PDA

View Full Version : Book'em Whorns - 2010 Edition

bluedogok
1/3/2010, 06:00 PM
This came across the news today....

Statesman.com - Bevo Beat: Collins dismissed from team (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/01/03/collins_dismiss.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat)
By Suzanne Halliburton | Sunday, January 3, 2010, 03:39 PM

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. — Receiver Brandon Collins has been dismissed from the Longhorns following his arrest on felony charges.

Collins had not been eligible to play this season because of academic reasons. He did not travel to California with the team last week because of a concussion he suffered in December.

Mack Brown issued this statement after Texas finished practicing Sunday afternoon.

“We’re aware of the situation back in Austin with Brandon Collins,” Brown said. “We’ve talked with Brandon and his family and he has been dismissed from the team.”

MyFoxAustin.com - UT Player Arrested for Aggr. Robbery (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/010310-ut-player-arrested-for-aggr-robbery)
Updated: Sunday, 03 Jan 2010, 3:40 PM CST
Published : Sunday, 03 Jan 2010, 1:16 PM CST

myFOXaustin(AUSTIN) - UT Longhorn wide receiver Brandon Collins is in trouble with the law- the junior, who missed this season becasue of academics, was arrested in Pflugerville Saturday.

He is accused of Aggravated Robbery and Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity. According to arrest affidavits Collins and his brother Ashton, a former UT track star, robbed a man at gunpoint during a drug deal.

In a news conference yesterday UT Head Coach Mack Brown said Brandon Collins was not in Pasadena because he had not been practicing with the team due to a concussion.

Collins was the team's 4th leading receiver in 2008.

KXAN.com - Longhorn arrested for two felonies (http://www.kxan.com/dpp/sports/kxan-pflugerville-ut-football-player-arrested-for-felony)
Brandon Collins arrested while team is in Pasadena

Updated: Sunday, 03 Jan 2010, 4:38 PM CST
Published : Sunday, 03 Jan 2010, 2:29 PM CST

* Matt Flener
* Amy Peirce

PFLUGERVILLE (KXAN) - A Longhorn football player is facing felony charges following his arrest on Saturday.

Pflugerville Police Officers arrested University of Texas wide receiver Brandon Collins for aggravated robbery and engaging in organized crime. Collins was one of three people arrested for the charges.

Collins, from Brenham, Tex., did not travel with the Longhorns to the BCS Championship game due to his suspension earlier in the school year.

The UT junior was suspended from playing in games as a result of academic issues; however, he continued to practice with the team.

According to Collins’s arrest affidavit, officials received a 911 call reporting a robbery at a Pflugerville McDonalds. The caller, Matthew Mangum, 20, said he was robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot of the restaurant as he waited for his friend. He told police that the suspect was the friend he had been waiting for, 19-year-old Marcus Carruth.

Mangum said he went to Pflugerville High School with Marcus Carruth and told KXAN Carruth called him Saturday to hang out and grab a bite to eat at McDonald's.

When Carruth called Mangum on his cell phone to ask where he parked, "Next thing I know I have a gun pointed in my face," Mangum said.

When asked if it was Brandon Collins or Carruth that pointed the gun at him, Mangum said, "I can't honestly say who it was. I'm not used to a gun in my face."

That story differs from Collins's affidavidt where Mangum told police it was Carruth who demanded money at gunpoint and then fled in a silver Chrysler Sebring convertible with a black top.

Officers were able to locate a vehicle matching the description a short time later and performed a traffic stop.

Officers identified Collins as the driver and the passengers as Marcus Carruth and Ashton Collins, 25. Officers found a pistol under the front right seat, where Aa small amount of marijuana and a substance believed to be hashish in the vehicle.

Carruth and Brandon Collins told police that they arranged the meeting with the victim to buy marijuana in the McDonalds parking lot.

When asked if it was a drug deal, Mangum denied those reports.

"If the police want to believe the guys who put a gun in my face, go ahead," he said.

Although Mangum said Carruth was the man who had attacked him, both Carruth and Brandon Collins said it was Brandon Collins who had approached the victim and at no time had a gun. Both said Ashton Collins was the only person who had a gun.

TXBOOMER
1/3/2010, 06:48 PM
What??? No texass law school grad DA to drop the charges???? WTF? I guess they only do that if the player is a contributor. If he was a starter that texass depended on Mack would have played the innocent until proven guilty card. I hope the drunk he let back on the team last week doesn't kill someone while driving drunk. F Mack. I hope Bama rips their heads off and shats down their necks!

bluedogok
1/3/2010, 06:55 PM
It happened in WilCo (Williamson County) and they will pretty much throw you in jail for jaywalking up there if you listen to some. It is a much different attitude than Travis County.

Rogue
1/3/2010, 07:02 PM
Another UT with felon-athletes.
Tennessee and Texas.

Jacie
1/3/2010, 07:55 PM
Not wasting any time to get that first felon on the books for 2010. Remember the spring they had following their championship game? Whorn players were lining up to ride in the backseat of a black & white.

utex74
1/3/2010, 08:02 PM
It happened in WilCo (Williamson County) and they will pretty much throw you in jail for jaywalking up there if you listen to some. It is a much different attitude than Travis County.

P'ville is Travis County. Collins was slated to start before his academic trouble. He would have started next year. What a dumb ***.

bluedogok
1/3/2010, 08:05 PM
P'ville is Travis County. Collins was slated to start before his academic trouble. He would have started next year. What a dumb ***.
Isn't part of it in WilCo? I thought we dealt with WilCo on a Pf project at one time.

Collins was slated to start before his academic trouble. He would have started next year. What a dumb ***.
I agree, that is the case for any of them anywhere that get into this kind of trouble. To take that kind of talent and waste it on serious idiot behavior is just the height of stupidity.

utex74
1/4/2010, 12:00 AM
Isn't part of it in WilCo? I thought we dealt with WilCo on a Pf project at one time.

Williamson County line is right at the 45 toll road overpass on I35. (mile marker 255, I think) I drive to Gerogetown every day so I find useless things to memorize. That is the middle of Round Rock and I don't think any of P'ville slides up that far.

sooneron
1/4/2010, 12:39 AM
Williamson County line is right at the 45 toll road overpass on I35. (mile marker 255, I think) I drive to Gerogetown every day so I find useless things to memorize. That is the middle of Round Rock and I don't think any of P'ville slides up that far.

You work at the Candle Factory?:D

sooneron
1/4/2010, 12:49 AM
Wow, I bet they don't even have the Fulmer Cup standings for 2010 up, yet!

Theskipster
1/4/2010, 04:22 PM
Wow, I bet they don't even have the Fulmer Cup standings for 2010 up, yet!

Fulmer cup is for offseason offenses only.

And this arrest is such bull crap. Remember Mack Brown had a change of heart and now only recruits the players with the highest character. Something doesn't add up here.
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=986855

sooneron
1/4/2010, 04:44 PM
Fulmer cup is for offseason offenses only.

And this arrest is such bull crap. Remember Mack Brown had a change of heart and now only recruits the players with the highest character. Something doesn't add up here.
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=986855

Season is over.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2010, 05:04 PM
Some things just never change.

TMcGee86
1/4/2010, 05:27 PM
that's no way to treat a kid with a concussion.

Mack needs to be fired.

TexasLidig8r
1/4/2010, 05:27 PM
What??? No texass law school grad DA to drop the charges???? WTF? I guess they only do that if the player is a contributor. If he was a starter that texass depended on Mack would have played the innocent until proven guilty card. I hope the drunk he let back on the team last week doesn't kill someone while driving drunk. F Mack. I hope Bama rips their heads off and shats down their necks!

The idiocy on here knows no boundaries.

Brandon Collins was expected to be a starter this year. He was a huge 3rd receiver for us last year.. had several big catches in the Fiesta Bowl (you know. that bowl game you always lose)... and he was expected to be a starter this year. BUT...

He couldn't cut the academics at UT so was on academic probation this fall and did not play in any games.

As for "drunks" on the team.. look into Loadholt's past.

As for criminals on the team... look at stealing jackets.. or gas... and using screwdrivers on girlfriends perhaps...

Keep casting those stones though. :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2010, 05:31 PM
We have had our share, but texass has had their's and about 5 other schools' worth!

Collier11
1/4/2010, 05:33 PM
It happens at every school, I really dont see the point in talking sh*t about it because as soon as we do, one of our idiots will go do something stupid

Ardmore_Sooner
1/4/2010, 05:41 PM

As for criminals on the team... look at stealing jackets.. or gas... and using screwdrivers on girlfriends perhaps...

Yeah, cause having an open container and stealing a jacket are the same as getting busted for robbing someone at gunpoint and driving a car into an apartment. :rolleyes:

Keep scraping the bottom of that barrel to make yourself feel better.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2010, 05:45 PM
I need an open container right now!

Collier11
1/4/2010, 05:47 PM
you have plenty, they are just empty

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2010, 05:49 PM
Yuo have a point!

Partial Qualifier
1/4/2010, 06:04 PM

Brandon Collins was expected to be a starter this year. He was a huge 3rd receiver for us last year.. had several big catches in the Fiesta Bowl (you know. that bowl game you always lose)... and he was expected to be a starter this year. BUT...

He couldn't cut the academics at UT so was on academic probation this fall and did not play in any games.

I have to agree with the 'don't throw stones' sentiment, but the "couldn't cut the academics at UT' part.. that's rich, considering you guys have had some Class A Dumbasses maintain good academic standing down there.

Crucifax Autumn
1/4/2010, 06:15 PM
Hard to believe the guy is dumber than VY.

TexasLidig8r
1/4/2010, 06:35 PM

The same Vince Young who has quarterbacked more victories in the NFL than every Ou quarterback combined for the last 50 years you mean? THAT Vince Young?

:D

TMcGee86
1/4/2010, 06:53 PM
The same Vince Young who has quarterbacked more victories in the NFL than every Ou quarterback combined for the last 50 years you mean? THAT Vince Young?

Troy still has more. :texan:

PDXsooner
1/4/2010, 07:00 PM
who cares, every school sold out to athletics with the invention of the athletic scholarship. we live in a glass house, so let's not throw rocks.

utex74
1/4/2010, 08:17 PM
You work at the Candle Factory?:D

I think the Candle Factory actuallt closed. Looks that way, anyway. Too bad, if true.

utex74
1/4/2010, 08:20 PM
Season is over.

Ours isn't

sooneron
1/4/2010, 10:49 PM
No, the "season" is over. It was about a month ago.

TXBOOMER
1/5/2010, 10:03 AM

No way. Maybe as dumb but not dumber. Couldn't cut the academics at texass. LOL. Try to lazy to go to special athlete classes. I wish we all would quit trying to act like the F-ups at major schools are students first and athletes second. Wake the F up. Most of these F-ups are from broken homes with many being in the inner-city. They do what they do. Every major school has them. I would love to know the statistics for football skollie athletes only graduation rates. Walk-ons that never see the field skew the numbers because lots of them graduate.

TXBOOMER
1/5/2010, 10:08 AM

Addressed most of this already. I'm for kicking them all off of the team. I won't defend F-ups like you do. You are the idiot!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
1/5/2010, 10:21 AM
Addressed most of this already. I'm for kicking them all off of the team. I won't defend F-ups like you do. You are the idiot!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Care to point out where I was saying "give Brandon Collins a second chance?"

Care to point out where I ever said, "Oh.. dont do anything to Sergio Kindle?"

Care to point out where I ever said, "Oh, give Robert Joseph a second chance?"

You won't find anything because those posts don't exist.

Now.. what was your position again on Chaisson and Broyles and who was the idoit recruit who brought the gun to school property.. and Cam Newton and.. well. .the list goes on and on and on?

Crucifax Autumn
1/5/2010, 10:26 AM
Cam Newton plays for OU?????

sooner59
1/5/2010, 10:26 AM
OSU bball player arrested for marijuana!!!

Oh, wait.....nevermind.

Crucifax Autumn
1/5/2010, 10:28 AM
No way. Maybe as dumb but not dumber.

I know he's not dumber...VY got passing grades because he was better and more important to the team...Thus, he passed his basket-weaving classes.

Hey Lid...Which of our guys were both criminals AND couldn't pass their fingerpainting class even with coaches pressing the profs and boosters paying for tutors? :P

TXBOOMER
1/5/2010, 07:20 PM

Now.. what was your position again on Chaisson and Broyles and who was the idoit recruit who brought the gun to school property.. and Cam Newton and.. well. .the list goes on and on and on?

I am all for establishing a code of conduct and holding ALL players to it. Kick the F-ups off of the team. No consequences indirectly and directly destroy lives.

TXBOOMER
1/5/2010, 07:41 PM
I know he's not dumber...VY got passing grades because he was better and more important to the team...Thus, he passed his basket-weaving classes.

Hey Lid...Which of our guys were both criminals AND couldn't pass their fingerpainting class even with coaches pressing the profs and boosters paying for tutors? :P

I would love to see VY's transcript. VY hired Dexter Manley to read him bed time stories. :texan:

Sooner in Tampa
1/6/2010, 06:53 AM

Good lawd that shorthorns have MAD VY idolatry going don't they?

The ****ing idiot got a 6 on his test and UT fans are fine with that (TIER 1 Education at UT my ***)...Good thing Radio can play football...otherwise he would be selling shoes to fat women at the mall

sooneron
1/6/2010, 10:10 AM

Uh, it was YOU that brought up academics. You can't change course midstream. You know deep down in that burnt out cinder of coal of a lawyer's heart of yours that Vince is just plain dumb.

SoonerEmpire
1/6/2010, 05:03 PM
In honor of this thread, I present to you the image that just never gets old:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/veilofdisdain/Miscellaneous/bookemhorns.jpg

Jello Biafra
1/6/2010, 05:37 PM

but you sure as fucck weren't in here beating on your chest about them being tards and making your school look like crap like you try to do everytime we type something on OUR fuggin board. did ya? why do you come here again? and why arent you in jail yet for raping old men?

really?? are we doing this again? care to fill us in on the summer of 2006 for the TU football team?

how do those choice box seats doing for all those judges? im assuming your crooked asss school is still supplying them/

Jello Biafra
1/6/2010, 05:41 PM
Ours isn't

sit back and relax. it WILL be by halftime.