PDA

View Full Version : Toby

Leroy Lizard
12/31/2009, 09:50 PM
I think he deserves a hand. He is a helluva player, and it is a testament to our D that he didn't break us completely. He should have won the Heisman.

Soonermagik
12/31/2009, 09:52 PM
I'm with you. The guy got screwed out of the Heisman, because he played at Stanford and not Alabama.

Even with us loading the box he had a ton of yards. I hope the kid gets a legit shot at the next level.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2009, 09:56 PM
Dang, I just started my Gerhart thread and pretty much said the same thing.

Legit shot at the next level? I assume he'll be a high draft pick.

DarrellZero
12/31/2009, 09:57 PM
Guy's a stud, no doubt.

Unfortunately for him, though, Stanford's a one-trick pony, and he's the trick.

CBUS_SOONER
12/31/2009, 10:01 PM
Not bad for a white boy

Soonerfan88
12/31/2009, 10:07 PM
He played a great game today and I wish him well in the NFL.

Monster Zero
12/31/2009, 10:22 PM
Hats off to the guy. Good player, seems like a good young man, etc. Hope he makes it at the next level like Larry Csonka or John Riggins.

Rogue
12/31/2009, 10:24 PM
I was surprised at how powerful he is.
Thought it might just seem that way against PAC 10 defenses.

Breadburner
12/31/2009, 10:43 PM
He aint no AD....He is a serious short yardage threat....Not going to give you 25 carries a game in the NFL......

Jello Biafra
12/31/2009, 11:19 PM
think MLB guys. hes not going to the nfl.

rawlingsHOH
12/31/2009, 11:34 PM
If he can get a big bonus, I'd go baseball too. I don't think he's an NFL starter.

He did impress me today. More than the other games I watched him. Broke a lot of tackles. But it is a lot of it is scheme. Denver Broncos/Cal Bears cut the hell out of the D-Line. Made Terrell Davis a 2,000 yard runner.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2009, 11:46 PM
I don't think he is MLB material. I think he'll do fine in the NFL.

StoopTroup
12/31/2009, 11:46 PM
At best he could maybe be a short yardage guy like Rocky Blier was for the steelers....but win the Heisman? Suh in the backfield for Nebraska might be better than Toby.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 12:01 AM
Defensive players are not given serious consideration for the Heisman. If they changed that system, I'd give it to Suh. (If only Suh had played receiver like Woodson...)

I stick by my opinion Gerhart deserved the Heisman more than the other contenders this year. If Ingram doesn't play that 13th game, he would have won. It doesn't matter what sort of NFL player he'll make.

My money would be on him doing fine in the NFL, but I don't bet sports.

Scott D
1/1/2010, 12:05 AM
Well, Gerhart wins if they played ND the same week as the CCG's. The fact that Ingram over the Gators D was fresher in their minds than Gerhart running wild over the Domers won Ingram the trophy.

PLaw
1/1/2010, 01:00 AM
I think he deserves a hand. He is a helluva player, and it is a testament to our D that he didn't break us completely. He should have won the Heisman.

Steve Owens reincarnated.

Boomer

sooneredaco
1/1/2010, 01:13 AM
He's a great player. From everything I've heard and read on him, he's an even better student and person. I agree with one of the posts above... he should have won the little stiff arm guy. But Ingram was also very deserving. Just glad pony boy or Apostle Tim did t win it.

bringit
1/1/2010, 01:24 AM
Toby good, Suh great

Sonner magic923
1/1/2010, 01:38 AM
Mike Alstott type of career, hopefully without trashing his neck

Pricetag
1/1/2010, 01:45 AM
No doubt, tough not to pull for him. The real testament to our D is that he got his, but we still won.

VA Sooner
1/1/2010, 02:24 AM
Gerhart is a beast... knew he was coming at us with the ball and he still got yards.

It did teach the young 'uns that he wasn't going down with just a push or a dive at his feet... he started losing production once our D figured out they had to wrap up on him to tackle... much better in the second half with better tackling.

Guy looked like he squats about 800 pounds though, the way he carried defenders with him.

cvsooner
1/1/2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, his first TD run, Reynolds actually has a pretty good angle on him and then doesn't wrap up, and then T. Lewis whiffs on him. Much better tackling in the second half, I thought (holding them to three points is proof).

No Luck
1/5/2010, 02:24 AM
'Sup guys, got back and had a few comments on the game. Nice job pulling off the win and pretty much dominating most of the game.

1. It was good just to be in a bowl game, but it felt like our '08 5-7 team with no QB play. Oklahoma's defense looked really good.
2. First time I've heard people say we're a dirty team. Looks like some people here don't like players who transfer out...
3. I was really happy to see the respect for Toby on this board. With 9-10 in the box he still got 130+ on a very good run defense (Harbaugh called it the best we've seen). It's a testament to our offense that we could get 27 on you guys with no QB to speak of.

4. Luck's injury probably cost us the game IMO. There were many opportunities with receivers where Pritchard simply missed the target. Luck hits those. I think a game with Bradford and Luck would have been great to watch. Two great QB's (of course Bradford is more proven, but Luck will be up there). Landry Jones is a good QB but our secondary makes anyone look good (AZ's Nick Foles went 40-51 against us).

5. Harbaugh: lots of people starting to hate Harbaugh on the west coast, too, because he's winning. I can see why opposing fans would like him. He's VERY intense on the field and argues a lot of calls. If you listen to his interviews, though, he comes across as very humble and a nice guy. He stands up for his players 100% and takes the blame for his losses, often pointing out specific play calls he'd like to have back. I talked to him once for a couple minutes and he's a great guy in person. But yeah, he does change out on the field.

6. Yeah, the PAC-10 had a terrible bowl run this year. Maybe we're not quite as good as we thought. Still, it's narrow-minded to judge a whole conference just on the bowl games. We have plenty of non-conference wins this year over well-known programs and many other mediocre teams kept scores close against teams that did well in the end. I thought Stanford held up its end keeping it close against a very good OU team, without its starting QB.

It's hard to argue against 33-0 though. Back to square 1.

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2010, 02:32 AM
I certainly think that if Luck had played, it would have been much closer. Not sure if it would have the difference. But keep in mind that we played with our backup QB as well, who has less experience as a starter than your backup.

I don't think Stanford would have stood up to Bradford. But with Bradford we're not playing Stanford anyway.

A lot of Sooner fans didn't like Harbaugh's arguing of calls, but Stoops is well known for it too.

What does 33-0 refer?

Frozen Sooner
1/5/2010, 02:50 AM
I'm with you. The guy got screwed out of the Heisman, because he played at Stanford and not Alabama.

Even with us loading the box he had a ton of yards. I hope the kid gets a legit shot at the next level.

This makes no sense. Up until this year, Stanford had won more Heismans than Alabama. :P

No Luck
1/5/2010, 02:51 AM
I don't think Stanford would have stood up to Bradford. But with Bradford we're not playing Stanford anyway.

Exactly. OU football in 2009 basically didn't include Bradford, while Luck got us to the Sun Bowl.

While I wouldn't predict us winning a game with Luck and Bradford in, I think it would be closer than you might think. Our secondary is so bad that we couldn't give up THAT many more yards against any QB, whereas our passing game would have improved tremendously with Luck (since Pritchard is pretty bad and your secondary is solid). Either way it would be fun to watch.

33-0 was the Nebraska-Arizona score.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2010, 10:08 AM
Exactly. OU football in 2009 basically didn't include Bradford, while Luck got us to the Sun Bowl.

While I wouldn't predict us winning a game with Luck and Bradford in, I think it would be closer than you might think. Our secondary is so bad that we couldn't give up THAT many more yards against any QB, whereas our passing game would have improved tremendously with Luck (since Pritchard is pretty bad and your secondary is solid). Either way it would be fun to watch.

33-0 was the Nebraska-Arizona score.

although i dont remember anyone calling you guys dirty, cut blocks are reserved for the dirtiest teams. as a former lineman, this was the most feared tactic and your lineman used it A LOT. it is typically reserved for undersized lineman who simply dont have the size or strength to hold their own. after beeler got his facemask caved in by mccoy in the first quarter i figured he would be the target of a few attempted cuts. you really dont think adrian taylors injury was just a freak accident do you? there is no video evidence left (unless there are people out there that havent erased yet) but i could have sworn on that tackle there was a lineman diving at taylors feet while gerhart was in the grasp of taylor and reynolds. maybe just seeing things because it happened quickly.

anyway, matters not. good hard fought game. toby got his and i am just glad this season is over.....jeesus...who would have thought we would have finished the season with that Oline? tackle at center. a dlineman moved to the oline...down to our 3rd tight end....man glad its done.

Scott D
1/5/2010, 08:54 PM
This makes no sense. Up until this year, Stanford had won more Heismans than Alabama. :P

Ahh memories of Jim Plunkett throwing the ball all over the place against that San Diego defense.

Frozen Sooner
1/5/2010, 10:13 PM
Ahh memories of Jim Plunkett throwing the ball all over the place against that San Diego defense.

A retarded monkey could have thrown all over some of those San Diego defenses.

Have I mentioned that Kenny Stabler's daughter is in a bunch of my classes? We give each other Raider/Charger grief a lot.

Scott D
1/6/2010, 09:39 PM
She wins the cool points over you my friend.

CrimsonCommando
1/6/2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah Toby had a very good game. I thought both teams made this an exciting bowl game to watch. While Toby may have played like he had an extra testicle, our youngins like Ronell and King were ripping nutsacks off left and right. You are forbidden to lose when your player with his ankle facing 180 the wrong way is calling his brothers out from the cart.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2010, 11:24 PM
She wins the cool points over you my friend.

A lot better looking than I am, too.

picasso
1/6/2010, 11:42 PM
Taylor was cut blocked and Broyles was steam rolled in an effort to get him out of the game.

That's why our team got fired up.

Leroy Lizard
1/7/2010, 12:22 AM
While Toby may have played like he had an extra testicle, our youngins like Ronell and King were ripping nutsacks off left and right.

You need some female companionship.