PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Reporting USC self-imposing....

westcoast_sooner
1/3/2010, 07:52 PM
sanctions against it's own basketball program. Anyone else think that this is related to the ruling in the Reggie Bush case?

Link... (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/news/story?id=4792634)

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 08:11 PM
Definitely. I think they are trying to head the NCAA off at the pass.

Scott D
1/3/2010, 08:13 PM
I think it's related to the investigation into the OJ Mayo situation and the fact that it's very likely that Tim Floyd was somehow involved in payments to Mayo and his reps.

westcoast_sooner
1/3/2010, 08:16 PM
My thought is that they are trying to make it look like they are going to be more cooperative. Since they've done something about the Mayo situation, and the recent court ruling about the Bush court case, things have gotten a little more "real" for them as far as NCAA investigations are concerned. I think it's really interesting timing - didn't OJ Mayo leave for the NBA a couple of years ago?

Scott D
1/3/2010, 08:20 PM
yeah, but Tim Floyd resigned abruptly last year when the story broke about payments to Mayo and connections to an agent of sorts.

bluedogok
1/3/2010, 08:21 PM
My thought is that they are trying to make it look like they are going to be more cooperative.
^^ This

SEE!!! We do cooperate with the NCAA...:rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 08:30 PM
I think they're offering their basketball program as a sacrificial lamb to get the NCAA to ease off the football program.

soonerhubs
1/3/2010, 08:45 PM
I think they're offering their basketball program as a sacrificial lamb to get the NCAA to ease off the football program.

Naturally, I'd try to argue with you on this, but you hit the nail on the head. :D

I think it's a BS move, and I am so ready to see the circus that's about to be Reggie (The Cheater) Bush's lawsuit.

Dan Thompson
1/3/2010, 08:50 PM
That's the same thing I said in my 12:30 post.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 08:54 PM
deleted

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 08:55 PM
Holy ****! Duplicate post Hell.

Eielson
1/4/2010, 12:08 AM
So is it still USC forfeiting their postseason wins when Mayo was playing? Mayo lost in the first round to Kansas State in his only year...

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2010, 12:12 AM
I love how schools complain that vacating wins is so terribly unfair to the players, but then USC imposes it on itself.

sooner59
1/4/2010, 01:02 AM
I doubt USC cares near as much about their bball program as their football program, though. So it probably wasn't that big of a deal to them. Plus they get brownie points with the NCAA. But you did hit it on the head with the sacrificial lamb thing.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/4/2010, 01:30 AM
For the Bush and McKnight thing..they will give a stern talking to themselves but no dark rooms because that is unethical punishment!

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2010, 02:08 AM
How Mike Garrett keeps his job is a mystery. He is a complete buffoon.

HBick
1/4/2010, 04:18 AM
Definitely. I think they are trying to head the NCAA off at the pass.

+1

I think the NCAA is going to bring the hammer and make an example out of USC. Also, conspiracy theory alert*** Could be used to try and make the Pac-10 more competitive***end conspiracy theory (this one was floating around the rivals main board a few days ago, I found it funny).

I think it just goes to show that every program has it's problem. I'm curious to see which program gets a blemish next. You had Ohio State and the Clarett deal at the beginning of this past decade (even feels weird typing past decade), OU and the 2005 season, Bama and the text book thing, USC with Bush, Mayo and now McKnight allegations.

Anyone care to take a guess which program is next? I'm putting money on Tennessee, only because Kiffin is a train wreck waiting to happen. Although my dark horse goes to Michigan (on top of the current allegations.)

badger
1/4/2010, 10:00 AM
Here's the original story, in case any of you missed it. It details how Mayo and some runners milked the system starting back when OJ was in high school and how that led to some sports agency getting to be his agent as soon as he turned pro.

Link. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3389049)

Jacie
1/5/2010, 08:10 PM

Which their basketball coach steadfastly denies . . .

. . . and if they were, would they tell him?

Scott D
1/5/2010, 08:46 PM
How Mike Garrett keeps his job is a mystery. He is a complete buffoon.

he brings in donor money, plain and simple. USC is a business.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/5/2010, 08:49 PM

BINGO!!!!!!!!!