PDA

View Full Version : J Jones, the Cotton Bowl and the NCAA

PLaw
1/2/2010, 11:51 AM
With Jerry World, it's time for the Cotton Bowl to rise back to the top tier of bowls - a position it held for so many decades. It should be the home for the Big XII champion or runner up against a BCS at large team.

That said, should the Big XII lose a team to the Big 11, would/could JJ influence Arkansas to return back to the SWC/Big XII. They would be a great fit for the North and with the "rivalary game" format, the hogs could rekindle the fire against the horns.

Arkansas has not enjoyed the level of national success in the SEC that they had in the old SWC and they have not developed the intensity of a rivalary that they shared against utex.

It all comes down to money and we know JJ likes to throw it around.

BOOMER

Blues1
1/2/2010, 11:59 AM
Jerry World is booking some game early next year (like byu vs OU) - I think TCU is one of the teams - the other I forgot...?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/2/2010, 12:04 PM
Lotta what-ifs. Cotton might get into the rotation, for a 5-stadium setup for the BCS. I don't see any of the existing 4 being shoved out.

OU Engineer
1/2/2010, 12:06 PM
If Missouri leaves for the Big 10... I think TCU would be first in line to join the Big 12....

However it would be cool to have Arkansas come in... despite their somewhat annoying fans.

bluedogok
1/2/2010, 12:20 PM
Arkansas is in a position in the SEC similar to Baylor is in the Big 12, they like the money and aren't going to change conferences unless they are forced to...they aren't going anywhere unless they get a better offer than they currently have.

There were three college games at JW this season, OU-BYU, A&M-Arkansas and Tech-Baylor.

ashley
1/2/2010, 01:56 PM
Super conference:
West
Oklahoma
A&M
Texas
Nebraska
Arkansas
LSU

East
Mississippi
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Auburn

ouwasp
1/2/2010, 02:08 PM
haven't heard any talk of the "plus one" game scenario, you know, the kinda sorta playoff idea? Wonder if the Cotton Bowl could figure into that......

colinreturn
1/2/2010, 02:21 PM
Jerry World is booking some game early next year (like byu vs OU) - I think TCU is one of the teams - the other I forgot...?

tcu vs oregon state

recemp
1/2/2010, 11:21 PM
Whatever happened to the Cotton Bowl Parade and the Kilgore Rangerettes?

1/2/2010, 11:33 PM
Whatever happened to the Cotton Bowl Parade and the Kilgore Rangerettes?Did you not watch the game?

recemp
1/2/2010, 11:40 PM
Did you not watch the game?

They must've taken away the fake rifles so they wouldn't hurt themselves.
Somebody's dad must've complained

Soonerfan88
1/3/2010, 05:07 PM
Beyond being big and new, I wasn't impressed with Jerryworld. But then, I'm just a poor schmuck who wasn't in a suite and I understand those are exceptional. :rolleyes:

Saw an article talking about the Cotton Bowl moving up and Beebe said that although he supports a BCS game in Texas (Houston also being considered) he hopes to keep the affiliation with the Fiesta Bowl. If the choice is Jerryworld or Phoenix, I'm with Beebe. However, if Houston become a BCS destination I would be happy with either.

Jacie
1/3/2010, 07:52 PM
The problem for the Cotton Bowl now is that the four BCS bowls share the big cherry once every four years. To get into the mix would require everyone agreeing to do that once every five years. Since things are under contract, don't look for a change to the status quo anytime soon.

westcoast_sooner
1/4/2010, 01:17 AM
The problem for the Cotton Bowl now is that the four BCS bowls share the big cherry once every four years. To get into the mix would require everyone agreeing to do that once every five years. Since things are under contract, don't look for a change to the status quo anytime soon.
Don't forget that they basically get to double-dip every 4 years as they'll hold the normal bowl about a week before the BCS Championship game. This is a huge boone for each of the cities that is in on the rotation, and they would have to agree to one of 5 years instead of on in 4.

1/4/2010, 01:21 AM
Don't forget that they basically get to double-dip every 4 years as they'll hold the normal bowl about a week before the BCS Championship game. This is a huge boone for each of the cities that is in on the rotation, and they would have to agree to one of 5 years instead of on in 4.Money will prevail, however it works out, as well it should.

King Barry's Back
1/4/2010, 02:06 AM
If Missouri leaves for the Big 10... I think TCU would be first in line to join the Big 12....

However it would be cool to have Arkansas come in... despite their somewhat annoying fans.

I don't agree at all. TCU doesn't bring much to the table -- I know that their athletic budget/facilities are well-behind Big XII levels AND we already have four teams from Texas.

And I don't see Arkie being a very good match, either. Little Rock is not a very big TV market, and it would be extremely difficult to attract them to our conference.

If Arkie DID join the Big XII, following a Missouri exit, I see them much more as a natural for the South Division, and Oklahoma goes North.

OU and Texas have been the dominant teams in the conference for almost a decade now. Even assuming a Northern team (probably Nebraska) will emerge, I think balance, historic ties and geography are best served by that arrangement.

If OU and TX want to make their game a non-conf for 2 of 4 years, fine. (NOTE: Don't think for one minute that in a "rivalry game" format TX would choose Arkie. They are far more likely to choose Iowa State.)

sooneron
1/4/2010, 10:14 AM
I'm all for the Cotton joining the mix of BCS bowls as long as it's a Big 12 tie in bowl. I have never understood the Fiesta crap. Our tie in should have been the Orange from the jump. It was basically the Big 8's and we took on the 4 texas teams. If it can't be the Orange, at least give us a little home field.

edit:

Houston is nice, but it needs to be a major bowl venue and even though the cotton has lost some luster, it was never known as the furniture.com bowl or whatever it was a few years ago.

badger
1/4/2010, 10:17 AM
I think it needs to go to a five-BCS bowl format. None of this "another game at one of the locations rotating" business. Just have one site be the designated nat'l title game, even if it means the Rose Bowl doesn't get to have a crappy Big 10 team lose to USC for once.

Jacie
1/4/2010, 03:56 PM
That's the trick, isn't it? Getting the special interests like the Rose Bowl and Notre Dame to go along with what is best for all as opposed to what is best for them. Human and corporate nature being what it is, however . . .

badger
1/4/2010, 03:58 PM
Meh, even with the Rose Bowl's complaining they've still been subjected to a few non-Big 10/Pac 10 matchups recently, most recently being two years in a row of Texazz

King Crimson
1/4/2010, 04:13 PM
I'm all for the Cotton joining the mix of BCS bowls as long as it's a Big 12 tie in bowl. I have never understood the Fiesta crap.

Fiesta was a way to incorporate the newly powerful independents FSU and Miami into the MNC picture...since all the other major bowls had conference tie-ins. probably putting Notre Dame in play didn't hurt either....however silly or distasteful the Irish did have some good football teams 20 years ago.

frankly, i'm kind of over watching games at JerryWorld already. I would like the Big XII to have a BCS game such that the XII Champ isn't always travelling. Playing LSU in New Orleans was a joke. the Florida schools have Miami, USC the Rose Bowl, etc.

KantoSooner
1/4/2010, 04:44 PM
I know! Get the Gaylord Family to finance a bowl! Call it what you like, have it at Owen Field.

I like this better the more I think about it!

sooneron
1/4/2010, 04:45 PM
Focker Bowl?

Dan Thompson
1/4/2010, 08:27 PM
I would like to see Arkansas in the North and TCU in the South. Maybe Baylor should go to the WAC or MW.