PDA

View Full Version : Things that have to happen in 10'

Collier11
1/1/2010, 03:53 PM
These things happen andwe will be a legit top 5-10 team next yr again...The first two better happen regardless

1: Figure out how to run block
2: Find someone who can kick a muther fudging FG
3: Hope that Beal, Franks, and Lewis come back
4: Develop the young DL

boomerborn79
1/1/2010, 04:23 PM
I think this season has lit a fire under Bob. He went out and out recruited, managed to put together a bowl win, and figure out how to play with a patchwork line all year. He can use a new motivation he hasn't had in a number of years with this bowl win. The team knows the injuries and they still got better. Take away the tt game we competed in every game. I think with what they have overcome next year will be a good one. Not to mention the big twelve will be in rebuilding mode, we did ours this year. O'hara will get full time to practice, he will be good before its all over. I can't wait to see our D-fense next year. Anyone started the official count down yet?

boomerborn79
1/1/2010, 04:27 PM
Oh, and to be a legit top 5-10 team, we can only loose one maybe two games.:)

Rogue
1/1/2010, 04:48 PM
This defense was very solid...best in awhile IMO.
Our season was doomed with a young, inexperienced O-line that didn't have much depth to begin with. Then the injuries killed us. OU has as much talent as any team in the country.

So, I think 3 things have to happen for us to be a legitimate top tier team in 10:

1) Block
2) Tackle
3) Stay healthy

Yeah, it's simplistic, and football is not rocket science. It's always more about execution than play calling. About fundamentals more than razz-matazz. And about having the best athletes in the best condition all over the field.

VA Sooner
1/1/2010, 05:37 PM
So much to do but the Bowl Game was a great springboard. I'm liking what I saw... but agree... need to run-block better. 59 yards?

The other question that circles my mind... how did our Defense let Texas Tech stomp us....

XingTheRubicon
1/1/2010, 06:07 PM
the rim?

DarrellZero
1/1/2010, 06:17 PM
2: Find someone who can kick a muther fudging FG

I'm not ready to give up on O'Hara yet, but it was clear to everyone watching on TV yesterday that he was pushing everything to the right.

He was barely making his XPs. I knew he was going to miss it right.

ouwasp
1/1/2010, 06:47 PM
Should OU pull a tex/hawaii and drop Cincinatti?

Man, for a decent, healthy OL...

cvsooner
1/1/2010, 09:10 PM
Tech clobbered us and Nebraska. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Between Stevens and O'Hara, the made percentage of field goals is pretty decent. Way...not so much. I keep wondering if Cameron Kenney just isn't very good at kicking? I'm half-surprised we didn't see him get a shot.

We did run better in the second half than the first, too. But still.

1/1/2010, 09:16 PM
I've always thought a good kicker was underestimated. How many games have been lost by 3 or less?

That said, OL, baby!

I think we'll grow up a lot in 2010.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 09:35 PM
Tech clobbered us and Nebraska. I'm still trying to figure that one out....

Tech's O "system" is too good. It's rare for a team to stuff them and get many 3-and-out's. And it's really tough to stay with them if you prefer playing man to man coverage. The teams that beat them have to have an offense that holds the ball and keeps their offense on the bench for extended periods (or just out-score them). I figured if our offense didn't show up and at least counter-punch with them, it would be a long day because we were too much like NU this year.

cvsooner
1/1/2010, 09:53 PM
I guess I just didn't appreciate what an awesome job the D did last year in Norman.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 10:19 PM
Our D did play well last year, but there was never any doubt our offense could stay with them either - quite the other way around. Last year, we didn't try to them man to man, but for some reason we did this year and got burned a lot.

Johnny Utah
1/1/2010, 10:41 PM
Tech's O "system" is too good. It's rare for a team to stuff them and get many 3-and-out's. And it's really tough to stay with them if you prefer playing man to man coverage. The teams that beat them have to have an offense that holds the ball and keeps their offense on the bench for extended periods (or just out-score them). I figured if our offense didn't show up and at least counter-punch with them, it would be a long day because we were too much like NU this year.

Is that how ole miss beat them in last seasons bowl game? I really didnt see that game but thought that most sec teams (ole miss included) played man to man coverage.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 10:50 PM
Not sure about the man to man, but Tech did start quickly and Ole Miss was able to stay with them using their offense. Also, Tech didn't play well after we walloped them. They lost Crabtree to injury and almost lost to Baylor. Crabtree could barely move against Ole Miss. But the game was a shootout and my main point is that you can't rely on your defense keeping it close and low scoring and hope to win at the end. Your offense must contribute. I think NU's defense was a little better than ours this year, but their offense was worse. Tech walloped that scheme in Lincoln and I had hoped we could do better on offense, but alas, it didn't happen.

SoonerLB
1/1/2010, 10:57 PM
I wanna see a lot of scoring, so we don't have to rely on any kicker!
But a good reliable kicker would be nice too! :)

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah, a reliable kicker that can hit 100/100 extra points ;)