PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Sooners Offense

TXBOOMER
1/3/2010, 12:25 PM
Does this excite you for next year? Much improvement is needed. Hopefully, we have a hell of an off season and we have some Red Shirt help. BOOMER!

QB Jones
TB Murray\Calhoun\
FB Crow?
WR Broyles
WR Reynolds\Kenney
WR Miller\Caleb
RT Jones
RG Evans
C Habern\Lepac
LG Good
LT Brandon
TE Ratterree\Hannah

Curly Bill
1/3/2010, 12:29 PM
Is Kevin Wilson still the OC?

Yup, that tempers my excitement just a wee bit.

Boomer38Sooner
1/3/2010, 01:29 PM
I tell you what... I'm really excited about our receivers next year!

And stick Clay, Finch, and Stills in the mix... Should be fun to watch!

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 01:37 PM
Evidently there is way things will get better unless we get a brand new OC and DC...so if I follow along with that logic....we'll lose every game. :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
1/3/2010, 01:37 PM
i hope we run the pistol

OK2U
1/3/2010, 01:38 PM
Don't forget Madu.

JLEW1818
1/3/2010, 01:42 PM
heh. Madu just fitted right into the Slot position this year.. just like Stoops said.... :rolleyes:

hehe.

If you can't run, you cant win. Look at the last 2 games against texas... how many combined rushing yards did we have? 2008 Sam threw for 5tds and we still lost..... ha......

I'm sick of this shotgun hand off ****.... sure we lost our play action when Jermaine went down... but we have to have more plays under center.. gotta have a play action. That is why we were so good in 2008 in most games. We could hand off or play action. we were unpredictable.. this year we are VERY predictable on offense. OUr offense looked like a texas tech offense this year.

Last year we had 50 td passes, and 2 1000+ yard rushers

that's just me

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 01:59 PM
The Shotgun handoff and the squirrelly tebow tosses are tricks that can be used to mix things up...but to base your success as an offense on them is ridiculous. I agree that Wilson needs to throw more stuff at Defenses but to dismantle Wilson's Offense isn't going to improve things at all. He should really be accountable for being predictable unless the predictable part was because he felt that expanding would make things worse. Having to make so many changes due to injuries had to be of great concern if you saw guys failing in practice. Why would you think they could handle more in a game if you saw them barely put things together in practice? For me....If Bob wants to replace Wilson...it's his call....but I think he must not be doing it for a reason. If things don't get better next year and guys don't perfom....then I think some of the Coaching Staff will definitely be moving on. Just my gut feeling.

JLEW1818
1/3/2010, 02:00 PM
yah, the injuries def messed a lot of stuff up too

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2010, 02:57 PM
I'm positive we'll see major improvements on offense next year as some of these guys get more time working in the spring.

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 03:18 PM
Loaded at wr

mehip
1/3/2010, 03:20 PM
Hopefully we will see trust between the backs and the OL. It always seemed this season that Brown and Murray where tip-toeing up to 'holes' this season. I'd love to see Murray\Calhoun\Miller attack the LOS more.

soonerhubs
1/3/2010, 03:46 PM
I'm curious to know if there is a tight end that'll step up and be the next sooner great.

oupride
1/3/2010, 03:52 PM
Loaded at wr
I hope you're right. I look at the Tx Tech receivers and they all seem so good and I can't understand why our receivers seem so average. I know the QB situation played a big part in that.

IronHorseSooner
1/3/2010, 03:58 PM
Does this excite you for next year? Much improvement is needed. Hopefully, we have a hell of an off season and we have some Red Shirt help. BOOMER!

QB Jones
TB Murray\Calhoun\
FB Crow?
WR Broyles
WR Reynolds\Kenney
WR Miller\Caleb
RT Jones
RG Evans
C Habern\Lepac
LG Good
LT Brandon
TE Ratterree\Hannah

I like Millard at FB. He's 6'2", 250, can run and catch. My three starters at WR would be Miller, Broyles, and Reynolds with a lot of Kenny Stills. An interesting idea on the line would be putting Donald Stephenson at RT and seeing what Jeff Vinson could do at LT. Good MUST improve, but I agree on Habern and Evans. Ratteree started to play really well down the stretch, but it wouldn't shock me to see Haywood in there some as well.

icmwhOU72
1/3/2010, 04:06 PM
I just hope that the success of this years freshman class will help eleviate some of the worries bob has of playing young kids. we are going to be loaded at rb and dont forget about MCCay at WR also he is a big bodied guy. We also have five freshman lineman coming in and we are trying to sign a juco tackle named john cullen. I am scared of the qb situation. A friend of mine made the analogy that it doesnt matter how many hot babes you have on an airplane, if the captain is drunk your going down. ha ha. landry needs to improve.

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 04:55 PM
Winning a Bowl game against a good Pac-10 Team and getting some of these youngsters PT this year leaves me with hope for next season.

I'm excited as I was about this year prior to losing Gresham for the season.

JLEW1818
1/3/2010, 04:57 PM
yep
we beat a team that beat Oregon and USC

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 04:58 PM
I hope you're right. I look at the Tx Tech receivers and they all seem so good and I can't understand why our receivers seem so average. I know the QB situation played a big part in that.
once they found the right trio. They played great. Glad the are so young too.

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 05:02 PM
. I am scared of the qb situation. A friend of mine made the analogy that it doesnt matter how many hot babes you have on an airplane, if the captain is drunk your going down. ha ha. landry needs to improve.
landry 26 tds as a freshman
heupel 20 tds as a senior

Curly Bill
1/3/2010, 05:44 PM

Heupel = National Championship

Landry = Not So Much

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 05:58 PM
Heupel was a Senior and was playing his 2nd season at OU = National Championship

Landry Jones = Thrown into the fire after losing a Heisman Winning QB to injury

icmwhOU72
1/3/2010, 06:45 PM
i dont remember many 5 intception games from Josh. Landry throws a beautiful ball, but he makes some bad decisions. He should make huge improvements from this year because he is going to be the number one guy through the spring and the fall and we are about to inject some serious talent on both offense and defense. I am very excited about our team moving forward.

TXBOOMER
1/3/2010, 06:51 PM
Heupel was a Senior and was playing his 2nd season at OU = National Championship

Landry Jones = Thrown into the fire after losing a Heisman Winning QB to injury

Wrong Quote!!! Hold On!

TXBOOMER
1/3/2010, 06:53 PM

In the words of Chad Ocho Cinco "Chile Pleaze"

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 06:56 PM
How many long passes down field did Josh make?

How many attempts were over 20 yards?

I don't want to bag on Josh because he did what we needed to win....but that offense was much different than the one your trying to get a Freshman to run. Sam lived in Norman...bled Crimson and looked to Josh as an Idol. He had a jump on the other QBs IMO and it shows in just how great a player he became from being so Born and Bred of a Sooner.

I don't like these comparisons a whole lot. There are lots of different reasons why one guy had more stats and another had more INTs.

Landry will be much improved if Josh has anything to say about it.

I ran into Sam's Dad after the game and told him how much we'd miss his Son. Great guy.

Boomer!!
1/3/2010, 07:16 PM
I'm curious to know if there is a tight end that'll step up and be the next sooner great.

I have watched some Austin Haywood highlights and that kid is pretty good. I think he will make a impact at the TE position.

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 07:16 PM

Landry = Not So Much

spin spin spin

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 07:18 PM
In the words of Chad Ocho Cinco "Chile Pleaze"

nobody likes the guy who posts facts

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 07:21 PM
i dont remember many 5 intception games from Josh. Landry throws a beautiful ball, but he makes some bad decisions. He should make huge improvements from this year because he is going to be the number one guy through the spring and the fall and we are about to inject some serious talent on both offense and defense. I am very excited about our team moving forward.

you are absolutely right. landry played a terrible game against nebreaska. historically bad.

he was also a freshman playing behind an awful, makeshift, OL and facing the best defensive player the college game has seen in a decade. he also still wins if we could make a FG.

Team game.

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 07:21 PM
I have watched some Austin Haywood highlights and that kid is pretty good. I think he will make a impact at the TE position.

Seeing Ratterree catch that TD was hope for the future IMO.

Add another Germaine Gresham to the mix and the other receivers...man....watch Landry double production.

Curly Bill
1/3/2010, 07:26 PM
spin spin spin

You're the one that brought this stupid *** comparison into the discussion. Sorry if it's a loser for you.

Curly Bill
1/3/2010, 07:27 PM
nobody likes the guy who posts facts

My statement above that you called spin is a fact as well. :O

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 07:30 PM
A weak sauce fact. :D

Curly Bill
1/3/2010, 07:33 PM
A weak sauce fact. :D

It's still a fact. ;)

I don't think it's fair to compare a senior like Josh and Landy either, but then I'm not the dumas that made the comparison first now am I? :D

bluedogok
1/3/2010, 07:44 PM
you are absolutely right. landry played a terrible game against nebreaska. historically bad.
So did Senior, 2-time Heisman finalist Colt McCoy...

After watching how Nebraska finished the season, I don't know if Sam could have done much better with the way the line and receivers played in that game.

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 07:50 PM
You're the one that brought this stupid *** comparison into the discussion. Sorry if it's a loser for you.
More FACTS

26 TDs, 14 INTs > 20 TDs, 15 INTs

2009 supporting cast < 2000 supporting cast

Curly Bill
1/3/2010, 07:53 PM
National Championship > not a National Championship

There! I win again!

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 07:55 PM
Some OPINIONS

Heupel wouldn't even get a scholarship offer from OU if he was born 10 years later.

josh09
1/3/2010, 07:56 PM
Honestly, I really like our chances next season. Our D won't lose many people, and our O can only improve.

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 08:00 PM

There! I win again!

Brilliant!

So Q Griffin is a better player than Adrian Peterson?

Ryan Fisher is better than Tommie Harris?

Scott Kempenich is better than Jammal Brown?

More mind-numbing idiocracy.

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 08:01 PM
Oh oh......LOL!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2010, 08:14 PM
Jarvis Jones= terrible and a junior I believe...I prefer the TE convert....

TXBOOMER
1/3/2010, 08:34 PM
Josh = Ice Watch the NC game Ice Baby
Landry = They jury is still out.

stoopified
1/3/2010, 08:39 PM
I have always thought that using the W-L of a team as proff of how great a QB is to be extremely lame.Winning games and championships is a team thing not a qb thing.Why is it RBS,wrs,punters,Kickers,defensive players are rated on stats and winning is the argument for QBs?If winning defines QB greatness then the the three greatest QBs in OU history are Steve Davis ,Jimmy Harris,Gene Calame.Why? Davis was 32-1-1 as a starter and led OU to NCs in '74 & '75.Harris was 25-0 as a starter and led OU to NCs in '55,'56.Calame was 15-0 as a starterin'54-'56,also having a hand in leading OU to the NCs in '55,'56.On the other hand Holiway was 30-3 with an NC.

At some point individual stats have to count for QBs too. FWIW Jamelle was 30-3, Josh was 20-7.Jason 27-4,Sam 26-7 in career w-l.It should be noted Sam was knocked early vs. TT,UT,BYU in 3 of his career losses.

Personally I divide OU qbs into passers and option qbs and rate each group seperately.

Passing QBs-
Bradford
White
Heupel
Reed
Warmack

Option QBs
Holiway
Harris
Davis
Watts
Lott

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 08:55 PM
Good points on Sammy getting knocked out in those 3 games.

The Florida, Colorado and West Virginia Losses were tough for Sam. I betting the two losses to the whorns will forever be a thorn in his side as a Sooner.

Curly Bill
1/3/2010, 09:19 PM
Brilliant!

So Q Griffin is a better player than Adrian Peterson?

Ryan Fisher is better than Tommie Harris?

Scott Kempenich is better than Jammal Brown?

More mind-numbing idiocracy.

Anyone that watched the games knows that Josh was a better QB in that NC year than Landry was this year. The mind-numbing idiocracy comes from you attempting to use stats to prove what anyone with a clue can see to be false.

Try again.

illinisooner
1/3/2010, 09:38 PM
The 2010 team will be alot like the 2006 team I think (remember how good that defense was supposed to be coming into the season?) but the record will better. The 06 OL were mostly guys from 05 who saw limited time or were thrown into the fire...hmm, sounds a little like our line from this past year. They need to work on run blocking though, my god they were awful at that. Mind numbingly bad for a bunch of talented guys. Simplify the blocking schemes or something, I don't know, I'm not an o line coach. But that has to improve or we aren't winning anything important.

As for Landry...he just needs to mature. Most of his issues this year relate to lack of experience and lack of maturity, and those go hand in hand. An offseason of watching film, working out, and knowing that he's "the guy" will do wonders for him. Let's not forget how many drops our WR's had. Not a great way to help out your young QB. Speaking of the WR's, I wouldn't exactly call it a deep group...I see it alot like Texas had this year: 1 star (Shipley for them, Broyles for us) and a bunch of young and talented, but unproven guys. Running backs and defense should be fine.

The schedule: potential bogey fixtures are away at Cincy, Mizzou, and both Aggies, as well as home vs. FSU. All are winnable but at this time, I'm not confident enough to pick a win in any of them. Obviously Texas as well, but we should win that one. I have no idea how Cincy will be with their new coach, but given how we've played on the road, it's a tough one. Columbia, College Station, and Stillwater are always tough...especially given that Gabbert and Johnson are pretty good and somewhat experienced QB's. OSU...eh, not alot coming back but can't overlook any game at Nose Pickens Stadium. If FSU was in Tallahassee I'd probably pick them to win, but no one beats us at home.

Overall, I see a 10+ win season but maybe not a national title contending team. I can't honestly envision that at this point given the current issues with the team. Big 12 title I can see, national title, not really. And yes I know this is a thread about our offense lol I just got carried away.

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 09:47 PM
I think lots of people expect a National Championship from their Team. If phlorida fans didn't come into this season hopeful as many Sooner Fans were I think most folks would have called either fan base crazy. Neither Team was able to pull it off.

I'm always excited about years like this when things started to improve after so many folks just walked away disgusted and down about what happened.

I think it's times like this when we're about to see something great.

It's a long time till September though. Here we go folks! I hope Basketball can help get me through the next few months.

Octavian
1/4/2010, 03:20 AM
after re-watching the Sun Bowl, I'm more optimisitic about 2010 than I was a couple weeks ago.

Landry in El Paso was a completely different player than the guy we saw in Lincoln...and lightyears different than the guy that played BYU. LJ took his lumps this year and played dreadfully in a couple games. But he really grew up a lot...he's making his reads faster and is generally delivering accurate passes at all ranges. He's more comfortable and the game has slowed. He made several improv plays in the bowl game that he wouldn't have made even in early November. An off-season of film study and more reps and LJ will be more than fine to run our offense in 2010.

The WR corps has the potential to be a stud group. Broyles is the man, Miller has the size, speed, and hands to play at the next level, Jaz is shifty guy that's turning into a reliable target. Madu must get out of the dog house and we need solid TE play. We're good here.

At RB we'll probably be the most talented in the conference. Murray as a healthy senior has to be scary for defenses and Calhoun has the talent to be a workhorse.

Our skill positions will be more than fine to give us a shot at winning the Big XII and competing for a NC.

We need to get the OL straightened out.

SGT Park3R
1/4/2010, 08:49 AM
I just hope that the success of this years freshman class will help eleviate some of the worries bob has of playing young kids. we are going to be loaded at rb and dont forget about MCCay at WR also he is a big bodied guy. We also have five freshman lineman coming in and we are trying to sign a juco tackle named john cullen. I am scared of the qb situation. A friend of mine made the analogy that it doesnt matter how many hot babes you have on an airplane, if the captain is drunk your going down. ha ha. landry needs to improve.

If Landry improves on his statline vs Stanford I'd shutter to think how much better he possibly could be.

SGT Park3R
1/4/2010, 08:54 AM

Landry = Not So Much

I thought Heupel played more then one year. I don't remember him winning 2 NCs as a starter.

SGT Park3R
1/4/2010, 08:58 AM

he was also a freshman playing behind an awful, makeshift, OL and facing the best defensive player the college game has seen in a decade. he also still wins if we could make a FG.

Team game.

Good point. Thanks for reminding me of that. (not being sarcastic)

cvsooner
1/4/2010, 01:48 PM
Anyone who thinks Landry looked terrible at Nebraska is right. I'd add, look what they did to four-year starter and twice Heisman Trophy runnerup Colt McCoy too...

JLEW1818
1/4/2010, 01:59 PM
good point. and Landry was playing a true road game, and OUr offensive line is not in the same category as the texas o-line

goingoneight
1/4/2010, 03:37 PM

There! I win again!

Ohh! Can I play?

Tim Tebow = National Championship

Matt Mauck = National Championship

Chris Leak = National Chamionship

Matt Flynn = National Championship

By that said logic, Tebow, Mauck, Leak and Flynn among many others are better than... say Sam Bradford?

Heh... uh-hum... NO.

Maybe Warshington should draft Tim Tebow since National Championships define great prospects.

Nobody's knocking Josh Heupel. He helped add a seventh National Title to the board at OU, and is currently on a roll producing record-smashers at QB. We owe as much to Josh as we do to anyone in 2000... but be realistic. If "Laundry" throws for 20 and 15 going into the MNC next year, he ain't anything more than a QB on a great team in everyone else's eyes. Jones had a nice walk-through in 2009. He had highs (6 TDs in one game, 5 versus aTm), he had lows (5 INTs @ TT)... he learned how to play clutch football in the post-season. Considering how bad 2009 was, it could have possibly been on-the-field training for OU's next Sam B, Jason W, Josh H, etc. Ah-ha! A silver-lining!

I'm a hell of a lot more concerned with the OL, empty TE stable and receiving corps than I am a proven big-time OC and/or Landry Jones average-to-great freshman season.

Curly Bill
1/4/2010, 06:04 PM
Ohh! Can I play?

Tim Tebow = National Championship

Matt Mauck = National Championship

Chris Leak = National Chamionship

Matt Flynn = National Championship

By that said logic, Tebow, Mauck, Leak and Flynn among many others are better than... say Sam Bradford?

Heh... uh-hum... NO.

Maybe Warshington should draft Tim Tebow since National Championships define great prospects.

Nobody's knocking Josh Heupel. He helped add a seventh National Title to the board at OU, and is currently on a roll producing record-smashers at QB. We owe as much to Josh as we do to anyone in 2000... but be realistic. If "Laundry" throws for 20 and 15 going into the MNC next year, he ain't anything more than a QB on a great team in everyone else's eyes. Jones had a nice walk-through in 2009. He had highs (6 TDs in one game, 5 versus aTm), he had lows (5 INTs @ TT)... he learned how to play clutch football in the post-season. Considering how bad 2009 was, it could have possibly been on-the-field training for OU's next Sam B, Jason W, Josh H, etc. Ah-ha! A silver-lining!

I'm a hell of a lot more concerned with the OL, empty TE stable and receiving corps than I am a proven big-time OC and/or Landry Jones average-to-great freshman season.

I never said those guys are better than Sam, I said a national championship is better than not having one. Would you disagree with that?

It is nice though that you have one of your boyfriends posts as your signature. That's cute, really cute. ;) :O :O