PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in the El Paso Airport . . .

Phil
12/31/2009, 07:07 PM
straight from the game. Lots of d o uchebag Texas t-shirt fans had nothing better to do today (like work) so they came to the game. There was a moronic woman sitting in front of me (who I can guarantee never saw the inside of a classroom at any college) throwing her hookem and thumbs up and professing to be both a UT and A&M fan.

On the other hand, the Stanford drum major was dressed like a giant skunk, and that can't help but make your day.

It seemed like the game would never end, though, especially since I had to scoot to make my plane. We've got the offense so indoctrinated to the hurry-up that even Wilson can't figure out how to run clock. Drove me crazy there for a while.

I left when Stanford took their first time out with 3 minutes and change left, so I didn't miss any excitement, anyway.

Also, Big 10 refs = teh suck. That call that gave them the ball on the punt interference might have been the most awful call I've seen all year, and that's saying something this year.

theresonly1OU
12/31/2009, 07:08 PM
Wait...

...el paso has an airport?

badger
12/31/2009, 07:09 PM
Can you give a recap of the Stanford band's halftime? I am kind of curious. Also, any kewl pregame thing featuring something El Paso-like?

Blues1
12/31/2009, 07:12 PM
I Only saw That "Green Thing" Once -- Thank GOd ~~~ :)

okiedokie
12/31/2009, 07:17 PM
There was a moronic woman sitting in front of me (who I can guarantee never saw the inside of a classroom at any college) throwing her hookem and thumbs up and professing to be both a UT and A&M fan.

She was a UT fan so 6th grade is about it. :)

soonerboy
12/31/2009, 07:20 PM
Ya I just got back, I sat in General Admission...bad choice, I sat with some good people from Ok. But we were surrounded by the scum of the earth and that made it miserable, those jack***es had nothing better to do but come and hope OU lost, bunch of ignorant fagots. Thanks for listening

swardboy
12/31/2009, 07:20 PM
I had the "Homewrecker" burrito from Moe's right before the game.....

Hot Rod
12/31/2009, 07:30 PM
Texas fans choosing to see a Sooners' potential win? That makes a lot of sense.

nmsoonergirl
12/31/2009, 07:42 PM
The skunk drum major story made my day, and I wasn't even there. Thanks.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2009, 07:44 PM
I saw that one of the drummers was playing a kitchen sink.

soonerboy
12/31/2009, 07:45 PM
No basically what Stanfords band did was...The drum major dressed up like a big skunk with the stanford S on the ***hole then they wore red coats with gilligans island hats with a bunch of pins in them, the tubas had like weird stuff painted on them such as weed plants and peace signs and such business, and they ran out on the field with that tree thing and danced in no organized manner what so ever, then they did so much stupid stuff it was ridiculous.

okiedokie
12/31/2009, 07:53 PM
The Stanford Band looked alot like if TGI Fridays was having a company get together.....love the flair!! :-)

soonerboy
12/31/2009, 08:00 PM
the flair....no it was retarded is what it was

meoveryouxinfinity
12/31/2009, 08:03 PM
the flair....no it was retarded is what it was

yes. It looked just plain stupid.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/31/2009, 08:29 PM
Texas fans choosing to see a Sooners' potential win? That makes a lot of sense.I went with 2 other Sooner fans to that tx-tOSU game in the Fiesta Bowl last yr, hoping for the whorns to lose. It was something to do, and I only coughed up $25 for my ticket.(alas, the more repulsive team prevailed)

BajaOklahoma
12/31/2009, 10:01 PM
The Stanford Admin got rid of the band for a couple of years - due to embarassment over some of their halftime shows. They let them come back, but under strict rules and everything has to be approved.
I miss the old Stanford band.

We are going to the Cotton Bowl Saturday. Taking my nephew, a misguided poke. The 6 tickets and excellent parking pass were free, so why not? I will be in black and enjoying stadium.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/31/2009, 10:06 PM
Phil, I was waiting for your call to take you to the airport..glad it worked out for ya though!

olevetonahill
12/31/2009, 10:11 PM
Phil, I was waiting for your call to take you to the airport..glad it worked out for ya though!

Was wondering if you left early to take him .

Phil
12/31/2009, 11:33 PM

Sorry about that - plans changed and I was going to call you during the game, but my phone crapper out on me. I ended up changing my flight to come in Wednesday and I got a rental car.

StoopTroup
12/31/2009, 11:42 PM
STEP left without paying my dinner tab. :D ;)

btk108
1/1/2010, 01:47 AM
STEP left without paying my dinner tab. :D ;)

and the big surprise is?

NMSooner'80
1/1/2010, 06:18 PM
I rode down from Albuquerque the morning of the game with a friend and his kids. I'm glad I didn't spend much money in Texas for the game (the ticket, which I bought on-line; a bottle of water at the game and a soda and pretzels after the game). We deliberately waited to get back to New Mexico to eat dinner, after seeing those locals showing up in UT attire to root against us.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. When UTEP came to Albuquerque for a game with UNM in '06, more of their fans were wearing Longhorn gear than Miners' stuff. Fittingly, they showed up as cocky as their adopted Bevoid brethren, and they got their butts handed to them by the Lobos.

JLEW1818
1/1/2010, 08:25 PM
Silly horns

bluedogok
1/1/2010, 09:51 PM
I rode down from Albuquerque the morning of the game with a friend and his kids. I'm glad I didn't spend much money in Texas for the game (the ticket, which I bought on-line; a bottle of water at the game and a soda and pretzels after the game). We deliberately waited to get back to New Mexico to eat dinner, after seeing those locals showing up in UT attire to root against us.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. When UTEP came to Albuquerque for a game with UNM in '06, more of their fans were wearing Longhorn gear than Miners' stuff. Fittingly, they showed up as cocky as their adopted Bevoid brethren, and they got their butts handed to them by the Lobos.
What's funny is a large amount of the people that my wife knows in the area feel like they should be in New Mexico instead of Texas. I guess if the Lobos or Aggies were doing well those bandwagoners would be wearing their stuff instead.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/1/2010, 10:33 PM
Lots of d o uchebag Texas t-shirt fans had nothing better to do today (like work)

Well drug running is really a night job.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2010, 10:36 PM
In retrospect, I guess it's a good thing a bunch of horn fans showed up. I'm sure they were pulling for us as conference brethren and our victory made them really happy.

:D

King Barry's Back
1/1/2010, 11:01 PM
No basically what Stanfords band did was...The drum major dressed up like a big skunk with the stanford S on the ***hole then they wore red coats with gilligans island hats with a bunch of pins in them, the tubas had like weird stuff painted on them such as weed plants and peace signs and such business, and they ran out on the field with that tree thing and danced in no organized manner what so ever, then they did so much stupid stuff it was ridiculous.

That exactly summarizes EVERY Stanford band halftime show of the past 25+ years.

Well, the skunk is new, as far as I know.

Honestly, that "band" offers nothing to the world. I'm very suprised that that university is interested in perpetuating that "tradition." Is it purely a function of Standford is too cheap to spend any money on their band?
--------------
RE: TX-shirt wearing fans at the Sun Bowl...

Yeah, I saw a couple right off the bat, and I was watching on TV.

At first I thought they were jerks, then I realized if undefeated OU was playing in the national championship, and 5-loss TX was playing in the Mediocre Bowl in my hometown -- I'd go out and razz the horns on their craptacular season, too.

So we just have to suck it up til we get better.

NMSooner'80
1/3/2010, 04:11 PM
Ya I just got back, I sat in General Admission...bad choice, I sat with some good people from Ok. But we were surrounded by the scum of the earth and that made it miserable, those jack***es had nothing better to do but come and hope OU lost, bunch of ignorant fagots. Thanks for listening

It was so much more fun to be in an "OU section" in the second half. I imagine many of those clowns wearing UT shirts have never been anywhere near Austin before.

This is also a reminder of what we had to deal with from those idiots, and a reminder of why we need to see the Tide ROLL on Thursday night.

bluedogok
1/3/2010, 05:16 PM
Watch any UTEP game on TV and a good 30-40% of the crowd is in Whorns gear.

SoonerMom2
1/3/2010, 11:25 PM
Except for four obnoxious people wearing Dallas Cowboy gear about four rows back of us, we were surrounded by Sooner fans having a good time.

Stanford band led by the skunk was totally classless and their playing through the award ceremony said it all. Their halftime show was stupid and the weed painted on their tuba was even dumber. Was not impressed with anyone I met from Stanford but we did meet some really nice people from El Paso who were originally from OK and others who were pulling for the Sooners.

One guy at the hotel thought that Longhorn fans are obnoxious but not as obnoxious as the Stanford stuck ups at our hotel. He said the Sooner fans he met at the hotel were great and left good tips while Stanford people were cheap and Longhorn fans are always cheap.

bluedogok
1/3/2010, 11:39 PM
Well, to be fair most Whorn fans think just merely being in their presence is "tip" enough.

There is a pretty large contingent of Stanford (Bay Area in general) refugees here in Austin because of the tech industry, most of the Whorns think they are pretentious jerks....which is kind of humorous.