PDA

View Full Version : Impact of Recruiting when ending year with a bowl win....

spatton713
12/31/2009, 08:54 PM
think it will boost our already #1 caliber recruiting class?

Scott D
12/31/2009, 08:58 PM
who knows, Meyergate is already costing Florida, a top recruit just decommitted from Tebow U and verballed Free Shoes U.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/31/2009, 08:59 PM
probably not. if so, not much.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2009, 09:05 PM
Yes. We should shoot all the way up to #0. :D

Seriously, though, I doubt it. The caliber of player we're normally looking at isn't going to get super-duper excited about a Sun Bowl Championship to the point where it influences their decision.

Soonermagik
12/31/2009, 09:45 PM
I say yes.

The reason is many coaches that are recruiting against us tell recruits we can't win bowl games. I know this wasn't a bcs win, but Stanford wasn't some chump team. We ended the season on a positive note in the state of Texas a recruiting hot bed.

Stoops can tell recruits with their help we can win even bigger bowl games. Recruiting is a nasty business, and other teams will use every angle possible to lure recruits away from an opposing school.

mightysooner
12/31/2009, 09:58 PM
No

Soonerfan88
12/31/2009, 10:01 PM
I just want to know if we can get K. Boone because of the TT debacle.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Kadron-Boone-88356

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2009, 10:03 PM
Prolly not, but we'll never know unless some kid make a statement that it was a factor. I just want to hold on to all the verbals we have and maybe pickup a last second plum recruit that hasn't commited.

misplacedsooner
12/31/2009, 10:07 PM
i think it will help to win more than hurt...hows that?

tulsaoilerfan
12/31/2009, 10:08 PM
Check back in about 2011

Since71ASooner4Life
1/1/2010, 08:35 AM
Look at it from the other side - how would our national image / mistique have been influenced if we lose yet another bowl game last night? People outside of the Big 12 know about Sam Bradford being injured, but how many really identify with all of the other injuries when drawing conclusions about us if we finish 7-6? Yea, most of our recruits are from Big-12 country, but how about kids like next year's versions of Brennan Clay, Roy Finch, Tony Jefferson, and Kenny Sills - it's got to be a harder sell if their local teams are winning and we're always losing.

soonerboy
1/1/2010, 09:53 AM
haha ya it cant hurt to win.

OUmillenium
1/1/2010, 11:23 AM
It's Landry's team next year if Blake doesn't explode. Cam signed with Auburn.

MeMyself&Me
1/1/2010, 12:32 PM
Look at it from the other side - how would our national image / mistique have been influenced if we lose yet another bowl game last night? People outside of the Big 12 know about Sam Bradford being injured, but how many really identify with all of the other injuries when drawing conclusions about us if we finish 7-6? Yea, most of our recruits are from Big-12 country, but how about kids like next year's versions of Brennan Clay, Roy Finch, Tony Jefferson, and Kenny Sills - it's got to be a harder sell if their local teams are winning and we're always losing.

I don't think most people outside of Oklahoma knows anything more about OU's injury problems this year than what they know of Bradford. I know the people around here seem to have no clue (Abilene, TX). When I'm asked why OU has struggled this year, they always look at me like I'm giving them an embellished crimson colored excuse when I start listing off the injuries on offense and how those injuries have effected positional lineups.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2010, 12:43 PM

exactly. Losing would have hurt us a lot more than winning will help us.
Losing would have meant putting doubt in a lot of minds of recruits and commits.

Winning helped us keep our commits. It didn't necessarily help us pick up any new recruits. I don't think the bowl game will weigh on them (possible new commits).

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/1/2010, 12:52 PM
It's Landry's team next year if Blake doesn't explode. Cam signed with Auburn. Yeah, Landry's good performance sent Cam Newton to auburn today, i believe.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah, Landry's good performance sent Cam Newton to auburn today, i believe.

he had already taken us out of his list...

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, Landry's good performance sent Cam Newton to auburn today, i believe.

To be honest, watching our o-line allow d-linemen run pass them without any attempt to block them, looked pretty bad. No qb would want any part of that.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 01:03 PM
To be honest, watching our o-line allow d-linemen run pass them without any attempt to block them, looked pretty bad. No qb would want any part of that.

That only happened on a few plays; for the most part, Landry had time as the stats clearly show. It was yet another make-shift line with Trent at center and Mensik at tackle and they did well considering. OU has a history of good O-lines under Stoops and I can't see this year having any impact on recruits. It might make O-line recruits believe they can play early.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/1/2010, 01:04 PM
To be honest, watching our o-line allow d-linemen run pass them without any attempt to block them, looked pretty bad. No qb would want any part of that.Buh-bye Newton, hello Offensive Linemen...well, we can hope.

rawlingsHOH
1/1/2010, 01:35 PM
little impact. 90% of kids are already committed. and some of our best classes have come after bowl losses. 2004, 2008 etc.

Dan Thompson
1/1/2010, 01:40 PM
I really liked the 90+ yard TD drive that took less than 2 minutes.

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2010, 02:19 PM
Buh-bye Newton, hello Offensive Linemen...well, we can hope.

We're looking at Cullen out of California. He said last week that the coaches sort of held back what they really have at the tackle position, because he saw Donald Stephenson tearing it up in practice. Stoops said Donlad was one of the top 3 lineman before being ineligible. Hopefully Cullen realizes that we still need him, because DS is only one lineman, and he may screw up in class again.

delhalew
1/1/2010, 02:22 PM
Um...bowl win better than kick in the teeth.

IronHorseSooner
1/1/2010, 08:00 PM
If DS gets his act together, he could shore up the RT spot. As well as Mensik has played, I still view him as a blocking TE.

Monster Zero
1/2/2010, 09:59 AM
I just want to know if we can get K. Boone because of the TT debacle.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Kadron-Boone-88356

Good question. I won't be surprised if Tech's whole recruiting class backs off after this deal. Who'd want to go to school at a place run by such a slimy bunch?

StoopTroup
1/2/2010, 10:43 AM
Having a Fan Base that buys out Road Games and Bowl Games is another plus for recruiting IMO.
The Sooners on TV and it's a Road Game or Bowl Game and you can hear Sooner Fans Rooting their Team on...it's just another feather in the cap. You know there is something special about a program that has continued to compete at the highest levels of Div IA Football.

A trip to Norman even if not on a Bowl Game has to help too.

Add Bob Stoops and his Staff to the mix and your going to get most of the guys you need.

This stuff that one player is going to win a National championship for you has never worked for me anyway. We'll win with a good Team. It's always been that way. If someone get the greatest HS player to ever grace a gridiron...it doesn't worry me in the least. Prima Donnas are bad for a Team. Ask Mike Leach about that.

adoniijahsooner
1/2/2010, 10:52 AM
Having a Fan Base that buys out Road Games and Bowl Games is another plus for recruiting IMO.
The Sooners on TV and it's a Road Game or Bowl Game and you can hear Sooner Fans Rooting their Team on...it's just another feather in the cap. You know there is something special about a program that has continued to compete at the highest levels of Div IA Football.

A trip to Norman even if not on a Bowl Game has to help too.

Add Bob Stoops and his Staff to the mix and your going to get most of the guys you need.

This stuff that one player is going to win a National championship for you has never worked for me anyway. We'll win with a good Team. It's always been that way. If someone get the greatest HS player to ever grace a gridiron...it doesn't worry me in the least. Prima Donnas are bad for a Team. Ask Mike Leach about that.

I really like this post!