PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Abroad for the First Time.

HBick
1/4/2010, 04:28 AM
All right fellow board members, I'm traveling to Europe next week through OU for an International Advertising trip. We leave from OKC Wednesday, to D.C. then to Frankfurt for a few hours before we fly to Hungary. 4 days in Budapest, then back to Frankfurt for a day, then to London for 4 days before coming back to the 405.

Anyone have any tips that I might not be aware of?

Also, anyone been to Hungary before? I'm curious as what to expect from the locals...

Also, anyone have any must see or do things in London?

Thanks in advance.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 05:02 AM
There are a lot of pickpockets over there in the major city. You've probably already been told this but get one of those money/ID holders that go around your neck and put it under your shirt. Hide your money in different places. I always kept some around my neck and some hidden in my shoe...yes, my shoe.

Make sure your shots are all up to date and head to the doctor if they're not.

Learn the money system before you go otherwise you'll get screwed.

London is awesome. I love that city. The Imperial War Museum was simply awesome. DON'T skip it! The Tower of London and the other typical touristy places are great as well.

London museums and sites give you a pretty good bang for your buck. You shouldn't feel short changed no matter what you do.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 05:07 AM
Oh, and don't forget to remind all the Euro-trash over there that we either saved their *** twice or kicked it twice depending on the case!

olevetonahill
1/4/2010, 06:36 AM
Carry Condoms
Nuff said

KABOOKIE
1/4/2010, 07:08 AM
Anyone have any tips that I might not be aware of?

WATCH YOUR SIX. In Europe there are a lot of theives and the run in teams of 2-3. One person will engage you in polite talk while their accomplice will be stealing your wallet, video camera, bags, etc...

These best way to tell it's happening is someone "foriegner" will want to talk to you. This is a big red flag. No one over there likes Americans and if some dude off the street is trying to strike up a conversation or get you to do something then he's trying to swindle you.

I told this same advice to a roomate's dad before he went to Europe. They got robbed when a guy walked up to him as he was unloading their bags from their rental car at the hotel. The guy said, "Hey mister! You tire is flat. Look! Look! Over here! Yes, come on! Come over here! Look down there. See it? All the way down there! Look up there! No? OK, sorry." When he went back to the trunk, all of his bags were missing. By the time he looked up this would be good samaritan was gone too.

King Barry's Back
1/4/2010, 08:27 AM
I do not want you to take away from this thread that you should be scared to visit Europe. You should not be. There is much less street crime, and far, far less violent crime, than in Western Europe than in the US. You should feel MUCH safer in Europe than on the streets of a major US city.

There are pickpockets, and they DO target people who are clearly tourists. When I used to come to Europe for business, I had my jacket pocket picked of cash on two different trips. And, during the first month I lived in Europe, I was accosted on two occassions.

The most serious was when I was standing on the street, trying to dial my expensive, new European cell phone. I was holding it at arms length trying to figure out how to dial it, and a guy grabbed it out of my hand. I chased him down the street screaming obsenitities (which Europeans would not do) so at least I hopefully scared him some.

The second occasion was a gypsy woman in her 40s. She approached me with an unfolded street map (big red flag) that she was waving about and covering her hands with. She was babbling in some eastern tongue, acted like she needed directions, and basically was trying to distract me.

I kept saying "No, no , no" to her, but she continued to be persistent. SO I put my hand in my pocket to protect my cash -- and her hand was already in my jeans pocket!!! (How could she do THAT w/o my knowledge?)

I grabbed her wrist, pulled her hand from my pocket, and with the other hand unfolded each of her fingers to insure she had nothing in them. When I was finished, I physically shoved her away to get some distance, and she stumbled.

She then said in perfect English, "F**k you."

Once I learned not to act like a tourist, I have NEVER had ANY problems with crime of any sort in Europe. (On the other hand, when I was a clueless tourist, I got to see two lesbians make out like crazy in a pub at 2 in the afternoon, and I've never seen ANYTHING like that since. And I went back to that pub as often as I could!)

Real advice -- In Frankfurt, the tourist areas of the city center are quite small. That city was heavily bombed (by us!) in the 40s, and there's not much of the old city left to see. The beer is better than in the states (though Belgium is MUCH MUCH better than Germany). Visit some cafes, there is a very nice pedestrian shopping district for any souvenirs. Don't worry about crime much, but try not to look like an obvious target, either.

Frankfurt is supposed to have a great jazz scene, but I have not been there enough to take advantage.

In Hungary -- Eastern Europe is still less predictable, and more poverty-stricken, than in the West. There is more street crime. But for the most part Budapest will be safe for you, as long as you act like you know where you are and what you are doing.

You are very lucky. Budapest is beautiful city, and you should be grateful you have the opportunity to spend four days there. There is plenty of history here left to see, of the Cold War-era, and of the Austro-Hungarian Imperial times. (and of the Islamic Their parliament building on the Danube is a gem of Western civilization, and there are many more great buildings.

In one square they have preserved the bullet marks fired by Soviet troops during the Hungarian uprising in about 1956, which is pretty interesting. There is also a section of the city where they dumped all the communist statues and such that is now like an amusement park.

I would suggest that you buy one and probably two travel guides for each city you are visiting. If you are completely new to international travel, you should buy one from Rick Steves. His advice is really elementary, and Europeans laugh like crazy whenever I show them clips from his TV shows. But for Americans who have never travelled, Rick Steves has just the right advice to put you at ease. The other should be one like National Geographic or another brand that has pictures or drawings of most of the attractions.

If you are interested in the tourist life, and having a generally good time (incl bars/nightlife) and doing so at a reasonable price, you should buy Lonely Planet. You will also learn quite a bit about the culture, history of where you travel.

If you feel you are an experienced traveller (just not yet in Europe) or you are more interested in the culture/history, then buy Cadogan -- generally the best travel guides I have ever scene. Their restaurant recs are the best I have ever scene (but I used Cadogan heavily in Rome, and really, where can you go wrong in Rome?)

DO NOT break the laws of Europe. That includes things like prostitution and marijuana. THose laws may not be so seriously enforced as in the US, and plenty of Europeans may break them w/o consequence, but you are a guest and will be held to a higher standard. The police may be corrupt, or they may be looking to make a name for themselves by hassling an American.

Bottom-line: Behave as you should and you should have no problems.

As far as London, you'll feel like your pockets were picked after a couple of beers, but it is a nice town and if you can afford nothing else, just walk around and check things out.

King Crimson
1/4/2010, 08:34 AM
have a good time, be careful, use your common sense, and don't be as paranoid as some of the other posters might have you be. Sic em is a notorious anti-anything that's not waco hater. the guy used to brag about choosing Baylor because it was full of white, frat looking guys and plain-faced fake blonde gals. and that was like 25 years ago when he was a freshman. and he's got more close-minded and nostalgic for Pat Buchanan and isolationism since then. total xenophobe. ;)

don't go to touristy looking places and have a beer where it looks like the locals go. walk a few blocks AWAY from the train stations before deciding where to eat, have one....don't be afraid to ask.

London is really expensive.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 08:39 AM
Sic em is a notorious anti-anything that's not waco hater. the guy used to brag about choosing Baylor because it was full of white, frat looking guys. and that was like 25 years ago when he was a freshman. and he's got more close-minded and nostalgic for Pat Buchanan and isolationism since then. total xenophobe. ;)

You say it like it's a bad thing. **** man, the first time I went to Europe I couldn't be a bigger stereotypical American tourist. I wore my HS letter jacket, I had an OU hat on, a camera around my neck, backpack, and a CD player and headphones on.

On my second trip to London, I ended up getting stuck at Gatwick airport and then Heathrow for 3 days (long story). On the last day, I went into Planet Hollywood and ordered a burger but I told the waitress, "Look I want a burger but I want one that tastes like an actual American burger and not what I've been eating over here."

Yep, typical American ******* the whole way.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 08:41 AM
But anyway, yeah I learned to tone it down a bit. It just makes dealing with the locals a LOT easier. And trust me, they can make it pretty damned difficult. So don't be me -- be low key.

King Barry's Back
1/4/2010, 09:20 AM
One poster above said no one over there wants to talk to Americans. That's completely untrue. But the ones that actually want to talk to you will approach you carefully. (Europeans are far more shy with strangers typically than Americans are.)

As far as getting along with the locals, tone it down is exactly the right advice. No one in Oklahoma likes it when the French come to town and act too French. Likewise, no one in France (or Germany or Hungary) is going to like it when an Okie acts too Okie.

On the other hand, if you were a big cowboy hat and boots, you might impress them. They love things like big ranches and Indian Braves. (Yes, to the point of embarrassing racial stereotypes. I've had to leave the room from being embarrassed by what they think about Indians, and they never can understand why it's offensive because they all "really love Indians!" "And black people!" but that's another post completely.)

BillyBall
1/4/2010, 09:22 AM
Also, anyone have any must see or do things in London?

If you can make it to an English Premier League game, do it.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/4/2010, 09:42 AM
London is allsome...try

The Tower of London
Madam Tussauds Wax Museum
Sherlock Holmes Pub
The changing of the guard thing was alright
The Royal Parks...

I'll think of some others

soonerscuba
1/4/2010, 09:55 AM
Don't do anything you can do in America, eat and drink as much as you can and be sure to try things out of your comfort zone. Also, be very leery of children w/o parents, and if a you happen to come across a pack of them unsupervised grab your most important gear, because they are going to try to steal from you. Finally, you simply must drink cask ale in London, it's not unheard of in the states, but rare and nothing like you are going to get over there.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 10:53 AM
One thing you should do in London that is pretty awesome is the Jack the Ripper tour one evening. Our guide was a Yeoman at the Tower who kept bragging the Queen once referred to him by name. He was a jolly guy though. At one point he took the entire tour group into this pub and of course we all thought it had something to do with Jack the Ripper, but as it turned out he just wanted to have a pint. So, he did and then we got on our way again. :D

picasso
1/4/2010, 11:15 AM
Take a whizz after the love making.

Sparky
1/4/2010, 02:48 PM
Call your bank and let them know you'll be traveling and list the countries/dates. (They might even have a form for you to fill out.) Any unusual activity may set off red flags to them.

Use ATMs to obtain euros in the current exchange rate. Use euros to pay for everything possible--especially when dining. Waiters/waitresses have been known to steal your card information when there are out of sight processing your card.

Put photocopies of your passport, other forms of ID, credit/debit cards (front & back), the numbers for credit reporting agencies and travel docs in the lining of your suitcase. At the hotel, put those in the room safe if they have one. Then, if you do lose items/have things pickpocketed, you have what you need to cancel the cards and report to the agencies.

Most of all, have fun! I hope you have a good time. Traveling in Europe is a breeze if you are prepared.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2010, 04:43 PM
Waiters/waitresses have been known to steal your card information when there are out of sight processing your card.

Hell, that happens here constantly. I have a couple of cop friends that work for Vegas Metro and they claim to spend half their time investigating resaurant workers!

King Barry's Back
1/4/2010, 04:47 PM
Call your bank and let them know you'll be traveling and list the countries/dates. (They might even have a form for you to fill out.) Any unusual activity may set off red flags to them.

THIS IS GOOD ADVICE AS BANKS MAY SEE YOUR CHARGE IN HUNGARY AND ASSUME THAT YOUR IDENTITY HAS BEEN HIJACKED. IF THEY TURN OFF YOUR CARD WHILE YOU ARE AWAY, YOU CAN BE PRETTY SCREWED.

Use ATMs to obtain euros in the current exchange rate. Use euros to pay for everything possible--especially when dining. Waiters/waitresses have been known to steal your card information when there are out of sight processing your card.

DON'T WORRY MUCH ABOUT USING YOUR CREDIT CARD. PAYING WITH CASH CAN BE SAFER, BUT IF YOU NEED TO USE YOUR CARD, USE IT. ALSO BE AWARE THAT EUROPEAN ATMS WILL CHARGE YOU LARGER FEES THAN IN THE US, AND ALSO THAT YOUR AMERICAN CARD WILL LIKELY CHARGE A FEE OF ABOUT 3 PERCENT FOR FOREIGN TRANSACTIONS.

ALSO, FYI, HUNGARY USES THE FORINT, AND ENGLAND STILL USES THE POUND. OF THE COUNTRIES ON YOUR ITINERARY, ONLY GERMANY USES THE EURO. (YOU'LL PROBABLY RETURN FROM THIS TRIP WITH WADS OF CASH THAT IS NOW USELESS TO YOU, AND YOU'LL HAVE LEARNED WHY EUROPEANS WANTED TO CREATE THE EURO IN THE FIRST PLACE.)

Put photocopies of your passport, other forms of ID, credit/debit cards (front & back), the numbers for credit reporting agencies and travel docs in the lining of your suitcase. At the hotel, put those in the room safe if they have one. Then, if you do lose items/have things pickpocketed, you have what you need to cancel the cards and report to the agencies.

BermudaSooner
1/4/2010, 04:50 PM
You guys are a bunch of buzzkill.

Traveling in Europe is safe and great fun. Just keep the following in mind:

1. Don't be "the loud American." If you don't know what I mean, you'll spot him within 30 seconds at any tourist attraction.
2. Stop converting the prices when you see something. Yes, a Big Mac really does cost $6.50. Multiplying everything by 2 or 1.5 depending upon where you are is just depressing. Have fun and worry about it when you get back.
3. See rule #1

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2010, 06:02 PM
Leave your "Kill the Muslims" t-shirt at home.

StoopTroup
1/4/2010, 06:10 PM
Don't stand around with your hands on your hips.

http://www.awilliamsleather.com/images/mens/MJ275b.jpeg

soonerbrat
1/4/2010, 06:17 PM
remember, pickpockets come in all sizes. sometimes they have the kids do the dirty work. and yes, tell your bank and credit card companies that you are traveling out of the country so they won't freeze your account. don't use ATM's, go to the bank if you need to exchange money. the charges are outrageous and you'll get charged more than once. And take traveler's checks instead of cash. it's probably too late to order money from your own bank here in the US, but you can ask them. I'm not sure about now, but as recently as 4 years ago, England didn't take Euros. I don't know about Hungary.

Chuck Bao
1/4/2010, 06:41 PM
Use credit cards as much as possible. I think there was a disagreement on this before here. I have found my Citibank credit card offers much better exchange rates than I would have gotten at the airport or commercial banks in that country. Maybe that is an Asian thing.

Viking Kitten
1/4/2010, 06:44 PM
I've been to England, France, Switzerland and Italy, and the only trouble I had with pickpockets was an attempt by some gypsy children at the train station in Rome. Use common sense, try to learn even a few phrases of the local language and don't act like a tool. Eat and drink as much of the local color as you can... it won't bother you that the Big Mac costs $6.50 if you promise yourself right now you won't eat at McDonalds while you're there because for God's sake you're in Europe and why in the hell would you eat that when there is authentic food probably right across the street?

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 07:48 PM
I've been to England, France, Switzerland and Italy, and the only trouble I had with pickpockets was an attempt by some gypsy children at the train station in Rome. Use common sense, try to learn even a few phrases of the local language and don't act like a tool. Eat and drink as much of the local color as you can... it won't bother you that the Big Mac costs $6.50 if you promise yourself right now you won't eat at McDonalds while you're there because for God's sake you're in Europe and why in the hell would you eat that when there is authentic food probably right across the street?

Because British food sucks. I ordered a steak and it still had a huge rubbery artery running right through the middle of the cut. I live off McDonalds when in Europe. Local food is the last thing I want to eat damn it, I want to maintain my usual American diet.

And, no, the UK still does not accept the Euro....thank God. It's the Queen's pound as it should be.

C&CDean
1/4/2010, 08:17 PM
I have to wonder why nobody has ever tried to pick my pocket or gangster me in any way since I was about 17...

Have a good time. Don't be stupid. It's as simple as that. And what to see? The Harry Potter Tour.

BajaOklahoma
1/4/2010, 08:55 PM
When you walk around, be alert. Look people in the eye and protect your personal space. Don't carry all of your money and credits cards with you - keep some back in the safe.
Cameras and equipment should be in the ugliest backpack - they will target regular camera bags. Don't leave it unattended.
Take a cheap watch and no other expensive jewelry. Old clothes, not new.
Have fun.

I Am Right
1/4/2010, 09:19 PM
They drink more that we do, but after 3 years, you will be so glad to get back to the States.

GottaHavePride
1/4/2010, 09:36 PM
Have a good time. Don't be stupid.

THIS.

I have never been robbed in Europe. I have also never had a European be rude to me because I was an American.

And SicEm, you sound like my granddad with the restaurants thing. He had a knack for going to a restaurant and picking the dish they are absolute worst at, and deciding the restaurant sucks based on that experience.

If you go to a French restaurant in Paris, don't order a hamburger and be surprised when it sucks. They only put those on the menu for idiot American tourists. Order the damn coq au vin or a bouillabaisse.

btk108
1/4/2010, 09:39 PM
I have to wonder why nobody has ever tried to pick my pocket or gangster me in any way since I was about 17...

Have a good time. Don't be stupid. It's as simple as that. And what to see? The Harry Potter Tour.

Probably because you would see the big as* club it would take to bring you down way before they ever got close to you :D

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 09:50 PM
If you go to a French restaurant in Paris, don't order a hamburger and be surprised when it sucks. They only put those on the menu for idiot American tourists. Order the damn coq au vin or a bouillabaisse.

Oh, I've been to plenty of French restaurants in Paris. I always order the most American sounding dish on the menu.

I have a very pedestrian taste in food. Most of my diet is hamburgers, pizza, chicken strips, and pasta of one sort or another. That's 99% of what I eat.

Anyway, I hated French food. The only good thing I can say about it are their bakeries...they do make really really delicious baked goods.

But I have so many complaints about Paris that I don't even want to get started. I hate that f'ing city with the passion of a thousand suns. London>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Paris.

Amsterdam was alright.

My next trip is going to be to Berlin/Munich whenever I can make it. I'd like to hit up Oktoberfest in Munich this year. I think I could deal with that food much better. They sell a lot of roasted chickens and, evidently, they some sort of local BBQ dish of all things. I do love BBQ.

C&CDean
1/4/2010, 09:57 PM
You are helpless Sicem. Maybe I mean hopeless.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 10:00 PM
Heh, I remember the French waiters would get really pissed off when I'd order a glass of coke and a glass of ice.

I don't know what it is about Europeans but they treat ice like it's f'ing gold or something.

StoopTroup
1/4/2010, 10:05 PM
My Cousin did Octoberfest in Munich when he was stationed in Germany. He said basically it was a reason for about a million or so people to **** in the street. Enjoy your food....lol

C&CDean
1/4/2010, 10:07 PM
The only redeeming qualities of the French are food and wine. When you cook with butter, cream, and wine it's all good. **** the french, but they can damn sure cook the grub and make the wine. I'd be a prick to you if you were french over here. You'd go into a McDonald's and ask for escargot and a creme brulee. You deserve to get served **** on a paper plate with your eating habits.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 10:08 PM
My Cousin did Octoberfest in Munich when he was stationed in Germany. He said basically it was a reason for about a million or so people to **** in the street. Enjoy your food....lol

Heh. :D

Someone has to watch.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/bsgtongue.gif

Lott's Bandana
1/4/2010, 10:39 PM
Buttwipe

take it

carry some everyday with you at least because for some reason the rest of the world has real issues with providing napkins

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2010, 10:49 PM
Buttwipe

take it

carry some everyday with you at least because for some reason the rest of the world has real issues with providing napkins

:shudder: That's the truth.

I was in some French restaurant in St. Malo, and I broke my rule about never using public restrooms because I had to take a **** really really bad. So anyway, I get in there and I'm washing my hands and I look for the air dryer or paper towels and all they had was this really old and nasty looking community wash cloth on a rack. :Shudder:

Lott's Bandana
1/4/2010, 11:04 PM
In the UK you'll end up sittin on the throne and if you are lucky you'll have the Page 3 girl From the newspaper to look at while you do your business. Unfortunately, you will likely have to wipe with her lovely face.

Curly Bill
1/4/2010, 11:13 PM
In the UK you'll end up sittin on the throne and if you are lucky you'll have the Page 3 girl From the newspaper to look at while you do your business. Unfortunately, you will likely have to wipe with her lovely face.

Really? These Page 3 girls are that kinky?

Lott's Bandana
1/4/2010, 11:33 PM
With enough quid...

soonerbrat
1/5/2010, 09:10 AM
Because British food sucks. I ordered a steak and it still had a huge rubbery artery running right through the middle of the cut. I live off McDonalds when in Europe. Local food is the last thing I want to eat damn it, I want to maintain my usual American diet.

And, no, the UK still does not accept the Euro....thank God. It's the Queen's pound as it should be.

maybe McDonald's in England....but certainly not in Italy. OMG, how could you not like Italian anything?

soonerbrat
1/5/2010, 09:11 AM
Use credit cards as much as possible. I think there was a disagreement on this before here. I have found my Citibank credit card offers much better exchange rates than I would have gotten at the airport or commercial banks in that country. Maybe that is an Asian thing.

credit cards yes, ATM machines, no.

soonerbrat
1/5/2010, 12:23 PM
be sure to check the TSA WEBSITE (http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm)

Because of recent events with air travel, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has put in place additional security measures for both international and domestic flights.

These heightened security measures have caused airlines to recommend that travelers get to the airport early. American Airlines, for example, is urging passengers to arrive at least three hours early for an international flight.

Chuck Bao
1/5/2010, 03:06 PM
be sure to check the TSA WEBSITE (http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm)

Because of recent events with air travel, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has put in place additional security measures for both international and domestic flights.

These heightened security measures have caused airlines to recommend that travelers get to the airport early. American Airlines, for example, is urging passengers to arrive at least three hours early for an international flight.

Good advice. But, I have to say that it depends on whether you were flying out of DFW on United on a very early morning flight with one hop to another US destination before the international flight.

I am always at the airport two hours in advance and almost missed my flight for the last 6-7 times. It wasn't security, just incompetence, laziness, very poor corporate planning at the check-in counter. Three hours in advance would just be stupid. The check-in counter doesn't open until one and a half hours before flight departure.

I am always among the first waiting in line to check-in and the check-in queue is directed to use one of those automated machines to get the boarding pass. Except, those automated machines cannot handle international flights and multiple boarding passes.

Check-in staff don't care and they must be really mad at the world for having to go to work so early. Although I tell them that I have connecting international flights, they must assume that I am stupid or lying or gullible and tell me that I must call the service center to figure out what is wrong. The dude on the phone tells me what I already know that the machines can't handle international travel and I am told that I have to get in the special help line.

All of the Asians flying out of DFW and going home are getting the same message and there are a lot of them on the DFW-SF flight. The special help line grows to maybe 50 people or so and to the point that it looks like half of them will miss the plane and their connecting international flights.

Why would an airline purposedly create more problems and stress for paying customers? I can understand and fully appreciate tightened security, but I can't understand having to run to the plane just before departure because the check-in is so poorly organized to handle international travelers.

I have been flying internationally for more than 25 years and it is my experience that DFW is the worst airport in the world for international travelers.

Soonerbrat, I hadn't thought about using an ATM machine and that was and is never an option from a Thai bank account. So, I am learning from you. I have to convert baht into dollars and then convert again to the local currency. It is a lose-lose thing. It is still far, far better than trying to take my baht to a bank overseas and seeing it marked down 20-30% on WTF are we going to do with that ****. Citibank charges at the prevailing offshore rate which is very competitive despite how ever small the charge.

HBick
1/5/2010, 11:42 PM
Thank you all for the advice, this has been helpful. The TSA website was one thing that our professor has been emailing us about daily. It's going to be quite the experience, I'm excited for Hungary and London. I know we are going to the Budapest Museum of Fine Arts, the Schirn in Frankfurt, and we're also going to Tate in London.

And on the currency thing, I went in last Friday to try and exchange dollars for euros at the downtown OKC Chase branch, and they said it would take 4 to 5 business days.

There are 11 girls and 4 guys going on this trip, I'm sure I'll have some good stories, I'll post anything I find particularly interesting.

Thank you again to everyone who contributed, this has been a great help.

HBick

HBick
1/5/2010, 11:48 PM
Carry Condoms
Nuff said

One of my pledge brothers bought me a box of the trojan ecstacy rubbers for Christmas. He thought it was funny. I still think it was the most practical gift I got from any one.

Chuck Bao
1/5/2010, 11:51 PM
Thank you all for the advice, this has been helpful. The TSA website was one thing that our professor has been emailing us about daily. It's going to be quite the experience, I'm excited for Hungary and London. I know we are going to the Budapest Museum of Fine Arts, the Schirn in Frankfurt, and we're also going to Tate in London.

And on the currency thing, I went in last Friday to try and exchange dollars for euros at the downtown OKC Chase branch, and they said it would take 4 to 5 business days.

There are 11 girls and 4 guys going on this trip, I'm sure I'll have some good stories, I'll post anything I find particularly interesting.

Thank you again to everyone who contributed, this has been a great help.

HBick

Dude, I wouldn't think that OKC would be the right place to convert dollars into euros, even at Chase. Think about it. How many Europeans are flying into OKC and converting their euros into dollars. Very few I suspect. Keep your dollars and convert when you get into the country. Relax you'll have a great trip and you will definitely have to post about it.

Chuck Bao
1/6/2010, 12:05 AM
One of my pledge brothers bought me a box of the trojan ecstacy rubbers for Christmas. He thought it was funny. I still think it was the most practical gift I got from any one.

Now if you want recommendations on bars...London is great. If you want friendly girls and I mean really friendly girls go to Manchester or Liverpool.

Frankfurt is like the financial capital but not so much as a night hotspot. I had better luck in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2010, 12:19 AM
And whatever you do, don't catch a ride with a motorcycle taxi.

soonerbrat
1/6/2010, 01:42 PM
Dude, I wouldn't think that OKC would be the right place to convert dollars into euros, even at Chase. Think about it. How many Europeans are flying into OKC and converting their euros into dollars. Very few I suspect. Keep your dollars and convert when you get into the country. Relax you'll have a great trip and you will definitely have to post about it.

they keep foreign money at the main vault in OKC for Bank of America. They use the daily rate to convert it, so the day you order it it might be different than when they actually fill the order. They have to send it to the main vault for exchange, and then send it back and they notify you when you can pick it up. BOA did not charge a fee for exchanging it. (I used to work there)

Probably the best way to exchange it is to use traveler's checks and exchange them at a bank overseas.

soonerbrat
1/6/2010, 01:43 PM
traveler's checks are insured, so if you lose them, they can be replaced! Cash can not! There's a nominal fee for traveler's checks at BOA unless you are an Advantage customer, then there is no fee. but if you talk real nice to the teller at your bank, she might not charge you a traveler's check fee, either ;)

Chuck Bao
1/6/2010, 03:36 PM
they keep foreign money at the main vault in OKC for Bank of America. They use the daily rate to convert it, so the day you order it it might be different than when they actually fill the order. They have to send it to the main vault for exchange, and then send it back and they notify you when you can pick it up. BOA did not charge a fee for exchanging it. (I used to work there)

Probably the best way to exchange it is to use traveler's checks and exchange them at a bank overseas.

Yeah, like I posted earlier - there isn't much reason to buy foreign currency in OKC. But, I very much like the idea that OKC is a little more international than I had previously thought with the branches of the big US banks, even if you have to wait a day or so to get the foreign currency. Thanks for the clarification, Brat.

As Brat said, keep dollars largely in travelers checks that can be redeemed if lost or stolen. Airports globally all take credit cards even for very small purchases like bottled water. You should never have a reason to carry much cash. Oh, keep a few five and ten dollar bills on you if you need to have alcohol re-inforcement on the flight. In Europe they have those foreign exchange kiosks everywhere. Exchange enough at the airport for the taxi to your hotel or dinner that evening. Ask the hotel where you can get the best exchange rate but don't exchange your money at the hotel.

Fraggle145
1/6/2010, 05:31 PM
...DFW is the worst airport in the world...

Atlanta is the worst airport in the world. :mad:

soonerbrat
1/6/2010, 05:37 PM
get your doctor to prescribe you a valium or something to take at the beginning of the flight so you can sleep on your way there and wake up fresh and ready to go. And get some noise canceling headphones and one of those neck pillows and a sleeping mask for the flight.

HBick
1/8/2010, 01:43 PM
All right, I will post a few updates throughout the trip on this thread, since there is no need for a new one.

Travel:

We arrived at Will Rogers at 9:30 Wednesday morning, security was easy, took off at noon, landed at 3:45 local time at Dulles. Ate at Five Guys (damn good), got to our gate as our flight was half way through boarding which was great since 1st class was just finishing up boarding. We were supposed to depart at 6:30 PM, didn't take off until 7:15, some jack *** who checked his bags, never showed up for the flight, which meant we had to wait while they unloaded his bags. The flight over the Atlantic was easy, minus the fact I got stuck in the middle of my row, with a german kid on one side who was fine, and a german woman on my right who smelled awful and breathed on me while she slept for 4 hours. Frankfurt would have been easy, if we didn't spend 2 hours in international security etc... Flew to Vienna for a 3 and a half hour layover. Vienna airport = bore. Like a german speaking will rogers. One interesting note, unlocked iPhone 3GS retailed for 1,099 euros. Got into Budapest about 6PM local time, what a joke of an airport. Looked and smelled (assuming) like a demilitarized zone.

Budapest Today:

Woke up early and we went to the Budapest Museum of Fine Arts. Talked to the head of their marketing department and learned some interesting stuff that would only appeal to marketing and advertising people, so I'll spare you all. Then we saw the Botticelli to Titian exhibit. They had that famous painting, "The Lady" on loan from Warsaw, and it was impressive. Then we headed down to Andressi (sp?) St. and visited Grey Advertising. Very impressive, they are in charge of Chevrolet in Central and Eastern Europe, and also have the entire BAT (british american tobacco) account. And after that just ate dinner at some local joint, food sucked, but 4 of us and a nice bottle of wine, $54. Not too bad at all. Getting ready to take a power nap before heading to the this bar down the street so I'll wrap up.

Last night at the same bar, only like 5 of us ventured out since all the girls stayed in and slept except for 1. This Hungarian kid, Balentine kicked our *** repeadetely in fooseball, or "cho cho" here. He then proceeded to make fun of one of the kids I was with because he ordered a shot of jager straight, not some goofy hungarian mix. They were riding him pretty hard, so he ordered some good ol' Jack Daniel's. The one who was making fun of him, slammed back his shot, looked at us, and then threw up all over himself.

Point America

more to come later

HBick

NormanPride
1/8/2010, 02:04 PM
Last night at the same bar, only like 5 of us ventured out since all the girls stayed in and slept except for 1. This Hungarian kid, Balentine kicked our *** repeadetely in fooseball, or "cho cho" here. He then proceeded to make fun of one of the kids I was with because he ordered a shot of jager straight, not some goofy hungarian mix. They were riding him pretty hard, so he ordered some good ol' Jack Daniel's. The one who was making fun of him, slammed back his shot, looked at us, and then threw up all over himself.

Point America

more to come later

HBick

****ing awesome. Keep 'em coming!

Lott's Bandana
1/9/2010, 01:16 AM
Atlanta is the worst airport in the world. :mad:

LAX gawdawful