PDA

View Full Version : OU's last offensive series of the Sun Bowl

msooner
1/1/2010, 01:08 PM
Did anyone else question why Stoops/Wilson decided to let Landry use the clock at the end of the game? Why not hand the ball off to a running back instead of letting your QB get injured. Yes Landry did tweek his ankle if you didn't see the very last play. The idea of letting Landry run all over the back field was pretty ignorant, at least in my opinion.

Soonerus
1/1/2010, 01:11 PM
Some people find something to bitch about no matter what...geez...

ashley
They did not want to risk a fumble. They did the right thing. I cannot imagine why anyone wpuld take issue with their decision.

Dio
a handoff gives you the chance to muff it

Breadburner
1/1/2010, 01:12 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138695

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 01:12 PM
Yep, I'm sure they would do it differently if they had to do it over. I'm sure they looked at the clock and decided they needed a few more seconds per play than just kneeling. They wanted to avoid a possible fumble on a hand-off, but in retrospect, that would have been much safer than having Landry stumble around with the ball. And on the very last play, there were only a few seconds left, so a kneel down would have been fine. A sprained ankle can dog a guy for months and really interfere with training - hope we don't pay for this mistake.

sooner518
1/1/2010, 01:26 PM
the first one was necessary. the second was maybe necessary. the last one, they should have just kneeled. he hiked it with 39 seconds left. Im assuming they told Landry to do that on every play during the timeout before the possession when they werent sure how the clock would work out

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2010, 01:27 PM
WHy not put Broyles back there, to do the same thing as Landry?

rawlingsHOH
1/1/2010, 01:28 PM
the first one was necessary. the second was maybe necessary. the last one, they should have just kneeled. he hiked it with 39 seconds left. Im assuming they told Landry to do that on every play during the timeout before the possession when they werent sure how the clock would work out

this

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2010, 01:29 PM

I agree but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I would rather him run around every time than take a knee every time (slight injury to Landry vs giving them about 15 seconds for a Boise-type play by Stanford to win the game) More likely than not, Landry will be fine and this won't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

ashley
1/1/2010, 01:38 PM
Yep, I'm sure they would do it differently if they had to do it over. I'm sure they looked at the clock and decided they needed a few more seconds per play than just kneeling. They wanted to avoid a possible fumble on a hand-off, but in retrospect, that would have been much safer than having Landry stumble around with the ball. And on the very last play, there were only a few seconds left, so a kneel down would have been fine. A sprained ankle can dog a guy for months and really interfere with training - hope we don't pay for this mistake.

Every player has a chance for a sprained ankle on every play. You are pushing the envelope. If the center would have stepped on his foot on the last play you would say they should have taken him out.

Blues1
1/1/2010, 01:39 PM
jmho ~ It was a little of Both - Smart & Dumb -
Landry needed to keep his eye's open and *NEVER* turn his back on the Stanford rush - Take the snap - Just Run straight Backwards facing the Line - "move around a Little " as long as you can and then Kneel Down before you get Smacked...(We Might have also got a Ruffing the QB call under those conditions) - After all said and done - Main point We still Won -- Sure Hope for Landry there are no lasting effects on that Leg or ankle.....From What I could see - He did looked a little Pissed or in Pain after the game - Probably Both....

Dan Thompson
1/1/2010, 01:44 PM
I just would like CBS Sports to show the play clock all the time.

BevoAssassin
1/1/2010, 01:48 PM
I just would like CBS Sports to show the play clock all the time.

Agreed. It was driving me crazy to not be able to see it.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 01:48 PM
Every player has a chance for a sprained ankle on every play. You are pushing the envelope. If the center would have stepped on his foot on the last play you would say they should have taken him out.

The chance of an injury on a kneel down is almost nil. I'm not complaining - I'm just betting the coaches would do it differently if given the chance. Landry looked like Ickobod Crane out there trying to run out the clock and clearly not comfortable.

olevetonahill
1/1/2010, 01:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that , that Stanford D Player took a Cheap shot on LJ ? LJ was already Going down when the Dude knocked the **** out of him .

sooner518
1/1/2010, 01:55 PM
I agree but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I would rather him run around every time than take a knee every time (slight injury to Landry vs giving them about 15 seconds for a Boise-type play by Stanford to win the game) More likely than not, Landry will be fine and this won't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

If it was me, I'd have done it the first two times, then simple math would tell me that we could hike the ball at 39 seconds and kneeling would guarantee it would run out. but again, Im sure the coaches told him to run around on all 3 plays and he didnt want to go against what they said even though he probably figured a kneeldown would kill the clock

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2010, 01:59 PM
If it was me, I'd have done it the first two times, then simple math would tell me that we could hike the ball at 39 seconds and kneeling would guarantee it would run out. but again, Im sure the coaches told him to run around on all 3 plays and he didnt want to go against what they said even though he probably figured a kneeldown would kill the clock

yeah but i'm saying i'd take running around 3 times with landry over kneeling 3 times... if that was a choice.
You're probably right.. they probably told him to run clock off every time. He was just too darn good at it the first two times that he didn't have to do it the last time.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2010, 02:00 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that , that Stanford D Player took a Cheap shot on LJ ? LJ was already Going down when the Dude knocked the **** out of him .

Nope. Agree completely. The game was over. Landry was running backwards. Just let it go.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 02:05 PM

I just watch the replay and I don't agree. The end was completely unblocked and Landry was still upright. The end actually had a decent chance to knock the ball out since he was coming in full speed from the blind side and we didn't have anyone back to stop a fumble return. If the situation was reversed, we would have cheered our DE not giving up on the game and trying to make something happen.

olevetonahill
1/1/2010, 02:08 PM
Thats yer right to disagree , But Ill disagree with you
The Game was Over and I didnt say LJ was down . I said he was already Going down .

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2010, 02:15 PM
I just watch the replay and I don't agree. The end was completely unblocked and Landry was still upright. The end actually had a decent chance to knock the ball out since he was coming in full speed from the blind side and we didn't have anyone back to stop a fumble return. If the situation was reversed, we would have cheered our DE not giving up on the game and trying to make something happen.

I had forgotten that the ball was semi close to being knocked out..

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 02:26 PM
I'll just say that last series was awkward on our part and the coaches should file it away for next year. The situation inherently had very little risk for something going wrong, but we increased that risk significantly by our own decisions from the sidelines.

sooner59
1/1/2010, 02:49 PM
OU WINS SUN BOWL!!! :D

OUmillenium
1/1/2010, 03:00 PM
They did not want to risk a fumble. They did the right thing. I cannot imagine why anyone wpuld take issue with their decision.

Yeah, what he said.

VA Sooner
1/1/2010, 05:50 PM
The coaches' math was correct... Landry needed to run a little clock off the first two downs to make sure Stanford didn't have a chance to create another Boise State nightmare for us.

Landry just needs a little practice at that... so he doesn't get crushed from the blindside again.

Laughed hard when I saw Stoops running to call a time out so the boys would reverse out of the hurry-up offense and go to ball control, clock management offense. So automatic with Wilson's offense, ehh?

Partial Qualifier
1/1/2010, 05:56 PM
The coaches' math was correct... Landry needed to run a little clock off the first two downs to make sure Stanford didn't have a chance to create another Boise State nightmare for us.

Landry just needs a little practice at that... so he doesn't get crushed from the blindside again.

This.

correct plays were called; they just need to get Landry familiarized with how to handle that situation. He obviously hadn't been in that situation before.

I Am Right
1/1/2010, 06:26 PM
Can anyone post highlights from the game?