PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Gonzaga Recap

Sooner04
1/1/2010, 02:36 AM
New Year's in Spokane. What a lovely proposition. Ranks right up there with Easter in Beirut and Christmas in Vladivostok. But with OU BBall withdrawals arriving with each passing cold front I found myself eager to watch tonight's game as the holiday week wore on. That yearning lasted all of about five minutes into tonight's telecast when it appeared the UTEP game intercepted ESPN2's broadcast signal.

No fire.
No aggression.
No clue, basically, on the defensive end.

I'd had enough. My dogs had had enough. Even Jeff Capel had had enough. Know how I know that? "Gamma" Ray Willis appeared out of the cheap seats down on the end of the bench and, in a flurry I still haven't recovered from, hit two quick threes. Andrew Fitzgerald, in his first start, provided solid production. Orlando Allen brushed off the cobwebs and threw his big body around a bit.

Did it matter in the end? Tonight? Of course not. But it was refreshing to see guys on the floor who wanted to be out there and looked thrilled to be given the opportunity regardless of the circumstances. I weep for the "look at me" grandiose that plagues sports these days, but I'd also like to see our guys not look so "meh" when they're getting their butts kicked. We lost, and we lost handily, but seeing a different cast of characters throwing their hats in the ring at least gives me something to think about and something for Capel to tinker with. I'm eternally positive when it comes to OU Basketball, so the new spices on the rack are at least a start.

I have no answers. I am but a simple man. If I had the magic elixir to clear the malaise that seems to follow this team around like that cloud that hung over Pigpen in the old Charlie Brown cartoons I'd be making a whole lot more money than I am right now. I'm a glutton for punishment ( I root for the Padres and Vikings for God's sake) so I'm ready to see what springs off the drawing board. The Maryland-Eastern Shore game should provide Capel with a large canvas and a broad brush. The colors he uses will be comprised of guys who WANT to be a part of the picture.

If they're not, I really don't know if I'll be able to express my disappointment.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st -12 [hungover sasquatch]
2nd - 22 [I'm dreaming of a White Christmas.....]
3rd - 20 [No I'm not! Take it back! It's awful! Oh, the humanity!]
4th - 15 [coagulated egg nog]

LEADING SCORERS:
19 - Willie Warren
13 - Andrew Fitzgerald [nice job, kid.]

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
5 - Andrew Fitzgerald
5 - Keith Gallon

PLUSES:
1. Andrew Fitzgerald: The pickings here are as slim as that turkey the Griswolds trotted out in Christmas Vacation, but I'm very proud of the way Andrew played tonight. It's hard to toot the horn over moral victories mere months removed from a run to the Elite 8, but this is what we've got right now. A few years ago Capel tried to spice things up in the starting lineup by throwing Tony Neysmith in the mix. Remember him? Me neither. But Andrew took his chance and ran with it. Good on him to post 13 and 5.

2. "Gamma" Ray Willis: As the President, CEO and largest shareholder in the Ray Willis fanclub, you can imagine the palpatations my cold heart waded through when the "Gamma" Ray strolled off the bench and hit a pair of quick treys to keep us close in the first half. We always knew Ray had offensive ability, but what was nice to see was Ray's activity on the defensive end. I hope he gets more playing time because he brought energy out there. He should become more acclimated with court time, but one thing must improve: 17 minutes, zero rebounds. Oi!

3. Tommy Mason-Griffin: Ten assists, one turnover. Against a BIG team too. Had to be hard for him to see out there.

4. Gonzaga: That was pretty ruthless out there tonight. They made the extra dribble, the extra pass and drained damn near every open shot for 30 minutes. They appear to be much tougher than the Morrison teams from four or five years ago. This group is pretty good.

MINUSES:
1. Attitude: Yeah. Um.....right. OK, WHAT THE HELL was that leaving the lane, Keith? Bush league moves like that will remove any cute nickname you have from ever being uttered during one of these recaps. Man up. But,for now, since your momma named you Keith, i'ma call you Keith. I don't care if you did bring down the rim and backboard. Capel didn't know what to say. The assistant was cussing him as he walked off the floor and Keith couldn't have looked any less interested. Awful, awful, awful.

2. Willie Warren: Got to be more assertive. I'd have remarks about his attitude if not for the ridiculous display by Keith to wrap up another sucking chest wound of a loss.

3. Tony Crocker: Seniors on the road have got to provide more than five points and a lone rebound.

4. Cade Davis: goose egg.

8-5 with one more cupcake to go before we begin to wade through the most difficult conference slate in the country. The Big 12 is a meatgrinder this season, and effort like we received tonight from out better players will get us run out of most gyms in the blink of an eye. Time is running out to cure what plagues this bunch. Drastic measures will have to be taken to avoid this being the most disappointing season of OU BBall since 1980.

I'm ready to see what happens. But, then again, I'm a glutton for punishment. I hope a few of you are too, because it might be pretty lonely inside the Lloyd Noble Center come Monday night.

Thank you for your time.

OUSKINS
1/1/2010, 09:29 AM
Losing to Gonzaga certainly isn't our worst loss of the year, but to me, it was probably the most disappointing. Given 10 days to prepare we came out and played pretty much exactly like we did against UTEP and in every other game this year (Utah being the one exception).

There is a small element of bad luck involved, as the Zags were absolutely scorching from the three point line--- we gave them a bunch of open looks, but they were also swishing contested shots. But bad luck seems to go hand in hand with poor play, and we are playing very poorly.

Andrew Fitzgerald and Ray Willis did a nice job last night-- everyone else was subpar. Clearly, we have some extremely gifted individual scoreres-- putting the ball in the hoop is not an issue for this team-- but our defense is atrocious and offensively there is no flow. This team is disjointed and confused and and honestly, they just aren't any good.

Gotta point a finger at Capel here. The team simply looks too ugly to not blame coaching right now. Capel certainly KNOWS what's going on-- his comments continue to reflect pretty much everything we say about the team--- last night after the game he said "talent is overrated" and "we have a long way to go before becoming a good team." He's not blowing smoke or giving coach-speak about how close they are, blah blah blah. He knows. But can he do anything about it?

I'm a Capel fan as you all know. He's obviously an ace recruiter and I really liked what he did on the floor with his first three teams-- especially in his second year when most people thought we'd be an NIT team and we wound us a #6 seed in the Dance. I think the history is there that tells us that Capel can coach. But right now, I don't think he has any clue what direction to take this team. His rotations are choppy and his mannerisms suggest some serious frustration. Seriously, a 10 day layoff is as long as you will ever get in college hoops and the results were almost identically from one game to the next. Not good.

Where do we go from here?

Gotta assume we'll beat Eastern Shore on Monday night-- that will put us at 9-5 in the non conference, with 3 of those losses being considered close to "bad losses." In my opinion, 9-7 is the WORST we could possibly do and still make the tourney. 18-12 overall and a winning record in the highly regarded Big 12 would probably get you in or at least get you close-- a win or two in the conference tourney would probably seal it. If we go 10-6 we're a lock. I actually think we'd have a shot at 8-8 if we do well in the conference and/or if we managed to upset UT or KU to give us a major RPI boost. 7-9 will almost certainly land us in the NIT. 6-10 may send us to the CBI tournament they started a couple of years ago, which would almost be worse than not going to the post-season at all.

My prediction? I think we go 7-9 and sneak into the NIT. We will go 0-3 against KU and UT, getting trounced on the road-- maybe we keep it respectable against UT in Norman. We'll do OK at home and really struggle on the road. I also fear that our mastery of Baylor may finally end-- never lost to them in hoops or football, which is an amazing stat. We open Big 12 play next Saturday in Waco-- this might be their best chance to end the streak.

Several weeks ago, AG said it was going to be a long year-- I kind of wanted to take a wait and see on that, but now, I think he's right. Just hoping we make it to the NIT so we can get some extra reps going into next year.

ndpruitt03
1/1/2010, 12:26 PM
I'm not even sure this team is good enough to win ANY games in the Big 12 right now. Maybe Colorado that's about it. There's certainly no teams in the South we can beat.

Eielson
1/1/2010, 02:23 PM
If we go to the NCAA Tournament, we win the Big XII Tournament. That's the most likely scenario.

Sooner04
1/1/2010, 02:33 PM
I'm not even sure this team is good enough to win ANY games in the Big 12 right now. Maybe Colorado that's about it. There's certainly no teams in the South we can beat.
And that's pretty much why I've ignored every bit of analysis you've provided on every board under your myriad of names.

the_ouskull
1/1/2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah, he's a tool, but there are times where, watching this team, I wonder whether or not he's right. I mean, to have a young player the quality of Fitzgerald sitting on half as many minutes as unproductive senior Ryan Wright, and only twice the minutes of Orlando "good thing I'm tall" Allen in what is fairly safe to call a wash of a season isn't a good idea, long-term. I mean, if the off-of-the-court chemistry is already shot, then you have to at least try to find a unit with some on-the-court chemistry that will translate into wins, regardless of who you put on the floor or their talent level.

the_ouskull

Bourbon St Sooner
1/4/2010, 02:19 PM
Luckily, I forgot to DVR the game.

Our leading rebounder had 5? New Year's morning puke.

okienole3
1/4/2010, 07:38 PM

Zepp?

Sooner04
1/4/2010, 08:31 PM
Zepp?
oh yeah. it's him.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/4/2010, 09:28 PM
Zepp?

Did you need to ask? Can't you tell by the stupid *** posts?

okienole3
1/4/2010, 09:31 PM
Did you need to ask? Can't you tell by the stupid *** posts?

touche'

StoopTroup
1/4/2010, 09:52 PM
knew it day one