PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from the 50 yard line of the Sun Bowl

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2010, 08:03 PM
Stanford Band- Covered in another thread...I had no strong feelings one way or the other...In the pre game, their announced said something something and then the band spelled out TEXAS....the halftime show was supposed to be some kind of duel between OU and Stanford..they formed a tic tac toe formation that Stanford won...they then formed a pong game which Oklahoma won and bowling which Stanford won..really kinda got bored with them...

The Game- I DVRd the game and haven't watched it but the guy next to me had his binoculars on Adrian Taylor when his injury happened..His reaction alone caused me to turn my head until they got him carted....terrible officiating in the game....usually the person throwing the flag was the official furthest from the play...On Madu's big KO return, the flag was thrown from an official at least 35 yards away while one official was about 5 yards away.....same thing happened on a PI call on the stanford D....just a sorry crew....

Stanford's pass defense was one of the worst I've seen this season..probably I would equate their secondary to Tulsa's.....just not a talented group....A lot of the big plays ie Ratteree's big catch was just busted coverage which they did over and over again...awful...They did good against the run, but who hasn't stopped the OU run game....

Stanford's offense was totally fluky....pass plays where he just chunked the ball, but OU secondary guys were nowhere to be found.......

The OU defense did OK but had a hard time getting a good pass rush at the beginning....Also a lot of confusion about what personnel was supposed to be on the field..they had to call a timeout I believe because at one point they had 13 men on the field...just major confusion in the first half with the D guys with their hands in the air looking at the sidelines...It was irritating watching the mess from behind the bench....WHen the stanford O went big, OU was trying to match up with them....Ronnell played a lot in the big D sets....Everytime they came to the sidelines, it seemed Venables was ripping into Reynolds in the 1st half...

Broyles...wow...Miller had some good catches...We've turned into the TT offense except not as good at it....can't run and have to pass 50 times to get 400 yards...cept for a few bad passes, Jones played exceptionally well, especially on 3rd down...

Toby Gerhart- I read the other threads here giving him props, but I wasn't all that impressed with him...a guy getting 130 yards on 32 carries is like a guy shooting 40 times and scoring 40 points....with that many attempts he is gonna get his yards....take away that 26 yard run and he had 31 carries for 106 yards...not impressive...reminds me of a slower brandon jacobs....I m less on his bandwagon now than I was before the game.

The Crowd- Seemed to be about 1/3 Stanford, 1/3 OU, and 1/3 locals...the locals where all the losers wearing the shorthorn stuff....and I will say I've never seen so many people kicked out of the football game by the police...A lot of the locals where cheering for Stanford and mouthing the Sooners...they were selling pints of beer for 8 bucks and many of those fools had so many that after halftime, the fights began....I personally was getting tired of them, and called about 10 of them in front of me idiots for not knowing the rules of football and brought up memories of 77-0 over UTEP and how much they sucked...

Anyway, I personally saw 12 people kicked out in our section and about 8 in the next for fights...bunch of morons..

One guy leaving the stadium had on a OU SUCKS shirt that had F OU on the front...wearing a horns hat...Me and him started mouthing each other for about 10 minutes til my wife pointed out this bitch shaves his legs...Needless to say after about 5 minutes of me making fun of his legs, he shut his mouth....

I also managed to get a ROLL TIDE chant started at the end of the game for the horn fans sitting in front of me..Then stuff about Saban sticking it in uterus and making Pony McCoy cry while he pounds it.....

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 08:16 PM
I knew you looked tired after the game....lol

STEP is right. The locals were trying to drink the State of Texas dry. After Half I saw some guy's girlfriend keep her Boyfriend and another guy from getting into it. She was half the size of the smallest guy and I wouldn't want to mess with her....lol.

Best food I've ever had at a football game though. Sorry Huskers....your's is good too but this was awesome. The corn in a cup looked really good but I didn't have room for any after the 24 OZ beers. The Daughter bought this huge bag of kettle corn that was the bomb.

We left the Stanford Side in the 4th qtr and there were still a spattering of idiots talking **** to Sooners but most of the rest were to drunk to speak by the time I got over there.

The game turned out in our favor thankfully. Gerhart is indeed not amazing.

How we let Stanford stay so close in this game was bothering me but I had to restrain myself from saying to much sitting with the enemy. :D

I got silly stringed by Stanford Fans. It was brutal....lol I could have lost an eye!

westcoast_sooner
1/3/2010, 08:23 PM
Kinda wondering how the Stanford fans were. A few years ago, my wife and I went to the final 4 in San Antonio and her Kentucky Wildcats were going to play Stanford. Since we live just up the road from there, a bunch of their fans were on the flight with us - were talking trash all the way there, and in the airport on the way out. Way way too cocky for where their program is - wondering if they were still the same.

I did get a few strange looks from some Stanford fans the other night when I was out and wearing my OU gear - but no comments.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2010, 08:23 PM
And then I saw some Sooner fan thugs gathered at Kiki's later on posing for pics and wouldn't let the waitress do her job...

A Sooner in Texas
1/3/2010, 08:38 PM
STEP, I'd give your wife spek if I could for noticing the beyotch's shaved legs. You definitely need to give her SOMETHING. ;)

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 09:03 PM
And then I saw some Sooner fan thugs gathered at Kiki's later on posing for pics and wouldn't let the waitress do her job...

I thought that was a dude. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2010, 09:16 PM
there was a waitress working the table over who couldn't get my for my big self blocking the aisle

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 09:50 PM
I was tired and hungry by then. We went in that liquor store next door after we ate and bought a bottle of Asti for New Years. The kids are allowed in there in Texas with an adult so they got to go inside their first Liquor Store!

:D

XingTheRubicon
1/3/2010, 10:01 PM
How many times has a team that couldn't pass, ran on us like that?

Gerhart looked pretty good to me. Strong as hell.

SoonerBigD
1/3/2010, 11:05 PM
We were around the 40 yd line, 33 rows up on the sooner side. I expected to be in the thick of the OU crowd, but instead ended up boxed in by locals. There was a nice young couple that were cheering for nobody in particular, but left their seats during plays about a half dozen times. There were a few morons in front of us wearing dallas cboys gear that were cheering for Stanford, but otherwise no biggie. The row behind us was clearly a bunch of sooner hating locals. a group of about 5 older guys and one kid that looked to be about 6. The presence of the kid didn't seem to affect their language any and they were truly annoying. Nobody said anything directly to me ( I'm a 225 lb bodybuilder / rugger, people rarely do ), but there was quite a bit of trash talking directed at nobody in particular.

I didn't hear a peep from the few true stanford fans in the section, nor did I hear anything from them after.

When we got back to the car, we did find a nice little gift from the locals though. My buddies SUV has OU license plates and someone was nice enough to key F*** OU into the back of it.

Way to be classy texas...

SoonerMom2
1/3/2010, 11:14 PM
We saw some people in the middle of the stands being tossed out and figured it was beer. We had an obnoxious local trying to start the wave behind us calling us a bunch of white folks -- fill in the blank for his ethinic background and after us started calling us Caucasions.

Most of the people we met from El Paso were really nice and pulling for the Sooners. It was the people wearing Longhorn gear who were a pain in the neck. First person we met at the game originally came from Elk City, OK.

Still cannot get over all the beer they were serving. Glad to know that others didn't think that Gerhardt was that great.

Stanford band was a bunch of classless jerks playing through the award ceremony.

Petro-Sooner
1/3/2010, 11:16 PM
Vandalists are the scum of the earth. That **** pisses me off the most. My old room mates suv had cars flags and an OU tire cover torn off at aggie in 2000.

Starting to think I'm glad I didnt go.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/4/2010, 02:56 AM
How many times has a team that couldn't pass, ran on us like that?

Gerhart looked pretty good to me. Strong as hell.

run on us like that? Again, take away his 26 yard run towards the end and its about 3 yards per carry...I'll take that any game

stoops the eternal pimp
1/4/2010, 02:58 AM
We were around the 40 yd line, 33 rows up on the sooner side. I expected to be in the thick of the OU crowd, but instead ended up boxed in by locals. There was a nice young couple that were cheering for nobody in particular, but left their seats during plays about a half dozen times. There were a few morons in front of us wearing dallas cboys gear that were cheering for Stanford, but otherwise no biggie. The row behind us was clearly a bunch of sooner hating locals. a group of about 5 older guys and one kid that looked to be about 6. The presence of the kid didn't seem to affect their language any and they were truly annoying. Nobody said anything directly to me ( I'm a 225 lb bodybuilder / rugger, people rarely do ), but there was quite a bit of trash talking directed at nobody in particular.

I didn't hear a peep from the few true stanford fans in the section, nor did I hear anything from them after.

When we got back to the car, we did find a nice little gift from the locals though. My buddies SUV has OU license plates and someone was nice enough to key F*** OU into the back of it.

Way to be classy texas...

must have been close to me..pic from my seat...and I was completely surrounded by locals..one fat mexican chick wearing utep stuff cheering for OU and the rest of em idiots

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4394/fromseats.jpg

HBick
1/4/2010, 04:23 AM
Stanford Band- One guy leaving the stadium had on a OU SUCKS shirt that had F OU on the front...wearing a horns hat...Me and him started mouthing each other for about 10 minutes til my wife pointed out this bitch shaves his legs...Needless to say after about 5 minutes of me making fun of his legs, he shut his mouth....
I lol'd.

olevetonahill
1/4/2010, 06:22 AM
must have been close to me..pic from my seat...and I was completely surrounded by locals..one fat mexican chick wearing utep stuff cheering for OU and the rest of em idiots

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4394/fromseats.jpg

Why so many empty seats ?

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2010, 07:26 AM
All that Mexican food ST's been bragging on!

olevetonahill
1/4/2010, 07:35 AM
All that Mexican food ST's been bragging on!

Is that what caused the Fumble ?:eek:

MamaMia
1/4/2010, 08:22 AM
Cheers to you for the "Roll Tide" chant. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/toasting-wine_ani.gif

yermom
1/4/2010, 09:11 AM
i thought Gerhart looked pretty good. he'd power through some tackles pretty well at times

fans in my section were overwhelmingly OU fans(up high around the 30). there were some guys behind us yelling anti-OU stuff, but it wasn't that bad, i think two people were ejected at one point, but i didn't really see why. i think they were a touch inebriated

the Stanford band skit was kinda tame, but we didn't have OJ and Reggie Bush to give us crap for :D overall i thought they were fun to watch, at least in a novelty sense. it's nice to know there is a band out there like that

i think i saw the same home-made F OU shirt guy. he was selling parking and heckling us as we walked out of the parking lot he was running.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/4/2010, 09:32 AM
Why so many empty seats ?

about 40 minutes before kickoff...that place was full for the game