PDA

View Full Version : Furious about the missed offsides call in the OSU/Miss game

jkjsooner
1/2/2010, 06:10 PM
Is it wrong that I'm furious about the missed offsides call in the Cotton Bowl? I'm not Oregon furious by any stretch but there is no excuse for missing that call and it really changed the game.

Wow! I'm really sick of terrible officiating. The on field officiating seems to be getting worse and worse every year. It almost seems like they're getting sloppy expecting replay to back them up.

Ironically, the one call that still ticks me off is one the replay officials got right. It was at the end of infamous TTech game a few years ago. The ball bounced off the Tech receiver's hands and bounced into the stands. Even with review getting it right, these guys should be accountable for their on the field calls. Too many times it ends up in a situation where review can't help them out.

Sorry, guys, but I root strongly for Big 12 vs SEC and OSU got screwed. If I were Gundy I'd be throwing a temper tantrum right about now.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 06:12 PM
No one deserved to win that game anyway.

Soonerus
1/2/2010, 06:13 PM

Boy, that is the truth...but the missed offsides was a huge miss....

jkjsooner
1/2/2010, 06:14 PM

To be honest I only saw about 10 minutes of the game. I've read about the turnovers/etc.

Either way, that's besides the point.

Flagstaffsooner
1/2/2010, 06:15 PM
Sorry, guys, but I root strongly for Big 12 vs SEC and OSU got screwed. If I were Gundy I'd be throwing a temper tantrum right about now.

Are you forty?;)

Crimsontothecore
1/2/2010, 06:18 PM
I agree, and furthermore how dare the refs to cause the chokes to turn the ball over 7 times!!!!:rolleyes:

jkjsooner
1/2/2010, 06:19 PM
The thing I hate hearing are that officials are part of the game like they're mistakes are just a valid as a QB throwing an interception. Official mistakes happen but they're a necessary evil. We watch games to see QB's throw interception as well as TD's, we watch to see RB's fumble as well as make long runs, we watch to see DB's blow coverage as well as make interceptions.

The game is about the players not the officials. We do not watch to see officials blow plays. If I could trade all the officials in for robots or some type of computerized cameras I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Crap the technology is already there to call balls and strikes in baseball via computer/cameras. I'd go for that anyday. The game isn't about the umpire.

gaylordfan1
1/2/2010, 06:19 PM
Was a horrible MISSED call. totally changed the game. I wish the pokes could have pulled it out. It was almost too sloppy to watch.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 06:20 PM
Horrible call yes, but the refs only sucked half as bad as the teams.

jkjsooner
1/2/2010, 06:22 PM
Horrible call yes, but the refs only sucked half as bad as the teams.

Again, teams sucking is part of the game. The refs don't have 300 lbs lineman hitting them trying to make them make mistakes.

bluedogok
1/2/2010, 06:23 PM
Poor officiating is the "norm" anymore, if they get something right I am more shocked than anything else.

I was indifferent on the game but that "missed call" drastically changed the game. If that is called, OSU has another shot at that endzone in a tie game. If he doesn't jump offsides, more than likely Robinson doesn't throw the ball up for grabs thinking it's a free play. He ma not throw the other one late because at that point they may have the lead and they aren't in panic mode. I have heard people say that "officiating doesn't lose you a game", well that is complete BS and we all know it, it can when things are so obvious and it isn't called. It's not like that was a holding or PI penalty, it was offsides.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2010, 06:24 PM
Is it wrong that I'm furious about the missed offsides call in the Cotton Bowl? I'm not Oregon furious by any stretch but there is no excuse for missing that call and it really changed the game.

No, what changed the game was Zac throwing to two Ole Miss players without a single player of his own anywhere near the area.

OUmillenium
1/2/2010, 06:26 PM
I was pulling against the LosuRs but they got hosed a number of times by the refs. The no-call on the off sides was a game changer.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 06:28 PM
With no flags thrown though, how stupid was Robinson to throw the ball straight to a defender?

bluedogok
1/2/2010, 06:31 PM
With no flags thrown though, how stupid was Robinson to throw the ball straight to a defender?
If you see the NG past your center's rear when the ball is snapped I would bet that you assume there would be multiple flags thrown. Most QB's are going to assume that and make a higher risk play.

SoonerBacker
1/2/2010, 06:31 PM
Have to agree with LL on this one. Yes, the refs missed the offsides call, but if ZR doesn't throw the ball into the end zone with NO puke player in the area, it goes as an incomplete pass and oSu maintains possession.

Thought he had a free play? OK, so try to complete a pass - NOT throw to an area where the only players around are wearing the other team's jersey! Higher risk I could understand. But there was absollutley NO CHANCE of a poke making a play on that ball!
Face it - Robinson screwed up!

VA Sooner
1/2/2010, 06:32 PM
Both teams played poorly. Ole Miss with their true freshman QB looked like he was going to be the one to save them... then threw an INT.

Jevan Sneed threw 3 INTs and a fumble.

Pokes had 7 turnovers, 6 in the fourth quarter. They were off all night.

But I agree... that missed off-sides call was a no-brainer... I can't believe it got missed. And Replay officials were reviewing that play. Too many rules about what it reviewable and what is not... that needs to go.

Get back to correct officiating, even if it means the help of video replay. Boys work hard enough as it is playing football on the field... don't rob them of their efforts.

Then again... this game was really about who stunk it up just a little less than the other. Ugly, ugly, ugly game...

Makes me feel so much better about our win.... even in the Sun Bowl.

Now on to the 2010 season.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 06:33 PM
Just playing Devil's advocate really. Just can't get enough making fun of the pokes after that pathetic display. Both teams and the refs looked like monkeys flinging poop.

boomersooner28
1/2/2010, 06:33 PM
Brings up an interesting point....WHERE THE HE11 ARE THEY GETTING THESE OFFICIALS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL? I can't watch any game where there is not a blatant miss or miss-call of an easy penalty.

I don't get it.

Rickety_Syd
1/2/2010, 06:34 PM
I was pulling against the LosuRs but they got hosed a number of times by the refs. The no-call on the off sides was a game changer.

Bad missed call, but it wasn't the last play of the game . . . OSU had plenty of time to still win the game, but choked it off . . . a game is made up of lots of plays, not just one . . .

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 06:38 PM
823 turnovers and you lose it every time.

bluedogok
1/2/2010, 06:42 PM
Just playing Devil's advocate really. Just can't get enough making fun of the pokes after that pathetic display. Both teams and the refs looked like monkeys flinging poop.
That's for sure...even though OSU is an annoying presence I don't like to see anyone getting screwed by bad calls...unless it is USC or UT :D

823 turnovers and you lose it every time.
Well, Ole Miss came close, 7-5...OSU just out-turnover'd them.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 06:44 PM
I'm still upset they didn't combine for the record.

soonerboomer93
1/2/2010, 06:45 PM
college fb really does make enough money that the NCAA should just hire full time referee's that rotate (not conference crews), who "impartial"

I didn't watch the Cotton Bowl and didn't see the play though

olevetonahill
1/2/2010, 06:52 PM
Of all the things in the world to Get pizzed off about
The Pokes gettin screwed on ONE call aint up there at the Top

Sides I dont give a shat about em :pop:

GrapevineSooner
1/2/2010, 06:52 PM
When it comes to officiating, I live by this credo:

Bad plays/decisions aren't excused by bad officiating.

And vice versa.

Also, it IS possible to criticize officiating without insinuating it was the reason your team lost a game.

Would it have been 100% the officials' fault if OU had lost in the Sun Bowl? No. Just as it wasn't 100% the fault of the refs back in Oregon in 2006.

But they still should be held accountable and held to the same standards we hold players and coaches. If an official misses a crucial call, I want to see the conference that employs them for their services admit it.

The NFL does. And they even make their Director of Officiating available every week on their own network to discuss controversial calls.

Yes, what a concept!! Actually paying attention to the elephant in the room. And addressing it!!

recemp
1/2/2010, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=soonerboomer93;2805331]college fb really does make enough money that the NCAA should just hire full time referee's that rotate (not conference crews), who "impartial"

You hit it on the head. They make how much per game? And we have insurance agents working part time calling the game.

It might work to have a ref up in the booth that can call penalties as well. Sometimes you have a better perspective up in the nose bleeds.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 07:13 PM
They pay those part timers 100-200,000 a year. That's the really sad part.

bluedogok
1/2/2010, 07:23 PM
They pay those part timers 100-200,000 a year. That's the really sad part.
No they don't, maybe about 50-60,000 a year. The only officials getting into those levels are the full timers in MLB and NBA, the NFL officials are getting around your low number which isn't bad for part time work.

My wife said when she was officiating that DI-A officials got between 2,500-3,000 a game, the DI-AA officials made about 1,200 a game and I doubt they have increased the rate that much to get to the six figure range in the 8 years since she quit. She couldn't remember if that figure included their expenses or not since she pretty much just worked in the Central Texas region expenses were not an issue for her.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 07:28 PM
The article posted here from cigar afficianado a while back said they did, so I assumed it was correct. It was specifically referring to John Bible, but I would figure someone that bad is about average in pay.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 07:31 PM
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,1514,00.html

In retrospect, I guess the article isn't that clear since they were talking about Bible and another guy and then said this:

Why does anyone choose such scrutiny for themselves? Most officials earn between $100,000 and $200,000 a year, so they're not getting rich. And it isn't as if officiating is an easy route to the field, the court or the ice. By dint of mathematics alone, getting to the top as an official is more difficult than getting there as an athlete. Major League Baseball has 30 teams of 25 players each, or 750 total. It employs 68 umpires. If players are more common than U.S. representatives, umpires are scarcer than senators.

I guess the whole "most officials" mislead me.

bluedogok
1/2/2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah, most full time ones in the majors make that, the part timers in the NFL are close but it is a big step down from the majors to the minors or college sports I think the senior MLB umps like Crew Chiefs are around $275,000 a year. It is a pretty hard and poor road getting up there, I had a friend who tried and got burnt out by AA ball, he made more in his part time off-season job than he did umpiring

Bible was an NFL official for awhile but my wife never heard exactly why he was no longer up there and had come back to Austin and worked Big 12 games. She never had an issue with Bible, she said he was nice to her, now Cristal on the other hand, she doesn't think very highly of him.

recemp
1/2/2010, 07:50 PM
Where do I apply?
I don't know the rulebook that well and my eyesight is failing

Red October
1/2/2010, 08:05 PM
The non-call was total BS. Furthermore, why arent they allowed to review such an obvious F*** up?

Also, it seems like the announcing crew isnt allowed to comment on the blown call? They said something to the effect of "we arent allowed to review the play, but if you look at the replay, you will figure it out for yourself"?!?!? Seems like the play by play crew are sunshine pumpers and cant call things the way they are due to being politically correct.

bluedogok
1/2/2010, 08:09 PM
I think they were referring to the video official, they can't review the offsides but they could review the possession. It just seems a bit ridiculous at times what the replay official can and can't review. They pretty much stated right off the bat that the officials blew it on the offsides call.

MamaMia
1/2/2010, 08:09 PM
Have you all noticed how old and out of shape so many football officials are? Why are they even allowed on the field? I see players having to run around these old geezers all the time. Its insane.

bluedogok
1/2/2010, 08:14 PM
Have you all noticed how old and out of shape so many football officials are? Why are they even allowed on the field? I see players having to to run around these old geezers all the time. Its insane.
This is a big problem for the future, who wants to do it when you have to work your way through a minefield of Craig James' for years just to get to the point of doing D-III or NAIA games. My wife got burned out on it and dealing with irrational parents in Pop Warner to High School games tends to be what drives most out.

soonerinabilene
1/2/2010, 08:26 PM
it should have been a dead ball to begin with. osu had an illegal substitution right before the ball was snapped that made nutt run 20 yards to the line judge. of course he shut up as soon as they picked it off. that said, osu made em go 3 and out, so no, it didnt "drastically" change the game.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/2/2010, 08:37 PM
Have you all noticed how old and out of shape so many football officials are? Why are they even allowed on the field? I see players having to run around these old geezers all the time. Its insane.

yeah...another bowl game with out of conference officials that couldnt get ready for OU to snap the ball and to blow the whistle to stop play because they couldnt keep up....

And OSU took it up the butt on that call..but Robinson should have seen a flag before he chunked that....

rawlingsHOH
1/2/2010, 08:56 PM

Maybe the worst "competitive" game I've ever watched. Horrible, horrible, play, yet entertaining.

ocsooner
1/2/2010, 09:08 PM
No, what changed the game was Zac throwing to two Ole Miss players without a single player of his own anywhere near the area.

Yes, when you have a free play, normally, you throw the ball to one of your own players. I still haven't seen any orange in the picture where he threw the ball.

tulsaoilerfan
1/2/2010, 09:23 PM
wow pokes turned the ball over on all 6 possessions in the 4th quarter so i'm betting they set at least 1 team record today :)

TUSooner
1/2/2010, 09:26 PM
It WAS truly truly awful. But that miserable game practically deserved poor officiating. My advice is to think about real life until your aggravation over an idiot at a football game subsides.

delhalew
1/2/2010, 09:28 PM
No matter how pathetic those teams were, the point remains. Officiating gets worse every game I watch, and one bad call is enough to turn the tide on a game.

Stanford should not have been close to us in the Sun Bowl. Its getting so that I watch this happen in EVERY DAMN GAME.

BU//$HIT!!!

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2010, 10:28 PM
Perhaps we're taking this too far? Yes, the non-call on the off-sides was wretched, but that is the only bad call I saw. OSU cannot blame the officiating.

delhalew
1/2/2010, 10:44 PM
Perhaps we're taking this too far? Yes, the non-call on the off-sides was wretched, but that is the only bad call I saw. OSU cannot blame the officiating.

As I understand it...THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF THE THREAD. Who gives a damn if OSU can't score in a womens prison with a handful of pardons.

We are talking about OFFICIATING.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2010, 10:58 PM
Okay, and how bad was the officiating? We know about the one play. Anything else?

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 10:59 PM
I heard the refs were stealing crap out of the locker rooms. Decline of society!!!!!!

Collier11
1/2/2010, 10:59 PM
In live action it was so bang bang it was more understandable as a missed call than some we saw

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 11:00 PM
The stealing? Were the rapes bang bang too?

recemp
1/2/2010, 11:09 PM
No matter how pathetic those teams were, the point remains. Officiating gets worse every game I watch, and one bad call is enough to turn the tide on a game.

Stanford should not have been close to us in the Sun Bowl. Its getting so that I watch this happen in EVERY DAMN GAME.

BU//$HIT!!!

Just saw Mich St get called for interference with a punt when the guy was two yards away from the Tech receiver....nothing like uniformity in officiating:confused: