PDA

View Full Version : Dear Chrysler: I'm glad we bailed your company out...

OUinFLA
1/2/2010, 08:47 AM
please continue to be diligent about protecting all your assets from any credible threat to your company :rolleyes:

Chrysler making friends and influencing future car owners (http://www.wftv.com/news/22101115/detail.html)

LilSooner
1/2/2010, 09:20 AM
I'm so glad that we bailed them out just so they could continue to lay off people. Chrysler sucks my balls. They laid my best friend off on New Year's eve.

MR2-Sooner86
1/2/2010, 09:25 AM
Why did we bail them out in the first place? Chrysler sucks and is VERY overrated. Should have let them fail.

SicEmBaylor
1/2/2010, 06:33 PM
Chrysler is my favorite of the Big 3, but nobody is too big to fail. None of the auto manufacturers should have received a bailout.

Dio
1/2/2010, 06:42 PM
Chrysler has great looking cars that run like ****. We should have let them fail. Twice.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/2/2010, 06:48 PM
Why doesn't the school just say since Chrysler is a government funded entity, that a government school has rights to the trademark

SicEmBaylor
1/2/2010, 06:55 PM
Anyway, as for the logo situation, it's well within Chrysler's right to protect its trademarks. It doesn't matter if someone using the logo is in a different industry or not.

HOWEVER, a school isn't exactly in any industry. They aren't a profit-making venture. I mean it's a school....Chrysler should have left it alone.

Now if it was a business then that'd be another matter.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2010, 07:19 PM
DC comics sued Schulenberg High School in texass (a 2A team) to make them stop using the Superman logo, so this doesn't really surprise me.

JohnnyMack
1/2/2010, 07:40 PM
I fail to see how Chrysler shouldn't be allowed to protect its own trademarks.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/2/2010, 07:55 PM
I think the issue being that Superman is a HIGHLY successful business venture that has and will continue to make **** tons of money. However, Chrysler has had more bad press than the Tennessee football team. This would have been an excellent opportunity to show support for a community and increase their standing in at least one community. Instead they chose to take a **** on the one thing that wasn't a disgrace to that trademarked logo.

Petro-Sooner
1/2/2010, 07:58 PM
DC comics sued Schulenberg High School in texass (a 2A team) to make them stop using the Superman logo, so this doesn't really surprise me.

A schools mascot is the fighting supermen? Awesome!!!

OUinFLA
1/2/2010, 10:19 PM

I agree with you, however, I also think chrysler could have used the opportunity to create some good press for their company. I dont really see that Lake Mary High School is going to profit from using a similar logo.
As it is, they are reverting back to their previous logo. Cause, you know, high schools don't usually have lawyers in their employment to defend their cause.

So, Im guessing there will probably be a succession of classes from Lake Mary that will "never" own a Chrysler product.

I dont see how Chrysler wins in the long run.

Dio
1/2/2010, 11:12 PM

From a bunch of high-school kids? Although...Lake Mary's girls volleyball team probably could build a better car than Chrysler does.

AlbqSooner
1/3/2010, 01:42 AM
It is a matter of protecting trademark rights.

However, it would have been a simple matter for Chrysler grant Lake Mary High School a limited license to utilize the trademark as their mascot. They could even have had a news conference to announce the granting of said license and gotten favorable publicity. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

stoopified
1/3/2010, 11:12 AM
Lee Iaacoca is rolling over in his grave.

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 11:39 AM
Chrysler made the Ram and on the 7th Day....he took a 40 million dollar bonus and transferred funds to an off-shore account in the Bahamas.

Curly Bill
1/3/2010, 12:27 PM
A schools mascot is the fighting supermen? Awesome!!!

Their mascot is actually the Shorthorns.

I guess a Superman S makes a better loge than a picture of a cow with little horns. :D

Okla-homey
1/3/2010, 04:09 PM
Hmmm. Hello pot, meet kettle.:D

This image shows the official insignia produced by the United States Army Institute of Heraldry for the US Army's V Corps. This insignia has been in constant use since 1941.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/138/chrysler226pxvcorpssvg.png

It is in the public domain but its use is restricted by Title 18, United States Code, Section 704 and the Code of Federal Regulations (32 CFR, Part 507). Permission to use these images for commercial purposes must be obtained from The Institute of Heraldry prior to their use. I wonder if Chrysler asked before they did this...

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/200/chrynewchryslerlogo.jpg

OUinFLA
1/3/2010, 07:25 PM
Hmmm. Hello pot, meet kettle.:D

This image shows the official insignia produced by the United States Army Institute of Heraldry for the US Army's V Corps. This insignia has been in constant use since 1941.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/138/chrysler226pxvcorpssvg.png

It is in the public domain but its use is restricted by Title 18, United States Code, Section 704 and the Code of Federal Regulations (32 CFR, Part 507). Permission to use these images for commercial purposes must be obtained from The Institute of Heraldry prior to their use. I wonder if Chrysler asked before they did this...

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/200/chrynewchryslerlogo.jpg

why don't you just email that tidbit of info to the Lake Mary High School?

perhaps some leverage could be used. :D

Okla-homey
1/3/2010, 07:28 PM
why don't you just email that tidbit of info to the Lake Mary High School?

perhaps some leverage could be used. :D

I'm not about to get involved. However, I would take a bit of sadistic glee in knowing someone sent them a linky to the above post.

Besides, I bet Chrysler already knows. That V Corps outfit in basically the US Army in Germany and has been since it went ashore on D-Day. In fact, my grandpa, First Sergeant Emil Arthur "Homey" of the 56th Signal Battalion (a V Corps communications outfit) went ashore on D-Day right behind the initial assault force. One of my prized possessions is a photo of him taken in a London studio a few months prior to the invasion with that V Corps patch on his shoulder.

Czar Soonerov
1/3/2010, 09:21 PM
Anybody else notice Tom Park doing the commercial before the the news video came on? Goo old Tom Park I guess he's in Fla now. I remember when he was at Lynn Hickey Dodge and they had Evil Knievel up in the crane for 30 days or whatever. LOL.

JohnnyMack
1/3/2010, 09:26 PM
Chrysler has been around since before 1941. Haven't they? I mean I don't know how long they've used that logo, but haven't they been around a while?

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 09:29 PM
Anybody else notice Tom Park doing the commercial before the the news video came on? Goo old Tom Park I guess he's in Fla now. I remember when he was at Lynn Hickey Dodge and they had Evil Knievel up in the crane for 30 days or whatever. LOL.

Evel looked like he was drunk as Cooter Brown when he was up there.

bluedogok
1/3/2010, 10:02 PM
You can find the Evel Bazooka commercial here (http://www.tomparkproductions.com/portfolio-LynnHickeyDodge.html)

He flies all over the country doing those commercials, I have seen him in many places including some here in Austin. His production company (http://www.tomparkproductions.com/index.html) is based out of OKC. Wade Hickey is his President of Marketing.

King Barry's Back
1/4/2010, 11:21 AM

I think you've missed the point. They should be ALLOWED to protect their trademark, but they should also CHOOSE to not be *********s about it.

For example, they could use this as an opportunity to stress that they can not allow schools or non-profits to use their trademarks -- that would basically be abandoning their trademark and they would lose rights -- but that they would be happy to allow, say, a 24-month phase out and would work to help alleviate the costs incurred by the school.

They might, for example, reach out to the Chrysler dealers in the area, and ask each to pitch in $500, or $1000, and Chrysler could offer to match.

Something like that.

Or they could just think out of the box and become corporate sponsors of the school, and require that the school wear their f'in logo.