PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Paddles

utex74
1/2/2010, 02:12 PM
I've actuallt been meaning to ask this question for years and watching the opening of the Cotton Bowl reminded me. What is the significance of wooden paddles? OU and OSU are the only schools I have seen use them so I am guessing they are an Oklahoma thing but no one I ask seems to know.

jumperstop
1/2/2010, 02:14 PM
They saw us and thought it was cool so they made a giant one to carry on to the field. Kinda like comparing shoe sizes.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2010, 02:20 PM
We like to be spanked.

soonerboy
1/2/2010, 02:21 PM
Okay I have the story, Originally the Ruf Neks started carrying paddles to intimidate the crowd into cheering louder, as the years wore on it started becoming just a part of the uniform and eventually as we know it today.

As for OsU....copy cat sonsabitches

Flagstaffsooner
1/2/2010, 02:59 PM
The NAU Chain Gang has paddles too. It is quite common in spirit organizations.

fadada1
1/2/2010, 03:50 PM
some years ago the pokes started some lame spirit organization in the image of the NEKS. one wanting to be a part of this group simply needed to buy a shirt... they were in. no pledgeship to learn the traditions/history of the school or the club. i also think they started the big paddle thing (i might be wrong). in a nutshell - no creativity points for originality.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 04:27 PM
some years ago the pokes started some lame spirit organization in the image of the NEKS. one wanting to be a part of this group simply needed to buy a shirt and blow the other members' pet sheep... they were in. no pledgeship to learn the traditions/history of the school or the club. i also think they started the big paddle thing (i might be wrong). in a nutshell - no creativity points for originality.

Fixed

PLaw
1/2/2010, 05:07 PM
The NAU Chain Gang has paddles too. It is quite common in spirit organizations.

TTU's Saddle Tramps use to carry paddles.

AlbqSooner
1/2/2010, 05:23 PM
Years ago - even before I was in college:eek: - most fraternities and other student organizations had physical hazing as part of their initiation rites. These often involved paddles where the prosepective member would have to run the gauntlet while the members smacked their arse with the paddles. The ruf-neck, pokie and nau paddles derive from that tradition.

PLaw
1/2/2010, 06:46 PM
I've actuallt been meaning to ask this question for years and watching the opening of the Cotton Bowl reminded me. What is the significance of wooden paddles? OU and OSU are the only schools I have seen use them so I am guessing they are an Oklahoma thing but no one I ask seems to know.

Question is, who is more highly thought of by their respective student body - RufNeks, Saddle Tramps, or Silver Spurs?

Boomer

OUmillenium
1/2/2010, 07:11 PM
Bend over and I'll show ya.

Jacie
1/3/2010, 12:30 AM
Years ago - even before I was in college:eek: - most fraternities and other student organizations had physical hazing as part of their initiation rites. These often involved paddles where the prosepective member would have to run the gauntlet while the members smacked their arse with the paddles. The ruf-neck, pokie and nau paddles derive from that tradition.

The paddles are still there (in the Greek system) but they are symbolic as opposed to functional. The traditions vary but in some chapters a big brother or sister has one made as a gift for a new initiate.

Crucifax Autumn
1/3/2010, 12:32 AM
They all have them in case they get stuck up a creek.

redhawk49
1/3/2010, 04:23 PM
THANK YOU SIR! MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

letsroll
1/3/2010, 04:50 PM
the paddle thing for pokes is called the big stick, according to an aggie, it is carried in by a player that made a big hit the week before. for the cotton bowl it was # 31 i think. guess no one will be carrying it when they suit up for sept 4th game.