PDA

View Full Version : Mustang GT stays on top for 2011

MR2-Sooner86
1/1/2010, 07:30 PM
The 5.0 returns to the Mustang GT (http://www.corral.net/new/index.php/the-news/144-return-of-the-king)

For 18 years we have been waiting for the 2011 Ford Mustang GT, because now Team Mustang has finally delivered the undisputed king of the pony cars. Certainly the GT-500 could be considered the ruler of this domain; however, its continually bloating price point has moved it beyond what a true pony car should be – affordable performance that everyone can enjoy.

Enthusiasts have continually put horsepower on their wish list, but until now they have been sorely disappointed. Now the 2011 Ford Mustang GT delivers the horsepower demands have finally been met!

For the most part the 2011 Mustang GT is a carryover from the 2010 model year with the exception of three notable areas: engine, transmission and brakes. These three components comprise the nucleus of the story. It will be easiest to start from the back of the drivetrain and work forward.

Gone is the Tremec 5-speed transmission and stepping up to the plate is a new Ford/Getrag MT82 6-speed close ratio manual transmission. Gear ratios are: 3.66, 2.43, 1.69, 1.32, 1.00 and 0.65 for sixth. Final drive ratio for manual cars is 3.31:1 but optional ratios will be available. A 6R80 6-speed automatic can also be ordered with: 4.17, 2.34, 1.52, 1.14, .87 and .69 gear ratios. Automatic equipped vehicles get a 3.15:1 rear gear.

An optional Brembo brake package is also available which will include 14” front rotors and 4-piston Brembo calipers borrowed from the GT-500. This package will necessitate 19” wheels to clear the new hardware. The rest of the package should be a carry over from the 2010 Track Pack which included GT-500 anti-sway bars, lower rear control arms, different struts and springs, and a unique active handling calibration.

Now we get to the most important change of all. Your first clue that something is different is the return of the 5.0 badge to the front fenders. Restyled to show that it is a modern powerplant, but with definitive cues giving a nod to the 5.0 badge that created the legend. You’ll also find this badge on the engine cover where it crowns Ford’s latest achievement.

Nestled between the strut towers is a new 5.0L (4,952cc / 302 ci) aluminum block capped by new compact 4-valve aluminum heads with Twin Independent-Variable Cam Timing. Compression is a lofty 11:1 which provides 405 horsepower on regular pump gas and 412 horsepower on premium. On premium or pump gas, however, the 2011 Mustang GT should still get at least a 25 MPG EPA rating.

The new heads have round exhaust ports measuring 41mm across and intake ports that are a straight shot into the combustion chamber from the lower profile, single scroll, fixed runner, composite intake. The valves are actuated by new compact roller fingers. This keeps the weight down and allows for larger intake valves. Ti-VCT provides a 5% low speed torque improvement and a 2% improvement in peak torque and peak power improvement of 7%.

Another great addition are specially tuned headers. According Mike Harrison, 5.0L Chief Engineer, “Every Mustang owner throws away the header. So we’re going to give them the headers they always wanted without needing to buy aftermarket headers.” The headers provide significant torque at low speed because the pulses from the exhaust are separated from each other, eliminating interference between exhaust events which interrupt the airflow. Only long tube headers will out perform the factory pieces.

The alternator has been relocated from the valley of the engine to the underside providing space for a front mount throttle body. Another addition to the new 5.0L engine is Electric Power Assist Steering, which removes another parasitic device from the accessory belt for more usable horsepower.

The new 5.0L engine is an all aluminum block, ribbed for strength and durability. It has been tested well beyond the published horsepower figures. Nodular iron main bearing caps with 4 bolts and cross bolts help to keep the fully counterweighted forged steel crank in place. High strength forged powdered metal rods with floating pins keep the hypereutectic pistons in place. Oil squirters spray oil on the underside of the piston crown keeping it cool, and allow lots of ignition timing to be added. Other details of the engine's design were improved crankcase breathing and oil drainback from the heads.

Engine management systems utilize a wideband closed loop fuel control strategy and a daptive spark control is used throughout the entire RPM range, allowing every ounce of spark to be put into the air/fuel mix. Aggressive tip in throttle management provides excellent drivability without the jerkiness that most of us have become accustomed to.

Redline is now 7,000 RPM and according to Mike Harrison, “it’ll stay there all day, it LOVES it!” With the increase in power comes a bump of the speedometer numbers as well, and now 160 MPH is stamped on the instrument cluster. Naturally the tach now shows 8,000 RPM with a 7,000 RPM red line. We were told that the 7,000 RPM limit was mandated for Ford's 150,000 mile durability schedule but that engine speeds of 8,000 RPM were possible without additional modifications.

Ford’s 2011 Mustang GT and Mustang V6 have enough power to satisfy just about every budget and horsepower appetite. With 412 and 305 BHP respectively and EPA mileage ratings of 25 and 30 MPG the Mustang offers only a modest fuel economy hit for a lot of extra performance. At long last Mustang owners can again rest easy knowing that the original pony car has earned back its place at the front of the herd.

http://www.corral.net/images/stories/articles/2011MustangGT/2011mustangengine.jpg

Mustang GT
Camaro SS
Challenger SRT-8

Displacement
5.0L (302 c.i.)
6.2L (378 c.i.)
6.1L (370 c.i.)

Horsepower
412 @ 6,500
426 @ 5900
425 @ 6,200

Torque
390 ft-lb @ 4,250
420 ft-lb @ 4,600
420 ft-lb @ 4,800

Curb Weight
3,603#*
3,849#
4,144#

Lb/BHP
8.7:1
9.0:1
9.7:1

BHP/L

:eek:

Okla-homey
1/1/2010, 07:48 PM
This great news, combined with the fact Ford, of the the Big Three, is the only non-"zombie*" company in the group, helps ensure Ford will be the only US automaker left by 2015.

*Ford isn't effectively owned by the US government having taken no bail-out cash, which was actually just bundles of cash that merely postponed the inevitable for GM and Chrysler.

C&CDean
1/1/2010, 08:26 PM
Yet another reason why every vehicle in my garage/barn/yard has FORD on the hood - except for the kid's Toyota that is a hand-me-down from momma...

Boarder
1/1/2010, 09:48 PM
Now, now Dean, what about that little ricer you had a year ago? :D

royalfan5
1/1/2010, 09:49 PM
Vanilla Ice and I are both excited to see the 5.0 return.

The Remnant
1/2/2010, 03:57 AM
brings back fond memories of my 65 fastback. high rise manifold, tri y headers, mild cam, 9 inch rear end, 4 spd., torque thrusts. Had to get a van for my growing family. So much for the mustang.

OklaPony
1/2/2010, 10:07 PM
Yep, it's cool to see the 5.0 coming back in a Stang, especially a very nifty OHC version. I've got a comparatively low-tech 5.0 OHC motor in my 98 Stang.

I'm really anxious to see the actual street price of these cars.

King Crimson
1/3/2010, 05:27 AM
Vanilla Ice and I are both excited to see the 5.0 return.

so, the ragtop is back so my hair can blow?

royalfan5
1/3/2010, 08:06 AM
so, the ragtop is back so my hair can blow?
yep, especially for driving on the A1A.

StoopTroup
1/3/2010, 11:32 AM
Will it still get 7 Miles per gallon? That's important.

SoonerBorn68
1/4/2010, 12:17 PM
The buzz is it's projected to run 12.0-12.5 in the quarter mile--but Ford won't release any numbers.

Partial Qualifier
1/4/2010, 12:52 PM
The buzz is it's projected to run 12.0-12.5 in the quarter mile--but Ford won't release any numbers.

that's kinda fast for a chick car, ain't it?? ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/4/2010, 01:13 PM
I need a black one please to park next to my truck

sooneron
1/4/2010, 02:01 PM
I bet that thing will handle.

like a greased pig on an ice rink.