PDA

View Full Version : Player Hit By Ref Flag?

Judge Smails
1/3/2010, 12:24 AM
Who was it several years ago that was blinded by a ref's flag?

I think it was in the NFL?

Just wondering what long term effect it had on his sight??

sooner59
1/3/2010, 12:26 AM
Some lineman for the Cleveland Browns.

badger
1/3/2010, 12:52 AM
Orlando Brown. Here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1028914/index.htm)'s more info if you're interested.

EDIT: Fixed link

AzianSooner
1/3/2010, 12:55 AM
if a player is hit by a red flag, it should be considered at intentional assault by the ref (a.k.a. zebra)

The player should be allowed to have full medical attention and treatment at the moment and the right to sue.

badger
1/3/2010, 01:00 AM
Oh, he sued. He got OJ's lawyer to bring a $200 million suit against the NFL... settled outside of court for an undisclosed sum, lol.

However, the injury proved to not be career-ending. The league initially kicked him out of the game and suspended him indefinitely, but his suspension was lifted months later and after getting cut by the Browns initially, he was re-signed several years later after he recovered from the serious eye injury.

Also, Azian... wouldn't it be a coach who throws a red flag, not a ref? ;)

LRoss
1/3/2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah, it wasn't a red flag, it was a yellow flag.

NCSooner18
1/3/2010, 01:18 AM
I am constantly amazed that refs still throw flags at or very near players all the time.

sooner59
1/3/2010, 01:32 AM
Whats wrong with them simply tossing them up in the air? If you see a penalty, toss the yeller flag, no need to nail a dude with it.

budbarrybob
1/3/2010, 01:21 PM
Whats wrong with them simply tossing them up in the air? If you see a penalty, toss the yeller flag, no need to nail a dude with it.

When a ref throws a flag he also tries to get it in the general area of the location of the penalty so a spot foul and yardage can be "correctly" assessed. Was perhaps too good of a throw. What was also an issue was that he filled the flag with buckshot instead of rice.
Sometimes crap just happens and this world now wants to blame everyone else for their bad luck. On that note however, I do think he should have been compensated but not outside of his pay grade.