PDA

View Full Version : Semi-local story on Landry and the Sun Bowl

NMSooner'80
1/3/2010, 04:13 PM
(Alamogordo is the next major town northeast of El Paso on U.S. 54, and is only about 100 miles from where Landry grew up)

http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_14108378?source=most_viewed

N.M. star QB shines at Sun Bowl
Artesia native led Sooners to win

Alamogordo Daily News
By Derek Stell, Sports Writer
Posted: 01/02/2010 12:00:00 AM MST

Artesia product and Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones wasn't voted the game MVP. That honor went to teammate Ryan Broyles, who had 13 catches, 156 yards and three touchdowns. However, Jones did lead the Sooners to 31-27 victory over the Stanford Cardinal at the 76th annual Sun Bowl on Thursday.

The two-time New Mexico Class 4A state champion has come a long way from a redshirt freshman backup to passing for 418 yards in the win.

Jones was backing up reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford when the season started in the new Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington, Texas.

A hit from BYU's Coleby Clawson put Jones in the game. Jones went 6-for-12 for 51 yards and the Sooners lost 14-13 to the Cougars.

The former No. 3 high school quarterback in the country didn't get the start he wanted. Yet, even though his team didn't make it to the BCS, Jones has to be happy with how he finished the season.

"I can see a big progression in the way I see things out there," Jones said as he sat between Broyles and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy at the Sun Bowl's postgame press conference. "At first it was kind of hard to see some coverage's, but now that I've been able to play a couple games, the game has slowed down more."

The most impressive part of Jones' day was him leading his team back from a 24-17 deficit at halftime.

"We came out the second half and we said how it was a seven to zero game now," Jones said. "We came out there and executed like we could."

Jones completed four of his first five passes as Oklahoma drove down the field, including a 19-yarder to Mossis Madu that got the Sooners to the Stanford 35-yard line. He then completed a pass to DeMarco Murray, and the running back broke for 28 yards. Jones finished the drive with a 6-yard touchdown to Broyles.

The Sooners and Jones were frustrated on their next two drives, but the preseason backup took his team over the top on their fourth possession of the third quarter.

After a 42-yard return from Broyles on a Cardinal punt, Oklahoma set up shop at the Stanford 42-yard line. Jones completed a 36-yard pass to Trent Ratterree and Demarco Murray did the rest.

Jones had to rely on the Sooner defense to stop the Cardinal, but he gave them just enough to get the win.

The only player who has ever had more passing yards in the Sun Bowl is currently in the NFL. In 2001, then-Purdue quarterback Kyle Orton passed for 419 yards, going 38-for-74 with four interceptions and two touchdowns. Compare that with Jones' 30-for-51, 418 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, and the young Sooner looks pretty good.

Jones deflected a lot of the accolades away from himself.

"The coaches put together a great game plan," the wide-eyed Jones said. "We came down here and it was a total business trip. I just felt the game plan and the way we prepared was really good this week."

Jones was still upset that he threw an interception to Stanford's Bo McNally on the Cardinal 31 that the free safety returned 55 yards.

"I forced the ball down the field a little bit when I should have used my check down," Jones said. "That could have been the game right there."

McCoy didn't hesitate in front of all the media, saying "I forgive you, Landry."

Jones threw for 3,198 yards on the season, an average of 246-yards per game, had 26 touchdowns and completed 58.1 percent of his passes at one of the most storied institutions in college football. That's not bad for a kid from a New Mexico town of 11,000 people.

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 04:17 PM
I went through Artesia on the way back Home. I was wearing my Sooner gear when travelling and about five times got stopped with a "Hey Landry Jones is your guys QB!". It was cool to have folks who genuniely liked seeing a kid from a small New Mexico Town make it.

I really think Landry will be our guy next year.

boomersooner28
1/3/2010, 07:20 PM
I'm in Tulsa and took my conceal carry class 3 weeks ago. There were about 15 people in the class and it just so happened Steve Jones (Landry's dad) was in there. SMALL world. Steve is a really cool, laid back guy. Oh, and he has a couple of REALLY nice handguns.

And before anyone asks what the heck he was taking the class for, or why in Tulsa....apparently his daughter and son-n-law live up here. His son-n-law was taking the class and asked Steve to join him. Steve has had his conceal carry license for 20 years in NM, but wanted to get it done in OK as well.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 07:27 PM
What's this story doing in LeachFans.com? :D

boomerborn79
1/3/2010, 07:35 PM

Funny :D

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 07:41 PM

Some of us wonder what you're doing at Soonerfans.com so it really doesn't seem that odd to us larry.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 08:00 PM
I think StoopTroup has some issues.

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 08:18 PM
Only with reptiles.

Leeches are useful.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 08:31 PM
Would you like to talk about it?

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 08:34 PM
I'd rather eat the left over paint chips you didn't finish.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 08:52 PM
Hey, that was pretty good.

You may want to change your .sig: "Boomer Sooner and Happy New Year (except you, Lizard)!"

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 09:00 PM
Nope. I wish you well Leroy. No hard feelings I just think your stance as unconsciencous objector needs some re-thinking.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I guess I don't use enough asterisks in my posts.

delhalew
1/4/2010, 01:02 PM
Man, I am going to miss McCoy.
"We forgive you Landry!". Priceless.
Did anyone else feel that they saw inprovement in Landry's footwork?

KantoSooner
1/4/2010, 01:11 PM
Tremendous improvement across the board: footwork and most especially, his reads and checks (if I could intuit from his head motion - which is bogus, but it sure seemed like it).
Contrast with Pryor from Ohio State and the difference is stark. Pryor can not make decisions and is slow at being forced into those he ultimately does make. Landry looked pretty solid and sometimes downright crisp.
Give the lad an offensive line and he could be special.

cvsooner
1/4/2010, 01:34 PM
Landry played about as well as he has all season, although the forced throw to Broyles when Hanna was WIDE OPEN and it was intercepted was a real frosh mistake. Of course, with the way our tight ends have not been catching the ball, maybe it wasn't so dumb...but still, an incompletion would have been better.

Landry and Ryan also got totally robbed on that one completion ruled out of bounds...that would have given Landry the Sun Bowl passing yards record. And upped Broyles by one more catch. Terrible, terrible call, made worse by not overturning the call, video evidence to the contrary.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2010, 02:14 PM
Did anyone else feel that they saw inprovement in Landry's footwork?

As in, not running for his life? Yep.

MichiganSooner
1/4/2010, 02:22 PM
These are the kind of sports articles I enjoy reading. Landry is likely the finest athlete ever to come out of Artesia. I imagine the entire town follows him with pride.