him. Fire him and you'd probably have the best record in the Neffel. Keep him next year and you won't even win the NFC North and will be struggling for a playoff spot.

Eielson
1/4/2010, 01:47 PM
Eielson... now that I know which team you root for, I'll have to give you trash about it next season.

It's not really possible to talk trash about the Rams. You're probably going to have to envy and admire the Rams along with the rest of the leagues. Good luck talking trash on us, but I just don't think it's possible.

As for Dungy, I think the reason he succeeded in Indy where he didn't succeed in Tampa was because he is a defensive-minded coach, but he didn't have a spectacular QB and offense to work with in Tampa like he did in Indy. Dungy was exactly who the Colts needed to have a good defense to go with an awesome offense.

Dungy won a Super Bowl because when he arrived in Indy...he was told "Hands off of the Offense"...they had Manning all of the pieces where in place...very similar to Gruden...and Yes, the Glazers have screwed up things

It has always seemed odd to me that Dungy is labeled a "defensive guy". He was a quarterback in college for Minnesota. He played some safety in the NFL, but he has plenty of experience on offense, and probably even more with high school and everything involved. If he had been at Indianapolis first, did what he did, and then went and did what he did at Tampa afterwards, he would probably be thought of as an offensive coach. Sure, he had Peyton Manning, and several other offensive weapons, but I'd venture to say that Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, and John Lynch are pretty good in their own right. Oh, and Lovie Smith. :)

sooneron
1/4/2010, 01:48 PM
What will Bagj do when the vikes lose and go after Cowher?

sooneron
1/4/2010, 01:52 PM
or if the bears go after Shanahan if Lovie is gone?

badger
1/4/2010, 02:09 PM
What will baj do?

1- Giggle at the fact that Favre caused yet another coach's firing.
2- Giggle that the man that trashed OU phenom Tommie Harris is gone.

Also... eff the playoffs. I wanted either Dallas or Minny in round one. Instead, we Packers get two straight weeks of Arizona?! Gahhhhhhh so lame. If the NFL knows what's good for them, they'll have Arizona flagged constantly en route to a loss so ensure that the Pack meets either Minny or Dallas in round two. Think of the ratings those two games would bring.

Also, to those of you that haven't heard, I wouldn't recommend bashing the Pack too much. Dean can and will ban you.

sooneron
1/4/2010, 03:10 PM
eff the pack!

badger
1/4/2010, 03:21 PM
Eff you too, dear, as well as whatever NFL team you support unless it's Green Bay :D

btw, anyone catch the documentary on the USFL? My pipe dream would be another professional league that catered to fans right after the NFL was finished (like the XFL and the USFL) that would go after players that were loved by local fans that weren't cut out for the NFL.

Tell me... would you pay to see Q do an amazing tripod-aided run again? Or Jason White heave TD after TD without either knee's help? Or J.D. hitting somebody?