PDA

View Full Version : Too many play reviews . . .

Jacie
1/3/2010, 12:57 AM
I thought the idea behind video review was for when a coach questioned the call on the field. It seems officials use the video review booth to relieve themselves the responsibility of doing their job well. What bothers me is that officials are interrupting the flow of the game to "take another look" at a play and since the evidence must be irrefutable, the calls on the field are almost never overturned. The effect is usually detrimental to the offense, since it is the offense that (should) determine whether they are going to use a lot or a little of the play second clock. Stopping the game for a review gives the defense time to regroup and kill the rhythm coaches work so hard to get their offense to establish.

The ratio of challenged calls being overturned is higher as expected due to the consequence to being wrong. I just think the practice of referees stopping the game to "take another look" should be eliminated or somehow regulated such that the pace of the game is not affected.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2010, 01:12 AM
We're to blame. We demand perfection, and so this is what we get.

I like the idea of giving each coach one or two challenges and being done with it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2010, 01:20 AM

I like the idea of giving each coach one or two challenges and being done with it.Good idea. Maybe 3 challenges each, with a charged timeout if refs' decision isn't reversed.

JLEW1818
1/3/2010, 01:28 AM
i think each coach should get 15 challenges per quarter

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2010, 01:33 AM
i think each coach should get 15 challenges per quarter

Game would probably STILL go quicker!

rawlingsHOH
1/3/2010, 02:21 AM
I wish they would have got the broyles catch right.

Aries
1/3/2010, 08:26 AM
Did you just say that...

>>"...the calls on the field are almost never overturned.<<

yet

>>"The ratio of challenged calls being overturned is higher as expected due to the consequence to being wrong."<<

I'm really not sure how to read that second statement... It sounds like you're saying a lot of calls are overturned because the original call is wrong so often?

Jacie
1/3/2010, 11:51 AM
Did you just say that...

>>"...the calls on the field are almost never overturned.<<

yet

>>"The ratio of challenged calls being overturned is higher as expected due to the consequence to being wrong."<<

I'm really not sure how to read that second statement... It sounds like you're saying a lot of calls are overturned because the original call is wrong so often?

The referees call an official timeout for a lot of play reviews and from what I have seen, it is merely to confirm what they already called. When a coach challenges a call, the overturn rate is in the 20-30 percent range. And if a call wasn't wrong in the first place, then it would not have been overturned.

Curly Bill
1/3/2010, 12:00 PM
Coaches should get two challenges. If you use a challenge and you are proven right you get to keep the challenge for later use, if you challenge and are proven wrong you are charged with the loss of a challenge and lose a time out as well.

TUSooner
1/3/2010, 12:08 PM

I like the idea of giving each coach one or two challenges and being done with it.

I agree with Liz on this. Review of every play kills the game.

cvsooner
1/3/2010, 12:50 PM
And yet we still don't get perfection, either. I'm ready for commentators to stop using the phrase "indisputable video evidence" because I've seen a number of calls reviewed this seasonand what you see on tape doesn't matter (Broyles sidelines catch, for example). The call stands, though it was wrong. Just serves to tick me off more because I was hoping for justice.